weekly Fazer’s 2012 52 - Dun and Dusted

I thank everyone for taking the time to appraise my work and am taking all comments good or bad on board. Managed to take a break but had no internet access so unable to get round other threads. More catching up to do!!

Art - It certainly does meet the theme. I've done well if you took this through a shop window.

Colour - It looks like the rain has helped with this as the reflections on the brick floor add to the image. Not as keen on the background but I guess there's nothing you could have done about that.

Hi John.

Art is a good shot, especially given how it was shot. I think the bottle bottom left spoils it a bit, but obviously you couldn't do anything about that.

Colour I love! I like the background and the contrast between the warm lights and the rainy ground. Nice composition too.

art - definitely says art :clap: not too sure if the composition is quite right tho - the fold at the top of the box is distracting.

colour - spiffing image, really love this one :clap: the rain just adds so much to it too :)

Last edited:
Hi John

Color....I'm liking this , great capture of the fountains , the reflections add to the shot as do the wet bricks...nice one , yup definately :clap:

Art...for shooting through a window you've done relly well to avoid reflections & got a great angle as well (y)

Art, yes John on theme, certainly. Just needs a little something else to set it apart from a straightforward capture John. Not a lot you can do about composition of the materials, maybe just a closer crop on the details :thinking:

Colour, I like this one John, good composition with some nice leading lines drawing the viewer in and through. (y)

Colour is well spotted maybe a different angle on it but hard to say as I don't know the situation

Hi John,

Art, I agree that you've done well considering it's through a window, definitely fits the theme.

Colour, love this, the rain really has helped. I hadn't really noticed the background, then took a closer look, is there a man stood at the back? It looks a bit ghostly blending in what the water:eek:

Thankyou for your generous comments. I am still trying to find time to get around the threads and will catch up sometime.

Week 48 Shadow

Found this to be a really difficult subject and still not 100% happy with the result. No lack of ideas but the execution was never right.

Week 48 Shadow1 by Fazer, on Flickr

Hi John, I like that, especially with the B&W conversion, but the knots in the wood are distracting for me, being too similar to the shadows of the leaves. I think a different background might have given it more depth.

Not that I'd expect you to change your fence or dig the rose up; maybe place something different between the rose and the fence?

Last edited:
bang on theme I dont find the knots too distracting but the dark vertical band on the right

Thanks Mark, Alan and Allan, I totally agree about the knots and would rather they were not there. The dark band is due to different colour fence panels. Will ask neighbhour to change these panels. :LOL: If I can find time may try a more PP to lower these annoyances.

Good work John, bang on theme.
I don't mind the differing colour fence panels, they make for an interesting background contrast.
I would even consider cropping the actual flower itself out and just have the shadow and fence panels. The light/dark tones are wonderful with some lovey detail/texture in there. Iain

Eeek, missed quite a few of yours :nono: ...if it's OK, I'll comment on last few (y)

Pack is on theme but appears time wasn't on your side.

Art, on theme and well captured with a P&S.

Colour, they look great. Lovely colours and well captured. BG is a tad distracting and a bit closer for me.

Shadow, again on theme and fairly well composed. Liking the angle of the shadow and the use of the wood BG works for me. I'd just like to see it without knots in the wood.

Good show...

Cheers.

Thanks for all your comments. Thought I would revisit some of the other shots of shadow and find one without knots. Hopefully a more pleasing effect.

Week 48 Shadow2 by Fazer, on Flickr

Not bad John...

I need to spend some time looking through this thread....

Thanks Alan
Cheers for looking in Martin, any comments welcome.

I quite like this John although would have suggested a bit more DoF to bring in the right hand side. How close were you to worry about melting things?

yep I like that, def fits the theme and no hot spots (groan) on the hot bits :p :clap: only crit - I would have cloned out the lil bit showing top right of pic

Glow, bang on theme John (y)
As above though, focus across the whole scene would really have nailed it for me.

hi John

shadow....1st image...another when on 1st viewing I went "WOW...brilliant " Liking the mono , the bg knots don't distract me as my eye immediately got the rose head...really good shot mister :clap: the 12nd version whilst still effective just doesn't grab me in the same way

Glow...another image where I can almost feel the heat...well exposed & good detail....hope no photography kit was harmed in the taking of this :LOL:

Thanks for all your crit and really do appreciate the time taken on viewing my thread.

Just as I thought I was ahead on submissions and reviewing all other 52'ers still on the final lap, everything went wrong. Have now spent a mad few hours catching up again.

Decided to reshoot Glow, taking account of comments and my own feelings for previous shot. My equipment survived the heat despite being so close to the gas fire. (Phew)

Week 49 Reshoot Glow by Fazer, on Flickr

Round

Another experiment with lighting and close up.

Week 50 Round by Fazer, on Flickr

Negative

A good reminder to check the fire alarm battery! Should point out I have deliberately left the 'Alarm Signal' writing OOF as this concentrates on the negative, but gives an idea of what the battery is used for.

Week 51 Negative by Fazer, on Flickr

P.S. Just noticed Peter's (Delta Skies) shot of battery. Did not use his idea as reviewed after taking my shot.

Last edited:
Hi John, I've missed a few of yours here; can you put them in the main thread please :)

Glow, I think I prefer the original, which has more detail and therefore interest for me.

Round, a very nice shot of a very difficult subject (loads of dynamic range). I like the composition and the extra interest given by the texture of the ball, and the reflection.

Negative, very very nice indeed :) The DoF is perfect IMHO (in fact, better than I'd expect at f5, but what do I know!), and the context is good. I'd maybe lose the Tesco logo top right, but other than that I love it.

Quick off the mark there Mark. I did wonder about cutting the tesco logo but left it in favour of keeping the writing at the bottom

Hi John,

glow, nice warm colour in there, I would be tempted to get in a lit closer, I think a nice tight composition could work here,

Round, NIce composition and I really like the lighting, nice reflection too.

Negative, I quite like this, the dof around the negative terminal is very good. The oof alarm signal text is pulling my eye a little.

Round - This works well especially with the reflection. I like the combination of gold and black as well

Negative - Aren't 9v batteries great :LOL: As Mark and Michael have said the purposely shallow DoF works really well here. Not sure about the logo now it's been mentioned. I think the crop works so to get rid of it I guess some cloning would be required.

I didnt mind the Tesco logo but the alarm text was a bit distracting the edit is much better for its removal. Nicely thought out for the theme.

Back