weekly father and daughter 52 week project

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone and welcome to my 6th year of the 52 week project. wk 1 metal by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

My daughter Caitlin has also expressed interest in doing this as well, I am really hoping she can pull the whole year off, it's not going to be straight forward as Caitlin finds a lot of things very difficult to take in and process and has concentration issues (for reasons that have not been found yet). So hopefully the variety and the unexpected will help her in thinking in different ways, and seeing something build up over the year will boost her confidence too.

So onward we go and starting off with week 1 Metal.

Caitlin chose a few different things to photograph, she eventually settled on one item, after trying to put them all in one picture. Many a time Caitlin has watched me switch the light off and light things with a torch, she remembered this and I pointed out how lighting can turn something boring into something more interesting. So after a bit of moving things around Caitlin decided to stop on the following picture

caitlin's week 1, metal by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And now for mine

an abstract style, this is actually a fruit bowl,deliberately out of focus, natural light from a window created a different effect I wasn't really expecting

wk 1 metal by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I like both images, abstracts are not really my thing, but I appreciate the way you've taken something and made it something else.
Caitlin's image holds my eye for a little longer and makes me to want to explore the whole image. I'd personally like to see a different DoF with the bottom of the grill slightly sharper, but that is being nitpicky, it's a strong image. Good luck to you both with your 52's.

Hi Michael .....wishing the very best to you both for this years 52's. I'm a fan of abstract so I like both of these. Well done Caitlin, I like the strong black, maybe crop a tad off the the bottom, but a super first shot. That's an interesting effect from the fruit bowl, I don't think I would ever have guessed what it is.

Nice start Michael and good luck to your daughter too, she's off to a nice start also (y)

Michael, loving both of these photos. Your daughters is really nice, i like the way the sharpness of the mesh/grill fades away. Your images is very good, almost computer generated, could be the birth or death of a star. Excellent themed photos. Looking forward to seeing more and help you and your daughter in so many ways

Last edited:
Welcome back, Michael, Caitlin, well done as well. nice detail and the B&W works well.

Michael, nice abstract and I rather like it. I'd prefer a square crop.

Nice start both of you :)

Cheers.

Looks like your both off to a great start :clap:

I find Catlin's image the more striking of two - the lighting looks great however, I really like the dreamy nature of your shoot - it is the sort of thing I have as wallpaper on my phone (y)

Thank you everyone for the comments, Caitlin is very pleased everyone likes it. Captive is a going to be a little trickier to get done I think, but we shall see...
I'm struggling to come up with a good idea for that theme too.

Hi Michael. Fingers crossed that Caitlin keeps going with the '52 - she's made a great start with Metal which I think is excellent. Very interesting abstract of the fruit bowl - I too like experimenting with focus too. Well done both :clap:

Thanks everyone from us both for the replies and comments.

Week 2, Captive (audience) . Caitlins first. Not a very straight forward theme for Caitlin to get to grips with, and could be a potential for a reshoot in the future. Lighting was really awkward here, and shot in jpeg. We had a little bit of a play around in elements and ended up with this. Caitlin liked this one because of the little boy looking at the train too.

Week 2, Captive (Caitlin) by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Week 2, a tricky theme even for me! But a light bulb moment occurred yesterday as I walked past this barbed wire.

Week 2, captive by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Week 3, Miniature, Caitlins first. An indoor shot again and playing around with the torch, a b+w conversion and caitlin was happy with this.

Week 3, miniature (caitlin) by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Week 3, Good old lego! Some more b+w, but I thought it suited it well.

Week 3, miniature by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Hey Michael ... your week 2 barbed wire image is Rock On. The DoF is shallow but it works. (y)

They certainly look captivated in the first of the three, sharp focus with the barbed wire, a bit on the dark side but good silhouette in the third but my fave of the set is #4 for the fun image, nice reflection and excellent DoF.

The little boy in the train photo looks so small I honestly thought it was going to be an entry for minature.

I like both the miniature entries, the Minions are good fun (undoubedly they're up to something) and the photo of that other character is wickedly fun and very well executed.

The trainspotters are clearly captivated and is on theme
but the Barbed wire shot is the I prefer of the 2

I cant decide between the silhouettes and the great reflection I like both

Hi Michael and Caitlin,

Catching up here.
Captive - Caitlin's shot is my winner here, because Trains :) Selective colour can be a bit Marmite, but is effective here in picking out the little lad that Caitlin wants as the added interest in the shot.

Miniature - close run thing here, I love the way you've got the reflection and sharp subject, but there is just something about the silhouettes of the minions that draws your eye in.

She's doing really well Michael (y)
The boy in the red coat was rather a clever piece of editing ;)

Hey Michael ... your week 2 barbed wire image is Rock On. The DoF is shallow but it works. (y)

Thank you David.

They certainly look captivated in the first of the three, sharp focus with the barbed wire, a bit on the dark side but good silhouette in the third but my fave of the set is #4 for the fun image, nice reflection and excellent DoF.

Thanks Carl, very pleased with the lego reflection myself, it worked very well.

The little boy in the train photo looks so small I honestly thought it was going to be an entry for minature.

I like both the miniature entries, the Minions are good fun (undoubedly they're up to something) and the photo of that other character is wickedly fun and very well executed.

Hi Nick, thanks for taking a look, minions are always upto something, wish I knew what though! :)

The trainspotters are clearly captivated and is on theme
but the Barbed wire shot is the I prefer of the 2

I cant decide between the silhouettes and the great reflection I like both

Thank you,

Hi Michael and Caitlin,

Catching up here.
Captive - Caitlin's shot is my winner here, because Trains :) Selective colour can be a bit Marmite, but is effective here in picking out the little lad that Caitlin wants as the added interest in the shot.

Miniature - close run thing here, I love the way you've got the reflection and sharp subject, but there is just something about the silhouettes of the minions that draws your eye in.

Oh yes, trains :agree:

Hi Michael, love the captive shot bang on theme and love the color. Prefer the 2nd submission for week 3 love the DOF in that one, but your first one is good too (y)

Thanks Nigel,

She's doing really well Michael (y)
The boy in the red coat was rather a clever piece of editing ;)

Thanks Chris, I really wasn't sure about the train pic myself, but Caitlin was adamant she wanted to use it, and with good reason by the looks of it.

I can see how Caitlan thought this represented Captive as it certainly is a captive audience. Would like to have seen more of the boy though.

Now the barbed wire is a cracking shot. Very stark and conveys a strong message (y)

Caitlans's Miniature is on a par with yours, can't decide which I like best so well done both:clap::clap::clap: of you

hi, liking all the recent photos, great ideas for the theme and all well taken. Caitlins miniature is really good.

Thank you all once again. Now 2 totally different pictures from us this week, whilst awaiting steam trains to go over ribblehead yesterday xavier was laughing and jumping around in my arms, caitlin decided to go for a picture of her little brother, this is literally straight from the camera jpeg with no editing other than a slight sharpen, as she was happy with it her self.

Week 4 Happy (caitlin) by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And mine, I fancied something a little out of the box, hope it works...

In the pursuit of happiness (Week 4 happy) by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I think you have some stiff competition from Caitlin their Michael :D

Yours is a more subtle take Michael but both equally spot on target .... this week, you've edged it in my opinion .... just (I love b&w so a tad biased).

Michael, loving your image for Happy, super contrast and textures. Caitlin image is a cracker, perfection

I think Caitlin has the happier of the 2 shots but I like the sun coming through in yours both great pics

Back