F&C Trip to Scotland - Gauging Interest & Opinions - Booked!

General area & dates of possible Scotland trip

• Highlands

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Lowlands

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Arran or another island

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • September 2018

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • October 2018

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • November 2018

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is plenty of booze for entertainment.
No one told me that... any places left? :D

Joking aside, I hope everyone has a great time and I'm looking forward to regular updates on progress. As I asked in another thread, will anyone manage to get hold of a roll or two of the new Ektachrome E6 in time for the trip? Now there's a Badger challenge for you. :)

I'm in the fortunate position of having an enormous car all to myself so i'm planning on just chucking the storage boxes everything lives in straight in the boot! My bigger problem is I keep forgetting to check how much film stock I have.
Exactly this, I've just emailed my self to remind me to check film stock tonight...

I take a book for those conditions :D

And speaking of books and things being taken.

If anyone is interested I could bring Graint Haist's Modern Photographic Processing (both volumes) which is often quoted but rarely seen and possibly the Michael Langford book with the interesting illustration of the effect of development and exposure. I think I'll definitely bring the book on using old lenses with LF if I can find it.

I think I'll definitely bring the book on using old lenses with LF if I can find it.

Oh, that sounds interesting.

I've got the latest version of the Darkroom cookbook, a couple of monographs and a couple of technical books I can chuck in.

You know what would be good... Bring your own work.

Has anyone got a photobook of their own stuff or even just prints folk can see. Showing it off digitally is great but nothing bets nice prints for handing round.

I was intending to do that anyway...

You know what would be good... Bring your own work.

Has anyone got a photobook of their own stuff or even just prints folk can see. Showing it off digitally is great but nothing bets nice prints for handing round.

I am by far my own worst critic, so no, I don't have a photobook of my own work :LOL:

I am by far my own worst critic, so no, I don't have a photobook of my own work :LOL:

I don't have a book either, keep meaning to make one as a exercise in itself but never get round to it. But I'm going to see what prints I've got lying around and order some more to bring, probably just 8x10's.

I have real difficulty assessing b&w negs, so I might bring some of them for people's thoughts.

So I've got a lot of film however it's not been well stored and of dubious providence. The sheet stuff is pretty fresh and be fine but the 120 is dodgy as.

I've got some 35mm colour stuff I'm probably never going to use
Also found a 135 LF lens I forgot I had. Kind of scary what you find when you're not looking ...

Just had a practice run packing my carry on bag to see what I can fit in it, and it's not too bad. I've managed to get the Nagaoka, Hasselblad and drone packed so far. I think I'm going to have to leave the Bessa R3a behind though, unless I can convince Angi to give it a home in her carry on bag lol. The plus side to this is that it means I don't have to try and pack any 35mm film! I do have another bag to try yet though so there might be hope yet!

Just had a practice run packing my carry on bag to see what I can fit in it, and it's not too bad. I've managed to get the Nagaoka, Hasselblad and drone packed so far. I think I'm going to have to leave the Bessa R3a behind though, unless I can convince Angi to give it a home in her carry on bag lol. The plus side to this is that it means I don't have to try and pack any 35mm film! I do have another bag to try yet though so there might be hope yet!

Did you manage to get any clothes in the bag as well? ;)

Ive bitten the bullet and paid for hold luggage as well, once I've packed the Chroma with all my jumpers round it in my carry on I'll need somewhere to pack me wellys.

Did you manage to get any clothes in the bag as well? ;)

Haven't even thought about clothes yet, I'll sort that out next Friday about an hour before we leave :LOL:

Shouldn't be too bad though, the only photography gear that's going in our hold luggage suitcase is my tripod and dark cloth, so there should be ample space for my socks. I'm going to wear my coat, thick jumper and boots on the plane too to save space :D

I did a quick stock take on all my film last night, and I apparently have quite a random assortment of film! I need to stock up on colour 4x5 film beforehand, but I'm thinking I'll bring Portra 160 and Tri-X in 120, and FP4 and Portra 160 in 4x5. If I do bring the R3a then I'll bring some 35mm Vista 200 and Tri-X

Are people arriving on the Friday or Saturday? Just trying to work out how early I need to get up to join in on Saturday :D. I will not be there for breakfast!

