weekly father and daughter 52 week project

Two nice shots No1 nice smile and looks happy wrapped up warm No2 looks cold and bleak but it’s a nice B/W picture I like the silhouettes of the people.(y)

Hi Michael and Caitlin,

Sorry, I'm a bit late catching up with your thread. Really nice seeing you do this together.

Metal - Really like Caitlin's, the abstract take on it with the choice of lighting and DOF are really good. Michael's is a bit to abstract to say Metal for me but is an interesting shot all the same and it's always nice to see different techniques.
Captive - Both images are good for the theme, the addition of the fingers on the barbed wire shot make it much more interesting and more of a story than if it had just been the wire. The train has definitely captivated them, would have been nice to see just a bit more of the boy.
Miniature - Interesting lighting on Caitlins, like how even only being able to see the silhouettes you can still tell that they are minions. Michael - that's an unusual character, well suited to B&W and the reflection really makes the shot.
Happy - Caitlin, that's a nice natural happy shot of your brother. Michael - a bit more of a stretch for the theme but I like the shot and the B&W treatment.

Look forward to seeing what you both do over the rest of the 52.

Lagging behind a bit, illness hasn't helped and I'm trying to get over concussion...

Week 7, danger/dangerous from us both here

Mine,

danger by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Caitlins

danger (caitlin's pic) by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Left for us to sort out are

Week 5 Abandoned
Week 6 Camouflage(d)
Week 8 Topical
Week 9 The living world
Week 10 Spiky
Week 11 Artificial

Hmmm you'd better start worrying Michael, :D
Caitlins really on the ball she's doing very well (y)

Hope you feel better soon :)

Concussion? What were you taking pictures of at the time? ;)
Nice dark black background in your shot, but obviously caitlin's shot wins it for me because of the subject matter.
Nice and sharp where it is supposed to be with a decent amount of DoF falloff.

Both good choices for the theme and I quite like the colour cast with yours but .....another vote for Caitlins for the interest value. :clap:

Caitlin's for me, Michael, not keen on the glare on your knife, but Caitlin's conversion and focus works well. I'd have been tempted to get in a little closer and loose the upper part of the fence.

Cheers.

Hmmm you'd better start worrying Michael, :D
Caitlins really on the ball she's doing very well (y)

Hope you feel better soon :)

Concussion? What were you taking pictures of at the time? ;)
Nice dark black background in your shot, but obviously caitlin's shot wins it for me because of the subject matter.
Nice and sharp where it is supposed to be with a decent amount of DoF falloff.

Both good choices for the theme and I quite like the colour cast with yours but .....another vote for Caitlins for the interest value. :clap:

Caitlin's for me, Michael, not keen on the glare on your knife, but Caitlin's conversion and focus works well. I'd have been tempted to get in a little closer and loose the upper part of the fence.

Cheers.

Thanks guys, Caitlin appreciates the comments :ty:

Week 5 and abandoned next,

Mine, I have gone for a close up here as I liked the texture of the paint work and metal, looking like it hasn't been used in a very long time.

abandoned by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Caitlins

abandoned by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Had a bit of a good day today for catching up! I had a couple ready and caitlin had a few to do in one day,

Caitlin's living world, some help from me with the tripod here, but a firm stop therefrom caitlin on the composition front!

caitlins living world by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

My living world, these were posing great to begin with, provided a good chuckle!

No Pictures Today Thank You! by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

topical (mine first) as its been in the news...

flying scotsman #4 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Caitlin's topical, took a bit of a conversation this one but we got there in the end, I only let her take it if my face couldn't be seen :naughty:

Caitlins topical by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Caitlin's artificial

caitlin's artificial by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

my artificial

flash 2 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

spiky by caitlin

caitlin's spiky by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

spiky by me

spiky by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

So almost all caught up, just need to get camouflage done now.

Loving seeing your images, all perfectly on the themes, really like spiky by Caitlin and your Artificial

Well done to you both - I hope you're starting to feel a bit better, Michael.

I'll just pull out a couple to comment on: I love your sheep shot - that rim lighting is just perfect and really separates the sheep from the background. Probably works even better in your mono conversion as the tones would otherwise be quite similar. Great job!
I also like Caitlin's topical, which has a real journalistic quality about it. Well done to the model too :)

Well done to you both with that mega catch up ....Caitlin is certainly coming up with some excellent shots for the themes I'm impressed.

Thanks Susie, she is doing well with guidance, which is mainly on composition, all of the pics are here ideas, I just need to remind her every now and then, it's certainly helping with her confidence I think.

Loving seeing your images, all perfectly on the themes, really like spiky by Caitlin and your Artificial

I saw the rake, but she said mine! My idea.. Thanks for taking a look.

A good catch up from both of you, good to see you sticking with it.

Thank you :)

Well done to you both - I hope you're starting to feel a bit better, Michael.

I'll just pull out a couple to comment on: I love your sheep shot - that rim lighting is just perfect and really separates the sheep from the background. Probably works even better in your mono conversion as the tones would otherwise be quite similar. Great job!
I also like Caitlin's topical, which has a real journalistic quality about it. Well done to the model too :)

Getting there thanks Paul, it was nice to actually want to do something again.. Those sheep were funny, black and white certainly suited it.

