Interwebby webinar session thingy

Really sorry to have missed this - a combination of working late & exhausted wife when I got home. Hope to make it to the next one.

I had it all set up, so it was strange when I tapped in the 9TEPsc as for me it said wrong password. I do hope to be able to join in on the next one.
That is strange, I clicked on the link and it took me straight in no password requested. Hopefully there's a next time :)

I had it all set up, so it was strange when I tapped in the 9TEPsc as for me it said wrong password. I do hope to be able to join in on the next one.

I joined on my iPad and clicking the link took me there directly without having to put the password in.

When I tried to join a previous zoom meeting on my MacBook, it wanted me to download software, so I just stick to the iPad now.

If there’s another one we could always do a test run first.

I checked and the free version gives up to 99 people access for 40 minutes, so it wasn’t that.

I joined on my iPad and clicking the link took me there directly without having to put the password in.

When I tried to join a previous zoom meeting on my MacBook, it wanted me to download software, so I just stick to the iPad now.

I checked and the free version gives up to 99 people access for 40 minutes, so it wasn’t that.

Same here, straight in on the link on my Ipad.

Dougie.

@shugplug was right, a box flashed up at 40 minutes telling us that the time limit had been lifted and we carried on for another 20 minutes or so..

I'll be happy to do it again if people want to, I assumed that Friday would be OK because of the lockdown but it was probably a bad idea to choose today, a public holiday and the VE anniversary day:(

I think that I talked far too much, I'm happy to shut up if told to do so (was married once so used to that), we really need to make sure that everyone who wants to can ask questions and get answers.

@shugplug was right, a box flashed up at 40 minutes telling us that the time limit had been lifted and we carried on for another 20 minutes or so..

I'll be happy to do it again if people want to, I assumed that Friday would be OK because of the lockdown but it was probably a bad idea to choose today, a public holiday and the VE anniversary day:(

I think that I talked far too much, I'm happy to shut up if told to do so (was married once so used to that), we really need to make sure that everyone who wants to can ask questions and get answers.

You definitely didn’t talk too much. I found your info on modelling lights particularly interesting, and having looked at the Lencarta site (again!) can see the Smartflash are much cheaper than the AD200s.

I am going to play with my speedlites for the moment and go through your book again, although my daughter has just offered to be my model [emoji15] [emoji16]

You definitely didn’t talk too much. I found your info on modelling lights particularly interesting, and having looked at the Lencarta site (again!) can see the Smartflash are much cheaper than the AD200s.

I am going to play with my speedlites for the moment and go through your book again, although my daughter has just offered to be my model
emoji15.png
emoji16.png

Mind google the 101 website before you splash out !. I found the Smartflash amazing bits of kit for the job.

I've found the old thread here of my shots with studio heads, you can backtrack to my original thread as well !

Cheers,
Dougie.

Original Thread :-

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/equipment-help-please.683931/

Results Thread :-

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/some-product-photography.685081/

Bugger!
Missed this.
For some reason I've not received any alerts to replies on this thread. :thinking:

Mind google the 101 website before you splash out !. I found the Smartflash amazing bits of kit for the job.

I've found the old thread here of my shots with studio heads, you can backtrack to my original thread as well !

Cheers,
Dougie.

Original Thread :-

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/equipment-help-please.683931/

Results Thread :-

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/some-product-photography.685081/

Thank you. I will have a look [emoji106] I am reluctant to buy more gear unless I know I will use it, so I think I must spend more time with my speedlites first.

@Phil V I’m sorry that I didn’t explore your suggestion further of asking people. Although I babble, I was actually nervous too and I didn’t finish what I meant to say. I can be brave approaching strangers if I have to, when out and about, but did you mean that I should ask people I know to come and sit for me?

Thank you. I will have a look [emoji106] I am reluctant to buy more gear unless I know I will use it, so I think I must spend more time with my speedlites first.

@Phil V I’m sorry that I didn’t explore your suggestion further of asking people. Although I babble, I was actually nervous too and I didn’t finish what I meant to say. I can be brave approaching strangers if I have to, when out and about, but did you mean that I should ask people I know to come and sit for me?

Hi
No problem, there’s always ‘lost opportunity’ in meetings like that.

