Holryn's Photo 52 - Part 2 - Weeks 48, 49 & 50 added.

I love the dark moody feel to the urban shot, it works well disappearing into the distance and the lighter part of the picture. lol, i have just seen the lighter edit, and now im not sure which i like.

Train, both images are good, The train is a classic shot using that angle and the little dog is cute. My dog gives up after a few throws unless there is a continuous supply of treats.

I like both train photographs Paul. The first as Chris said is a classic train image, I would like to have seen just a wee bit more of the train around the bend just to add a bit of depth.
Your dog portrait is lovely, I particularly like the catch lights in the eyes. It gives your pooch a cheeky look that is very appealing. This would be worth printing IMHO. Iain

I'm not keen on the first train image - not enough train and too much on the left hand side that isn't drawing the eye.

The second image is great - lovely image of an alert dog. The colour of his coat contrasts nicely with the grass and I like the composition.

Phil

I quite like the first train shot, but I think it would have worked better if you'd caught it on a sharper bend with more of the rear end curving round into view.

The second is absolutely gorgeous. What a beautiful boy :love:
It's nice to see a different interpretation of train too. Perhaps it could have been improved with slightly different framing as suggested by Jenny, but I think you've managed to pull it off as it is. One worth printing for his owners when they're back I think.

Nice of your friend to lend you the lens... make good use of it!

ps, the dog looks a proper character! (y)

The train is a good shot except I think it would have been better if there was more train in it. You either needed to lean more out of the window( not recommended) or wait for a sharper bend.

The dog photo is excellent and I'm sure his owners would like a copy.

Both fit the theme

Last edited:
As the others say the 1st shot would have been even better with a sharper curve on the line, but that is hardly your fault! It has a charming, slightly old-fashioned feel about it. (It's years since I have been on a train which had windows that you could actually open.)

The second one is gorgeous - you have caught a great pose and expression and I'm sure the owners will love it.

Both are very good Paul, the first is a subtle interpretation, yet a classic looking image. The second, looks like trouble to me ;)... lovely... agree about the framing, perhaps losing a little from the bottom and adding a bit to the top.

confused.com - I could have sworn I have commented on these???? I must stop talking to myself! oh well...

CONSOLE: groan, at the link but WOW at the shot, great image!

DISTANT: nice, great hues and depth to this image

SECRET: not feeling this one sorry, one the second box the flare is distracting (i think)

URBAN:edited version, nice - i dont know why but i imagine Jack the Ripper!?!

TRAIN: interested shots, both have areas i like and dont - draw!

great collection keep it up :)

Hi Paul, I'm in catch-up mode. I love your second urban shot. I think it is much better lighter. Fits the theme really well, even if it is not grimy (which is the first thing that springs to mind).

Train - I like the first shot, especially the composition and the colours. Although obviously a train, it is a fairly subtle rendition of a train. I like the angle. (y)

Second shot - what a cute little dog. He has that look on his face which says there is no way he is going to listen to you. I would have preferred a little bit more grass above and less below. Love the catchlights in his eyes.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny. The dog looks cute but I wont even mention what he did the first time he stayed :puke:

What a cute dog. He does look full of mischief and a bit of a handfull to train.

I like the curve in the first image with the platform matching the curve of the train.

Thanks JL

I love the dark moody feel to the urban shot, it works well disappearing into the distance and the lighter part of the picture. lol, i have just seen the lighter edit, and now im not sure which i like.

Train, both images are good, The train is a classic shot using that angle and the little dog is cute. My dog gives up after a few throws unless there is a continuous supply of treats.

Cheers Chris. I think the dog is untrainable - he just thinks it's playtime. :)

I like both train photographs Paul. The first as Chris said is a classic train image, I would like to have seen just a wee bit more of the train around the bend just to add a bit of depth.
Your dog portrait is lovely, I particularly like the catch lights in the eyes. It gives your pooch a cheeky look that is very appealing. This would be worth printing IMHO. Iain

Thanks Iain. I'll see if the owner would like to get a print done :p

I'm not keen on the first train image - not enough train and too much on the left hand side that isn't drawing the eye.

