weekly HeartandSoul's 52 in 2016: Another catch up . Weeks 9,10,11, almost caught up

• Thread starter Deleted member 59779
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 59779

Well this will be my third attempt at this. I have every intention of completing the challenge in 2016. The photo's I took in 2015 I thoroughly enjoyed doing and enjoyed commenting on others even if it was to just say I liked it. My knowledge is still not great enough to offer some of the expert knowledge of others on the forum. That is part of the challenge to be inspired from others and take every opportunity to improve. looking forward to getting my creative juices going again.

Week 0 Old
Week 1 Metal
Week 2 Captive
Week 3 Miniature
Week 4 Happy
Week 5 Abandoned
Week 6 Camouflage(d)
Week 7 Danger(ous)
Week 8 Topical
Week 9 Living World
Week 10 Spiky
Week 11 Artificial
Week 12 Personal
Week 13
Week 14
Week 15
Week 16
Week 17
Week 18
Week 19
Week 20
Week 21
Week 22
Week 23
Week 24
Week 25
Week 26
Week 27
Week 28
Week 29
Week 30
Week 31
Week 32
Week 33
Week 34
Week 35
Week 36
Week 37
Week 38
Week 39
Week 40
Week 41
Week 42
Week 43
Week 44
Week 45
Week 46
Week 47
Week 48
Week 49
Week 50
Week 51
Week 52

Last edited by a moderator:
Week): Old

Old interpreted in the picture itself, one of the two bottle kilns at Coalport. Secondly Ive give it an aged effect from LR. Just realised I did not crop the RH side slightly.

Week0: Old on Flickr

Now someone please help. How do I get rid of the TP 52 in 2015 logo:thinking::thinking:

Nicely on theme and I like the processing, a pleasing image, one tiny niggle is the bright white window frame top right

Nicely on theme and I like the processing, a pleasing image, one tiny niggle is the bright white window frame top right

Thank you. I never spotted that they had replaced a frame. Will have to have another look next time I am that way (If I remember)

Lovely evocative shot there Mandy and welcome back to the 52 madhouse.
If I were being truely picky I might suggest cloning out the thin twigs on the top right and down the left hand side (as it's a grey flat sky, so pretty easy to do) but other than that it's spot on.
It's a nice old canal sceen, there is nothing obvious in it that shouts modern day, you've got great reflection in thecanal and there is good use of negative space bottom right.
:clap:

Hi Mandy welcome back, you have mentioned the crop to the right, I would take some off the bottom as well, I like the muted colours and the industrial scene, well spotted

Morning and welcome, a few stray branches on the left and right hand side and it's a pity about the awful sky. With the sky been so naff I'd consider trying to get in closer and exclude much more of it,

Anyway, on theme. Wonderful building.

cheers

Now someone please help. How do I get rid of the TP 52 in 2015 logo:thinking::thinking:
Mouse over your user name ( top right) and click signature, and edit it out.
It was quicker for me to do it than to type this :D

I agree about the twigs, but its a nice image of an interesting old building nonetheless (y)

Hi Mandy - welcome (back?). Nice start up image and bang of theme. Like the sepia effect - suits the image. :clap:

Last edited:
Lovely evocative shot there Mandy and welcome back to the 52 madhouse.
If I were being truely picky I might suggest cloning out the thin twigs on the top right and down the left hand side (as it's a grey flat sky, so pretty easy to do) but other than that it's spot on.
It's a nice old canal sceen, there is nothing obvious in it that shouts modern day, you've got great reflection in thecanal and there is good use of negative space bottom right.
:clap:

Thank out for comments. I actually didn't spot the twigs in the image . Did a lot of sidestepping to avoid the trees without getting my feet wet. Nothing I could do about sky. Not got my computer at the moment or I might clone them out. In the process of moving again. Likely to be a grab shot for me this week.

Hi Mandy welcome back, you have mentioned the crop to the right, I would take some off the bottom as well, I like the muted colours and the industrial scene, well spotted
Thank you. Might try a crop when I have my computer in use again. In the process of moving. I originally did a crop but then removed it as I wanted to save a copy of original image and then never cropped again.:thinking:. I know I was keen not to lose any of the reflection.

Morning and welcome, a few stray branches on the left and right hand side and it's a pity about the awful sky. With the sky been so naff I'd consider trying to get in closer and exclude much more of it,

Anyway, on theme. Wonderful building.

cheers
Thanks for taking time to view and comment. Nothing I could have done with the sky. Just looked at image again may try a bigger crop than I originally going to do (see previous comment) , that will also remove part of the building so not to sure about it hey. Will certainly try after have settled from moving. Branches I missed and am quite cross about that. Funny how you can look at an image and miss things....

Branches I missed and am quite cross about that. Funny how you can look at an image and miss things....

Scott Kelby calls it 'border patrol', before you press the shutter button check the border of the photograph. It's easy to get drawn into what is directly in front of us.

Works for me (y)

Cheers.

Welcome back Mandy

That says Old ... an amazing place, a museum now presumably. And the water reflection makes for a real cosy image.

Old: Lovely image and defiantly fits the theme. I agree about the bright window at the top of the image but looking at the light hitting the right hand side o the kiln it looks like the side lighting was very strong. Lovey the sepia toning you've added, have you thought about a BW version

Oh dear :eek: i seem to have got way behind already. :banghead: i will not bore you all with the details. I will catch up.
Anyway for starters

Week 1: Metal
Week 1: Metal by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Not the best of compositions. Landed here quite late one afternoon. The rain was also coming back and it was cold. Quick few clicks and chose the best of the lot. Wanted to show the environment that the old cast iron sluice gate is in.

Week5: Abandoned

Week 5: Abandoned by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Earlier in the afternoon as Week 1 shot. Oh did I get caught out with the weather. I left both my wooly hat and gloves at home and it was blowing a gale up there. It was not a day to explore the old quarry buildings. Will go back on a milder less blustery day and get some better shots. Ground was very wet and slippy too with all the rain we had been having. Usually meet a few people here. There was only one other person there....... Fits the theme.

Thanks all for comments to date. Still more to catch up with. Seemed to have mislaid my tripod :thinking::thinking::thinking: Will keep the search up for now may need to invest in another. I really need it for a couple of photos I would like to take. Hopefully will catch up with some commenting later as way way behind. I am sure I will be seeing some stunning images as always. Always look forward to see how people interpret the topic.

Hi Mandy ....that's two weeks caught up .....almost there :)

I really like them both ...a good idea to leave some of the surroundings in your Metal shot.

The old quarry does look very bleak so it's perfect for the Abandoned theme ....nice misty low clouds in the distance too.

Last edited:
HI Mandy

Like both of those

Maybe you could take a photo of your tripod and use it for camouflage........

I like both images Mandy. Like the perspective with the sluice gates and the old quarry for Abandoned is very nicely composed with detail retained in the sky. What a wonderful location to spend an afternoon with the camera. :clap:

Both on theme Mandy, that's a really interesting looking old quarry (y)

Hi Mandy,
Loving the shot for metal, clearly javing the weir mechanism as the subject :)
Abandoned is nicely on theme but I bet there is a better shot in there. Having read your commentary though, I don't blame you for not venturing further. One to keep in mind for a re-shoot or another theme perhaps.

Hi Mandy

Metal & Abandoned ... both interesting finds and on theme. I know you had little time & little room to move, but I'm wondering what Metal would have come out like with a lower POV and perhaps a shallower DOF.

(y)

Back