Free upgrade to Windows 10?

Just started the download for my laptop. Going to take a while on my broadband though..

I was surprised mine was already download. It must have done the background network thingy when it was asleep using my phone to download. Very odd but in not complaining :)

It's upgraded my Windows 8 Pro fine, I would expect it to detect and upgrade as needed. UAC ?
get classicshell from classicshell.net

UAC..................user accounts, one with full admin and one restricted. ;)

And the graphics card has come to life again, multi monitor support just started working.

View attachment 42803

Useful link if like me the Windows update method fails with an error, this also allows you to create the media for the future https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Mine all done, 15Mins to install and start using it (I5-4460 16Gb Ram 256Gb SSD.

Yup, on the PC the same page as I found and it offers the 32 or 64 bit installer creators, though interestingly when I had a gander on my Android smartphone the page was different i.e. no installer creator offers!

Install relatively painless and seems it's going to be easy to get on with ... however my Kaspersky Internet Security has been 'removed' as incompatible and I can't find whether any current version is compatible with Win10 :thinking:

Well, started the media creator............and had the choice of "update this PC" or "download and ISO for later/installing on another PC" > this took me to dropdown choices of which I chose English, Windows 10 Pro, 32 bit or 64 bit or both> picked 64bit. As mentioned I use W7Pro 64 bit with SP1

Then Next allows the choice of location to download to..............and the tool closes (or goes TSR?) there is a lot of Internet activity as evidenced by the router lights flashing but no obvious downloading e.g, like a partial file in the location showing??? Just have to be patient on my slower ADSL line and see what happens :)

Install relatively painless and seems it's going to be easy to get on with ... however my Kaspersky Internet Security has been 'removed' as incompatible and I can't find whether any current version is compatible with Win10 :thinking:

Hmmm! I was going to look for a compatibility tool................and must look at my installed programs and check that the versions installed are W10 ready? As for Kaspersky..............I was annoyed a while back as used that for ages but when I upgraded from W95 to W2K they had no compatible version so switched to ESET now on version 8 so hopefully W10 OK?

That would be my 2nd choice but their website doesn't seem to show Win10 compatibility :(

I have sent them a support request to see what they say......................it's not as if W10 has just been released so to speak!

Seems quite a few are late off the blocks ... just downloaded a trial of f-secure and that seems to be compatible.

First impressions are very good, everything seems to be working for me. Office 2013, Project, Visio, Adobe CC, Visual Studio, Jetbrains, Java, Ruby...The lot. And it is superfast and responsive as well.

I preferred the Windows 8.1 interface, but I'm sure I'll get used to this and get my apps back in the start menu. Loving Cortana as well, she's hot :)

View attachment 42821

Well I waited for this long and tried the creator tool again......................this time was slightly different but oh so helpfully I got this dialogue box telling that "Something happened" but no obvious download.....?

Now what do I make of that :LOL:

Clicking close just closes the box!

Seems quite a few are late off the blocks ... just downloaded a trial of f-secure and that seems to be compatible.

I hope ESET have something positive to reply as I have a license until 2016!

Well, started the media creator............and had the choice of "update this PC" or "download and ISO for later/installing on another PC" > this took me to dropdown choices of which I chose English, Windows 10 Pro, 32 bit or 64 bit or both> picked 64bit. As mentioned I use W7Pro 64 bit with SP1

I have Windows 8.1 32 bit at the moment, what you've just said doesn't mean I could download Windows 10 64 bit does it?

Just updated pc from 8.1 pro to Win 10 pro, only issue is it wouldn't play my MP3 files on either preinstalled media players so downloaded Winamp instead

I have Windows 8.1 32 bit at the moment, what you've just said doesn't mean I could download Windows 10 64 bit does it?

AFAIK you can download what you want but the upgrade is only on a like for like..............in other words you cannot get/use by way of the version what you have never had???

Right as soon a I have copied off my 4GB USB stick and I am going to try that 'save' route in case it is the ISO download causing an undisclosed error? Will update soon :)

:( well this is just plain odd, the tool found the USB 4GB drive and the same "Something Happened" happened???

Last edited:
I have Googled for this event and others are reporting it but without resolution??? Not sure what to try next.........is it the copy of the tool? The PC because Win update is messed up, but surely this is a straightforward download? or what ????

I just tried to install it and it got through everything and rebooted. Then i was faced with a repair screen saying i could restart or rollback. Resterted a couple of times but got the same messages. Rolled it back and it came up with a message saying Win 10 couldn't be installed due to a boot error. Typing this on the PC that has never had a boot error ever lol

Just ran into a problem with my media centre PC. I knew I'd lose the media centre functions, which is annoying - especially the loss of use of the media remote - but I also lost the ability to play DVDs and mounted DVD ISO images. VLC (free) can handle the playback of physical DVD discs, but not mounted ISOs. For now I'm rolling back to 8.1 on my media centre machine. I'll stick with 10 on my various laptops (three of them) as I don't need to play DVDs or ISO images on those (currently!).

installed. took ages to boot, after several attmpts to get into safe mode which failed finally got in.. only to find no network. went to control panel and network centre and damn thing kept freezing/ locking up or doing absolutely nothing.
refused to find any connections and when it did it just hung then crashed.. 6 hours later managed to finally get into restore mode and rolled back to win 7 which is working perfectly... pile of s***e

installed. took ages to boot, after several attmpts to get into safe mode which failed finally got in.. only to find no network. went to control panel and network centre and damn thing kept freezing/ locking up or doing absolutely nothing.
refused to find any connections and when it did it just hung then crashed.. 6 hours later managed to finally get into restore mode and rolled back to win 7 which is working perfectly... pile of s***e
Sounds like it doesn't like Win7 to me :bat:

Just installed 10 on this 'ere HP Pavillion lappy.
All seems to be OK but seems a bit slower when browsing.
Anyone else feel its running a bit slower?
Mine has been slow all evening, quite liking Edge though on SP3, seems so much faster than IE already, I may even give up Chrome on the PC at this rate :)

Hmm!!

Looking at a few posts above I wonder if we need a poll of which OS folk are updating from and as such who has had issues???

FWIW I thought I must try the compatibility tester but it seems it is only available via Win Update (not a standalone tester) and my Win Update Agent is stuffed so that is a deadend for me that is why given time(?) I was hoping W10 would be my route to new stable OS with everything humming along nicely ~ I can hope :LOL:

I've updated from 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3. Edge is most definitely faster, very fast. I really like it even though no plugins are currently supported. The whole experience is super slick and fast, and I love the multiple desktops as I used them all the time on my Mac....

I always used Classic shell to make Windows 8 work more like Windows 7 with a proper start button. That migrated across fine, but I've just uninstalled that to see the real 10 and it's certainly much better than that POS that 8 has.
that answered one of my questions!
The other being, will i need my OS product key? the only place i have this is on the sticker which i stuck on the bottom of my laptop...which has now rubbed completely off!!:eek::eek::eek:

that answered one of my questions!
The other being, will i need my OS product key? the only place i have this is on the sticker which i stuck on the bottom of my laptop...which has now rubbed completely off!!:eek::eek::eek:
You can get your product key from System Properties :)

FWIW the rollback of my media centre PC from 10 to 8.1 Pro (with media centre) went without a hitch.

Back