How much is your weekly shop?

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
A few years back our weekly shop for three people was usually £30-£40 but of course it'd vary from week to week as we ran out of and bought different things.

These days prices are only going one way and some things have gone up 100% so the cost of the shopping has risen quite a bit. Last week I was chatting to the checkout lady and she said "You're lucky if you spend less than £100 these days" and on that day I spend £72 and change which was the most I'd ever spent in ASDA and the next day I spend another £20 at another shop buying stuff ASDA didn't have and the day after that I spent another £5 to complete the shopping list, so I probably just scraped in under £100.

Today I spend £99 plus change in ASDA.

Over the years I've slowly replaced most of the famous name branded products with lesser names or shop branded ones but even the shop branded stuff is going up with some even doubling in price in less than a year.

Oh and if our idiot politicians (of either party) do put fuel up 12p ltr I wonder if they're realised that the price of everything delivered by truck will also increase, yet more. Probably not.

How much are you spending?

As much as necessary. Usually around 60-70 quid on the main shop with extras as and when needed. We do have 2 or 3 lunches out every week, as well as at least one evening meal.

As much as necessary. Usually around 60-70 quid on the main shop with extras as and when needed. We do have 2 or 3 lunches out every week, as well as at least one evening meal.

About the same as us then.

Ah. I forgot eating out. We have a take away on a Saturday but it's only £10-£12 which is very cheap and other than that we had fish and chips out on Thursday and it was £21 and change for three of us and that is cheap. Me and Mrs don't eat out much at all, we'd like to eat out once a week but caring duties mean it's very difficult.

I'm feeling guilty and indulgent. Usually about £50-75 weekly in Waitrose, about £25 on milk and juices from the milkman (glass bottles), £20 at the butcher, £16 -20for the organic veg delivery. Plus odds and ends like fresh bread from an artisan baker etc, so I tend to budget monthly for £500-600 depending on how organised we are.

No idea because we bulk buy a lot of stuff and keep a well stocked pantry and freezer.

What we spend at a supermarket is very little. But maybe twice a year we spend a couple of hundred on a meat shop.

But things like flour, rice, tinned tomatoes, lentils, beans we buy by the 15+kg it saves so much money.

I reckon around £100-£120 per week, depending on whether there's alcohol and other extras - spent £8 on socks today - or not.

I'm feeling guilty and indulgent. Usually about £50-75 weekly in Waitrose, about £25 on milk and juices from the milkman (glass bottles), £20 at the butcher, £16 -20for the organic veg delivery. Plus odds and ends like fresh bread from an artisan baker etc, so I tend to budget monthly for £500-600 depending on how organised we are.

No need to feel guilty! One of our justifications for eating out a few times every week is that we try to do so at local, family run places rather than chains (the exception being once a week at a chain because it's the easiest place to get to that's still open at 21:00.

It's hard to put a figure on the weekly shop because there are weeks when we spend much more because long self life things we normally use are on special offer so we might buy a couple of months' supply and if 2 or more products' cycles have synched, a shop can be well over the ton! One thing that keeps our bill down is that we barely drink alcohol in the UK - we're on semi-call for the MiL so need to have at least 1 driver fit to drive and since we've both spent a significant period working in the licensed trade, we can't really be that bothered with drinking these days! We use our allowance while on holiday...

£140+ easy for four, but she does the shopping and there's a fair amount of crap that can, should... will be cut. The healthy stuff is expensive though, fish etc

i would say food for the two of us probably about £50 a week but at the weekend going out and a meal which we do every weekend about the same so £100/week

About £80 a week give or take for a family of 4, two adults and 2 kids (2 and 7).

We have really cut back on what we buy though, no treats, snacks or alcohol any more.

Get our shopping delivered by Sainsbury's and average around £50 for the 2 of us. There are are always bits and pieces that need picking up over the course of the week which Mrs F usually gets from the Co-Op on the way back from the yard. I budget for £80 a week all in.

That said, we went to Lidl last weekend. £170!*

*tbf, we did pick up a fair bit of stuff for xmas including:
Chateauneuf
St Emillion
Barolo

£100 a week or £400 to £500 a month.

Just two of us.

Last edited:
Well... it looks like our shopping bill is roughly in line with what others are spending.

Prices sure seem to be rocketing up though and I do hope the govt isn't stupid enough to impose that quite massive fuel tax hike at some point, surely they'll realise the effect this will have on the prices of pretty much everything.

One thing I have noticed is that some stocks in ASDA have never really fully recovered since the pandemic with some items disappearing for weeks at a time. I did think that this was a problem with suppliers getting back to work and full production but I think it could be just an ASDA issue as Tesco seem to have the things or at least equivalents that ASDA seem to find hard to put on the shelves. Another problem seems to be that ASDA buyers seem to have changed what they buy. I had a chat with a checkout lady about my favourite but missing for months biscuits (which are available at Tesco) not expecting her to know what the issue is but she replied immediately that they'd stopped stocking them and that they were now buying stuff now like Garibaldi "And we don't sell many of them." Made me wonder what they base their buying decisions on. I think she was right though as they don't seem to be selling as I did see that one shelf was full of Garibaldis.

