weekly Ian's 52 of 2016 (Week 27; Activity added)

Hi Ian

Nice front lit back lighting in Spiky. ;)

Nice focus on Artificial flower textures.

and intriguing birds eye view of a candle. (y)

Thanks (belatedly) for commenting :)

A good catch-up, Ian (y) I like your edit of The Living World, which makes the most of the light conditions and shows off your lovely, curious cat. Spiky is well observed with that great back-lighting and his super hair, and the first shot for Artificial is a cracker with those fantastic bold pinks and the textures of the artificial petals :clap: Really like that one.

Much appreciated. Glad you like them (I'll be sure to pass your comment to our cat, Mia as well haha).

Lovely shot for spiky - I love the way the backlighting highlights his cheek and eyelashes as well as that fabulous hair. It's the first candle shot for me - very abstract.

My personal favourite of the candle shots by far. Good choice :)

Hi Ian

Spiky - Nice use of back lighting in the hair.
Artificial - My fav is the top down on the camera. Can't say why though, maybe the simplicity of the image?

Thanks for that. As above I prefer the top down, abstract shot of the candle too. Just something nice about the colour and contrast against the dark space around it that I like I think.

So here's my second catch up in the space of a few weeks....one more and I may just get there! Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. The time taken is very much appreciated.

This time, weeks 12 to 15! Here goes....

Personal

Project 52 - Week 12 (Personal)
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Effort

Project 52 - Week 13 (Effort)

Technology

Project 52: Week 14 (Technology)

Horizontal

Project 52 - Week 15 (Horizontal)

Thanks for looking.

Ian

Last edited:
Hi Ian. Another nice catch-up with four brilliant images. All are excellent takes on their respective themes but the stand-out for me is Technology; it is an imposing shot and the colour and details you've managed to capture are quite stunning. Top marks. :clap:

Hi Ian. Another nice catch-up with four brilliant images. All are excellent takes on their respective themes but the stand-out for me is Technology; it is an imposing shot and the colour and details you've managed to capture are quite stunning. Top marks. :clap:

Thanks for that Carl! I'd taken the shot some time ago and didn't want to post submissions out of sync but knew that was my shot as soon as I took it :)
Well caught up Ian ....love the socks on the line :)

I really like the framing of technology, but I think the sock are my favourite - clever idea! Did you try a shot with the washing line horizontal? I can't work out if it might have worked even better or not.
Thank you, ladies. I literally walked into the shot (ie washing line) and spotted the opportunity for a submission.

Various angles and perspectives were tried including making the line horizontal also but it ended up screwing with the background or introducing sky which was ruining the effect I wanted which was to isolate the line and socks.

Hi Ian, some superb shots there in that latest catch up!

Personal is just stonking... I love the choice of DOF and the composition/placement. works really well for me. It's a shame you needed to use such a high ISO... any opportunity to put the camera on a tripod and take a longer exposure instead?
Effort is a very nice capture - slightly "midtone" perhaps, but I realise you may not have wanted the starker high contrast look?
Technology is nicely done but doesn't interest me as much as the others.
Horizontal is a great idea and well executed. It makes me smile which is a bonus! Well shot - good to get the background nicely dark like that (y)

Hi, "Personal" I like the composition and the idea behind it WB looks a little yellow to me.
"Effort" nice shot of your son I like the conversion it has a good tonal range
"Technology" that is a cracking shot of a train I like it
"Horizontal" as above comments simple but effective

Great catch up
Personal - I like the colour tones
Effort - lovely shot of you son
Technology - I like the tight framing
Horizontal - my favorite of the group a nice fun shot

Hi Ian,
I'm obviously going to be drawn to the Technology shot. It would be interesting to see a wider shot, as I assume those are smoke deflectors which are cut off at the front (but it was quite hard to make it out).
Otherwise, my fav would be your shot for Effort. It portrays an effort to stay awake to me. The B&W processing suits it nicely too.