Many thanks for taking a look.

Great catch up Michael lovely set there, from both of you.
If I had to pick one, I'd go with Caitlin's abandoned, its just a pity the sky wasn't a little kinder to her hough .

I think Caitlin wins the Living World - I like the way the light plays on the feathers; Topical is yours of the Flying Scotsman for the movement, steam/smoke and then Caitlin returns to the winners rostrum again for Artificial which really does take the biscuit and the character rake for Spiky. Well done both on a great catch-up :clap:

Danger - good pics I too like Caitlin's best
Abandoned - both pics on theme
Living World - I really like both pictures but yours just pips it for me I like the light on the sheep
Topical - again great pics they Flying Scotsman wins for me
Spiky - I like the rake best
Artificial - Caitlin wins again.

Hi Michael.

Vast: Both good but prefer #1 because the ski lift in the fg helps scale the panorama. I like the way that the low cloud is captured and mirrored on the mountain top.
Technology: #1 again for me, I think mainly because of the perspective and the detail.

Good catch-up ... keep them coming. :clap:

Not usually my thing but I do like the Vignette and mono conversion on Caitlin's vast, it nicely emphasises the distance.

Two good ideas for technology and they work well together

Thank you Carl and Chris

SO a bit more of playing catch up, very busy times at work and illness have set us back, so going through the pics we have done but not sorted whilst trying to get better..A gentle day out yesterday got a few done as well

horizontal

st philips marsh open day #10 (wk 15, horizontal) by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Caitlin's horizontal

horizontal by caitlin by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Flora

flora by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Caitlin's flora

flora by caitlin by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

activity

action by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Caitlin's activity

action by caitlin by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Great catch up Michael from Caitlin and yourself, love the otters. Keep going, it's good stuff

Great catch up Michael, Caitlin is doing really well especially with the animal shots :)

Excellent catch-up Michael. All good for different reasons but I particularly like the way the water has come out in Caitlin's shot of the water lily and yours of the very expressive image for Action. Great stuff, keep going.

Another one to keep us going, back to colourful, I got caitlin thinking about crayons this afternoon and after showing her ideas on google, she created a pattern with them, she also wanted some crayons in the middle, so I showed her how to do a picture in picture qwith elements, the circle crop was dregarded by caitlin as soon as she saw a butterfly cookie cutter....and here is the result

colourful by caitlin by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And mine, I went for a selective coloured image here as I liked the vibrancy of the red bag.

which way (wk 19, colourful) by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

So sorry - I seem to have missed yours and Caitlin's thread for a while. I love your sheep with the backlighting - clever to convert to b&w it works really well.
Both your activity shots are great - the expression you captured just screams great day out, and Caitlin timed her shot brilliantly!
I like Caitlin's colour shot best - I love the way her creativity came through in the butterfly shape.

Oh Michael I really like the colorful escalator and the tin tin bag. Really nice for the theme my favourite on your catch up Chris

Last edited:
I like Caitlin's very creative take on colourful and particularly the butterfly cut-out. I have to say however that my preference is yours with the TinTin bag which is made even more interesting by the backward-facing lady on the escalator. :clap:

Great catch up from both of you

I love Caitlins animal shots, the GWR sign is more on theme for horizontal and I like your flora over Caitlins
but both colourful shots are great with excellent pp work

Hi Michael (& Caitlin),
Good job on the catch up :) - here goes :)

Abandoned - I'm going to have to chose your shot for this one, because of the subject matter (y). Both well taken, but in Caitlin's the sky is a bit blown.

Living World - Caitlin this time, I think the sheep shot would have been stronger if they had been facing you, shots from behind are always difficult to appreciate.

Topical - Well, your subject matter is obviously the winner ;) but Caitlin's shot wins due to shooting 'street'.

Artificial - Cuddly doggie for me. Loving the added detail of the half eaten biscuit. The light is on the skew, but not sufficiently to look deliberate imo.

Spiky - The plant against teh sky due to the well captured blue sky in the shot.

Vast - The first one - the composition is stronger I believe with the mountain being the obvious point of interest in the shot.

Technology - Royal Scot is well taken, but the background is a bit distracting and the sky is blown (is Caitlin shooting only in jpg? Maybe using RAW would allow some recovery in post), so the 123is my preference here. It's odd to think that the 125's were introduced only 9 years after the end of Steam.

Horizontal - The Great Western shot, well done avoiding moire in that shot. Are Caitlin's beavers? The detail in the fur is very good.

Flora - I do like the way your shot fills the frame, but both are well taken.

Activity - The little lad pops well from the background, shame it's a bit cluttered. Caitlin's shot has a better background and is very sharp, but doesn't feel quite as on theme.

Colourful - The Pencils win if for me, not competition, although fair play for getting a bit of 'street'. Is that escalator the one at Waterloo by platform 19? If not, it does look very much like it.

Back