F&C Trip to Scotland - Gauging Interest & Opinions - Booked!

General area & dates of possible Scotland trip

• Highlands

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Lowlands

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Arran or another island

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • September 2018

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • October 2018

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • November 2018

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What if I get a really big tent and paint it to look like a caravan?
Surely you can just laser cut yourself a van. Actually, a really big Chroma that you can sleep in would be a great Chroma marketing tool :exit:

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has been proposed already, but I was considering placing a film order for some portra 160 sheets for this trip (from where I've not decided yet) and wondered if people were interested in a bulk film purchase. The good thing here is that only a single delivery charge will be shared, as it can all come with me (or who ever places the order if not me) and distributed once we're all there.

So, for those potentially interested:

Who would people prefer any order be placed with? (AG, maco direct, etc etc)
What would you like to purchase?
Any aversion to a particular supplier?

:)

Just had a quick look and the cheapest i can find is £47.99 + VAT happy to grab a few boxes and bring it with me. If anybody can find it cheaper then obvs happy to go with that.
?

Any interest in this or is it just me and Woodsy?

I've just Googled Provia and found that it's a reversal film (you can tell that I'm not into colour); given that I can't project 5x4 even if I wanted to, it would be a medium for prints; and given the lower dynamic range of reversal compared to negative films (I assume that this is still the case/applies to Provia) it seems less than ideal for me. So, probably not interested - but it was a nice thought, and thanks. Now if Cibachrome were still available, I could be tempted...

Not sure where the group buy will be from, but I'm sure they don't just sell Provia lol. If you want black and white or colour negative then I'm sure there will be options for that too (y)

Carl, I think you will find that Jonathan and Nick are wanting to buy Portra 160.(y)

Carl, I think you will find that Jonathan and Nick are wanting to buy Portra 160.(y)

No no, it was a general call for a bulk order placement with a company, not a bulk order of a specific film. It's essentially an opportunity to pay negligible delivery charges once it's divided up between enough people.

It's Scotland in October, perhaps looking for deals on Portra 800 might be more appropriate?! ;)

Teasing aside, I did have a look for you all to see if 7 Day Shop had any Kodak Gold 200 36 exp left as I bought a 5 pack for just over £20 inc delivery last week, but it seems they're out of stock now. Might be worth keeping your eyes open to see if they get any more in at that price; ColorPlus 200 is good as a budget priced film but I find it just a little bit grainy to use for 'best'.

Last edited:
I'm interested @Woodsy potentially in some 8x10 and 4x5 colour neg, plus some roll film. Not sure if it's worth looking at US suppliers depending on the uptake?

I'm interested @Woodsy potentially in some 8x10 and 4x5 colour neg, plus some roll film. Not sure if it's worth looking at US suppliers depending on the uptake?

Cool :) I've never bought from any US suppliers before, but sure, once we know numbers and what the total order might be, we can see who's cheapest :)

No no, it was a general call for a bulk order placement with a company, not a bulk order of a specific film. It's essentially an opportunity to pay negligible delivery charges once it's divided up between enough people.

I understand that, I just thought that peeps were thinking it was Provia only that,s all. Sorry if I confused things.

I must admit that I thought it was just Provia as well. On US suppliers, they are generally cheaper than UK based ones for Ilford film - even after postage etc. I'm not looking for more FP4 at the moment, but on my last iteration of suppliers, B&H got my order (from memory). Then again, things can change from day to day, so this may no longer be true; but others have observed that Ilford film is generally more expensive in the UK than overseas, even after paying shipping and taxes.

After a few PM,s with @Mrs Snap , I’m planning on joining you for the first weekend and camping in the near-by Bunree campsite, so if anyone else is thinking of slumming it in a van or tent then you will have company :)

It will be really good to meet up, looking forward to it.

If you want a pitch by the edge of the loch at the Bunree campsite you'll want to book a "Standard without awning" pitch. Otherwise your view is spoiled by other campers. Site plan is here:

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-sites/scotland/highlands/bunree-caravan-club-site/

I think I've messaged all attendees to confirm final balance costs and payment details. Let me know if you haven't received a PM from me. :)

I have been thinking about what kit to bring (all of it of course :) ) and general logistics and being a complete newbie when it comes to the 4x5 gear what do people do about storing exposed negatives on multi-day trips like this? The obvious but perhaps not so convenient solution would seem to be to process the negs every evening. Another option would be to put them in an old/empty 4x5 box but being new to this I don’t have one, any other alternatives?

Old box for me, but to be honest I rarely shoot enough to warrant emptying the dark slides. I have 9 so I'll not often take 18 shots in one hit. I've got some spare boxes at home I could send them to you if you want.
Annoyingly I'm actually just across the bay from you at the moment in Grange, if I'd known i could have brought them with me.

Definitely old boxes for me, unloading in changing bag/tent at the end of the day and reloading for the following day. It also allows you to tailor your available film holders to the conditions.

Don't forget you'll probably want a box per film type (b&w, c41 and e6) unless you're super confident at identifying via notch codes when you get home.

Old box for me, but to be honest I rarely shoot enough to warrant emptying the dark slides. I have 9 so I'll not often take 18 shots in one hit.
But surely the weather will be glorious, the light perfect and we will be snapping away from dawn 'til dusk :D Besides I've only got 4 so 8 shots over several days is a bit limited.

I've got some spare boxes at home I could send them to you if you want.
Annoyingly I'm actually just across the bay from you at the moment in Grange, if I'd known i could have brought them with me.
Very kind of you to offer, if you could bring a spare box up to Onich I'd be very grateful. Hope you had a good day in Grange, I've been at work near Kirkham, the weather has been a bit rubbish.

Definitely old boxes for me, unloading in changing bag/tent at the end of the day and reloading for the following day. It also allows you to tailor your available film holders to the conditions.

Don't forget you'll probably want a box per film type (b&w, c41 and e6) unless you're super confident at identifying via notch codes when you get home.
I'm only going to have B&W and probably two ISO's so will probably by OK with 1 box.

very kind of you to offer, if you could bring a spare box up to Onich I'd be very grateful. Hope you had a good day in Grange, I've been at work near Kirkham, the weather has been a bit rubbish.

No problems, I'll probably have a couple by then.
Weather has been similar here so went on the Coniston launch and stopped at Brantwood for lunch. Just having a pint or two after tea

Before I had a spare box, I put exposed sheets into a Paterson developing tank for storage in light proof surroundings.

I'm not sure my Paterson tank is big enough, I'll try it out. I have the Stearman Press tank and had thought about using that but then it becomes a bit of a faff when processing.

I have just had another idea though, which is why it's good to talk these things through, and that is to put them back in the original box in a separate envelope. Anyway a few fall back plans but plan A is to take Andy up on his kind offer.

No problems mate, let me have your address and I'll post them to you later in the week.

Back