Hi Ian,
I'm obviously going to be drawn to the Technology shot. It would be interesting to see a wider shot, as I assume those are smoke deflectors which are cut off at the front (but it was quite hard to make it out).
Otherwise, my fav would be your shot for Effort. It portrays an effort to stay awake to me. The B&W processing suits it nicely too.
I cropped so that the shot literally met the front of the deflectors. I can't remember what the original shot looked like exactly, but there was something heavily distracting either side / behind the train as I was in the transport museum! Was also really limited with space hence the shot was taken as wide as I could do.

I cropped so that the shot literally met the front of the deflectors. I can't remember what the original shot looked like exactly, but there was something heavily distracting either side / behind the train as I was in the transport museum! Was also really limited with space hence the shot was taken as wide as I could do.
Makes sense. Guessed that might have been the reason.

Good catch up Ian

"Personal" nice idea, nice composition ... personally I'd like the headphone better focussed.
"Effort" good & sharp.
"Technology" great colour
"Horizontal" a cracker :D

Ian, like the technology I was thinking of modern day, never even thought about a steam train.

Thanks, Chris. Always helps to think outside the box I find, even if we do have another member who loves his trains I was quite pleased with this shot.

Good catch up Ian

"Personal" nice idea, nice composition ... personally I'd like the headphone better focussed.
"Effort" good & sharp.
"Technology" great colour
"Horizontal" a cracker :D

Thanks for the comments. I agree with the focus and in hindsight should have shot on my tripod rather than handheld in the relatively low light.

The Horizontal shot with the socks is great, especially the choice of the stripy socks.

Horizontal on horizontal if you will! :D

Great catch up Ian really like horizontal

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Hi Ian, some superb shots there in that latest catch up!

Personal is just stonking... I love the choice of DOF and the composition/placement. works really well for me. It's a shame you needed to use such a high ISO... any opportunity to put the camera on a tripod and take a longer exposure instead?
Effort is a very nice capture - slightly "midtone" perhaps, but I realise you may not have wanted the starker high contrast look?
Technology is nicely done but doesn't interest me as much as the others.
Horizontal is a great idea and well executed. It makes me smile which is a bonus! Well shot - good to get the background nicely dark like that (y)

Spot on, Paul. A tripod would have made the shot so much easier and no doubt a better end result would have come of it. If only I thought of it!!

The midtone look in B&W is a personal preference of mine to be honest and high contrast just never looks right. More experimentation needed in PP perhaps.

Nicely spotted with the darkened fence in the background on Horizontal btw. It was doing nothing for the shot and wanted the focus to be on the 'horizontal' line and sock design :)

Hi, "Personal" I like the composition and the idea behind it WB looks a little yellow to me.
"Effort" nice shot of your son I like the conversion it has a good tonal range
"Technology" that is a cracking shot of a train I like it
"Horizontal" as above comments simple but effective

Cheers for the comments first of all. The WB on 'personal' is a little yellow, but it's pretty close if not identical to what the naked eye saw with little light at all.

Nice set Ian, amazing how the boy has grown,:)

It's amazing me to look back and see just how much he's growing, Walter. Naturally, I've taken far more than you guys see on here but I still can't get over how quickly they grow!

Great catch up
Personal - I like the colour tones
Effort - lovely shot of you son
Technology - I like the tight framing
Horizontal - my favorite of the group a nice fun shot

Thank you. It would appear that the socks seem to be the firm favourite for this catch up!

Hi Ian. Very nice scenic for Vast - like the way the shoreline leads the eye. Rough - well, it's certainly rough ... tough going I should image walking on that. Fuji working well going by these. :clap:

Hi Ian

Vast is an interesting one. For me, it reminds me so much of so many of my own beachscape shots - something that looks just right to the eye but when you capture it, something's missing. I'm afraid I can't tell you what my answer is because mine are all like this too :) To be honest, the seaweed "clutter" on the beach probably doesn't help and the light is definitely just a bit too early for that golden glow that makes things look better... Compositionally I can see you've thought about each aspect, which is why I get myself frustrated when this happens - because the shot should work!

Rough definitely works better for me, here the harder shadows work better. Again, it would probably still be stronger still in golden hour light, but well spotted and a good capture.

