HDEW CAMERAS anyone used them?

Anyone bought anything in the last few weeks from HDEW?
Considering going to them for an EM-1 (or Panamoz)

Am swaying toward HDEW - even though they are 60-80 quid dearer (the bacs thing) as they have what seems to be a more established UK presence.

Opinion?

HDEW, without a doubt, so little extra for the security of buying from a UK seller rather than taking the chance on one being smuggled in from HK seems worth it.

HDEW, without a doubt, so little extra for the security of buying from a UK seller rather than taking the chance on one being smuggled in from HK seems worth it.

Without getting into a mass debate - they both appear to be smuggled in from HK from what I can tell - it is just that one has a bricks and mortar shop here in the uk where the smuggled goods arrive before getting sent on to the buyer and one send directly from HK to the buyer and only has a business suite PO box address in the UK.

Or maybe I'm wrong :)

Having said that - I am leaning toward the seemingly less risky HDEW!

Last edited:
Used them a few times as well as panamoz. Prefer hdew as have a U.K. presence. They also and give a 3 year warranty with most cameras using A J Johnstone in Glasgow for repairs.

Without getting into a mass debate - they both appear to be smuggled in from HK from what I can tell - it is just that one has a bricks and mortar shop here in the uk where the smuggled goods arrive before getting sent on to the buyer and one send directly from HK to the buyer and only has a business suite PO box address in the UK.

Sorry, I was referring to the issue from the point of view of the buyer.

Buying from HDEW puts any obligations on them, as Joe Public is buying and paying for the item from a retailer actually present in the UK and (more importantly) who posts the item to you from within the UK.

It also helps to have a local door to bang on if things were to go wrong ;).

Are you publicly suggesting that HDEW are breaking the law?

Used them a couple of weeks ago to buy a Nikon D610 and a Sigma lens. I too was worried about various things, so asked about warranties, import tax etc. Their customer service was absolutely brilliant and now I have a great camera and lens, under a full 3 year warranty, that I am really happy with. I also registered for the 1 year Nikon international warranty and it was accepted. I'd not hesitate to use them. Please see their response below:

Hello Natalie,

Yes we dispatch from our office in Surrey. The price you see on our website will be the price you pay with UK VAT included, so there are no hidden costs.

The D610 has a three year warranty, which covers you for mechanical faults, breakdown, parts and labour and this will be repaired in the UK through a Nikon Repair agent. The first year of the warranty is a Nikon International warranty and the next two years will be with us as your retailer.

We are a Sigma UK stockist so the lens will come with the full 3 Years Sigma UK warranty.

Due to the value of the order delivery can only go to the address where your card is registered too. If you pay via a Bank Transfer then it can be delivered to another address.

Delivery is within 3-5 working days from placing your order. We can can mark on the order to contact you when ready for dispatch and then arrange a day suitable for delivery.

Please call us on 0208 669 5668 10am - 5pm (or 10am – 2:30pm on sat) if you are interested, or if you would like any more information.

Kind regards

Melissa

Are deliveries fairly consistently with 5 working days? I ordered on Sunday but not heard anything since aside from order confirmation. Was hoping to have the gear by this weekend but I guess if I've had no despatch email yet that's unlikely.

Have fired off an email to check the status (can't access a phone in office hours tomorrow)

Are deliveries fairly consistently with 5 working days? I ordered on Sunday but not heard anything since aside from order confirmation. Was hoping to have the gear by this weekend but I guess if I've had no despatch email yet that's unlikely.

Have fired off an email to check the status (can't access a phone in office hours tomorrow)

Any update Chris? I'm intending to order this week so am interested....

Any update Chris? I'm intending to order this week so am interested....

Despatched Friday, sadly not via RMSD (it's with FedEx I believe) so nothing yet, back at work Monday so it will probably follow the usual path I get with couriers...go back and forth with cards through the door for a few days, then I head to the depot next Saturday to collect!

Last edited:
Arrived today just as I was leaving, bit of luck!

The body only D7000 was an open box 18-105 kit, not a problem in itself but a little disconcerting (never had a new open box item before) so will double check shutter count is ok later.

