FILM Photographer of the Year 2021 Discussion Thread

I'm actually on holiday until next Saturday but cleverly posted a load of film, including the roll with my entry on, from a post office in a tiny village on the shores of Loch Awe in Argyll. Hopefully, the download will be waiting for me when I get home.

I'm actually on holiday until next Saturday but cleverly posted a load of film, including the roll with my entry on, from a post office in a tiny village on the shores of Loch Awe in Argyll. Hopefully, the download will be waiting for me when I get home.
I was in Oban only last Monday, on a daytrip from a certain well known place. Cheers! :beer: (it was only raining some of the time ........ )

20210515_174738-tp.jpg

Last Monday we were at Arduain Gardens in the morning then had a walk around looking for Hen Harriers in the afternoon. We went to Oban on Thursday as it was peeing down everywhere.

Poll added for May, apologies for the delay, 7 days to vote

The June thread is up

I did take some RANDOM photos today, unintentionally. I now know what the little dial on the top of the Rolleiflex SL35E marked with a zero does. Nudge it with your finger while adjusting exposure compensation and it turns on a silent 10 second delay timer after you press the shutter release. So where the lens was pointing on the last 5 shots I tried taking is anyone's guess.

I did take some RANDOM photos today, unintentionally. I now know what the little dial on the top of the Rolleiflex SL35E marked with a zero does. Nudge it with your finger while adjusting exposure compensation and it turns on a silent 10 second delay timer after you press the shutter release. So where the lens was pointing on the last 5 shots I tried taking is anyone's guess.
Sounds ideal for Random :)

I did similar with my Minox 35GT as I assumed it had cancelled the selftimer after I had deliberately taken a selftimer shot. Disappointingly, I had closed the cover over the lens after each subsequent shot, so only blank frames from these. Hopefully you'll get something better! :oops: :$

Growing things e.g. vegetables and cutting 100 yards of 8ft high hedge, weeding, grass cutting etc etc has slowed my use of the camera right down and will have to force myself to put up something for the comp..I think the best way would be to try and shoot June, July maybe August in one outing.

Growing things e.g. vegetables and cutting 100 yards of 8ft high hedge, weeding, grass cutting etc etc has slowed my use of the camera right down and will have to force myself to put up something for the comp..I think the best way would be to try and shoot June, July maybe August in one outing.

Well got a shot for random erm but no 5 of 24 frames.....can I get through the film in the next few days allowing for Filmdev. I dunno about you guys around the UK but the weather is horrible in the London area :(

Well got a shot for random erm but no 5 of 24 frames.....can I get through the film in the next few days allowing for Filmdev. I dunno about you guys around the UK but the weather is horrible in the London area :(
Commiserations on your weather Brian, but I actually read your post just before I set off for my pre-breakfast walk at Banff yesterday, although the forecast had been for rain. (apologies for the phone pic :oops: :$)

20210618_090201-copy-tp.jpg

Last edited:
7 days left for entries folks.

... and I must upload mine :)

And I must develop mine ....

And I must develop mine ....
Lol. You saying that made me think that it would have been really cool to take a film, roll a dice to determine the development time (as an ex-RPG player, a d10 or d12 would have been about right) then share the best resulting image no matter what it was.

Why are my best ideas always in hindsight...?

Lol. You saying that made me think that it would have been really cool to take a film, roll a dice to determine the development time (as an ex-RPG player, a d10 or d12 would have been about right) then share the best resulting image no matter what it was.

Why are my best ideas always in hindsight...?
Roll a dice to select the frame off the roll?

The June poll us up for 7 days. I'm way now for the weekend with limited internet access so if it all goes horribly wrong I'll sort it when I get back

The July thread is up

Unfortunately, due real life interrupting the important stuff, I've not managed to get anything shot for this month. First time in a good few years that I've failed.

Surely a shoehorn from somewhere since December Andy? Creative interpretation always appreciated. :)

Surely a shoehorn from somewhere since December Andy? Creative interpretation always appreciated. :)
I've had a look but even the f and c maxi shoehorn won't work. Unfortunately I've taken very few shots this year and most of those were digital (apologies). I'll be back next month and watch out it's gonna be a scorcher.

I've failed too tbh. Nothing I can shoehorn in and nothing that isn't derivative of other entries. I'll still be voting though :)

I don't think it's just me that is struggling to get out doing togging, crusty or otherwise. I blame work to a large degree, but also with unhelpful weather and too many people around during these summer months, it's proving very hard to motivate myself to go out there. I have four film cameras loaded but no inspiration etc. I'll keep trying though

I don't think it's just me that is struggling to get out doing togging, crusty or otherwise. I blame work to a large degree, but also with unhelpful weather and too many people around during these summer months, it's proving very hard to motivate myself to go out there. I have four film cameras loaded but no inspiration etc. I'll keep trying though
I absolutely get this Lindsay, as I was away for a few days last week and the weather wasn't conducive to photography at all, far less film. Unusually, I was fully prepared with 4MF cameras and several ideas for shots I wanted, but only shot some on the 1620, and that film had been in the camera for a couple of months. Also shot a few frames on the disposable, so hopefully something worthwhile when I eventually finish them!

Summer is my least favourite time for photography TBH, I'm not keen on getting up at the crack of dawn when that is 5am and throughout the day the light is usually not the best but when it's warm(ish) and bright I feel I should be outside so indoors photography tends to get done in winter. I have no ideas at all for this months entry.

Back