weekly Flyphots 52 for 2022: - Week 52 'Showcase'

Some great shots Jim, I think that I like #2 the best with that line of traps leading the viewer into the frame.

Some great shots Jim, I think that I like #2 the best with that line of traps leading the viewer into the frame.

Thanks Bill, much appreciated

I really like your chosen shot with the blue standing out agains the more sombre tones around it. Nicely framed.

Thank you :)

I like the one you chose Jim. Nicely framed close up detail and the colours and shapes work well.

I like the one you chose Jim. Nicely framed close up detail and the colours and shapes work well.

Thanks Pete, appreciate the comments :)

Week 6 - Alley/Alleyways

In a local town there are lots of Victorian terraced houses, these were pretty much always built with a 'snicket' (as it's known in this part of the country) between the back gardens. Here is one from earlier today, in the miserable wind, rain and greyness.

And here is the colour version ..

Last edited:
Much prefer the B&W version. The bad weather worked in your favour.

Much prefer the B&W version. The bad weather worked in your favour.

So do I Paul :) . Thanks for taking the time to comment

I like the shot Jim, the b&w (sepia?) processing brings out the grittiness and gives some edginess to the image.

B/W suits the image.
I think the height of the camera suits the perspective well.

As above, I prefer the mono and the shot is nicely positioned

I'm going to go against the general flow and say that I prefer the colour version. Only because the wheelie bins instantly date it - if they were old fashioned steel (or even old, round plastic ones), I'd go with the B&W. Both work and fit the brief.

Going back to last week, I'm glad I didn't have to choose from the presented candidates! I have a load of similar shots (from the same and different beaches) of the pots and waterline and can't choose a favourite from mine, let alone yours!

I'm going to go against the general flow and say that I prefer the colour version. Only because the wheelie bins instantly date it - if they were old fashioned steel (or even old, round plastic ones), I'd go with the B&W. Both work and fit the brief.

Going back to last week, I'm glad I didn't have to choose from the presented candidates! I have a load of similar shots (from the same and different beaches) of the pots and waterline and can't choose a favourite from mine, let alone yours!

Thanks Nod, really appreciate you taking the time to look and comment (y)

Gotta be the mono for me. We've put lockable secutity gates on most of ours here!

Personally I prefer the mono image. I like the wetness and the composition

I've heard them called snickets too... every terraced street had one and the bins used to be galvanised rather than plastic. That's probably the only thing that has changed about them. The mono conversion makes an excellent moody shot.

I've heard them called snickets too... every terraced street had one and the bins used to be galvanised rather than plastic. That's probably the only thing that has changed about them. The mono conversion makes an excellent moody shot.

Thanks Helen. I think they are call ginnels in other parts of the country (and probably lots of other names in different areas)

Mono version portrays the miserable weather better although I do like the patches of grass through the middle visible in the colour version as they enhance the leading line

Mono version portrays the miserable weather better although I do like the patches of grass through the middle visible in the colour version as they enhance the leading line

Thanks Stuart (y)

Week 7 - Heavy weather kept the fishing fleet in harbour.

Last edited:
Looks like lots of beautiful shots to be had in this location Jim. I'm a bit jealous.

Looks like lots of beautiful shots to be had in this location Jim. I'm a bit jealous.

Yes Bill, it's Brixham. It's a really nice location that also has a long breakwater and a nature reserve and lighthouse - so lots going for it.

IIRC, the Pilchard did good food as well! (Not to mention Mifsuds up in the town who have pretty much anything you could want on their 2nd hand shelves!!!)

That's an amazing collection of houses... looks like a very busy harbour and town.

Nice pix - I could spend a while shooting there!

IIRC, the Pilchard did good food as well! (Not to mention Mifsuds up in the town who have pretty much anything you could want on their 2nd hand shelves!!!)

That's an amazing collection of houses... looks like a very busy harbour and town.

Nice pix - I could spend a while shooting there!

Thanks all, it's a lovely place to take photos, I could have spent hours and hours there to be honest, but a 6 month old Parson Jack Russell isn't the most patient of companions!

Cracking shot, lovely location. Went on holiday there once many, many, many moons ago

Brixham a great place for colourful photos. ticks the theme

Cracking shot, lovely location. Went on holiday there once many, many, many moons ago

Thanks both, despite living about 35 miles away this was the first time i've been to Brixham harbour! I'll definitely go again though.

Both lovely shots and the sky on #2 is certainly heavy. Looks like a great place to explore and take lots of pics.

I really like the tighter of the two shots, the subtle colour in the houses is really nice, and the composition is great.

Alley: I really like the processing of the monochrome version - suits the subject. I'd never heard of a snicker before. We used to have gullies.

Heavy: What a picturesque place! I am jealous too. Especially now you mention the nature reserve and lighthouse as well. There's so much to see in your main shot.

Both lovely shots and the sky on #2 is certainly heavy. Looks like a great place to explore and take lots of pics.

I really like the tighter of the two shots, the subtle colour in the houses is really nice, and the composition is great.

Alley: I really like the processing of the monochrome version - suits the subject. I'd never heard of a snicker before. We used to have gullies.

Heavy: What a picturesque place! I am jealous too. Especially now you mention the nature reserve and lighthouse as well. There's so much to see in your main shot.

Thanks everyone :)

Back