Are people arriving on the Friday or Saturday? Just trying to work out how early I need to get up to join in on Saturday :D. I will not be there for breakfast!
Saturday Steve. The booking is Sat - Sat. We can get in from 4pm :)

I expect we shall be somewhere :D. We're travelling up from Carlisle on Saturday, but may take a blossom route. Can't pass the Green Welly without stopping; if open Crafts and Things in Glencoe for tea and cake; possibly Cadbury's misshapes from Gretna...

And if anyone is driving and wants fuel, we did find in August that the service station by the Gretna Outlet Village had cheap fuel. It's just a short hop from the motorway and well signed.

@Mrs Snap we're wondering if you would be including some wholemeal bread and Bran Flakes in the bulk order? ETA: own brand Bran Flakes is fine and about half the price of K*...

Last edited:
Which is the whole arc of the road, potentially meaning that the only way south from Kyle of Lochalsh to to go via Inverness. I'm assuming (given the lack of real detail) that the sections closed will be chosen to allow travel from Kyle to go by either Invergarry or Invermoriston which isn't too bad; if the alternative is to travel across country twice to Inverness and back it's going to be a major problem for many.

Nikki and I are leaving Lancaster on Satruday morning to do the remainder of the journey up. It's likely we'll be kicking around well before 4pm, so happy to do something :)

We’re landing about midday then taking a gentle drive down the a82 so will be around before 4

Without wanting to sound too 21st century and scare Mr Snap should we start a WhatsApp group?

Without wanting to sound too 21st century and scare Mr Snap should we start a WhatsApp group?

To start one, presumably we need everyone's (or all participants') phone numbers? I have a few so could get one started, not sure how you extend a group...

I presume I could look it up, but I don't know what WhatsApp is. If it involves anything like a smartphone, then I'm not technologically equipped to use it. My phone doesn't even have a camera...

But by all means start one :D

I shall bow to the superior knowledge of Mrs Snap for this one. :D

Aye, whatsapp sounds the way to go. I think my number is fairly common knowledge and its not changed (ever)

@Mrs Snap we're wondering if you would be including some wholemeal bread and Bran Flakes in the bulk order? ETA: own brand Bran Flakes is fine and about half the price of K*...
Yes, both wholemeal and white rolls & toasting bread. I'll add some bran flakes to the order to go with the cornflakes and Weetabix!

Tesco delivery booked for 4-6pm slot on Saturday.

Last edited:
I shall bow to the superior knowledge of Mrs Snap for this one. :D

I've rekindled my WhatsApp and can see some of you on there as contacts already. Andy is a luddite and will probably try and keep in contact with you all via tin cans and string! ;):D

I've rekindled my WhatsApp and can see some of you on there as contacts already. Andy is a luddite and will probably try and keep in contact with you all via tin cans and string! ;):D

Pigeons my dear, definitely pigeons. ️

I am on Whatsapp but the phone I use it on is on it's last legs now and only turned on when I use as a controller with the drone. You can add me to conversations buy I won't be able to read the messages!

I wonder if I can dig out my old iPad and get it working on there...

This might sound like a weird request, but being weird is a prerequisite for entering F&C so please bear with me :D

Does anyone going to the Highlands meet have any empty 35mm film cassettes that they don't need and would be willing to donate? (i.e. like these, not the pot they are stored in). I require quite a lot of them (about 50) for... a project... I can't say what yet, but all will be revealed next weekend! I was planning on emailing a few labs and asking them, but hopefully the F&C can get me started with any spares that would otherwise go in the bin.

Don't worry, I'm not going to turn them into keyrings and sell them on ebay :LOL:

Back