Hmm, time to dump flickr and finally build my own website?

I bought a google Pixel XL grade D the other day for £50 from appliances direct, looks like a demo unit,body perfect but has a little screen burn, still nice though, the beauty of these is they have free unlimited photo storage, ive already uploaded a few of my flickr albums. The photos upload a lot faster than flickr as well.

Of course, if the phone dies etc....

I already have a Pixel 2, but that's limited to 2020.

One of the big selling points about any Pixel phone to date has been the fact that unlimited Google Photos storage is included with each device. Being able to back up every photo at full-resolution, even including 4K video is no small offer, and Google isn’t shy about advertising it. The original Pixel devices were launched with the promise of unlimited backup forever, meaning as long as the phone works, the backups work.

36809850.jpg

36809850.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a google Pixel XL grade D the other day for £50 from appliances direct, looks like a demo unit,body perfect but has a little screen burn, still nice though, the beauty of these is they have free unlimited photo storage, ive already uploaded a few of my flickr albums. The photos upload a lot faster than flickr as well.

Of course, if the phone dies etc....

I already have a Pixel 2, but that's limited to 2020.

One of the big selling points about any Pixel phone to date has been the fact that unlimited Google Photos storage is included with each device. Being able to back up every photo at full-resolution, even including 4K video is no small offer, and Google isn’t shy about advertising it. The original Pixel devices were launched with the promise of unlimited backup forever, meaning as long as the phone works, the backups work.

36809850.jpg

36809850.jpg

I just got an upgrade but to Huawei P20, and I have Google Photos on it.

It's unlimited at compressed quality, which works out at 12 megapixels per image. The compression is very good though, the photos are top quality even after compression. I wouldn't use it as your only backup though.

Yeah I'm pretty annoyed by the price doubling so I've closed my pro account. The basic one will do for linking images to forums.

Loving the new flickr.

I've been on flickr since 2007, and it's my only platform for photo sharing. The key is, I only have 301 photos on it. And this is 2007-2019. Personally, I tend to use Flickr as as a trace of my photographic history. I like to see how my photography evolved (if at all) and only share what I deem to be the very best of what I shoot (pretty poor work by any standard, but still).

I don't think I'll ever update to pro, it'll take a long time before I find I've taken 1000 really good pictures that I feel are worth sharing.

To me, the curtailing of the accounts containing 1000+ photos is welcome news - not because I particularly care about how other people use their flickr account; but because I find that a surprisingly high number of these 5k-13k+ picture count flickr users tend to share their shots in the flickr groups.

Flickr groups are great, but many are dying as a consequence of this behaviour. Nobody wants to see their own photos in the group, say, 'analogue 6x6 black and white architecture' pushed down by a sequence of semi-identical shots of HDR hotel lights in Arizona or 25 out of focus digital shots of your cat.

So well done flickr. Hopefully flickr groups will spring to life again.

Last edited:
It would be nice if the new Flickr was broken a bit less often - I seem to see the panda a lot more than previously.
Unless they sort this PDQ they are not doing themselves any favours are they?

It would be nice if the new Flickr was broken a bit less often - I seem to see the panda a lot more than previously.

Most - but not all- posts with flickr content no longer show the images. I just wonder if they are in the process of pulling the plug?

Most - but not all- posts with flickr content no longer show the images. I just wonder if they are in the process of pulling the plug?

Nope
My recent Flickr links no longer show (probably all of them but I haven't checked).
1 They're new images to Flickr, not old ones
2 I have way less than 1000 images on Flickr
Just another bad panda day I think...............

Nope
My recent Flickr links no longer show (probably all of them but I haven't checked).
1 They're new images to Flickr, not old ones
2 I have way less than 1000 images on Flickr
Just another bad panda day I think...............

should one delete some of the junk to get well under the 1000 amateur level
mine are coming up red X's and i still have 150 photos to go?????
cheers
geof

I have a new pro account and my photos haven't been loading for several tries here. Also using the site recently I've had lots of 'pandas' and a few gateway issues.

I have a new pro account and my photos haven't been loading for several tries here. Also using the site recently I've had lots of 'pandas' and a few gateway issues.
the forum uploader works ???

Attachments

• a ANA.jpg
    a ANA.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I think he got up a few peoples noses. He was on my block list for a long while before being banned.
He was banned because he pulled all his images in a paddy, not because he got up a few peoples noses. If you could get banned for that, there'd be few people left on here.

The big advantage with Flickr and this forum at the moment is the ease of generating a BB code - but can see when lots of folks hit the 1000 limit there will be lots of broken links on this forum which is a shame. Just tried to cobble together the BB code that would be needed to post a 1024 max dimension photo from Google Photos - not easy and not sure if it will work. Perhaps somone could take a look at my test post and let me know - https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/test-for-posting-from-google-photos.690887/

do you remember the french chap...is he still around?