D7000 broken already (it hasn't left the house yet, shutter count is about 7!), 1) battery jams in the battery compartment, very hard to remove, and 2) camera will not switch off with the battery installed.

So I get to find out what their aftersales service is like now as well, I've pinged off an email this evening.

there is a little spring loaded catch which is yellow that you need to pull back in order to take the battery out...

just got my 10-18 canon lens from Hdew. arrived safe and sound, plenty of communication with Melissa and there aftercare is very good. only thing i would say is if you do have a DOA item then you may have to wiat several days for a replacement if they dont have stock. though they get deliveries come in pretty much every day the higher priced items they tend to order on demand rather than have as holding stock hence the 5 odd days delivery time.

there is a little spring loaded catch which is yellow that you need to pull back in order to take the battery out...

Yep, nothing happens when you pull that back.

D7000 broken already (it hasn't left the house yet, shutter count is about 7!), 1) battery jams in the battery compartment, very hard to remove, and 2) camera will not switch off with the battery installed.

So I get to find out what their aftersales service is like now as well, I've pinged off an email this evening.

Be very interested to hear your experience with after sales.

Yep, nothing happens when you pull that back.

you seem to have two problems, will not switch off and battery stuck

do you get any error messages?

is there a problems with the yellow tab? - Can you post an image of the battery stuck in the camera

just bought a Nikon 105mm f2.8VR micro from them - great service and a good price

Also used them in the past with no problems

Last edited:
They replied next day, it's already heading back to them via RMSD, I can have a refund or repair (I'm going with refund) and my postage refunded. So hopefully that will all get sorted next week.

There were no error messages, it just froze in the exact state it was at when on as soon as you switched it off, if you switched the LCD light on that even stayed stuck on. I left the battery out for a day, reset the camera etc, still did the same.

The battery tab looked fine and cleared the battery quite happily when flicked back, so no idea what was jamming that but it was very tough to remove. I compared it to my D600 and couldn't see anything obviously damaged.

I guess they are related in some way, it would be incredibly bad luck to have two completely independent faults on a brand new camera right from day one.

Last edited:
Email to say full refund has been processed today, that was mighty quick.

Nothing appeared yet, but given it was a Tesco Credit Card and the payment I made to that last Thursday has still not shown up, I guess it could be a while.

Refund received for my faulty D7000. Am I right in thinking I should receive a refund for the postage (either the original postage cost, the return postage cost, or both?) as it was faulty and returned within 7 days? I've received neither at the moment.

I had the same problem with my D7000, the battery would not come out. Nothing to do with the yellow tab as that cleared the battery but it would only come out with great difficulty and damaged fingernail. Bought it from Amazon who replaced it immediately.

Refund received for my faulty D7000. Am I right in thinking I should receive a refund for the postage (either the original postage cost, the return postage cost, or both?) as it was faulty and returned within 7 days? I've received neither at the moment.

DSR says you should be refunded for both postage costs if an item is faulty.

From the OFT guidelines:

Refunds (Regulation 14)

What specifically do I have to refund to the consumer if they cancel?

1. 3.48 The DSRs require you to refund any money paid by or on behalf of the consumer in relation to the contract to the person who made the payment. This means the full price of the goods, or deposit or pre- payment made, including the cost of delivery. The essence of distance selling is that consumers buy from home and receive goods at home. In these circumstances, almost every case of home shopping will involve delivery of the goods ordered and so delivery forms an essential part of the contract.

Return of goods following cancellation (Regulation 17)

Who pays for returning the goods if the consumer cancels an order?

1. 3.55 If you want the consumer to return the goods and to pay for that return, you must make it clear in the contract and as part of the required written information – see paragraph 3.10. If the consumer then fails to return the goods, or sends them at your expense, you can charge them the direct cost to you of the return, even if you have already refunded the consumer’s money. You are not allowed to make any further charges, such as a restocking charge or an administration charge.

2. 3.56 If you did not include these details in the required written information then you cannot charge anything. See paragraph 3.10. You can never require consumers to pay the cost of returning substitute goods – see paragraph 3.1 for more information.

3. 3.57 If the goods are faulty or do not comply with the contract, you will have to pay for their return whatever the circumstances.

