Gritty 52 Challenge For 2020.

Hey Heather,
That's some catch up. Glad you're still with us :)
That's good (or brave) of you, lending out your laptop for work purposes. I know I wouldn't have (but then I read the terms from my old employer for installing work email on your personal phone - it gave them the permission and ability to format the phone if they so wished... Needless to say, I didn't install it!)
  • Winter - My initial thoughts on this were that I would bring the whites up a bit to give it more pop. But on reflection, it's a winter's image, so the subdued tones are more appropriate the way you've presented it.
  • Book - Does your other half Cosplay? Young Mr Potter is a reasonably popular character at comic cons. Very nicely laid out, composed and taken :)
  • Fence(d) - Definitely portrays the theme. Whilst it's a muted shot, I'm wondering if lifting the whites would allow the sails to stand out?
  • Transport - Feels a little to me like a raw shot that hasn't been tweaked. (But then if you've not had time to sit at your laptop and play, that's understandable). I think this is the weakest of the catch up.
  • Flora - Light makes such a difference doesn't it. Love this, with the bright yellows popping against the blue (y)
  • Time - Weird how the towers are vertical yet the clock face isn't. Gotta love a bit of Potter. There's even a Dementor. Interesting how it's almost B&W but not quite.
  • Snappers - Loads of detail captured there :) Do you have a flickr account to host these on? As it would be interesting to see the exif data for the settings. I'm guessing wide open of quite a slow shutter speed here?
  • Initial - Absolutely understand where you're coming from here as my brother is an ambulance driver though patient transfer rather than paramedic - He's not having to be kept away from family as he doesn't work with "confirmed cases", but their PPE consists of masks and a polythene sheet gaffer taped between the cab and the rest of the ambulance.
    All I can say here is keep up the good work, stay safe and stay strong (platitudes I know, but 99% of the general public know what you are doing for us and are grateful (and the 1% protesters are just idiots).
  • More Than One - Lovely bit of low key. Very muted and well controlled lighting.
    Lighting is fun isn't it :) I'm sure you'll very quickly become hooked.
  • Music - I didn't recognise the lyrics, but once googled, yes I knew the track. I think the image could do with the whites being pushed as the white of the box is leaning towards 18% grey. A quick tweak would give it a bit more impact imo.
    Of course, muted might have been exactly what you were aiming for, given the subject, so YMMV.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to write the above, I really appreciate the feeedback, I have literally been up since 04:30 today trying to A) get the photos off my camera. B) work out how to do things in Lightroom and then some in Photoshop. C) then export them so I could upload them on here as the files were too big. I do have a Flickr account and will work out how to upload them on there.
Once again thank you

Heather I love your H for Heap image. What a difficult time for you. Thank you for all you are doing. I worry for all of you in the front line and impressed that you are able to contribute here at all.

I don’t know the song for music, but hope that you are managing to get some peaceful sleep.

Hi Bebop,
It’s certainly a trying time for all of us but we will come out the other side.
The Music idea was just a lead on from my Heap post.
Stay safe

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to write the above, I really appreciate the feeedback, I have literally been up since 04:30 today trying to A) get the photos off my camera. B) work out how to do things in Lightroom and then some in Photoshop. C) then export them so I could upload them on here as the files were too big. I do have a Flickr account and will work out how to upload them on there.
Once again thank you
Thanks for making the time to catch up :) You must be manic busy and knackered.
I actually find flickr easier than the forum uploads, because there is no file size restriction.
Cobra did a guide here:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/inserting-images-from-flickr-updated-22-08-15.7/
(That's actually everything condensed into a single image - it's easier than it makes it look).

it's easier than it makes it look
Oi! :bat:
:p diagrams are easier than an A4 sheet of words ( well they are for me anyway (y) )

Week 16 - Use Your First Initial H... H for HEAP

This is my uniform in a heap awaiting going into the washing machine... it is as exhausted as I am … In the last 9 weeks I have had 10 days off....

For all those people who say they are bored, all those who say they are fed up at home... I would willingly swap places with them.. everyday I have to protect myself , my crewmate, all the staff in A&E & the wards we enter and all the patients we come into contact with. I can only wave from a distance at my loved ones, as protecting them is at the forefront of my mind, the days I need a hug I can't have one.
I face death more that I face life, and the sadness in the faces of those we take to hospital, knowing they will not be sharing their last breath in the company of their loved ones. Even those that survive are lucky not to be left with co-morbidities such as heart failure, renal failure... this virus attacks every inch of us and kicks our immunity into next year... there is going to be a lot of keyworkers requiring support after this and a lot of family members with a huge void in their lives.

