weekly Fazer’s 2012 52 - Dun and Dusted

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Must be absolutely mad to try this as my photography time is limited. I am a carer for most of the week. Will have a bash though, but may not be able to keep up the weekly schedule. :bonk:

Week 1: [Post=4303989]Direction[/post] [Post=4306133]Direction Edit[/post]
Week 2: [Post=4329151]Fear[/Post]
Week 3: [Post=4357754]Sigh[/Post]
Week 4: [Post=4364285]Sweet[/Post]
Week 5: [post=4408927]Secure[/post]
Week 6: [post=4408948]Industry[/post]
Week 7: [post=4425639]Root[/post]
Week 8: [post=4439177]Handmade[/post]
Week 9: [Post=4462531]Money[/Post]
Week 10: [post=4490360]Win[/post]
Week 11: [post=4490812]Shiny[/post]
Week 12: [post=4536849]Magical[/post]
Week 13: [post=4536869]Vice[/post]
Week 14: [post=4546714]Entrance[/post]
Week 15: [post=4574534]Soft[/post]
Week 16: [post=4590645]Pride[/post]
Week 17: [post=4608930]Short[/post]
Week 18: [post=4616204]Flight[/post]
Week 19: [post=4652593]Authority[/post]
Week 20: [post=4692087]Leave[/post]
Week 21: [post=4692087]Random[/post]
Week 22: [post=4692087]Temperature[/post]
Week 23: [post=4717266]Abstract[/post]
Week 24: [post=4740865]Symmetry[/post]
Week 25: [post=4774417]Moody[/post]
Week 26: [post=4793364]Joy + new shot added[/post]
Week 27: [post=4793371]Small[/post]
Week 28: [post=4830393]Straight[/post]
Week 29: [post=4831647]Letter[/post]
Week 30: [post=4849998]Contrast[/post]
Week 31: [post=4862382]Mineral[/post]
Week 32: [post=4886024]Dark[/post]
Week 33: [post=4898209]Time[/post]
Week 34: [post=4910077]Body[/post] + [post=4912998]crop version [/post]
Week 35: [post=4950638]Liquid[/post]
Week 36: [post=4959320]Up[/post]
Week 37: [post=4959331]Duo[/post]
Week 38: [post=4988656]Flow[/post]
Week 39: [post=5017762]Friendship[/post]
Week 40: [post=5041380]Change[/post]
Week 41: [post=5041380]Natural[/post]
Week 42: [post=5058046]Age[/post]
Week 43: [post=5063328]Spread[/post]
Week 44: [post=5087779]Together[/post]
Week 45: [post=5099909]Pack[/post]
Week 46: [post=5141013]Art[/post]
Week 47: [post=5141013]Colour[/post]
Week 48: [post=5157420]Shadow[/post]
Week 49: [post=5166056]Glow[/post] + [post=5200878]Reshoot[/post]
Week 50: [post=5200878]Round[/post]
Week 51: [post=5200878]Negative[/post]
Week 52: [post=5208848]Busy[/post]

Last edited:
Many thanks Ruth. Now trying to upload first photo. Good luck with your 52

Good luck John, think in this game a little madness actually helps :)

Look forward to seeing some pictures soon..

Just getting to grips with posting from Flickr. Thats my first challenge lol.
Hopefully week 1 'Direction'
Inspired by having a London freedom pass and using public transport in favour of the car but only when transport system is running, not raining or cold, and not having to meet appointment times.

6641625829_db5373f1b1_z.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice Roly and good luck with your challenge.
Well that's the first one posted, looking forward to week 2

i like the way you have focused on the direction the route is and used DOF to slightly blur the rest of the sign and think the B&W looks really good. well done cant wait to see more.

Hi John...welcome aboard....don't worry about time...it's your project so do it at your own pace...we'll still be here to comment & keep you going (y)

Like your 1st image (y)...different perspective but works well...nice use of DOF...possibly cropped too much off the top...bit of the sign there & for me...crying out to be SC'd( though not to everyones taste I know)

Good luck for the rest of the challenge (y)

I like this too (y)
I especially like your use of focus to highlight the route/direction. As Lynne said above, maybe a selective colour or even full colour would make the image pop:thinking:
Not sure about the crop though, clipping the top of the sign.
Good start, and good luck given your time constraints. Iain

Great depth of field and like the unusual angle and the black and white conversion. Great start ! :)

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and comments, much appreciated. Agree about this being a tight crop, straight from camera and was concentrating too much on the sign.

...crying out to be SC'd( though not to everyones taste I know)

Not really keen on SC but gave it a quick try (needs more time to perfect) so interested in peoples thoughts.

Week1 Direction edit by Fazer John, on Flickr

Good use of dof to hit the 'towards bit' - not too sure the SC adds to the image; I would possibly boost the contrast a fraction. Never the less, a good image for the start of your 52.

