weekly HeartandSoul's 52 in 2016: Another catch up . Weeks 9,10,11, almost caught up

• Thread starter Deleted member 59779
  • Start date
Hi Mandy, I like both 'metal' and 'abandoned' lots of interesting content in both of them.:clap: Liz

Week 2 Captive

SOOC. Felt this fitted the theme well as captive due to being trained with the frame and also captive to the elements of the weather.

Week2: Captive by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Week 3: Miniature

First attempt at Tilt and Shift in Photoshop which I have recently subscribed too. A steep learning curve ahead. Thank god for you tube tutorials :D:eek:.

Week 3: Miniature by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Week 4: Happy (1)

One of two entries for this theme. I was certainly happy to see the red kites. Not something I have tried before birds in flight. A lot to learn. Fortunate I had my big lens in the car.

Week 4: Happy (1) by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Happy (2)

Week 4: Happy (2) by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Week 6: Camouflage

Really thought outside the box for this one. Not a very tidy image and used several kiwis in the making of this. In the end it was a case of PABD

Week6: Camouflage by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Week 7: Danger

Many aspects of danger noted on the sign.

Week 7: Danger by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Thats brings me up to date yeah. Now onwards for topical:thinking:

Well done with the catch up Mandy. Captive is a good idea for the theme. The tilt and shift works really well for miniature and the red kite shots are really good. I really like the camo shot, hope you didn't eat it. They certainly want you to know that building is dangerous, nice reflection of the sky.

Quite a catch up there Mandy. :)

Captive - Very delicate shot. I thought at first they were wound around barbed wire but on closer inspection it isn't.

Miniature - No issue using an older shot if you are re-processing it with a new technique (needing a subject that would fit). Good work with the TS effect. Can I suggest having a further go at it, but instead of using a linear gradient, use the circular one at the base of the monument. This isn't something I've seen in tutorials, but I've found it works with the kind of image you have there.

Happy - Not my thing I'm afraid, but they look fairly sharp. They do appear to have a bit of vignette. Have a look in the lens correction section of either CC or LR, there is will be an automatic option, or if your lens isn't recognised, you can remove it manually.

Camouflage - Nice and sharp with a shallow DoF, fits the theme... What's not to like :clap:

Danger - Spot on theme. Not sure on the tight crop, I would have liked to see a bit more of the building, and I think this one could also do with looking at the lens correction options as you've got a bit of key stoning going on there.

Wow! That is a brilliant catch-up Mandy - so many wonderful takes.
Captive: Excellent thought process to put this forward for the theme - spot on.
Miniature: What a lovely scene for the tilt & shift image and my goodness you've done well with it. I must try my hand at that, looks good.
Happy: Both excellent captures - colour and detail. Slightly prefer #1 because of the wing spread I think.
Camouflage: Nice novel thinking behind the shot - two popular breakfast types in one.
Danger: Lovely clean sharp shot. Love the fanlight and the detail of the sky. Well taken.
:clap:

Hi Mandy, some great catchup shots. I'll comment on what I think are the most stand-out points for me:

Captive - a nice shot, especially SOOC. For me it does lack a bit of oomph though, probably mainly compositional?
Miniature works well with the T&S. Nicely done as others have said. Maybe half a stop more exposure?
Happy is a beauty - #1 for me but moved down towards the bottom right of the frame so it's flying through the frame rather than out of it?
Camouflage - looks like you've made this assembly in real life rather than photoshop, so well done! Nicely done and composition/placement works for me.
Danger - on theme but lacking punch. Maybe the flat nature of the image / subject - I've said that to a few recently, so perhaps it's just me?!

Some great images there and looking forward to Topical!

Good catch-up Mandy (y)

Loving miniature, London Stock Exchange isn't it? Perfect material, T/S works really well. I don't know where you took it from but you were lucky to be there.

Nice catch up Mandy :)
I really like the T&S image and the Kiwi in an egg shell (y)

Quite a catch up there Mandy. :)

Captive - Very delicate shot. I thought at first they were wound around barbed wire but on closer inspection it isn't.

Miniature - No issue using an older shot if you are re-processing it with a new technique (needing a subject that would fit). Good work with the TS effect. Can I suggest having a further go at it, but instead of using a linear gradient, use the circular one at the base of the monument. This isn't something I've seen in tutorials, but I've found it works with the kind of image you have there.

Happy - Not my thing I'm afraid, but they look fairly sharp. They do appear to have a bit of vignette. Have a look in the lens correction section of either CC or LR, there is will be an automatic option, or if your lens isn't recognised, you can remove it manually.

Camouflage - Nice and sharp with a shallow DoF, fits the theme... What's not to like :clap:

Danger - Spot on theme. Not sure on the tight crop, I would have liked to see a bit more of the building, and I think this one could also do with looking at the lens correction options as you've got a bit of key stoning going on there.