Last edited:
we have pretty much switched to lidl for all our basics, fish, chicken, fruit n veg etc and then just the coop for stuff that we want specific brands

we have pretty much switched to lidl for all our basics, fish, chicken, fruit n veg etc and then just the coop for stuff that we want specific brands

We've tried them a couple of times but have found their service very poor. It may be a local issue but I'd have to tranquilise Mrs WW and drag her limp body into our local shop. That's the only way she'd go back and she still snarls when we drive past :D There's another cheap shop (the other German one) opening locally which we may try but everything seems to have stalled.

Last edited:
We've tried them a couple of times but have found their service very poor. It may be a local issue but I'd have to tranquilise Mrs WW and drag her limp body into our local shop. That's the only way she'd go back and she still snarls when we drive past :D There's another cheap shop (the other German one) opening locally which we may try but everything seems to have stalled.

oh for sure if you want customer service go elswhere like sainsburys or waitrose the most expensive of them all with 1 to 1 staff vs customers

oh for sure if you want customer service go elswhere like sainsburys or waitrose the most expensive of them all with 1 to 1 staff vs customers

All I can say is I can't believe all their stores are as bad as our local one but if they are I can't understand why people would use them more than twice. Once to see what they're like and a second time to make sure you didn't dream how bad it was :D

It varies as herself will have a bigger shop one week so smaller the next, and I can add £40-50 on booze if I’m around-just in case booze to store-a meal out will hit £100 by the time pre dinner drinks and a taxi home are in, sod it, can’t take it with me, so say £1k a month depending how many weekends in a month?

It varies as herself will have a bigger shop one week so smaller the next, and I can add £40-50 on booze if I’m around-just in case booze to store-a meal out will hit £100 by the time pre dinner drinks and a taxi home are in, sod it, can’t take it with me, so say £1k a month depending how many weekends in a month?

Yes, ours goes up and down depending on what we run out of and there's always the replacement buys like a new pan, kettle or whatever but things seem to be settling around the £70-£80+ range when looking at the weekly supermarket shop plus the fill in buys during the week, oh and I bought two boxes of those posh chocolate biscuits you get at this time of year so that boosted the cost of this weeks.

I just wondered how much others were spending in these inflationary days but it looks like we're spending pretty much the same, give or take depending on our habits.

One person budget ( me ) £40 a week max.

A family of 2, but I do keep open house (and even deliver ready cooked to my daughter and family of 5, "Hameats") so around £150+ per week. but, in that there are close to zero convenience and prepared foods - I bake all our bread, cook everything from scratch, grow a large proportion of veg on our allotment so really a proportion of our large energy bill has to be added, too (cooking and freezers). While I'm in the fortunate position of being able to afford it, the increase over the last couple of years is really noticeable and painful. The most significant change I made (during lockdown, for obvious reasons) was to move to home delivery, which has cut spend by around 30%, through planned buying.

Re allotments , I had my entire crop of pears stolen days before they became ripe all gone :mad:

Don't get me started on that! Attrition seems to be a sad fact of life, I put up a passive-aggressive notice one year after losing chillies, not sure it did any good. But hey, worms, slugs, thieves. Life's too short to let them get you down for too long. Bastards never seem to steal courgettes, though :(

Weekly shop is around £60-90 for family of 2.5, depend on what semi-regular stuff is included, wife orders online, I collect. The click&collect person knows me and gets stuff out as I park up. It used to be £50-70 during lockdown, prices have definitely gone up.

But wife also goes to other places ones every few weeks to buy other stuff. So I'd say it probably averages to around £100 for everything food and consumables for family of 2.5 and usually only eating out weekend lunchtimes.

I, too, have heard that many stuff are unavailable to order online. Our weekly collection cost have gone down to lower end of scale while wife need to spend time to go buy stuff more often than before. Feels like there's far less choices than last year.........

I make that myself...

My wife spends just over £100 a week for the two of us for food and this includes the wine she drinks but not my more expensive wine I buy directly. She also visits the odd shop for a few other items in the week and generally only buys meat from a butcher. There are often items missing from our supermarket deliveries. We never have takeaways and rarely go out to a restaurant.

Dave

On a related note...

My mam is 93 but she can walk around ASDA with a trolley for support. Years ago she'd walk to the local high street as the nearest supermarket was miles away and a shop there was really only possible if you had a car, we didn't and few people did. Anyway, she'd walk to the high street with a bag on wheels, all the women had them in those days and of course shopping was more than just a practical thing and she'd be gone hours as she chatted to the people she met on the way.

