HelenC's 52 for 2021 - Week 52: Showcase - critique welcome

A curious sculpture that definitely meets the brief! It looks very tall. Very tricky given the weather, but you can tick the box :)

I love your Northumberland shot - fascinating viewpoint and the B&W works really well. I felt the same about rainbows when I went to Ireland - they seemed a daily occurrence!

Last edited:
Wow, it's certainly......different! :)
Is there any backstory to it?
Weather's been pretty mixed here too. Oh for those bright sunny days of summer!

@SimonH no real backstory - it's called Yoxman (as it's in a village called Yoxford) but no historical or mythical reason that I can find. At least it was commissioned from a local artist and made locally.

How tall is it? It does look a bit grim. can't say I'm a fan, I prefer Bovril to Marmite.
@ShinySideUp It's 26ft tall and you're right, it's quite grim!
Good subject but could do with some sort of separation from the background - larger aperture/longer lens/different viewpoint ??
Thanks @ncf15 I totally agree. It was a "snap" from the roadside with limited access and, I have to say, I wasn't really in the mood for fiddling around with settings as I wasn't particularly enthused with the subject.
As ncf15 says, money wasted.

Pete
A curious sculpture that definitely meets the brief! It looks very tall. Very tricky given the weather, but you can tick the box :)

I love your Northumberland shot - fascinating viewpoint and the B&W works really well. I felt the same about rainbows when I went to Ireland - they seemed a daily occurrence!
Thanks for commenting.

Quick limited catch up. Given my still painful rib injury I had a wander down to my local church (again...). This stone appeared a short while ago and attracted much comment. No one seems to know who he was but I suspect he probably knew a thing or two about Living!

PW6A7940 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Interesting gravestone and some really nice muted colours in the flower display, hope you are feeling better soon

Sorry to hear about your rib. Speedy recovery!

JRG sounds like quite a character! Perfect for the theme, as are the flowers - nicely captured.

Living: I love the texture of the gravestone, it looks like grain on a B&W film. It certainly fits the theme but that flower head right over the date!?

Still life: Nice detail in the stone urn and I like the apparent mistiness of the leaves against the light in the top left is a nice effect.

Ouch!
Gravestone is interesting for the caption, but agree with Martin re the flowerhead over the date.
Still life is nicely captured with nice muted tones.

Really like how you filled the frame with those flowers Helen, and the muted colours are beautiful. The OCD in me wants to level up that plate at the bottom but that's a really minor thing...

Really like how you filled the frame with those flowers Helen
Strangely, the first thing that struck me was a real wish that the flowers had a little "breathing room" around all sides - though obviously not being there, it's difficult to know how practical or otherwise that is - not as if it's an arrangement at home you can build and tweak as required, after all...

and the muted colours are beautiful.
This on the other hand I'm with you 100% on...

Wishing you a speedy recovery Helen. Like the headstone in mono as it just brings out the texture nicely, the still life shot is very nice and colourful got to love church flowers.
Interesting gravestone and some really nice muted colours in the flower display, hope you are feeling better soon
Sorry to hear about your rib. Speedy recovery!

JRG sounds like quite a character! Perfect for the theme, as are the flowers - nicely captured.
Living: I love the texture of the gravestone, it looks like grain on a B&W film. It certainly fits the theme but that flower head right over the date!?

Still life: Nice detail in the stone urn and I like the apparent mistiness of the leaves against the light in the top left is a nice effect.
Ouch!
Gravestone is interesting for the caption, but agree with Martin re the flowerhead over the date.
Still life is nicely captured with nice muted tones.
Really like how you filled the frame with those flowers Helen, and the muted colours are beautiful. The OCD in me wants to level up that plate at the bottom but that's a really minor thing...
Strangely, the first thing that struck me was a real wish that the flowers had a little "breathing room" around all sides - though obviously not being there, it's difficult to know how practical or otherwise that is - not as if it's an arrangement at home you can build and tweak as required, after all...

This on the other hand I'm with you 100% on...
Thanks for the good wishes and the feedback.

Lagging a little behind this week and not feeling particularly inspired with the camera due to discomfort and the dull grey dark days. I popped to one of my favourite locations at Sizewell where these huge cooling towers look decidedly minuscule against the huge Suffolk sky. The light wasn't exactly playing ball so I found one that looked a little more interesting to take care of the tech!

PW6A7977-Edit by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great sky and certainly shot definitely can be tied to the theme. I like it a lot.

Beautiful image Helen. Love the colours and the minimalist feel.

Beautiful image and you would never know it was a composite. Would love that on the wall as it is so restful.