Will have a look at the circular gradient for tilt and shift next time I have some time on the computer. Thanks for the advice will definitely bear this in mind.

Will also look at the lens correction as well and see what I can do if anything

What is key stoning please?

Nice catch up Mandy :)
I really like the T&S image and the Kiwi in an egg shell (y)
Had to use a few kiwi's and egg shells to get it to fit in the egg shell with a reasonable fit. Was not as easy as I thought

super catch up Mandy,

Captive - like your thought process for this image, delicately took.

Miniature - works well with the T&S and sharp too.

Happy - I like the first better, more dramatic pose and Red Kites are a thing of beauty.

Camouflage - quality take on the theme, nicely took

Dangerous - nice image, like the reflection of the clouds and sky

Last edited:
Metal - Plenty of metal in there and liking the POV and angles !

Abandoned - liking the contrast and juxtaposition of the rolling landscape and the harsh angular brickwork of the (whats left of the) buildings - nice :)

Captive - good interpretation - that stuff wraps around everything !

Miniature - I think the POV, content and angle are spot on for a very nice first attempt at TS - well done

Happy - Hats off for capturing something moving so well - a lot better than any attempt of mine :) The second one edges it for me purely because of the BG / sky colouring - lovely capture

Camo - Very clever, like it a lot and well executed :D

Danger - nice door attached to those signs ;)

Hi Mandy, wow, good catch up! :D

Captive - A fresh take on the theme, but a bit confusing for the eyes as the bits in focus are mostly hidden behind those black rods.

Miniature - Good tilt shift attempt. I love mini people and buildings. :)

Happy - Ahh, lovely birds in flight. Nicely captured!

Camouflage - Haha, a cute idea, and cute egg cup with legs. :)

Danger - Love the reflections. That’s what I was drawn to first, so probably doesn’t do much for the theme, sorry. :p

Captive - a very busy picture good Idea
Miniature - I really like this picture good use of tilt shift
Happy - lovely pictures well captured
Camouflage - fun idea
Danger - I too like the reflection of the sky in the window

Captive - A good idea for the theme, good use of DOF.
Miniature - Really nice shot, the people around the base add some good interest to the shot. Only slight niggle is that the bottom of the step is chopped of the bottom of the image.
Happy - Love red kites and you have a couple of good shots here.
Camouflage - great idea for the theme, again a good use of a shallow DOF.
Danger - The reflections are great and looks like it would be dangerous to venture inside.

Hi Mandy, it's a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and it's the first time I've visited your thread. I notice you've said that you're determined to finish this year, and so am I, so good luck with your 52 :) Thanks for dropping in to comment on mine, and I'll try to keep up to date in future!

Old - works well from both the subject and the processing.
Metal - I love looking at things like this. Lots of old metal here, especially in those interesting gear wheels.
Abandoned - looks like a great spot and is perfect for the theme. Some really interesting buildings, and the decay and the clearly bleak weather adds to the 'abandoned' feel.
Captive - very apt for this theme and shows a real tangle of leaves and runners.
Miniature - great work! I tried tilt and shift for the first time for this theme too and I liked the effect, but I think your scene is much better suited to the technique. Works really well, especially with the people around the base :clap:
Happy - not something I take many photos of, but they're lovely looking birds. To nit-pick, I suppose the first could be lower in the frame and the second over to the right hand side, but I imagine you didn't exactly have much time to choose :) Lovely colours, with a sense of power and motion, and I think I just prefer the first because of the spread wings.
Camouflage - clever idea :) Well done for having the patience to try this out, and you've ended with a fun image with effective use of DOF.
Danger - spot on for the theme and I really do like the reflections of the sky and clouds in the window; they contrast nicely against the man-made scene.

Well done on your catch up, and I see you're at the same stage as me after my own catch up. I'm just about to post week 8 so keep going and I hope to see you at week 52 :)

super catch up Mandy,

Captive - like your thought process for this image, delicately took.

Miniature - works well with the T&S and sharp too.

Happy - I like the first better, more dramatic pose and Red Kites are a thing of beauty.

Camouflage - quality take on the theme, nicely took

Dangerous - nice image, like the reflection of the clouds and sky
Thank you for popping by and commenting on images. Another sort of catch up just done. Nearly caught up again.

Metal - Plenty of metal in there and liking the POV and angles !

Abandoned - liking the contrast and juxtaposition of the rolling landscape and the harsh angular brickwork of the (whats left of the) buildings - nice :)

Captive - good interpretation - that stuff wraps around everything !