Or Trading Standards website

http://dshub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/dsrexplained

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my D7000, the battery would not come out. Nothing to do with the yellow tab as that cleared the battery but it would only come out with great difficulty and damaged fingernail. Bought it from Amazon who replaced it immediately.

HDEW emailed me today to say after extensive testing they could find nothing at all wrong with the camera. Very strange, was certainly poorly whilst it was in my possession. Wish I had videoed it now as I feel like they assume I was lying!

HDEW emailed me today to say after extensive testing they could find nothing at all wrong with the camera. Very strange, was certainly poorly whilst it was in my possession. Wish I had videoed it now as I feel like they assume I was lying!

Just tell them in terms of the Distance Selling Regulations it doesn't matter, you don't need a reason to return an item.

Just tell them in terms of the Distance Selling Regulations it doesn't matter, you don't need a reason to return an item.

Yes this!

I think the battery thing is one of those niggly faults that occurs. When I couldn't get the battery out my other half tried and it came straight out for him. I asked him to do it a few times and low and behold it stuck for him too. As far as I was concerned if I couldn't get it out then it was pointless.

After about 18 months of thinking should I or shouldn't I, I've finally gone full frame, I've just purchased a D610 from Hdew, I kept going between Panamoz and Hdew but in the end when with Hdew as they seemed the best option with postage being from the UK and having a 3 year warranty etc.

Order placed today at 21:30 so I'm hoping to have it for next weekend then I can compare it to my D7100.

I now need to sell my DX lenses and body to save for the holy trinity of lenses
14-24mm f/2.8
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 VR

After about 18 months of thinking should I or shouldn't I, I've finally gone full frame, I've just purchased a D610 from Hdew, I kept going between Panamoz and Hdew but in the end when with Hdew as they seemed the best option with postage being from the UK and having a 3 year warranty etc.

Order placed today at 21:30 so I'm hoping to have it for next weekend then I can compare it to my D7100.

I now need to sell my DX lenses and body to save for the holy trinity of lenses
14-24mm f/2.8
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Good for you! I'm deliberating as to whether to purchase this too. Had problems with my D7000 and ended up with a refund from Amazon. Have banked the money and considering my options, this is top of my list:) Perhaps wait until nearer Xmas so OH can make up the shortfall:)

my lad bought a canon 100-400mm L lens from them in may ,it has developed a fault in that it judders on close focus ,he phoned them saturday and was told to forward the lens to a.r johnsons in glasgow for inspection ,and either repair or replacement .as a.r john sons are a authorised canon repair centre we cannot fault HDEWS service at all .i will up date this after its sorted but at the moment i would have no qualms about buying from them .
o.k he has to pay the postage to send it but a trip into the city to return a lens to a retailer and then a trip back to collect it again would cost the same .update after the repair or replacement

Return and collection of goods
Under the DSRs, when a customer cancels a contract but has already received the goods, they are under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods and to return them to you. However, this only means that they have to make them available for collection by you from their premises, following a request from you in writing or on a durable medium available and accessible to the customer.

If you want your customers to return the goods to you and to pay for returns when they cancel a contract under the DSRs, you must include this in your terms and conditions. This information must also be given to the customer as written information (see The information you must provide once the customer has decided to buy under the DSRs).

HDEW terms and conditions clearly state

Refund Policy
If your product develops a fault within seven days we will offer a refund or replacement subject to your choice. After this 7 day window the product would have to be sent to a repair centre for an estimate.
In the unlikely event that you are unhappy with the product when you have received it you are of course able to return it to us within 7days for a full refund. In this case the product must be unused and returned to us with a trackable service, please note we cannot cover the costs of returning an unwanted item. If you do want to return it please contact us to let us know.

so they are covered under the terms set out by the DSR regulations so unfortnately you would not get a refund on shipping costs.

HOWEVER.. furtehr down the DSR terms

Who pays for returning the goods if the customer cancels an order?
If you want the customer to return the goods and to pay for that return, you must make it clear in the contract and as part of the required written information. If you did not include these details in the required written information then you cannot charge anything.

If you have included it and the customer then fails to return the goods, or sends them at your expense, you can charge them the direct cost to you of the return, but can’t deduct this amount from their refund. You are not allowed to make any further charges, such as a restocking charge or an administration charge.

