weekly Garys(Gjhill) 52 for 22 - Week 52 - Showcase

Technology - I'm sure we have the same kettle, the water does get very animated when it's nearly boiled!! At least being see through you can do your bit for the environment and use less water. The technology in a kettle probably hasn't changed much in years with a bi-metallic strip used to disconnect the element circuit, though the LED part is more modern.

Discarded - Hopefully only there briefly before being disposed of correctly. The mono processing works well, I'm sure the house bricks would have been quite noticeable in the original.

Flora - Not being green fingered I'm welcome for the knowledge I can gain from posts like this. The vertically pointing leaf looks interesting.

Unusual - Looks like Kung Fu panda about to land on someone's head!!
More than meets the theme unless this is normally found in the trees where you live.

Snappers Choice - The long discarded metalwork is fitting in nicely with its surrounding, well spotted and a pleasing composition.

Trees - It's amazing at times how much a photo changes once you remove the colour, looks suitably moody.

I love the unusual wildlife in Ramsbottom - so funny! :)

Snapper's choice - well spotted. Lots of detail captured and makes an interesting contrast of natural and man made.

Trees - very moody shot. It feels like the tree is really looming over you and quite oppressive.

That's a lovely atmospheric tree shot Gary.
Thanks
I really struggled with this challenge even though my daily dog walks pass thro the local park and woods
I liked the way this tree seemed to loom over the footpath

Quite a dramatic shot. Works really well with the mono processing.

week 17 hole.jpg

What is it Gary (apart from a hole)? Looks like something out of a war zone.

What is it Gary (apart from a hole)? Looks like something out of a war zone.
It’s some sort of hopper, down in the woods where I take the dog
it was a mill and village in the 18/ early 1900s demolished finally around 1950 and the woods have ‘taken over’

Good shot Gary, I like the context that you provided to Peter above.

Good shot Gary, I like the context that you provided to Peter above.
Thanks
there are lots of interesting things scattered throughout the woods

An interesting shot.. it's great to see these things being overtaken by nature.

week 18 sunset-2.jpg

Really , really struggled with this weeks challenge
last minute shot wed night , it was clear for once!!

Over the back fence by the look of it.

This weeks was hard due to the weather (where I was) I think you did well so get some colour.

Pete

Over the back fence by the look of it.

This weeks was hard due to the weather (where I was) I think you did well so get some colour.

Pete
Yes over the fence

I think we have all struggled with the weather this week. The more I look at this the more I love the patterns created by the branches. You could almost crop out the bottom of the image and create an interesting abstract.

I think we have all struggled with the weather this week. The more I look at this the more I love the patterns created by the branches. You could almost crop out the bottom of the image and create an interesting abstract.
That was my original idea but forgot in the rush to post

Yes I think it's been a tricky week weatherwise with overcast skies for most of us. I spotted a lovely sunset when I drove home last night - but too late for me.

I think you should congratulate yourself on not using an archived shot. You got out with your camera and you captured an on theme shot, so well done!

Somehow it makes me thing of a sunrise rather than a sunset, but I don't know why. Is it smoke I see rising in the image?

Yes I think it's been a tricky week weatherwise with overcast skies for most of us. I spotted a lovely sunset when I drove home last night - but too late for me.

I think you should congratulate yourself on not using an archived shot. You got out with your camera and you captured an on theme shot, so well done!

Somehow it makes me thing of a sunrise rather than a sunset, but I don't know why. Is it smoke I see rising in the image?
I did have an old shot lined up ready but decided in the end not to use it
the smoke is I think steam and it’s from a paper mill in the valley

It'll do for the theme Gary. I've been squinting at the white visible through the trees. Is it chimney smoke?

DSC_0023_005week 19 sports.jpg

It's kind of the same question I ask some photographers that I know..."how many lenses do you need to bring with you?"

It's a good shot Gary, I am wondering why you chose to frame him to the left rather than the right though?

It's kind of the same question I ask some photographers that I know..."how many lenses do you need to bring with you?"

It's a good shot Gary, I am wondering why you chose to frame him to the left rather than the right though

thanks
its a shot through a gap in the surrounding woods therefore no real alternative

thanks
its a shot through a gap in the surrounding woods therefore no real alternative
Aaah, makes sense. I was thinking that maybe you were constrained in some way...sometimes we just have to take what we can get :D

That's a lot of kit! I rather like the negative space on the left although it would be nice to see a little more in front of him. Shooting through a fence tricky though.

week 20 parallel.JPG

been thinking of a project along the lines!! of power and telephone apparatus so this weeks theme is a bit easier for me

I am sure one of the older more well known American street/documentary togs did something similar

Gary

Last edited:
You're right Gary, (not American but thinking along the same lines...no pun intended... :D).

I think that if I was taking this shot I might have tried having the lines intersect the corners of the frame in the top right and bottom left.

Still a good image though, just how my mind works when I'm out shooting..

Last edited:
Back