Wishing you all the best with it.

Spooks

I'm not always a fan of selective colour but I like your edit. The red adds rather detracts from the image. I also think you've got your focus just at the right point.

With the favourable comments so far I'm looking forward to the next challenge. I may try and revisit this subject later on taking on board the crop issue and contrast boost.

..... not too sure the SC adds to the image;
Spooks

.....The red adds rather detracts from the image.

Simon and Peter I appreciate your views on SC and can see how the picture is enhanced by colour but think the emphasis needs to be on the 'towards' item to fit in with the 'direction' theme

Good luck with your 52s

Last edited:
I just subscribed to this thread and will watch with interest....

Good start to the challenge, agree with a lot of the comments so far, good POV, good use of DOF, needed a bit more on the top....

Good luck and enjoy yourself....

The SC works brilliantly on this. Well spotted as well :)

Good luck with your project!

Hi the SC works well for the image, but it distracts from the focus on the towards imo.
Good Luck for next week :)

Fear
During my life attending Sunday school, Scout church parades, church youth club and funerals of family, friends, and work colleagues, one biblical extract has regularly cropped up.

I refer to Psalm 23 and reference to ‘fear’. I am using this as a poignant reminder that through our journey in life we see fear in all manner of ways including worry, terror, panic, phobia, but whatever evil presents itself we still carry on towards our destiny. And after life ??????????????

fear2a by Fazer John, on Flickr

Not to be taken as bible bashing. Just some personal thoughts.

Last edited:
Thanyou to all who commented on my 'Direction' theme. Certainly diverse thoughts on use of SC. I like Marmite as well Lynne. I look forward to your thoughts on 'Fear' and your continued support to help me achieve 52

Hi John

Wk1 - A great start to your 52... really like your first shot, love the acute angle and dof - prefer the pure B&W one myself (y)

Wk 2 - A great shot with good use of the dof, and after reading the text a good take on the theme

Good luck with the rest of your 52 :)

Direction : That fits the theme nicely. I like the DOF, and the mono works best for me.

Fear : Fits the theme really well... an excellent take

Liking the "fear" shot....great pov and use of dof.... the txt is perfect for the theme...

Well done....

Very nice take on the theme John and the 23rd psalm works very well using an old bible. When I was onboard HMS Ocean recently in the hospital as a patient one of the medical team gave a me a B.I.B.L.E to read and said that it stood for Basic Information Before Leaving Earth......

Your appreciative thoughts are welcome. I enjoyed setting up this shot using a close up filter, even the result surprised me.

Nick, I like the interpretation of B.I.B.L.E, never thought of it that way and wonder how many others have come across the saying?

Your appreciative thoughts are welcome. I enjoyed setting up this shot using a close up filter, even the result surprised me.

Nick, I like the interpretation of B.I.B.L.E, never thought of it that way and wonder how many others have come across the saying?

It was just forces humour, their way of saying to me 'you haven't got long to live mate.... Fortunately i'm still here and don't plan on going 'up there' or 'down there' anytime soon.... (y)

Well I finally got to sort out Sigh. Was'nt lack of idea, just that a litre of scotch take a bit of time to polish off.
Now i'm down to the last drop the problem is when to savour my favourite tipple, sigh, tonight, tomorrow or the weekend.:bang:

Week 3 Sigh by Fazer, on Flickr

By the way, for experts in whisky just to say the expensive brands are kept for special occasions and locked away.:D

My idea of 'Sweet', a lovely apple pie and custard. Took a time to set up using flash, softbox and reflector then adjusting camera and lighting. Think this is as near as possible with single light but I may be wrong. Benefit of this subject was clearing up afterwards. Yum

Week 4 Sweet by Fazer, on Flickr

Hi John, apologies i haven't got to your thread before now, but am here now

Direction, i prefer the edit, nice use of Dof and angle

Fear - yep thats a reminder about fear, and again its nicely put together

Sigh - don't think i'd sigh when i got down to the last drop of grouse:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: its only used for cold cure here, but i can relate to it, and the image is very sharp and well :LOL:lit.

Sweet - am with you on apple pie and custard, nice image

Hi John

'pologies for taking so long to pop back in :crying:

Fear....nice take on the theme , love the aged look of the bible & the text fits perfectly ,nice use of DOF as well (y)

Sigh....very difficult theme ....like your take on it...nice to see a not straight up n down picture of a bottle ( if you get my meaning?)sharp throughout & yes, fits the theme :clap:

Sweet.....aplle pie & custard...feeling hungry now ! Nicely lit , can even see the sugar crystals on the pies... sharp thoughout & good colors...love it :clap:

Like the idea I think you have nailed the lighting with a single flash,
looks like it needs levelling a bit thou as the jug looks odd and I think it’s to tight a crop, think it’s time for my pudding now

Apple pie and custard ... what a great idea, my favourite sweet and a nice pic (y)

Back