I offer you all a BIG virtual social distancing hug to you, your family and your colleagues.

A huge thank you to any of you or family members making bags such as the blue one here, this is my confirmed Covid 19 uniform bag, it contains the uniform that was worn when I was dealing with confirmed patients..
View attachment 277449

Hi Heather to me this is a great image and in these times now also a powerful image too, the way you all go about your work seeing and helping and saving people in your job is beyond words in what you all do. Please be safe and take care, and keep up your great photography and most of all please stay safe.

What an amazing catch up! The photos that really jumped out at me were the swan (beautiful!) the still life (I can really see how this was your Zen moment) and the heap of uniform.

Thanks for the heartfelt words as well - virtual hug back at you. We have a bunch of single youngsters where I work and they're the folks I'm most worried about. Physically, they'll probably be fine, but I just can't imagine not touching another human for months on end.

Some lovely images there considering what you must be dealing with at the moment.
Stand outs for me are the swan in Snappers Choice and More than 1.. beautiful moody shot.

@Gritty I know Tim has pointed you towards the guide. I just thought I’d mention how I do mine - since you use Lightroom.

I downsize it to 1000px on longest edge and make sure it is less than 500kb. (I’ve saved that as an export preset). I then attach it to the post rather than clicking on the image icon and choose full image. It works for me [emoji4]

Last edited:
What an amazing catch up! The photos that really jumped out at me were the swan (beautiful!) the still life (I can really see how this was your Zen moment) and the heap of uniform.

Thanks for the heartfelt words as well - virtual hug back at you. We have a bunch of single youngsters where I work and they're the folks I'm most worried about. Physically, they'll probably be fine, but I just can't imagine not touching another human for months on end.

Thank you Shugpug, yep I had my work cut out... luckily I had taken some photos around the time they were posted for that week. I must admit having been lent some lights and soft boxes it allowed me to be at peace and I had a good couple of hours pleasure.

This is a very challenging and difficult time for all of us, keep your eyes on the youngsters.
See you on the other side, cameras at the ready.

Some lovely images there considering what you must be dealing with at the moment.
Stand outs for me are the swan in Snappers Choice and More than 1.. beautiful moody shot.

Thanks Helen, I must admit the swan has been one of my favourites and I was able to relax whilst shooting the more than one.

What a great set to catch-up. Well done!

Thanks Phil, I have had to put some leg work and hours in to play catch up.

@Gritty I know Tim has pointed you towards the guide. I just thought I’d mention how I do mine - since you use Lightroom.

I downsize it to 1000px on longest edge and make sure it is less than 500kb. (I’ve saved that as an export preset). I then attach it to the post rather than clicking on the image icon and choose full image. It works for me [emoji4]

Thanks Bebop
Thanks for the advice, I am only just starting to dip my toe in the water with Lightroom and Photoshop and am having to google and you tube to find answers to my question. I never thought about saving sizes as an export preset. I have so much to learn.
Thank you again for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

What an excellent catch up, the depict a book is a very nice composition, your more than 1 has lovely subtle lighting, Lovely swan portrait too. Keep up the good work and stay safe.

What an excellent catch up, the depict a book is a very nice composition, your more than 1 has lovely subtle lighting, Lovely swan portrait too. Keep up the good work and stay safe.

Cheers Clive,
Thank you for the feedback hope your keeping yourself safe in isolation.

A good selection of shots for your catch up. I particularly like the depict a book, Harry Potter shot and your winter shot really does look wintery, but also colourful.

Once Again Find Myself Catching Up.
Week 19 - Colour (ful)

I took an early walk on the beach at low tide with my trusty 4 legged friend and these buoys were catching the morning light and caught my eye.

Colourful 4.jpg

The next day I wanted to use some softboxes I have been lent to do some creative photography and I found these pencils. My OCD's are not happy with the layout as I don't think its symmetrical but my photoshop skills are still minimal so after a day and a half of trying to edit it I am succumbing to just uploading it for your feedback.

Colourful 2.jpg

Week 20 - Something Old With B&W Technique

We found this beautiful set of scales when clearing out my late father in laws house, we sadly never got the chance to ask him where he got them from..... I felt they were suitable to be edited in the B&W technique.

