Ian's 52 for 2021

Last edited:
A bit like that scene in Austin Powers...
Hah. I wonder if that's where I was subconsciously going with it :)

:D Your image for clean raised a laugh Ian, your lead into it built up the suspense haha.
I do like a bit of humour in photography, nice one.

Week 34: [Drinking from the right] Glass

Just wanted an easy one this week, and with an eye on a book at the end of it all (I don't think I'll be doing another 52!) I wanted to try and keep the images relevant to my life and the happenings over the year.

Week 34: (Drinking from the right) Glass by Ian, on Flickr

I've stopped drinking alcohol while developing. It never ends well! But with glass bottles, a drinking glass and the glass screen, I thought I had enough to be on theme. Had to remove a large amount of clutter from the counter to keep it tidy and I was shooting at the limits of handheld purely because too lazy to get the tripod... 1/30sec at f/3.5 meant there were all sorts of possible issues with this. It ended up being ok. That's about it.

I like the composition but I have to be honest, my eye can't settle due to the focus - i'm not 100% sure on what the 'subject' (of focus) is.

I like the composition but I have to be honest, my eye can't settle due to the focus - i'm not 100% sure on what the 'subject' (of focus) is.
Agreed. Me & the RB67 have a long history of struggling with focus. It was the wrong tool for the job with hindsight. I was looking for something that didn't have much film left in it... [/poorexcuses]

Whatever its limitations its on theme and its relevant to yourself which is one of the biggest points of taking photographs I think.
Well done for sticking with film too.

I like it! Right glass - but wrong liquid :D

As said.. if it's meaningful to you then it's relevant. Well done for sticking to your guns and with the 52!

Clean
Oh my eyes.
Good fun shot, you've actually thought it out well. The items in the foreground are well placed (not just for the obvious reason).

Week 35: Cat on the Floor (Again)

Was supposed to be going out on Saturday but didn't manage it so I'll have to settle for a cat on the floor.

Week 35: Cat on the Floor (Again) by Ian, on Flickr

Picked up an EOS 300v and a Canon 50mm f/1.8 this week for less than £100 which is a bargain in my eyes. The camera is tiny and reminds me of my 350D and with the little 50 makes quite a small package. This was a test roll to make sure everything worked. It did!

I have a lot of these photos. It's a good challenge for the metering and the latitude of the film (Maco Eagle traffic camera film) makes the images pretty good. Just enough grain to add character without being over-bearing.

Week 36: Unnatural

Week 36: Unnatural by Ian, on Flickr

A new film. Washi I. It was a bit light on developing details, so I developed in Diafine and ended up with this...

Certainly not natural results that's for sure. Most images went in the bin. Next roll will get dev'd in a proper developer in the hope that was the problem and not the film.

It's a bit creepy IMO, but I'm not a fan of clowns...

Its an interesting effect but I can see why its not what you wanted but then again it does kind of fit with the nightmarish clown.

I agree the effect adds to the unnatural theme for the clown - whoever first thought to make a clown's face like that I wonder? Altogether unnatural.

Love your cat on the floor for Snapper's. Lovely depth of field and great that you have your cat's attention (did you have treats in your hand?)

Glass - I hope you did drink from the right one :D You've managed to squeeze a lot of glass into this image. Nicely lit.

Last edited:
Week 37: Natural (Expression)

2021-09-22-hp5at1600-mp-17.jpg

A natural expression this week. Went out on a works "team meeting". First time meeting in over 18 months, so the camera went with me. HP5 shot at ISO 1600 and still got some great images. Not had much time this week (or last) to do any commenting so please don't feel the need to say anything.

Many of my images were candid shots as I prefer that kind of photography. Was quite pleased with the results. Gonna be tough times up ahead as we've merged with another company and are all currently waiting to find out how 2 lots of people will fit into 1. Par for the course though - just sad to see good people go.

Good luck in the impending reorganisation
Thanks for the well-wishes Be. I'm very fortunate now (I hit 50) to be in a position where I'll be fine if I stay, and fine if I go.

I do really like that Ian (but then people photography is my thing too).
That is a very natural, happy smile you've caught there.
The film grain in the background is so much more pleasing than digital noise, and as bebop says, nice use of the DoF and the bokeh balls are great.

Good luck with whatever happens with your job. I took redundancy 18 months ago and it was probably the best thing that could have happened. I hope whatever happens for you is for the best.

Great image Ian, makes me want to hear the conversation that was going on, the story that was making him smile...well done.

Week 38: Autumn...

I have some colour film in cameras, but one is for a project and one I just started and I doubt I'd get through it in time. So "how to do autumn with black & white"...?

Yesterday was a day in the garden, beginning that autumnal cleanup and having the very autumnal bonnie to get shot of all the bits of wood. Nights are drawing in, and people aren't leaving their washing out overnight any more, so once the chickens were in bed I set to burning all the things.

I tried shot of the fire but it just didn't work. I think those sorts of things need to be in colour, so I ended up with a pic of the incinerator and the pile of (some of the) wood. Composition is a bit pants and losing the lid off the bottom of the frame was a bit of a rookie error.

Week 38: Autumn by Ian, on Flickr

Bonus images...

2021-09-26-trix800-mp-02.jpg
I quite like this one but it really is just a fire in a bucket.

2021-09-26-trix800-mp-11.jpg
After chopping everything I was sitting down with a beer and Dusty came to visit. He only jumps on my lap when I'm in shorts so he can use my leg as a place to flex his claws. Little bugger.

Ha ha! Cat images are always winners :D great POV

I like the lid cutting into the edge actually. It leads you to the wheelbarrow and the triangular wood pile.

The fire reminds me a bit of the Scream :eek:

Kitty pic wins as always - and a nice take on the theme :)

The first wheelbarrow shot for me, a well thought out image given the limitations of using black and white film it still manages to convey autumn.

Week 39: Doors

Suffered this week due to not having any part-finished rolls in a camera, rain, and hospital appointments. If I'd gone digital I'd have done a better job of this, as we just had the outhouse redecorated including RGB doors :)

2021-10-07-polaroid-01.jpg

The Polaroid is quite a narrow FoV and I don't think I'm a fan of the colour film. To be fair, it was a gloomy day and the flash has done most of the work here. For me - leaving the masks hanging there was a "sign of the times" shot for when I put these in a book at the end. This 52 has been very much a document my life kinda thing so keeping it natural is in keeping with what I want at the end.

Lots of flare off the white UPVC and the viewfinder is less than great, but it was done in time (if not posted in time) so that's another week done!

Yep that works well ;)

How many doors can you squeeze into an image? Liking the colours and definitely on theme. As one door opens another one closes :)

Will a colour pic have to be a special feature in your book?

I think it's utterly amazing that you are doing your 52 with film.

Will a colour pic have to be a special feature in your book?
I think after this week, it'll just be a feature...

Back