But notwithstanding the current situation;
yes, ask people, friends, wider family etc, and it’ll then grow to their friends etc etc

Another route; when you’re doing your ‘grab n grins’ there’s always someone who will show an interest in hogging the camera attention, offer them a shoot.

Whilst many people are uncomfortable about being in front of the camera, loads of others are desperate to share pics of themselves on soc media, dating sites etc.

Hi

yes, ask people, friends, wider family etc, and it’ll then grow to their friends etc etc

Another route; when you’re doing your ‘grab n grins’ there’s always someone who will show an interest in hogging the camera attention, offer them a shoot.

Whilst many people are uncomfortable about being in front of the camera, loads of others are desperate to share pics of themselves on soc media, dating sites etc.

Thank you. You have got me thinking [emoji848][emoji846] I just need people I’m close to I guess at first, that won’t mind me faffing.

i dont dip into the lighting forum much so had missed the original thread and then only saw the one in the general forum at 9pm. Maybe put a post in the general thread the day before. Definately would be up for joining the next one as always enjoy learning new stuff even if it may be for occaisional use.

Hi

This.
Thank you. You have got me thinking [emoji848][emoji846] I just need people I’m close to I guess at first, that won’t mind me faffing.
That's just a self confidence thing. If you don't mind complete strangers thinking that you're hopeless it doesn't matter.
Personally I would get some studio flash first, it's so much easier to get good results with the modelling lamp and fast recycling, and then I would spend as long as it takes practising with still life subjects. This will create far better results, which will give you confidence and will allow you to think about the subject, not the equipment.

And then, once you're happier with your quality, another way forward would be to go on to some of the modelling sites and book a local wannabe model. No money changes hands, the model supplies his / her time and you supply images. This isn't a route that I would ever recommend normally, because most of these wannabees are totally useless, but it does provide a supply of different people to photograph.

Once you've mastered the basics of studio lighting - which is just an understanding of the importance of having the right type of light (hard, soft, variations of that, and the one place that it needs to be to achieve the result you're looking for) and can get your head around the very simple technical stuff, then you'll be able to concentrate on what really matters, getting the creative elements right.

There's a massive amount of help available, there are loads of really good youtube videos out there, but then there are loads of terrible ones too - many of which are deliberately deceptive, produced by con artists selling lighting equipment and using post processing to create the images that they claim to have shot with their over-priced equipment - and there are a lot of well-meaning but equally useless ones too, so you need to be selective and have your b******t filter switched on. If it's any help, I've shot a few myself, here https://www.youtube.com/user/lencarta/videos and I've also posted a few tutorials on TP here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/categories/photography-technique.3/ and there are a few more to be added.

Lighting isn't a black art that's limited to a tiny number of experts, it's actually a simple process that anyone can do.

This.

That's just a self confidence thing. If you don't mind complete strangers thinking that you're hopeless it doesn't matter.
you are so right. My confidence using flash has grown because of being pushed into it for record shots, so I need to practice, practice, practice.

Lighting isn't a black art that's limited to a tiny number of experts, it's actually a simple process that anyone can do.
That’s the trouble, it can seem like it is a dark art [emoji23]

I did a local workshop some years ago but realised afterwards I had learnt hardly anything because they set everything up for us - modifiers, light positioning and power. Although they explained why, I think I need to do it myself and make mistakes to learn. We were at least given practice posing the model.
Thank you as ever Garry for your help.

Last edited:
you are so right. My confidence using flash has grown because of being pushed into it for record shots, so I need to practice, practice, practice.

That’s the trouble, it can seem like it is a dark art [emoji23]

I did a local workshop some years ago but realised afterwards I had learnt hardly anything because they set everything up for us - modifiers, light positioning and power. Although they explained why, I think I need to do it myself and make mistakes to learn. We were at least given practice posing the model.
Thank you as ever Garry for your help.
Unfortunately, many lighting workshops are pretty poor. Sometimes the reason may be that the person running them simply doesn't have the knowledge needed, and is teaching others simply because h/she can't hack it as a working photographer. Lost sheep masquerading as sheepdogs:)

I do things differently. A few years ago I hosted a one day product photography workshop for TP members, sponsored by Lencarta. I asked people to bring along whatever they struggled to light, and from memory we ended up with a trombone, some food, a glass of beer, some shoes, cameras and other things. I did that partly so that people could meet their specific needs, partly to add variety and partly because I didn't want to make things easy for myself (and useless for other people) by choosing easy subjects that suited me. After explaining the basic principles of lighting I started each project off and then forced invited the victims to do it all themselves, only jumping in myself when needed, and I think that people learned from that session.