Hi Ian,
Vast is on theme but feels a little flat. Whilst it may well be true to life, I think I'd play with saturation / clarity to see if a bit more life could be added, so that it jumps out more.
Rough works well for the theme, but not a shot that really inspires me I'm afraid.

I too like the angle and the perspective of Vast but it doesn't add vastness. :D

Rough it is. (y)

Hi Ian
Vast - Echo the comments re the flatness, it does seem a little on the flat side. I like the perspective of the shore drawing your eye back into the centre of the frame though - nice!
Rough - Yup, certainly is rough! Maybe one to play with the B&W conversion a little more on? Maybe higher contrasts would bring out more of the detail in the rock.

Enjoy the new Fuji - I love mine (x100s), certainly has that 'pick up and shoot' effect you don't get with an SLR! :)

Hi Ian

Vast I like the POV and the scene it certainly is vast I would tend to agree with Tim it appears a little flat

Rough I really like the textures and details in there

Vast - as is the comments before, I like the point of view and the composition. But it lacks something, probably better light...
Rough - I like that very much, the texture comes out very well

Hi Ian. Very nice scenic for Vast - like the way the shoreline leads the eye. Rough - well, it's certainly rough ... tough going I should image walking on that. Fuji working well going by these. :clap:

Thanks for the comments, Carl. I'm not 100% happy with either truth be told, however it was my first outing with the camera and didn't spend too long on PP.

Hi Ian

Vast is an interesting one. For me, it reminds me so much of so many of my own beachscape shots - something that looks just right to the eye but when you capture it, something's missing. I'm afraid I can't tell you what my answer is because mine are all like this too :) To be honest, the seaweed "clutter" on the beach probably doesn't help and the light is definitely just a bit too early for that golden glow that makes things look better... Compositionally I can see you've thought about each aspect, which is why I get myself frustrated when this happens - because the shot should work!

Rough definitely works better for me, here the harder shadows work better. Again, it would probably still be stronger still in golden hour light, but well spotted and a good capture.

Thanks for the comments once again, Paul. The golden hour light would have vastly improved the shots certainly! I actually took a similar shot looking back down the beach and the sun was so strong it just didn't work at all.

I guess I either need to get my backside out of bed a little earlier or keep the wife out a little longer! Both were more snapshots whilst out with the family so were perhaps a little more rushed than I would have liked too.

Hi Ian,
Vast is on theme but feels a little flat. Whilst it may well be true to life, I think I'd play with saturation / clarity to see if a bit more life could be added, so that it jumps out more.
Rough works well for the theme, but not a shot that really inspires me I'm afraid.

Agreed. I'm not that happy with either to be honest and I think more time spent in PP could improve them both. Perhaps when I get a spare five minutes.....whenever that might be!

Hi Ian ....well your vast shot definitely fits the theme for me, I like the angle and the perspective it gives curving into the distance.

I love the rough shot .....full screen it's so full of texture helped by those dark shadows.

Many thanks, Susie. I think you're being kind about both but I'm glad you can see what I was going for :)

I too like the angle and the perspective of Vast but it doesn't add vastness. :D

Rough it is. (y)

My intention was actually to take a shot looking out to sea. The lighting was horrific on the day though photography wise and the X30 just couldn't cope with it (or I couldn't as it was my first time using it). Hopefully the light will be more favourable next time out.

Hi Ian
Vast - Echo the comments re the flatness, it does seem a little on the flat side. I like the perspective of the shore drawing your eye back into the centre of the frame though - nice!
Rough - Yup, certainly is rough! Maybe one to play with the B&W conversion a little more on? Maybe higher contrasts would bring out more of the detail in the rock.

Enjoy the new Fuji - I love mine (x100s), certainly has that 'pick up and shoot' effect you don't get with an SLR! :)

I have two of them now so no excuses! Thanks for commenting :)

Hi Ian

Vast I like the POV and the scene it certainly is vast I would tend to agree with Tim it appears a little flat

Rough I really like the textures and details in there

Cheers mate. Crit noted ;)

Vast - as is the comments before, I like the point of view and the composition. But it lacks something, probably better light...
Rough - I like that very much, the texture comes out very well

Glad you can see the texture I'd intended to show in the second shot. I still think it can be better, but the intention was there! Thanks for commenting.