Something Old.jpg

Week 21 Liquid

Well once again I was spoilt for choice, I have had a few days off so headed out for some fun in the garden as the weather has been so hot. So with a pack of balloons and a bubble gun here is the choices.

Liquid 3 2.jpg

Liquid 4.jpg

Liquid 2.jpg

Nice scales for old. Just love that balloon shot! How did you time it?

Nice scales for old. Just love that balloon shot! How did you time it?

Hi Dave, Thank you. Timing was just down to luck truth be told, my other half got soaked as it took us several attempts.
I suspended it with garden twine from the guttering on our summerhouse. I attached a sewing needle to a cane and then we counted 1,2,3 prick :)
I used natural light 50mm 1:4 @f1:4, ISO 100, 6400 in manual mode, camera on a tripod with shutter release cable. Lots of fun.

Colour: A terrific shot.
Scales: I like the composition, though I might have upped the contrast in processing a little to make them stand out from the background.
Liquid: All lovely. I like no. 3 the best.

Hi Dave, Thank you. Timing was just down to luck truth be told, my other half got soaked as it took us several attempts.
I suspended it with garden twine from the guttering on our summerhouse. I attached a sewing needle to a cane and then we counted 1,2,3 prick :)
I used natural light 50mm 1:4 @f1:4, ISO 100, 6400 in manual mode, camera on a tripod with shutter release cable. Lots of fun.

Looks so much fun. thank you for an ideal on settings. It’s something I’m really starting to get my head around so this was really useful

Good to see that you have caught up Heather :) and in fact you're now ahead of most of us...
  • Colour(ful) - Very colourful and nicely captured, especially with the reflections and clear water showing the stones on the sea bed. With the pencil shot, I don't think it's PS that's triggering your OCD, it's that the yellow pencils aren't quite vertical, where the blue ones are horizontal. Not something easily fixed in PS (You could do it with transform, but better to get the subject exactly how you want it first.)
    Sometimes it's better to go with a deliberately wonky angle.
  • Old - Bang on for the theme and technique. The weight needs adjustment doesn't it? It's set to over charge ;)
  • Liquid - #1 one is a balloon popping? Caught spot on (just read the comments to Dave). #3 is my favourite of the 3 shots though. I think it's the simplicity and the star-bursts.

Great catch up Heather.
The buoys certainly are colourful
I like the old scales and the processing
Liquid, great fun image.

Colour: Both great. Pencils just edge it for me though.
Old: Great detail and subject. Very nice capture.
Liquid: Clever and fun.

Colourful - 2 nice images I like the first image the best.

Old Lovely b&W conversion some nice details and textures

Liquid A nice set of images all three are very cleverly executed.

The liquid images look fantastic and lots of fun to do. All great - #2 stands out for me.

Colourful
I quite like the buoy's, I would make be have gotten a little lower, just so the bouy broke the line of the horizon.
I can't see much wrong with the pencils myself.

Old
A good choice for old, works well in b&w.

Liquid
The balloon edges it for me.

Nice catch up!

The buoys for me - fantastic light on them! Nice set of scales, but your bearded balloon is inspired! Well worth a soaking - good job it's warm!

Week 22 (Catching Up Again) Why do I do this to myself, well ok it wasn't all my fault this time...

Household item close up...o_O

Having left a tissue in here on more than one occasion it only seemed appropriate for that it should feature in this challenge.

Household Item.jpg

Week 23

Hidden Away... (A bit like I have been)

I managed to get a few hours to myself and went down to my local RSPB site to take some landscape photo's but when I looked down this "Turnstone" was searching near me for something that was hidden away from him.

Hidden (away).jpg

Week 24

Small

I managed to get away during this week up to North Wales and whilst in the garden I was mesmerised by this little chappie.

Small.jpg

Week 25

Snappers Choice

Managed a trip to Anglesea and went on a RIB ride to Puffin Island, I didn't see any puffins but lots of seals. It doesn't look very sharp on here but in full res I was happy with this one.

Snappers Choice.jpg

Week 26

Mother Nature

Again compressing these has not done them justice.

Mother Nature.jpg

Week 27

Signs

I am lucky to live a 5 min walk from of a nature reserve and these signs are a common sight over breeding season.

Signs.jpg

Back