The second image is great - lovely image of an alert dog. The colour of his coat contrasts nicely with the grass and I like the composition.

Phil

I quite like the first train shot, but I think it would have worked better if you'd caught it on a sharper bend with more of the rear end curving round into view.

The second is absolutely gorgeous. What a beautiful boy :love:
It's nice to see a different interpretation of train too. Perhaps it could have been improved with slightly different framing as suggested by Jenny, but I think you've managed to pull it off as it is. One worth printing for his owners when they're back I think.

Thanks Phil and Sarah.

I agree that there is not enough of the train in the first shot. I was probably a bit too chicken to stick my head (and camera) out as it went along, so this was shot whilst it was in the station.

Nice of your friend to lend you the lens... make good use of it!

ps, the dog looks a proper character! (y)

Cheers Chris,

Well, when I say friend.......:D

I would be nice to use it a little more, but since I 'borrowed' it the weather has been pretty dreadful and I don't want to get it wet.

Hope the recovery is going well, mate.

The train is a good shot except I think it would have been better if there was more train in it. You either needed to lean more out of the window( not recommended) or wait for a sharper bend.

The dog photo is excellent and I'm sure his owners would like a copy.

Both fit the theme

Thanks Sue.

As the others say the 1st shot would have been even better with a sharper curve on the line, but that is hardly your fault! It has a charming, slightly old-fashioned feel about it. (It's years since I have been on a train which had windows that you could actually open.)

The second one is gorgeous - you have caught a great pose and expression and I'm sure the owners will love it.

Thanks Tracer. The line this was taken on was the Kent and East Sussex Railway - a little too far from your neck of the woods I would suspect.

Both are very good Paul, the first is a subtle interpretation, yet a classic looking image. The second, looks like trouble to me ;)... lovely... agree about the framing, perhaps losing a little from the bottom and adding a bit to the top.

Thanks John. The dog was more than a little trouble (mostly).

confused.com - I could have sworn I have commented on these???? I must stop talking to myself! oh well...

CONSOLE: groan, at the link but WOW at the shot, great image!

DISTANT: nice, great hues and depth to this image

SECRET: not feeling this one sorry, one the second box the flare is distracting (i think)

URBAN:edited version, nice - i dont know why but i imagine Jack the Ripper!?!

TRAIN: interested shots, both have areas i like and dont - draw!

great collection keep it up :)

Thanks for the catch up Dade - I keep thinking I've commented on threads but keep finding I haven't - think it's my age ;)

Cheers Chris,

Well, when I say friend.......:D

I would be nice to use it a little more, but since I 'borrowed' it the weather has been pretty dreadful and I don't want to get it wet.

Hope the recovery is going well, mate.

Keep it for a while yet, I cant even hold the camera :(

Last edited:
Bit of a cop out. I tried hard not to do this shot and do something else, but I couldn't get inspired :shake:

A little more inspired for this shot though. Not convinced with the lighting as I don't have an off camera flash yet. So lit this with a combination of my mobile phone and the monitor. It was a little tricky trying to compose the shot and keep my hand in focus.

As always, comments, suggestions and tips greatly appreciated.

I like the idea and the execution of this shot. Black and white suits the image well.

I think it could be improved by making the wrist come out of the bottom left of the shot and adding negative space to the rhs. The lighting is mostly fine, but with a little more shadow detail on the thumb it would be spot-on.

Phil

I like the idea and the execution of this shot. Black and white suits the image well.

I think it could be improved by making the wrist come out of the bottom left of the shot and adding negative space to the rhs. The lighting is mostly fine, but with a little more shadow detail on the thumb it would be spot-on.

Phil

Phil's beaten me to it with Faith.
That's more or less what I would have said. But well done on getting such a clear shot of your own hand - I know how difficult that is.

And nothing much wrong with share either. A difficult theme and I don't see this as a cop out at all. Well composed, well lit I actually really like it.

good idea for Faith, I think I would liked to be able to see rest of the thumb and forefinger.

Thanks JL.

Phil

Thanks for the advice Phil. I will certainly have a play with the framing. I may retake the shot as well when I have a little more time to sort out the
lighting.

Phil's beaten me to it with Faith.
That's more or less what I would have said. But well done on getting such a clear shot of your own hand - I know how difficult that is.

