weekly Ian's 52 of 2016 (Week 27; Activity added)

Your second sign was the idea I had! And the first is near an OK takeaway ;)

Haha it just popped into my head today! I ended up using my tripod and the X-T10's remote feature via my Android phone app, pretty cool I must say as I could frame the shot, adjust settings etc without even leaving my seat.

ps

Assuming you're talking about Chapati 9, the pizzas or horrendously bad imo. Kebabs etc are darn good though!

I like the idea of the second sign shot but I think the first edges it for me for the range of tones in the conversion.

The fuchsia retains the details which is something I find hard with bright vivid flowers, good job.

I like the idea of the second sign shot but I think the first edges it for me for the range of tones in the conversion.

The fuchsia retains the details which is something I find hard with bright vivid flowers, good job.

Thanks, Chris.

I agree re: the conversion. The first was shot in B&W in camera with only a few minor levels adjustments in PP, whereas the second was converted in Silver Efex Pro using a preset (could do better having looked at it again tbh).

I'm happy with the fuchsia also, though would have liked to have got in even closer to capture some real detail. Time to invest in some extension tubes I think! :)

Verticals & horizontals galore in Sign #1, I particularly like the mixed variety of construction materials. Nice composition and idea for Sign #2 which is my fave of the set. Lovely colour and DoF for Flora.

Verticals & horizontals galore in Sign #1, I particularly like the mixed variety of construction materials. Nice composition and idea for Sign #2 which is my fave of the set. Lovely colour and DoF for Flora.
Thanks, Carl. Yeah, I do like it and always pause for a look every time I pass.

I think I could do better with the conversion on #2 but was pleased with the idea and composition enough.
Ian, the idea for the sign theme is great, like the B&W conversion

Hi ian ....I was just going to say exactly the same as Chris above so it's :plus1: from me.
Thanks guys :)

Sign, nice idea in #2, Ian but I must admit i like the "cornerstone" nice processing too.
Flora, very nice I'm still waiting for my Fuchsia's to flower, they are trying though :)

Flora is a beaut. I really like that flower and you've done a wonderful job on it. (y)

Sign - #1 isn't an advert for a bookshop then? Not sure on the pp, the colours of the blue sky & gree trees would have given it more life imo.
Flora - Good choice of complementary colours. Viewed on flickr, the black background makes it pop out more.

#2 is a great idea for sign, and well executed!
Flora - nice composition and brilliant colours.

Sign, nice idea in #2, Ian but I must admit i like the "cornerstone" nice processing too.
Flora, very nice I'm still waiting for my Fuchsia's to flower, they are trying though :)

Thanks very much for the comments. I do like the cornerstone, hence my wanting to include it despite #2 being my actual shot for the theme.

I can't take any credit etc for the fuchsias either, I bloody hate gardening and reserve my efforts for cutting the grass only. The wife does the rest :D

Flora is a beaut. I really like that flower and you've done a wonderful job on it. (y)

Many thanks. It took a few attempts to get the focus spot on I'll tell ya! :)

Simple is a gorgeous shot - love the dof. The composition in spot on for sign too - so glad someone took that route!

Thanks, Em. Comments appreciated as always.

Sign - #1 isn't an advert for a bookshop then? Not sure on the pp, the colours of the blue sky & gree trees would have given it more life imo.
Flora - Good choice of complementary colours. Viewed on flickr, the black background makes it pop out more.

Interesting thought for the first one, re: colour. I'm sure I avoided it because of the amount of grey in the shot which did nothing for it, was very top heavy with regards to the colour. I do find Flickr always helps make photos look better, both in the background and of course the higher quality image.

#2 is a great idea for sign, and well executed!
Flora - nice composition and brilliant colours.

Thank you, Bernd :)

Another bit of catching up to do and really struggled with inspiration for the two most recent themes. Still haven't got my shot sorted out for 'Life', however after lots of head scratching I came up with the following for Week 27. They're not mine btw, but scarily close to home :D

Week 27: Activity

Project 52: Week 27 (Activity)
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Cheers

Ian

It's a great idea, but I would have preferred a much much darker picture. And maybe an even lower PoV, and without the distracting bright background.

It's a great idea, but I would have preferred a much much darker picture. And maybe an even lower PoV, and without the distracting bright background.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I did play about with different heights and the lower I got I was losing detail of the card faces so didn't want to push it too much.

Likewise with the vignette which I'm a fan of but always aware that others aren't hence I probably dialled it back a bit. May have another play with it later :)

Signs - I like both your signs lever thinking for the 2nd one
Flora - great colours I personally would like to the the open bloom in focus too but that is personal preference
Activity - I Agree the second one is better

Flora - great colours I personally would like to the the open bloom in focus too but that is personal preference

I had to check the flora shot, but see what you mean re: the open flower rather than the one to the forefront of the shot.

In my defense, it was p***ing down and I don't generally take many flora shots [emoji1] Definitely something I'll bear in mind for next time so thanks for the comment.

I agree, the darker vignette is the stronger shot, I guess because it is obscuring the curtain.
However, the blue wallpaper now jumps out at you.
Noted. I could perhaps desaturate the wallpaper a bit, toning down the blue.

Will have another look later. Always good to have another set of eyes on your shots [emoji106]

Back