And, years earlier, I ran repeated artistic nude sessions, again sponsored, although with these there was a small charge to cover the cost of the model, and again I took a back seat as far as possible. When I started off on these I used to ask people about their level of experience, which according to them ranged from complete beginner who had never been in a studio before to seasoned professional, but I gave up asking the question because it made no difference whatever - none of them had a clue when they walked in, all of them were almost equally good by the end of the day. In fact, generally, the beginners were better, perhaps because they didn't carry any baggage. Remarkably, there were at least two people who immediately set themselves up as teachers and hosted their own courses, which sadly comes back to my earlier point about some of the people who run courses.

Generally though, I was far too busy working as an advertising, fashion and product photographer to run courses. Most photographers are.

I have been watching this thread and when I saw it start I thought, this is yet another wonderful gesture of help & support to the TP community by Garry @Garry Edwards

I for one would try to join the next "meeting" but none too sure that I could/would contribute much........but hopefully learn some things.

So a packet of :jaffa: to Garry, as one does not seem to be enough ;)

So, do we want to do this again or not?

If we do, I can arrange it for Friday 22nd May at 8 p.m. - please post here if you're interested.

I would join again... but I'm not going to say anything :LOL:
I'll try to be there too, and like you, I'll try to keep my nervous burbling's to a minimum.
Would it be possible to have a subject to focus on, say portraits or still life ? Something most of us can try or experiment with at home with maybe a few examples of set ups and the results ?
I lean so much from seeing that way and reason why certain things work.
Again, thank you so much Garry for offering to do this, and I hope more come along to join up.

I’ll try and join if I’m free.

I would join again... but I'm not going to say anything :LOL:
Everyone must talk as much as they want to, that's the whole idea.
Would it be possible to have a subject to focus on, say portraits or still life ? Something most of us can try or experiment with at home with maybe a few examples of set ups and the results ?
I lean so much from seeing that way and reason why certain things work.
If you lean too far you'll fall over:) But good idea. Let's see if we have a consensus - portraits, still life or maybe something else? But please bear in mind that nearly all of my own experience is with studio flash, I know relatively little about using flashguns indoors, so if we can have someone else there with a lot of experience with flashguns, such as @philV then it would help.

And I'm pretty disorganised, whenever I've done shoots for tutorials I've always meant to take stepback shots showing how I've lit the subject but have nearly always forgotten to actually do it, so have little to actually show:(

And I'm still thinking that it should basically be a Q & A session (not a lecture or training session) to keep it relevant and useful to as many people as possible, but tell me if you think that's the wrong approach.

And finally, I'm going to be stuck indoors for a long time, I don't care what the government says, I'm an insulin dependant diabetic, I'm old and at high risk of Coronavirus and I'm going to do the world a favour and keep away from other people, so anyone who has specific questions about lighting and who doesn't want a public discussion about it on this forum is free to contact me via PM, I have the time. I also believe that people who have enjoyed photography and done well from it should give something back.

Picking up on a specific lighting challenge that was raised last time, someone asked about controlling reflections in a specific situation. The challenge was to photography a perspex safety shield for minicabs, installed behind the driver. I gave what I hope were useful pointers, here's a more comprehensive answer.

1. Assuming that the main shot is taken from outside the car looking in, first wind down the windows on that side of the car, to ensure that there are no reflections from the windows.
2. Walk around the car, look through the viewfinder and adjust position so that the reflections from the perspex screen are minimalised.
3. Put the camera on a tripod, wind the windows back up and take a shot, which will be used later.
4. Put the windows down again.
5. Fit a polariser to the camera lens, adjust until reflections from the perspex screen are minimalised.
6. Place a flashgun on the other side of the perspex screen to light the inside of the car to a higher level than the ambient light, making sure that no light directly hits the screen. This works in the same way and for the same reason that people can see through lace curtains to spy on their neighbours without being seen when it's brighter outside than inside, but they can be seen clearly at night when the inside is brighter than the outside.
7. Blend in the first shot (step 3) and adjust to suit, so that the windows in the final shot are closed and showing just enough to make it look genuine.

