weekly Fazer’s 2012 52 - Dun and Dusted

Hi John, I don't mind the composition for your liquid shot but do agree that the shadows are a little harsh behind the bottle. I think I would have thrown a black sheet or something behind the bottle to give a completely black background and cropped the RHS slightly to hide some of the shadow:thinking: Otherwise the lighting of the bottle looks good and I like the wrench thrown in the shot.

Last edited:
Hey John :)

Body - Nice colourful shot, i like you interpretation, Excellent fine detail, bang on (y)

Liquid - Would have been good to see the oil in the end of the spanner like the add, and harsh shadow, but still a good thought for the theme, just needs a bit of tweaking

Thanks Alan. Must admit I did this in a bit of a rush, where does all the time go? I was trying to replicate an old Castrol advert without covering the floor etc with oil. Agree it could be better.

Thanks Lynne. I have aquired a speedlight honeycomb grid which needed experimentation, and this was it. Single light from left which seemed to light the subject but so much shadow. Think I need some batteries for a second light to kill the shadow.

Appreciate your views Marsha & DK. More time and trials on the oil can:LOL:

And now back on track.
Duo
Quite meaningful as this was the last day of the paralympic games and the end of the games-makers in London. Two of the many, also a couple of security guys for good measure. Double duo

Week 37 Duo by Fazer, on Flickr

Like the 2nd UP shot dont think it needs the aircraft

think the 2 guys in the bg somehow spoil the duo pic

I agree lol, the 2nd up is great but it doesn't need the plane - in fact I had to look for it. I think duo would have been better if the LHS lady had been turned more towards the camera, doubt you could ask tho, so it's a yes from me - tho I don't think the security guards add to the shot, they spoil it a bit tbh - maybe if you'd waited or moved so that they were alongside rather than behind? Easy for me to say I know :p

Liquid – I like the oil running down the side of the bottle. I’m sure the Castrol version had the oil running into the end of the spanner

Up – Both capture the theme although I prefer #2. I like the Union Jack which adds to the picture.

Duo – I like what you were trying to capture. It leaves you wondering what they are discussing

Up - #2 is much the stronger image. Very good spot. Well handled exposure. Union Jack adds a lot and i agree with others that plane is unnecessary.

Duo - I like the fact that they are deep in conversation and a good viewpoint for the shot. Security guys a are a bit of a distraction

Hi John

a big (y) for both your UP shots....love'em :clap:

The tree...like the angle , good detail in the bark without any blown sky creeping in

The Fairground ride thingy.....wow...that looks like fun...the flag makes the image for me

Duo....again , I'm not really a portrait/candid type person so not able to give crit ....nice n sharpe with great DOF....I'd have been sooo tempted to desat the BG as those fluro jackets grab my attention...not a total SC image but almost (y)

PS.....HAVE YOU SEEN....

TP 52'S END OF PROJECT MEET

Last edited:
Body, yes, spot on, and nicely captured!

Liquid, I think you needed a polished spanner, and to have the oil filling the head. Maybe a closer shot too? Good idea though!

Up, I prefer the tree I think, although both are good.

Duo, yes I agree; great shot, spoiled a little by the guys in the background.

Hi John,
Up 1, I really like your tree shot, lovely detail in the trunk and leaves with some rare blue sky peeking through.
Up 2, I really like the aircraft in the shot it makes this swing look like it's about a mile high!

Duo, the trouble with candid shots is you have no control over what your subjects will do! I like the mystery here as you have no idea what they're talking about.
You could say the two gents in the background are distracting because of their dayglo vests or you could see them as another duo!

Thankyou all for taking the time to view and comment on my efforts. I seem to be spending less time than I would wish on TP. Due mainly to long term family health problems over which I have little control. I will persevere with the challenge (if only to keep my sanity) and promise I will visit and comment on your threads ASAP

Week 38 Flow

Not sure if I really pulled this one off. Idea is to show the high pressure outlet flow of a fountain, then the return flow over the base. Hope the 1st shot conveys my thoughts with a bit of imagination.

Week 38_1 Flow by Fazer, on Flickr

This shot gives the full fountain but not impressed as it looks quite mundane and more of a snap. The water is blue by the way.

Week 38_2 Flow by Fazer, on Flickr

Hi John - I agree with you that you may not have quite pulled off what you wanted to achieve.-

BUT #1 does have the flow and nice crisp detail in the fountain head and pebbles. The more i look at it actaully the more i like it - it is a very nice photo - it's just something about the composition that I cannot quite get my head round.

Fountains are often had to capture but I think using just the base as the subject in #1 is quite effective especially with the motion of the water being caught just right.

Cheers Alan, peter and DK. It's a tricky one as I said in my post. Thinking about it further I probably should have gone for a smaller fountain, or one that shoots out the side. Anyway have tried DK's idea and quite like it.

Week 38_3 Flow by Fazer, on Flickr

The tighter crop has made a spectacular image. Obviously it's there in the original but without the crop it doesn't have the same impact.

Cheers

Once again, thankyou for all your positive comments, really appreciate the time you are giving me to look at my thread.
Again I thank DK for suggesting the crop.

Have fallen behind but desperately trying to catch up.
Friendship
Not a great shot but an interpretation of the theme. Taken on mobile phone as a quick grab shot and unfortunately unable to repeat. Boy and his dog.

Friendship_1 by Fazer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Keep going John you're not far behind.

It does say friendship with the close connection between the boy and the dog. I'd have liked to have seen the faces in full view though and find the surroundings a bit messy.

I agree its a good take on the theme but its a bit busy so loses some impact

Your comments most welcome. Would love to reshoot this one if possible, however may have to substitute the boy as this was a one off.

Got behind due to ongoing problems but both shots taken during appropriate weeks

Change

Visit to RH&D railway where loads of shunting and manouvering took place. This meant change of points for choosing the tracks.

Week 40 Change by Fazer, on Flickr

Natural

A lovely walk through the woods on an Autumn day, nice and natural.

Week 41 Natural by Fazer, on Flickr

Hi John

glad to see you;re still hanging on in here despite problems (y)

Thats a really good interpretation of friendship ,shame only with the phone camera , like it none the less :)

Change...an original idea for the theme & well shot , good detail in the pints , possibly a little bright , nice ODF & like the pov (y)

Natural....now that I like , got a real autumnal feel/look to it , nice low angle & good colors & the path leads you into the distance nicely (y) Not crit just a preference...I could live without the stump thing , seems a little akwardly placed for me ?

crikey I missed a couple of yours John - friendship I love, especially the blue. Change is spot on for the theme although I wonder what a wider crop would do (worse or better?). Natural is also a great image altho is looks a tiny bit wonky. I think the pov might have been a bit better if the stump was closer, maybe? :clap:

Good to see you back in the running John.

Change - Good thinking on the theme. I like this shot as well with the subject off to one side.

Natural - Very natural and a good capture. I like the greens and browns which you have handled really well with some nice detail.

Nice to see you back, excellent idea for change and had a look on flickr at the bigger version of natural works so much better large

Back