I dread to think what a weekly shop would cost if indeed you could do it at the local high street as the stuff is so much more expensive.

Varies from week to week but probably £150-£200 a week for 2 adults and 2 hungry teens (basically 4 adults).

I dont buy much processed stuff bar the odd pizza or doughballs type thing. Around half at Tesco which is Diet Coke/7Up (which I know I drink too much of), stuff for kids lunchboxes, crisps etc.., and varied stuff for the house like bleach, loo wipes and so on. Some weeks close to £100, others around £50. Waitrose is more for fruit & veg, meat and general stuff. Tend to buy Waitrose label or branded stuff like Heinz.

Probably has gone up recently as have had a number of spend £140 and save £14 vouchers which I make the most of, topping up with wine, stuff for Xmas or stuff I know I will use in coming months like stock cubes, oil etc as well as the offers. Have been on a healthy eating spree so buying more chicken and soups which add to the cost. If I am going without chocolate I want some decent but healthy lunches!

Single bloke, my weekly shop averages out around £40 a week. What I have found that helps me is that I set up an online bank account with a popular well known online bank. On payday I transfer £200 from my main account to my Monzo ( other banks are available) account, and use that card purely for my food, fuel etc ) As yet, I have not had to top up the account mid month ,as I plan my shopping / cooking knowing that's all I have for the month, hence shop shrewdly

More than we'd like for just two of us! Around about 80 a week in total I'd say. consists of maybe around 20 or so from Waitrose weekly, plus usual groceries from Lidli/Aldi and then I frequently (working from home) go out to get oat milks etc (we seem to drink this by the gallon!)

It certainly mounts up. If it was just me, I'd be super basic - I quite happily live on oatmeal, oats, pasta and humus and pretty simple stuff!

i have no idea, i go out and i buy it, i never look at the price i don't know how much staples are like bread milk etc etc...reading this back to myself it makes me sound awful especially now in today's economic climate, (the only thing i do take notice of is the price of petrol), but ive never been interested in money i didnt even know how much mortgage i was paying when we had one, my brother on the other hand is totally the opposite he obsessed by money ...knows the value of everything..

At a rough guess I reckon 100 quid a week for the two of us.
Could probably be more accurate if I look back at the Ocado receipts, but what's the point.
Actually a bit more over the month now I have got back to popping up Waitrose for a few things.
Its the closest shop, about five minutes away and the only one within sensible walking distance.

Last edited:
150-200 per week for 4 of us currently.( summers probably a fair bit less as even this year we grew 50 at least 50% of our own veg)
My oldest daughters allergic to lots of stuff so we buy everything fresh and cook from scratch. We do use M&S a lot which is pricier, our main expenses are meat and fruit.
The two girls eat bowls of fruit daily and we can spend 20-30 on fruit per week easily.
Meat we try and buy local and organic/ free range where possible.
This is where most money goes we have at least one whole chicken per week and they have gone from 8-10 for an organic/ free range one to 15-20 but that is used in 3 evening meals.( 2 meals of chicken and the last day we have noddles in chicken broth)

Tinned and proceeded foods are at a minimum and we don’t buy any alcohol.

For us eating well is the most important thing

At a rough guess I reckon 100 quid a week for the two of us.
Could probably be more accurate if I look back at the Ocado receipts, but what's the point.
Actually a bit more over the month now I have got back to popping up Waitrose for a few things.
Its the closest shop, about five minutes away and the only one within sensible walking distance.

I just wondered how much other people were spending and if other people had noticed the big increases in price or reductions in product size.

As I mentioned above I've gradually switched to mostly shop branded goods so I suppose what I spend would be much higher if I'd stuck to the usual big name brands. We do buy quite a bit of fruit and veg but I have to say that although the total bill for that sort of stuff has gone up in price I think some other food stuffs seem to have gone up a lot more. For example some biscuits were £2 and they're now £3.50 but at least the contents seem to be the same with no content reduction.

I/we are lucky as we can still afford anything and everything we buy but I can imagine some peoples disposable income shrinking to nothing.

I just wondered how much other people were spending and if other people had noticed the big increases in price or reductions in product size.

As I mentioned above I've gradually switched to mostly shop branded goods so I suppose what I spend would be much higher if I'd stuck to the usual big name brands. We do buy quite a bit of fruit and veg but I have to say that although the total bill for that sort of stuff has gone up in price I think some other food stuffs seem to have gone up a lot more. For example some biscuits were £2 and they're now £3.50 but at least the contents seem to be the same with no content reduction.

I/we are lucky as we can still afford anything and everything we buy but I can imagine some peoples disposable income shrinking to nothing.

I meant what's the point me looking back to get a more accurate figure, rough idea would do for this discussion.

Back