That is a very cool shot for the theme Helen, you have just given me an idea to get my tech done and dusted with my snappers choice on the sky.
That is a lovely sky. The structure looks almost Athenian and certainly minuscule in the landscape.
Great sky and certainly shot definitely can be tied to the theme. I like it a lot.
Beautiful image and you would never know it was a composite. Would love that on the wall as it is so restful.
Thanks for the kind comments folks. I can't take credit for much - first time (and probably the last) that I have used the Replace Sky option in PS ;)

Yep - that's the season all right!

Yep. Feels like it hasn’t stopped in S Wales for weeks……

Yep, that's exactly what the season has felt like here this week.

Another non-Christmas one, but still bang on theme. The B&W treatment suits the image perfectly. Thanks for all your comments on my thread this year Helen. I never managed to be quite as on top of things...

Have a great New Year.

I have looked at your image many times over the past day. I think I have finally put my finger in how it makes me feel - it makes me feel uneasy. I hope you don't take offence at this, I do not intend any at all. If this is what you wanted to achieve, I lift my hat to you; it's very, very clever. If it is unintentional, it's still very powerful.

The compositional elements that seem to induce this feeling of unease are, I think:
The pin sharp raindrops in the top right pane, but varying degrees of out of focus drops in the other panes, seemingly almost at random
The frames left and right but not top and bottom
The use of monochrome

Very clever!

I really like that Sizewell image lots or rules broken but who cares :)

Seasonal, yep, that was the same here, its been raining for a week, but its actually taken a breather today

Nice idea, just what Xmas feels like at the moment
Very seasonal indeed (y)
Yep. Feels like it hasn’t stopped in S Wales for weeks……
Yep - that's the season all right!
Yep, that's exactly what the season has felt like here this week.
Another non-Christmas one, but still bang on theme. The B&W treatment suits the image perfectly. Thanks for all your comments on my thread this year Helen. I never managed to be quite as on top of things...

Have a great New Year.
I have looked at your image many times over the past day. I think I have finally put my finger in how it makes me feel - it makes me feel uneasy. I hope you don't take offence at this, I do not intend any at all. If this is what you wanted to achieve, I lift my hat to you; it's very, very clever. If it is unintentional, it's still very powerful.

The compositional elements that seem to induce this feeling of unease are, I think:
The pin sharp raindrops in the top right pane, but varying degrees of out of focus drops in the other panes, seemingly almost at random
The frames left and right but not top and bottom
The use of monochrome

Very clever!
@Boots thanks for your comments. It's really interesting to hear of your reaction to the image - you never think of how people will feel about it on a purely emotionally level. Nothing intended when I took it but I did use a LR infrared filter which created an unusual mono finish. Perhaps that's what caused the unease?? Very interesting and thanks again.

I really like that Sizewell image lots or rules broken but who cares :)

Seasonal, yep, that was the same here, its been raining for a week, but its actually taken a breather today
Perfect for the theme. Suitably grey and wet.
Seasonal, It's like that here too.

Pete.
Thanks folks. Looks like we've all been suffering with the same so I hope the sun is shining on you as it has been here for the last couple of days. A nice start to 2022!

It's really hard to pick a single favourite shot, especially when I have been less than impressed with my photographic output this year. It has seemed to be a struggle to find motivation at times. I'm hoping 2022 will see a vast improvement!
This was my chosen shot for a Christmas card this year and has fond memories of the sun coming out after heavy snowfall and then being caught only a mile or so from home in a blizzard but close to one of my favourite local trees. I also started the 52 this year with a shot of the same tree so am closing the circle :)

086A3892 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Last edited:
A great way to "close the circle" and finish a project Helen. Have enjoyed your thread this year, and well done for finishing. Onwards & upwards eh? :)

Circle nicely closed :)

That is a really lovely shot and I do remember seeing the tree before. A perfect way to end, and I think you have shared some very lovely shots throughout the 52.

I have felt exactly the same about my photography this year. Let's hope 2022 proves to be a better one.
Wishing you all the best.

Very nice Helen, and a great subject for a Christmas card :)

Definitely the stuff of Christmas cards. Well done on finishing the 52.

Well done Helen. A lovely shot. Just as an aside, I discovered glitter in an aerosol tin which I used on my Christmas cards this year (Robin on holly swag) and it really added a touch of sparkle to them. Would have worked well with your tree if you are a glitter person! About Half a tin did 50 cards.

Nicely done!
I always wanted to get a nice short for a Christmas card, but have failed miserable on each occasion. Maybe this year!

Back