Miniature - I think the POV, content and angle are spot on for a very nice first attempt at TS - well done

Happy - Hats off for capturing something moving so well - a lot better than any attempt of mine :) The second one edges it for me purely because of the BG / sky colouring - lovely capture

Camo - Very clever, like it a lot and well executed :D

Danger - nice door attached to those signs ;)

Thanks for taking time to comment

Abandoned: Rolling countryside and a nice drop.......

Camo: Was not as easy as I first thought. Took quite a few kiwis and eggshells to get something half decent.

Hi Mandy,
Good bit of catchup there...
Living World - Not sure on that one, whilst I can see what you're aiming for, the focal point doesn't jump out at you.
Spiky - Much much better. How on earth did you get that view point? It's brilliant the way you've got those Dandelions against the sky like that and the blue in the sky is delightful. :clap:
Artificial - Okay, it is that. What the is it? I might have tried to re-frame it so it wasn't against the tree like that (but then I wasn't there and have no idea if that would have been possible).

ETA - By the way, your linky doesn't work.

Last edited:
Hi Mandy,
Good bit of catchup there...
Living World - Not sure on that one, whilst I can see what you're aiming for, the focal point doesn't jump out at you.
Spiky - Much much better. How on earth did you get that view point? It's brilliant the way you've got those Dandelions against the sky like that and the blue in the sky is delightful. :clap:
Artificial - Okay, it is that. What the is it? I might have tried to re-frame it so it wasn't against the tree like that (but then I wasn't there and have no idea if that would have been possible).

ETA - By the way, your linky doesn't work.

Thanks for comments . i know the link isn't working thanks. I've tried several ways to fix. Just going to have one last bash at it. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Nice catch up Mandy, I particularly like the PoV on the dandelions (y)

As for your link, I don't know what you did, but somehow you put something pretty obscure in the linky box.
All sorted :)

Nice catch up Mandy, I particularly like the PoV on the dandelions (y)

As for your link, I don't know what you did, but somehow you put something pretty obscure in the linky box.
All sorted :)

Thanks Cobra, Only put in what came up on flickr :thinking::thinking:.

Thanks Cobra, Only put in what came up on flickr :thinking::thinking:.
Not sure why you are trying to copy a thread link from flickr?
If you are linking your thread from the front page to your thread page, you need to double click the the #67 in this case, which gives you

1.jpg

Write LINKY in the reply box (with your image) left click drag to highlight the word then

2.jpg

Last edited:
Those sculptures look amazing Mandy - where are they? I especially love the dandelion clocks against the blue sky - that was a great angle to shoot from. It's a pity the tree is behind the snowdrop, it cuts up its outline a bit - but what a lovely thing!

Hi Mandy... I really like your spiky shot. I think it's a fabulous POV and the sky is absolutely perfect. The only thing I'd say (and I'm in danger of becoming a broken record on this subject now!) is it could do with a fairly hefty exposure lift. The clouds could go a lot whiter and by keeping the black point more or less where it is, you'd end up with a super contrasty image which would really accentuate the edges as you have nailed focus perfectly.

I reckon with that one tiny (and easy) change you could have an absolutely stellar shot! :clap:

Wow! Living World and Spiky are just fabulous Mandy. Love the contrast between living and dead in the first amd as for the dandelion seeds - inspired POV showing the seeds against that lovely blue sky. Wonderful stuff. :clap:

Those sculptures look amazing Mandy - where are they? I especially love the dandelion clocks against the blue sky - that was a great angle to shoot from. It's a pity the tree is behind the snowdrop, it cuts up its outline a bit - but what a lovely thing!

Thank you Emma,

They are at tenth gardens in the potteries. They also have loads of fairy ones around the estate as well. Was blessed with the weather yesterday. The dandelion ones are new though. Definitely not seen them there before.
I agree about the tree.

Hi Mandy... I really like your spiky shot. I think it's a fabulous POV and the sky is absolutely perfect. The only thing I'd say (and I'm in danger of becoming a broken record on this subject now!) is it could do with a fairly hefty exposure lift. The clouds could go a lot whiter and by keeping the black point more or less where it is, you'd end up with a super contrasty image which would really accentuate the edges as you have nailed focus perfectly.

I reckon with that one tiny (and easy) change you could have an absolutely stellar shot! :clap:

Just had a quick play in LR and you are right :D. I've made a note of the changes I want to make. Normally if I save from LR my picture disappears. Probably user error. I will look to save and post at weekend when i have he time to play more.

Oh wow - you're in Stoke?!! My hometown :D ! It has been a few years since I was at Trentham Gardens (I guess that's where you meant) - although I've been to the Monkey Forest a few times. I've lived in Sussex for about 20 years now, but travel up to see family in Stoke a few times a year and to stock up on oatcakes :)

Last edited:
Back