A final catch up for me and three shots taken with another Fuji. Not my X30, but my newly purchased X-T10! Again it was a first outing with the camera and I decided to stick it in the Velvia simulation mode for the trip which resulted in the colourful shots you can see below (the exception being Entrance, obviously). All three are JPEG virtually SOOC with only very minor adjustments on my phone using the Snapseed app. I may adjust further depending upon how they view on a reasonable screen. Hope you like.

Week 18: Covered

Project 52: Week 18 (Covered)

Week 19: Colourful

Project 52: Week 19 (Colourful)

Week 20: Entrance

Project 52: Week 20 (Entrance)

Thanks for looking.

Ian

Yay! All caught up. (Cute little fellow - like the nonchalant foot resting up. Great way to getting someone help carry your reflector around Ian!). Lovely shot for Covered. Plain and simple shot for Colourful but oh such bright & beautiful colours. Can make out the Ticket Office at the top of the stairs in Entrance so definitely fits the bill. I particularly like the zig zag shadows along the stairs which adds depth and emphasis to gradient.

Yay! All caught up. (Cute little fellow - like the nonchalant foot resting up. Great way to getting someone help carry your reflector around Ian!). Lovely shot for Covered. Plain and simple shot for Colourful but oh such bright & beautiful colours. Can make out the Ticket Office at the top of the stairs in Entrance so definitely fits the bill. I particularly like the zig zag shadows along the stairs which adds depth and emphasis to gradient.

Thanks Carl. It does work surprisingly well as a reflector! The first two were virtually SOOC so really happy with them and the OTT Velvia simulation.

The b&w needed a little adjusting but I liked the simplicity of it though would have liked to see more of the entrance st the top I just didn't have enough room to reframe it.

Well done with catching up Ian ...super shot of your little boy he looks a cool dude :)

I love Colourful ...so simple but so eye catching.

I agree about the choice of b&w for Entrance ...works really well with all those steps leading up.

Thanks, Susie. Much appreciated. It's taken a while but got there in the end! :)

Great catchup Ian

Love the shot of your little lad and his shade the DOF works really well.

A nice and simple shot for colourful that works so well love the vibrant green of the grass

Entrance love the B&W conversion and the shadows of the handrails

Gosh the last three, really nice thought process and pics. Colourful is defiantly my favourite

Chris
Thanks, Chris. It's such a simple shot but couldn't believe it was actually that perfect right in front of my eyes. Like a windows wallpaper :)

Great catchup Ian

Love the shot of your little lad and his shade the DOF works really well.

A nice and simple shot for colourful that works so well love the vibrant green of the grass

Entrance love the B&W conversion and the shadows of the handrails

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated and I love them all personally too. So happy with the switch to Fuji so far.

Covered ... good family photo, liking the setting with that BG OOF.

Entrance ... the "Tickets" word, makes it work.

Colourful ... love it. :clap: Perfect sky, perfect contrasting textured greenery.

Hi Ian.
Colourful - I know it's wrong, but I keep wanting to straighten the horizon. Had there been a tree ot something to emphasize the slope it would have felt better to me.
Entrance - Great shot. B&W works very well for it :)

Covered ... good family photo, liking the setting with that BG OOF.

Entrance ... the "Tickets" word, makes it work.

Colourful ... love it. :clap: Perfect sky, perfect contrasting textured greenery.

Thanks very much. I was pretty pleased with them given I just went for a walk with my lad with no intention of getting snaps to fit the 52!

Hi Ian.
Colourful - I know it's wrong, but I keep wanting to straighten the horizon. Had there been a tree ot something to emphasize the slope it would have felt better to me.
Entrance - Great shot. B&W works very well for it :)

Believe it or not, I actually straightened the horizon in PP as I thought the same but the detail in the green /clouds were then at an angle which annoyed me even more. A tree would have been ideal, however there was nothing at all to give such an effect.

Back