weekly Ian's 52 of 2016 (Week 27; Activity added)

Nice catch up Ian.

Colourful, certainly is, it reminds me of the "win-blis" theme, remember that? :D

Nice catch up Ian.

Colourful, certainly is, it reminds me of the "win-blis" theme, remember that? :D
My thoughts exactly, even when viewed through the EVF at the time of shooting.

Last edited:
Great catch up lately...I'm trying to play catch-up with the comments too!
I really like the shot for rough - wonderful textures and shadows.
Great idea for covered and a cute little model you've got there - I love the idea of you using the cover as a reflector...now my boy's six he's a pretty useful reflector holder, too ;)
i think colourful is the stand out image for me - so vibrant and on theme. I probably would have moved the horizon up or down for the thirds rule, but by placing it where you have I think it makes the shot more about the colour than the landscape. :clap:

Great catch up lately...I'm trying to play catch-up with the comments too!
I really like the shot for rough - wonderful textures and shadows.
Great idea for covered and a cute little model you've got there - I love the idea of you using the cover as a reflector...now my boy's six he's a pretty useful reflector holder, too ;)
i think colourful is the stand out image for me - so vibrant and on theme. I probably would have moved the horizon up or down for the thirds rule, but by placing it where you have I think it makes the shot more about the colour than the landscape. :clap:

It's not easy, is it?! :)

Thank you so much for the comments. My covered and colourful are probably my personal favourites too (I'm biased towards my son mind you!). Entirely my intention re: ignoring the rule of thirds and besides, they're meant to be broken right?

Ps

It never hurts to have a little helper, though sadly Ethan is a few years away from being anything other than a model for me (albeit a very cute one!)

Staying on theme for once, here's my second choice shot for Week 21 (Size).

Depending on how this goes down, I may revisit my first attempt which I wasn't happy with. JPEG almost SOOC again :)

Hope you like.

Week 21: Size

Project 52: Week 21 (Size)
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Cheers

Ian

Er, I don't get it Ian, you'll have to explain the relevance.
Is it taken in a mirror and then reversed?
It is, but the size is a little more obvious than that (was only reversed so the size was legible [emoji6])

Very well done Ian, I keep going back to it, there is something compelling about that photo, well lit, good details.

Very well done Ian, I keep going back to it, there is something compelling about that photo, well lit, good details.
Thanks very much. It took me a good few attempts as I'm still not overly familiar with the camera, AF settings or the minimum distance the lens will focus at.

Was quite happy with it in the end.

Hi Ian

Covered: how smart of you to mount a small studio reflector on the back of your son's trike ;) The EXIF says no flash but his face/head looks as if you've used fill flash. It certainly pops against the strong background, so well done (y)

Colourful is a great simple image. The best often are! Yes, it's slightly oversaturated but so was the microsoft wallpaper and that did ok :)

Entrace: I recognise that! Well taken and good composition but I reckon the B&W conversion could do with higher contrast to avoid it falling into the "mid grey" trap perhaps?

Size: great take. I did something similar for my TP2014 (I think). It works well and the lighting is spot on for what I think you wanted to achieve - really effective :clap:

Thanks for the comments as always, Paul. Always nice to see others 'get' what I'm going for in a shot.

Ps

The flash wasn't fired for covered as per the EXIF. A wee edit in Snapseed on my phone was all it needed to brighten his face up a touch ;)

Although it an image which frankly has been done to death you have actually done a good job of it, nice black and white too

Nice clean take Ian - mirror shots aren't easy by any means. Yes, I too like the b&w.

Great take on the theme Ian. Nice and clean really like the DOF you've used

Ahhh I didn't get the theme link at first, but hey, still love the image, lovely and sharp, great strong tones, and really like the composition along with the DoF too (y)
It's a slightly tenuous link in all fairness, but my first idea shots were pretty poor and I just wasn't happy with them at all.

Oh well, perhaps revisit it at some point in time for another bash (or more likely not at all!).

Excellent job, top avatar too. Good & sharp on those numbers. :clap:

Great interpretation for size and must admit hadn't thought it would have to be reversed :banghead:

Sharp where it should be and has been said already it makes a really cool avatar. (y)

So this week was a difficult one. @pjm1 expected lots of black and white, gritty shots and that is exactly what has been transpiring (save for the odd bare bottom @posiview!).

I'd have loved to have come up with something original, but my first choice shots had already been posted, mainly as I, like many others visited my local cemetery where I assumed there to be lots of forgotten resting places as well as an area for the hopefully never to be forgotten soldiers of the world wars fought. What I found was nothing particularly photogenic in terms of the soldiers' final resting spot and the rest of the cemetery was absolutely immaculate with every single gravestone in excellent condition and the majority of them having fresh flowers laid at them. It was an amazing sight but didn't help me in the slightest.