Did you mean KodiakQC/Daniel? He was Canadian (and what passed for French there. ;) ).

He just said what he thought, and assumed everyone was grown up enough to cope with it - unfortunate since he thought with non-English sensibilities and understanding. I don't think he ever really understood why people were offended, since he never intended any harm, often failing to see the line behind him that he'd crossed. I liked him, but understand why some did not.

Did you mean KodiakQC/Daniel? He was Canadian (and what passed for French there. ;) ).

He just said what he thought, and assumed everyone was grown up enough to cope with it - unfortunate since he thought with non-English sensibilities and understanding. I don't think he ever really understood why people were offended, since he never intended any harm, often failing to see the line behind him that he'd crossed. I liked him, but understand why some did not.
Yeah, I liked him too, always trying to help and encourage. I could see from some of his posts though, why some might be rankled by him, but I always put that down to his, as you so beautifully put it, non-english sensibilities.

He was banned because he pulled all his images in a paddy,
Yes, that was the final straw. Previous to that was also contacting people privately, via PM and eventually skype, to help them.
After awhile he would send them payment details of how to pay using PP etc. to continue / finish his "Tuition" Almost to the point of harassment.
He was warned about it, denied it, when asked directly.
Although by this time,"we" already had the proof.

Previous to that there had also been a few misdemeanors, where he was again contacted privately, and asked to refrain,
giving him the benefit of the doubt, rather than a short holiday due to the language "barrier" which he always claimed in defence.
But reading many of his posts, there was nothing wrong with his English, He even started a thread about the anomalies of the English language.
"We" Also suspected that there was more than one person posting on that account, but couldn't totally prove it, save the different posting styles, they were a bit of a hint.

Yes, that was the final straw. Previous to that was also contacting people privately, via PM and eventually skype, to help them.
After awhile he would send them payment details of how to pay using PP etc. to continue / finish his "Tuition" Almost to the point of harassment.
He was warned about it, denied it, when asked directly.
Although by this time,"we" already had the proof.

Previous to that there had also been a few misdemeanors, where he was again contacted privately, and asked to refrain,
giving him the benefit of the doubt, rather than a short holiday due to the language "barrier" which he always claimed in defence.
But reading many of his posts, there was nothing wrong with his English, He even started a thread about the anomalies of the English language.
"We" Also suspected that there was more than one person posting on that account, but couldn't totally prove it, save the different posting styles, they were a bit of a hint.

That's shocking really. The lengths some people will go to......... Personally I felt that his advice on post-processing led to rather crude result; as in "push everything to the max....because you can......"

It's funny when previously frequent and often really useful posters just go awol.; you wonder what might have happened to them.

Personally I felt that his advice on post-processing led to rather crude result; as in "push everything to the max....because you can......"
It was a few weeks before I figured out that the swans is Austria (was it?) weren't actually a blue sub-species of our natives ;)

It was a few weeks before I figured out that the swans is Austria (was it?) weren't actually a blue sub-species of our natives ;)

Haha....! Exactly that sort of thing.

Now I come to think about it I do seem to remember him offering me his advice via PM on one occasion, which I declined.......

Anyone else having problems with the Flickr mobile app?

I quite often get a pop up about it crashing even though I'm not actually not using that app, but another one at the time.

I'm fairly sure it's only happened since these changes came into effect.

Flickr working fine here (continental Europe) at the moment via browser on desktop/mobile.

For those of you using flickr as a backup service, and wanting to download a dump of their photos, this might be of help

https://github.com/marchaos/flickr_retriever

A script to download over 100Gb from Flickr in just over 4 hours. The script has support for resuming download after interruption, and preserves the metadata.

Disclaimer: haven't tested it myself.

I use Flickre as a cloud service so when I have photo's I want to save or I lose, I can go there. 500px is ok, but it won't let you download the image again if it gets lost. it's a shame about Flickre as a lot of photographic groups use them including our camera club. I couldn't afford the fee or a website of my own yet (althrough I have weebly the image will be reduced).

Also I suspect the monthly fee on Flickre will slowly creep up. So Imgur isn't very good?

As a thought are there any plans to update the image loader on TP as we have a new forum. Another forum that I frequent allows you to upload 2 images per post regardless of size, it then converts it to 1600. It also allows control over any sharpening that is applied as a result of this. I know for my own purposes the only reason that I have Flickr is to share photos on forums. For backups I have adobe cloud, backblaze and Photos for final jpegs

Back