Gritty 52 Challenge For 2020.

Week 4 Snappers Choice. Technique - Silhouette..

Funny how sometimes we focus so hard on our vision that its not until we have given up because its not working for us that we see other things around us.....
I had spent an hour setting up a Silhouette" composition and just didn't feel it, got a couple of ok shots and as I turned round to come back up the path was presented with this view.

Sillouette.jpg

Now a "Happy Heather" as have a shot I am happy fits the technique. I wasn't sure how to edit this so have left it as it came out of camera.... any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Like it! Maybe a bit dark at the bottom, so maybe crop out the river totally above the twig thing on the bank that distracts a bit. It would make it just about a square shot.

1) Very nice Heather.
Yours is a lot bigger than mine :D Plus you have a reflection (y)

2) I fixed the linky

3) I can read deleted posts Therefore it gives me no great pleasure to ... (y)
:D

-Donut.png

1) Very nice Heather.
Yours is a lot bigger than mine :D Plus you have a reflection (y)

2) I fixed the linky

3) I can read deleted posts Therefore it gives me no great pleasure to ... (y)
:D

View attachment 267779

Dammit, your a slippery one [emoji216] I was hoping I was quick enough but then it did tell me I didn’t have the authority to permanently delete my message..
I really thought I had sorted my linky this week... bugger...

I was trying to give feedback before I went out today.

Very nice Heather a dark and moody fits the technical too. The reflection is the icing on the cake.

Discarded is week 4, not week 3.
Snappers Choice is week 5 not week 4...
Now I've noticed that, I've corrected the challenge sheet (it was missing your week 4)

Anyway... Snappers Choice...
Works well for the theme and is a decently moody shot of a tree. Not really my thing, but I can appreciate it is well executed :)

Fits the technique perfectly and I am in agreement with Clive, slightly spooky.

Dammit, your a slippery one
emoji216.png
apparently so :D

Week 6 - Wild..... Seas
I am sure I am not the only one who has seen some amazing "Wild Seas" this past week. I am lucky I live just off the beach, but we still suffered flooding in our road due to waves coming over the sea wall but the houses right on the front could only watch as the waves covered their houses at times... typically I did not have my camera or even on my phone on me at those times but I did go out later and get these photos. I was hiding behind a wall in a friends drive for the 1st photo and the delivery van just driving out of sight narrowly escaped this coming over on him.

Wild - Seas (2).jpg

Wild - Seas (1).jpg

Last edited:
^^^ That here too!

First shot for me by a mile, like the energy you have got with the motion blur in the wave, adds dynamism to the shot, can just imagine you hiding behind your neighbours wall! Cant see anything OOF at all.Really good shot that tells a story.

#2 shot for me as it looks more in focus, as like that you got the rolling waves.

Thanks Dave, my other half looked at shot 2 and said it didn’t do the power of the waves or the height of the waves justice... hence the one hiding in my friends drive posed ready with my finger continually on the back focus button... every time the waves came over the wall I felt the pull of the water around my calves and the sound of the stones was deafening. I did think it didn’t look in focus but I thought that added to the force and power feeling to it. I wished I had used a grad tho, just to define the flat sky as there was some colour in it.Thanks for the feedback :)

It's the second photo for me too. It's got more of a dramatic feel to it.

Cheers Nostromo, it was definitely a powerful day I struggled to stay upright at times.

First shot for me by a mile, like the energy you have got with the motion blur in the wave, adds dynamism to the shot, can just imagine you hiding behind your neighbours wall! Cant see anything OOF at all.Really good shot that tells a story.

Thank you Baloo, I was just driving over to the other side of my village to get a shot of it Breaking on the house at Bill Point when I saw this, so stuck the van back on the drive and walked around the corner.. It was amazing to witness, shame I didn’t get a shot of it over the houses, I tried from 4 different angles.

The shot with the wave breaking right over the wall for me. It really shows the power of the weather.

Cheers LC2, I was pleased I have been on leave this week to capture this shot and the weather, normally I’m at work..

The first shot for me too. Well done.. I was out trying to capture waves and they're not easy to predict or fire the shutter at the right time. That's a wave and a half :)

First shot for me as well - absolutely amazing. Personally, I really like the motion in the wave as I think it shows the power of the water. It's a POV I've not seen before as well - which also makes it a bit more interesting to me. Well shot!

Nice shots, I like the energy the first shot shows more. Did you get wet taking it?

The wave crashing over the road is the more wild for me, very dramatic

LINKY
Week 7 - Broken
So this week we have been blighted with dreadful weather and there has been an abundance of broken trees as I found on my walks but due to the plain boring skies none of the compositions I took were working for me so this week I have gone out of my comfort zone and resorted to an indoor experiment.

My late father In law bought this Sculpture at Guildford cathedral after my wives graduation having seen it in the café area. It is made by John Fenney and is a limited edition and is No 20, it is called the "Soldiers of Ypres". Having lost family at Ypres I can't help looking at these soldiers and thinking they are "Broken".
I tried to uplight this with a red headtorch to give me more of a dramatic feel, but couldn't get the colour contrast right it kept coming out too light or too dark, I apologise for the crack in the left hand corner of the composition, I havn't learnt how to take things like that out yet on Lr or Ps.

Broken.jpg

Love this very poignant reminder of a broken generation, like the shadow cast. My personal favourite of the shots I've seen for broken.

A very thoughtful take on the theme and I'm sure very, very true. I really like the use of the shadow - it underlines the grief.

Love this very poignant reminder of a broken generation, like the shadow cast. My personal favourite of the shots I've seen for broken.

Thank you Baloo, I really appreciate your comments. The shadow really does help to convey a powerful emotion. I love this statue, despite the history behind it.

A very thoughtful take on the theme and I'm sure very, very true. I really like the use of the shadow - it underlines the grief.

Thank you Helen,
Whilst dusting it, I saw the composition so had to scrap the broken tree shots and focus on trying to do this beautiful sculpture justice. I agree the shadow adds to the take.

Only one comment on this image. I think it is a very good take on the theme and agree with Helen on the shadow as it just makes it more powerful to me, also like the gritty look.

Thanks Dave,
I really appreciate your comments, once again I have gone out in search of a composition for a theme this week and it’s been under my nose all this time. I agree the “Gritty” look & the shadow enhance it...

Very poignant Heather, I love the statue and the processing (y)

once again I have gone out in search of a composition for a theme this week and it’s been under my nose all this time.
Isn't that always the way though ;)

Last edited:
Back