weekly Hugh's 52/2013 - Week 3 Added

Name
Hugh Williams
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok,

So having not used my camera much last year apart from the standard friends and family (and pets) and holiday snaps, heres to hoping for some creativity!

I enjoyed following some of the 52's from last year, so thought I would join in. I dont have a huge amount of free time, but should be able to create something each week. Whether or not I will improve, or keep the strength of the submissions up for a year, who knows!

So I have recently upgraded to a 600D after my 400D bit the dust, and have a 24-105L and 10-22 on the way, so my 1 rule is that I will use each of my lenses in rotation, never the same lens two weeks in a row.

Good Luck everyone!

Week 1 - Sin
Week 2 - Season
Week 3 - Gravity

Hugh

Last edited:
sort of lost word its not noticeable enougth i see what you are getting at, it's a good start, sometimes the themes are a bit uninspiring and frustrating but keep with it

I also understand the symbolism, but as I can't see the word -- doesn't help that I don't know spanish -- it doesn't really work for me, sorry.

I really like the red with the white of the dictionary, it's just a shame that there's slight stripes to it, drives my eyes a little crazy, but obviously can't be helped.

Good idea, maybe you needed to get a little closer to the words and not the whole book.

Composition is good, and colours are nice and vibrant though :)

good effort Hugh - technically I can't see much to moan about, I think the main problem here is the position of the word in the dictionary, which in this view leads you to tip your head right over to read it, only really possible on the large flickr version.

But onwards and upwards. And I've got a lens swapping rule too - should make it interesting. (y)

I think that is a clever idea, using the word in another language. I'm sure this will come in handy later in the year when no doubt I will struggle for inspiration. As for the image itself, as others have said, it only really works at full res on a large screen but apart from that top marks. (y)

Hi Hugh. I agree with others about the crop and the difficulty "getting" it except on a large full res version, but it is well lit and the DoF is well controlled.

As others suggested, I think a much closer view of the actual word would have been your best option, but this is a good start :)

im not going to repeat about the difficulties of the image etc - however on a plus side, i like your imagination etc and technically the image is great especially the use of DOF :)

Hi, Hugh, sometimes it's just good to get started. You'll see an improvement over the coming 51 week ;)

Nice reds and I like th shadows in the cloth. Sin is in there, somewhere, not easy to see, unless you crop in right.

Week 1 done...good show!

Cheers.

hi Hugh..a belated welcome to the madhouse of 52's........inspiration was sadly lacking for me as well with this theme :crying:

Others have posted crit with which I agree....but I do like the placement of the book , the lighting looks good & I love the contrast twixt red & white (y)

Good start...you're over the 1st hurdle...& on the downwards ( albeit long) long slope to the finishing line...keep it up mister :)

I like the colouring and and can see the S in the margin - I think other people's eyesight must be a lot better than mine as I could not even see that it was in a foreign language.

Enjoy your 10-22, they are great lenses. I have used mine for all my 12 Etc shots so far (all three of them and thought I might try it for the other three as well).

like the red background.. makes the book stand out well.. but closer focus on the word might have worked better?.. had to think hard for this theme myself, I wasn't really feeling it..

His there, a cracking pair of salt and pepper pots here.

I prefer #2, but agree the creases distract a bit. I think taking them into the garden would really take them up a level.

WB may be a tad off?

Cheers.

Thanks all,

The shadows were intentional, as I felt they added to an otherwise rather boring background (being evening and not having a lit outdoor space to use!)

The half cropped shadow was the best of both worlds, as I had limited space, but I may well try reshooting this against a more interesting backdrop, as the shakers are cool.

Now onto gravity!

The spinning coin is a good idea, maybe a darker background would help it to stand out more. The candle wax pictures look a bit soft.

Hi ya

Ectoplasm.....:LOL: from the set posted I'm going for the 2nd of the melted candle wax shots....the wax is a great color , it shows Gravity perfectly....well spotted even though it was unintentional :)

The 1st coin spinney one works better than the 2nd for me as the background is more even.....keep trying cos I think you're almost there with that shot :)

Back