And nothing much wrong with share either. A difficult theme and I don't see this as a cop out at all. Well composed, well lit I actually really like it.

Thanks Sarah. I'm going to try some tethered shooting to see if I can get the focus just right.

Share, it certainly fits the theme Paul... the glasses and the pen do lift it..

Faith, great idea, and it is tricky isn't it. I think it's come out well, although it could do with just a little more light on it to bring out your fingers and thumb.

Distortion, it works well, and is bang on for the theme. I think I agree with Sue, and that removing the tube to the right would help.

Thats a good distortion photo Paul. I think maybe the items on the right of the picture compete a bit for attention with the lamp but its still effective and bang on theme.

Thanks Sue.

Share, it certainly fits the theme Paul... the glasses and the pen do lift it..

Faith, great idea, and it is tricky isn't it. I think it's come out well, although it could do with just a little more light on it to bring out your fingers and thumb.

Distortion, it works well, and is bang on for the theme. I think I agree with Sue, and that removing the tube to the right would help.

Thanks John.

With Sue and Johns comments in mind I had a little play and cloned out the items on the right:

And I have to agree it does look better.

Yep, very much so. Nice edit Paul.

That's a really good shot for the theme, Paul. I like the soft colours and the composition (now it's been edited) is really strong.

I can't decide whether I'd crop out the mysterious dark area on the left - it adds interest, but also potentially adds a distraction.

Phil

Yep, very much so. Nice edit Paul.

Thanks John.

That's a really good shot for the theme, Paul. I like the soft colours and the composition (now it's been edited) is really strong.

I can't decide whether I'd crop out the mysterious dark area on the left - it adds interest, but also potentially adds a distraction.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I did think about cropping out the dark area, but decided to leave it in.

Cracking shot Paul, its an interesting distortion and well framed. The quality part for me is the lighting, you have captured some lovely colours here and it gives a warm feel to it.

Thanks Chris. The lighting was just the lamp itself.

Sorry Paul - got a little behind with your entries.

Share: this might have been a cop out but you have arranged all the elements and lit them beautifully, so it works very well (y).

Faith: Excellent concept - just looks a little dark on my monitor and I agree with Phil and Sarah about lighting. It works really well for the theme.

Distortion: I really like the soft colours and clean composition of the edited version. I like the darker left side, too; it seems to make it more mysterious/dramatic.

:clap:

Sorry Paul - got a little behind with your entries.

Share: this might have been a cop out but you have arranged all the elements and lit them beautifully, so it works very well (y).

Faith: Excellent concept - just looks a little dark on my monitor and I agree with Phil and Sarah about lighting. It works really well for the theme.

Distortion: I really like the soft colours and clean composition of the edited version. I like the darker left side, too; it seems to make it more mysterious/dramatic.

:clap:

Thanks for the comments Tracer.

Been rather busy again of late, but have finally managed a catchup again:

This was created with the help of my daughter:

Decided to go with this shot of a Tiger Moth. I love the simplicity. The sky obviously leads us out to space but I also wanted to use an image with negative space in it.

Knew immediately that a macro shot would be in order for Close. Went for a minimalist feel as well following on from the negative space of last weeks theme.

Lead, Great idea, I did think of something similar, but could I find anything that would let me do this ... Good composition and well lit

Space, I like it, very simple, yet fulfils the theme on several fronts

Close, I had the same idea ;)... The softness of the background really fits nicely with the feel of the shot.

DISTORTION: your edited version is great, really works well ;)
LEAD: great idea, nice use of angles, maybe a bit of added grain would work too?
SPACE: nice and simple works well - I might be tempted to take an inch of the bottom
CLOSE: very nice a great soft image and quite abstract

well done :)

Hi Paul, you're actually well ahead this week.

Lead: I did not think of this interpretation. I like the way you have done it with the curvy shavings. It adds interest (y)

Space: That's an interesting interpretation and I like the simplicity, but I agree with Dade, I would have trimmed a little bit off the bottom.

Close: I really like this one (y) I especially like the composition and the minimalist feel, but I would have been interested to see a colour version, too.

Jenny

Back