In all circumstances, you will have to pay for the return of

• substitute goods
  • goods that are faulty or do not comply with the contract.
so in case of faulty item then yes they do have to pay and the easiest way around that is for them to arrange a collection of the faulty item

Last edited:
I paid to send off my camera to AJ Johnson as per a warranty claim from HDEW. They paid the return postage. I was happy with their service.

Return and collection of goods
Under the DSRs, when a customer cancels a contract but has already received the goods, they are under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods and to return them to you. However, this only means that they have to make them available for collection by you from their premises, following a request from you in writing or on a durable medium available and accessible to the customer.

If you want your customers to return the goods to you and to pay for returns when they cancel a contract under the DSRs, you must include this in your terms and conditions. This information must also be given to the customer as written information (see The information you must provide once the customer has decided to buy under the DSRs).

HDEW terms and conditions clearly state

Refund Policy
If your product develops a fault within seven days we will offer a refund or replacement subject to your choice. After this 7 day window the product would have to be sent to a repair centre for an estimate.
In the unlikely event that you are unhappy with the product when you have received it you are of course able to return it to us within 7days for a full refund. In this case the product must be unused and returned to us with a trackable service, please note we cannot cover the costs of returning an unwanted item. If you do want to return it please contact us to let us know.

so they are covered under the terms set out by the DSR regulations so unfortnately you would not get a refund on shipping costs.

HOWEVER.. furtehr down the DSR terms

Who pays for returning the goods if the customer cancels an order?
If you want the customer to return the goods and to pay for that return, you must make it clear in the contract and as part of the required written information. If you did not include these details in the required written information then you cannot charge anything.

If you have included it and the customer then fails to return the goods, or sends them at your expense, you can charge them the direct cost to you of the return, but can’t deduct this amount from their refund. You are not allowed to make any further charges, such as a restocking charge or an administration charge.

In all circumstances, you will have to pay for the return of

• substitute goods
  • goods that are faulty or do not comply with the contract.
so in case of faulty item then yes they do have to pay and the easiest way around that is for them to arrange a collection of the faulty item

The DSR were repealed on the 13th of June 2014.

Current statutory rights are now covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 which came into force on the 13th of June.

An explanation of the new Regs is available at http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

From 13 June 2014 the Consumer Contracts Regulations, which implement the Consumer Rights Directive in UK law, come into effect.

The regulations apply to items bought online, at a distance, or away from a trader's premises (for example, at home or at work).

They replace the Distance Selling Regulations and Doorstep Selling Regulations. They also make it an obligation for traders to give consumers certain information.

a few amendments to the better. but stil the key element there
Returning faulty goods
If you receive faulty goods and wish to return them, The Consumer Contracts Regulations are in addition to your other legal rights.

So, if your goods are faulty and don’t do what they're supposed to, or don’t match the description given, you have the same consumer rights under the Sale of Goods Act as you have when buying in store.

Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item wouldn’t apply where the goods being returned are faulty.

so i would contact HDEW and ask them to refund you the cost or returning the faulty item

May I add value to the original question about HDEW Cameras.

I have purchased two Nikon bodies and three Nikon lenses from HDEW. All arrived when promised and when I had an issue with one body (D7100 around 6 months after purchase) the customer services could not be more helpful. When the repair company (A J Johnstone in Glasgow) were delayed by Nikon parts delivery HDEW were quick to send a brand new Nikon D7100 body to replace it.

HDEW are always there (they answer the phone) and contactable within their office hours and always helpful. They call back when they promise. I cannot fault them either on prices or service. To add cream on my cake my Nikon D7100 body came with a 3 year warranty!

I have no association with HDEW other than as a satisfied customer. I will be using them again.

just posted my reply under a new thread .very pleased with them

purchased my d7100 from them last yr with 3yr warranty a delight to deal with
will use them again no problem

I've just placed an order for a D610. From all the positive reviews I've read, I had no hesitation. Fingers crossed all goes well:)

Unfortunately HDEW lost my sale because of their policy to only ship to the card holder address :(. To take time off work to wait in for a delivery or the hassle of locating the depot of a missed delivery makes the cost saving with HDEW vs other retailers negligible for me.

Back