weekly Gav's TP 52 - 2023 - Week 16 - Connected

Week 1

Your area + Juxtaposition (?)

I pass these everyday and I still don't know who left them here or why.

I'm hoping Juxtaposition is covered, as these items are 'Out of water' as the area is nothing but farm land and nearest water is miles away.

Not the the greatest image to start :LOL:

Out of water
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

I've given you the tech tick.
You do realise you don't have to apply the tech to all the photos in th3 2 month block yes?

I may have been tempted to selectively bring the highlights up on the subjects just a tad, to give the shot additional pop.

Last edited:
I've given you the tech tick.
You do realise you don't have to apply the tech to all the photos in th3 2 month block yes?
Thank you, I did assume it only needed to be covered once, but could be a nice challange :LOL:
I may have been tempted to selectively bring the highlights up on the subjects just a tad, to give the shot additional pop.
Thank you for the feedback, I'll keep that in mind for future images (y)

You could darken the sky and lighten the boat to give a bit more interest, but it's your area and the tech is out of the way.

You could darken the sky and lighten the boat to give a bit more interest, but it's your area and the tech is out of the way.
Thank you for the feedback (y)
I'll take note, I've a lot to learn ;):LOL:

Good start, but as others have mentioned it needs lifting slightly looks a little underexposed.

Works perfectly for juxtaposition, so sad that I see so many boats like this left to rot in a field, how far is the nearest water?

Works perfectly for juxtaposition, so sad that I see so many boats like this left to rot in a field, how far is the nearest water?
Thank you, nearest river/marina is about 8 miles away. Is a shame to see them left like this, there is a few other bits in the hedge too :(

Great detail in the sky. I would consider boosting the shadows to reveal a bit more detail in the dark areas, as others have said, it looks a tad underexposed.

Great detail in the sky. I would consider boosting the shadows to reveal a bit more detail in the dark areas, as others have said, it looks a tad underexposed.
Thank you, I will watch out for this in the future :)

Good spot, lovely sky and well composed. Processing / exposure can be corrected.

Last edited:
It's a good image Gav and greatly improved with the second edit!

Good start.. the second edit is a definite improvement as it brings out the rust and detail on the boat.

Well spotted Gav - they are definitely out of place there and it fits the tech challenge. I was going to suggest lifting it slightly but having read the comments and seen your second image it has more 'pop' now. Good luck with your 52 and your learning curve!
Thank you, I felt I had to try another edit after all the feedback ;) Thank you (y)
Good start.. the second edit is a definite improvement as it brings out the rust and detail on the boat.
Thank you (y)

Much better now you've lightened it a little.

I think the BG is entirely suitable, lovely and even colour to it too. I wonder if you have the space to offset it to the left or right a little maybe? Not sure which way I'd go though?!?

I think the BG is entirely suitable, lovely and even colour to it too. I wonder if you have the space to offset it to the left or right a little maybe? Not sure which way I'd go though?!?

If it has to be in the middle - I'd crop it square :)

Nice pic for the theme Gav :)

If it has to be in the middle - I'd crop it square :)

Nice pic for the theme Gav :)

Thank you both (y) I was struggling with the comp' on this one, I'll admit, I never thought of square crop.

52632695841_727b85980b_k.jpg

Lovely.. although it does look a bit like a triffid? Good dof and the background looks fine for me.

Your area - I do like your edit which does improve the image.
Incomplete - The DOF on this is really interesting, almost as if there is two images blended together.

Your area - I do like your edit which does improve the image.
Incomplete - The DOF on this is really interesting, almost as if there is two images blended together.
Thank you.
The DoF on incomplete was with a macro lens, I tried to get the unopenned flower and buds sharp to show the theme (y)

Not an easy thing to take a picture of you have done well maybe a bit of a push to the whites might help I take it the BG was white originally

Not an easy thing to take a picture of you have done well maybe a bit of a push to the whites might help I take it the BG was white originally
Thank you, I must admit, I had pulled the hightlights dowm a tad as I felt it over power the OoF flowers, I'll take another look (y)

Hi all

My catch up post, sorry for the delay.

Thank you for looking

Week 3 Artificial
A real Bonsai tree but has been artificially shaped and trimmed. Sorry for layout I'm struggling for space.

Bonsai - TP 52

Week 4 Transparent
A Glass Terrarium, So sorry for the hard water marks :headbang:

Terrarium - TP 52

Week 5 Snappers Choice
A pair of Hares - my safe space ;):)

Pair Of Hare

Week 6 Knob(s)
I sometimes make Knobs at work for restoration projects, here's one I made earlier..

Brass Knob - TP 52

Terrarium's really nice, assume it's lit just by it's own light there. Giving a really interesting shadow and the concentric rings around it.

Hare's are great too - really low POV and I imagine they're not that easy to spot, and don;t hang around long. Don't think I've ever even seen one!

And the knob is great too. Lovely reflection, I'd have had the clone tool out on a couple of the bigger dust specks.

Back