That's it.

If you lean too far you'll fall over:) But good idea. Let's see if we have a consensus - portraits, still life or maybe something else? But please bear in mind that nearly all of my own experience is with studio flash, I know relatively little about using flashguns indoors, so if we can have someone else there with a lot of experience with flashguns, such as @philV then it would help.

And I'm pretty disorganised, whenever I've done shoots for tutorials I've always meant to take stepback shots showing how I've lit the subject but have nearly always forgotten to actually do it, so have little to actually show:(

And I'm still thinking that it should basically be a Q & A session (not a lecture or training session) to keep it relevant and useful to as many people as possible, but tell me if you think that's the wrong approach.

And finally, I'm going to be stuck indoors for a long time, I don't care what the government says, I'm an insulin dependant diabetic, I'm old and at high risk of Coronavirus and I'm going to do the world a favour and keep away from other people, so anyone who has specific questions about lighting and who doesn't want a public discussion about it on this forum is free to contact me via PM, I have the time. I also believe that people who have enjoyed photography and done well from it should give something back.

Picking up on a specific lighting challenge that was raised last time, someone asked about controlling reflections in a specific situation. The challenge was to photography a perspex safety shield for minicabs, installed behind the driver. I gave what I hope were useful pointers, here's a more comprehensive answer.

1. Assuming that the main shot is taken from outside the car looking in, first wind down the windows on that side of the car, to ensure that there are no reflections from the windows.
2. Walk around the car, look through the viewfinder and adjust position so that the reflections from the perspex screen are minimalised.
3. Put the camera on a tripod, wind the windows back up and take a shot, which will be used later.
5. Fit a polariser to the camera lens, adjust until reflections from the perspex screen are minimalised.
6. Place a flashgun on the other side of the perspex screen to light the inside of the car to a higher level than the ambient light, making sure that no light directly hits the screen. This works in the same way and for the same reason that people can see through lace curtains to spy on their neighbours without being seen when it's brighter outside than inside, but they can be seen clearly at night when the inside is brighter than the outside.
7. Blend in the first shot (step 3) and adjust to suit, so that the windows in the final shot are closed and showing just enough to make it look genuine.

That's it.
I'd say a Q&A is the way to go, could we have some questions sent through beforehand if some people are reluctant to ask on the webinar, or if it makes it easier to plan the event?

That's it.

Hi Gary thank you very much, that’s great!

For the next one I could offer thoughts on outdoor flash, I’ve done a lot of red carpet events and tried a variety of brackets and speed lights over the years.

And finally, I'm going to be stuck indoors for a long time, I don't care what the government says, I'm an insulin dependent diabetic, I'm old and at high risk of Coronavirus and I'm going to do the world a favour and keep away from other people...

I suspect you actually mean "I do care what the Government says, but wish it would have more thought for people at risk".

Anyway, please do US a favour and keep yourself safe, I think the majority here would agree that having the benefit of your experince here is a real asset!

OK, let's do it then.
Friday 22nd May at 8 p.m. We can log into the meeting before it actually starts, and need to do so.

So, we'll try to run it as an (informal) Q&A session, so the people who want to take part should plan their question(s) in advance if possible. It's open to everyone and there will be no controls, i.e. you'll go straight into the meeting and anyone can speak. Please check that your microphone (and webcam if you're using one) are working properly in advance.

But first, we need a consensus - will the subject be portraits, still life or something else? Please post your preference here and we'll go with the majority.

And I'm guessing that some people will want to show the photos that they want to talk about and I don't know how to do this. It's easy enough for people who have a green screen but not everyone does. I don't have one myself - would you believe that I can't get one until June? So, we need another method - does anyone know how to do this with Zoom?

And finally, we need more people to take part.

Here are the details, you should just need to click on the link to go straight in to the meeting.

Garry Edwards is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/79629426242?pwd=WWgvVmY1Qjh3dkJjekkvNXJNc0Vhdz09

Meeting ID: 796 2942 6242
Password: 5y2auY

I’ll be there. Portrait would be my preference.

@Garry Edwards The simplest way to share images is to open them up on your computer then choose share screen and select the window with the image. All the participants then see the image filling their screen.

Back