Then I laid eyes on this, my subject. Surrounded by the cleanest resting place I have every seen in my life and other, newer looking benches was this old, decaying and very sorry looking resting spot for those of us lucky enough to still be alive. I give you, my submission for Week 22 (Forgotten).

Hope you like.

Week 22: Forgotten

Project 52: Week 22 (Forgotten)
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

ps I know it's still in b&w! :)

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
I like it, Ian.

How many people have sat on that bench and had a cry for lost friends, raised a smile for the good times they had, or just spent a moment in contemplation.

Cheers.

I like it, Ian.

How many people have sat on that bench and had a cry for lost friends, raised a smile for the good times they had, or just spent a moment in contemplation.

Cheers.
Indeed. Whilst the bench might be forgotten, those resting in that place certainly haven't been and let's face it that matters the most.

I got chatting to an old guy who'd lost his wife just a year ago and who was tidying her grave and laying fresh flowers. He actually offered to let me photograph him which for a second I thought, "yeah, that'd be a good one!".

I chickened out in the end and thanked him for the offer but it wasn't necessary as well as my thoughts for his comparatively recent loss compared to others there.

Still wondering whether I should have just bloody done it [emoji1]

Indeed. Whilst the bench might be forgotten, those resting in that place certainly haven't been and let's face it that matters the most.

I got chatting to an old guy who'd lost his wife just a year ago and who was tidying her grave and laying fresh flowers. He actually offered to let me photograph him which for a second I thought, "yeah, that'd be a good one!".

I chickened out in the end and thanked him for the offer but it wasn't necessary as well as my thoughts for his comparatively recent loss compared to others there.

Still wondering whether I should have just bloody done it [emoji1]

Special, very special.

Not sure what I'd have done.

Cheers.

Good choice of subject, I like the forgotten but not forgotten sentiment behind it, nicely done.

Good choice of subject, I like the forgotten but not forgotten sentiment behind it, nicely done.
Cheers! :)

It really wasn't my intention at the outset, but was more than happy with what I came home with.

Like the bench Ian, definitely looks forgotten with the lichens all over. Must admit I think I would of been exactly the same as you regarding the photo opportunity

Last edited:
Yes, I like the bench too Ian - especially as it's contrasted with that newer model behind as well as all that lichen smothering the surface of the woodwork. Gritty. (y)

Like the bench Ian, definitely looks forgotten with the lichens all over. Must admit I think I would of been exactly the same as you regarding the photo opportunity

Thanks, Chris. Yeah it wasn't easy and I may well have had something pretty good had I taken him up on his offer, but it just didn't feel right (that and I'm a chicken).

Yes, I like the bench too Ian - especially as it's contrasted with that newer model behind as well as all that lichen smothering the surface of the woodwork. Gritty. (y)

Exactly what I was going for, Carl. I didn't find a better composition that included both benches without losing the detail on the main subject sadly. Still happy with the end result though.

Cheers

Wonderful detaii in this when viewed on flickr - lichen seems to tell a million stories.

It must be some age that's for sure! I'd always suggest viewing on Flickr as well as they certainly lose a little when resized for the forum.

Thanks Em :)

Incredible detail lovely B&W conversion very nice indeed

Thanks very much, Mark. Much appreciated and the first of many with the Helios I'd imagine! :)

bit of a catch up for me

Covered - lovely shot or your little lad
colourful - as others have said simple but effective very vibrant
entrance - I like the shadow of the railings on the stairs
size - clever Idea
forgotten - that bench does look in need of some TLC B+W certainly works well for this theme

Nice entry ... but the B&W makes it look like bird s*** o_O. What about us all getting down there and cleaning it up. :)

Nice entry ... but the B&W makes it look like bird s*** o_O. What about us all getting down there and cleaning it up. :)
Haha well that's a different take on it certainly. I'd argue that either way it's been forgotten mind you :)

I really was so impressed with how immaculate the rest of the cemetery was. Although no doubt older and grander, it makes the necropolis in Glasgow seem like a pig stye.

Hi Ian... nice subject for the theme and it doesn't matter that it's been a popular choice as it's your interpretation and spot of the picture.

Processing is good and works well for this, the DOF choice is good and composition works. It's just a shame you missed focus.

Sorry, that's a complete lie, but I couldn't resist trying to wind you up ;) Nicely done with your new lens!

Hi Ian... nice subject for the theme and it doesn't matter that it's been a popular choice as it's your interpretation and spot of the picture.

Processing is good and works well for this, the DOF choice is good and composition works. It's just a shame you missed focus.

Sorry, that's a complete lie, but I couldn't resist trying to wind you up ;) Nicely done with your new lens!

I can't lie Paul, that hurt....I almost checked it! [emoji1]

Back