iPhone 4 - UPDATE: Signal Issues

I see o2 have an early upgrade offer. you only have to pay £20 per month of your remainding contract to upgrade so if you have 12 months left you pay £240 for the upgrade then start your new 18/24 month contract.
Presently the 3GS is worth £235 when recyled on one of the many schemes so doesnt seem so bad as an early upgrade.
Thats they way I read it on the O2 site anyway.

yeh, £160 for me (and £245 for my 3gs 32gb)

still gonna see what iOS 4 is like before worrying about upgrading the hardware - 3gs is good enough :)

Whats the difference between sim free and just PAYG?

Sim free will not be locked to a particular network, whereas PAYG will be.

Therefore in theory because the network will be restricting your access, they will be subsidising some of the cost of the phone and it should (theoretically) be cheaper than sim free.

All a little bit pointless going sim free unless you a) already have a micro sim or b) use multiple networks. I'm trying to find orange PAYG prices personally as this should be best for me, but either way, I have to wait until the white one is released as I aint having black :(

If the O2 prices are similar to the Vodaphone ones, I'll be a happy bunny :D

As I discovered earlier in this thread, the O2 PAYG price for the 3GS was about £50 more than buying SIM free from Apple, for some odd reason. I don't think you're going to save much, if any, by waiting to get it on PAYG from the carriers.

Well I've preordered mine for collection, not sure if I'm buying PAYG and sticking with my simplicity plan or going for a new 2 year contract as the prices still aren't really that clear...

I've been thinking more and more about this...

Apart from the screen, different look and slightly (we'll see for sure) better battery life I can't see any reason to spend £100's to upgrade to the new phone and be stung on a new tarrif, or spend even more on PAYG handset to stay on mine.

From what I can read there is very little of the iOS4 system that won't work on the 3GS so I'm just going to update (as it's free) and see how I get on.

I've only got 6 months to wait so even then I may just stick it out till this time next year when they launch the new iPhone5...?

DB

Apart from the screen, different look and slightly (we'll see for sure) better battery life I can't see any reason to spend £100's to upgrade to the new phone and be stung on a new tarrif, or spend even more on PAYG handset to stay on mine.

From what I can read there is very little of the iOS4 system that won't work on the 3GS so I'm just going to update (as it's free) and see how I get on.

I've only got 6 months to wait so even then I may just stick it out till this time next year when they launch the new iPhone5...?

DB

my sentiments exactly too! I'm waiting for iphone 5

Well I own a 3 year old Nokia normal phone so this upgrade to the iPhone 4 is good for me :D

Just pre-ordered the 32gb version with Apple and will swap my O2 plan to the £20 12 month simplicity, unless the price of the phone on the 24 month £35 contract makes it cheaper over that 2 year period compared to simplicity if kept for 2 years (means the phone will have to be £239 or less). In which case I'll cancel the Apple order.

Over to you O2...

It does indeed use them.

You can cut down the old sim card to fit in it as a micro sim....

Or apply for a free micro sim!

:LOL: Yep I use it heavily too...

I am hoping they will not ammend the contract terms of existing tarriffs.... All this capping has probably put a stop to me getting the new one...

Edit: if you are getting the new one the 500mb per month cap will be tough!

I could live with 500mb if I stopped streaming media.

Just seems such a retrograde step. How are we ever going to use video calling with a 500mb cap. the technology is going one way and the networks the other.

It's interesting that there isn't an option for heavy users, they clearly just want to stop streaming altogether. iplayer on the move? Nope. Internet radio? Nope. Video calling? Nope. Surely this is the stuff smart phones are made for.

I can't get my head around it either...?

I think the O2 network has taken such a battering over the past couple of years with 'super' smartphones out there that they literally cannot cope with the huge data demands of users nowadays. They all need to sort themselves out as they've been taking huge sums of money from customers and riding the gravy train for too long - consumers are wising up to the fact most networks can't handle their requirements (especially with the rise of mobile broadband and dongles) and it's quite simple - they'll revolt, sooner or later!

Everytime my iPhone picks up BT Openzone it just stops downloading - even the 'free' broadband O2 offer with their contracts simply isn't up to the job of catering for the market.

Now pretty much every UK provider has the iPhone (I see Virgin are now touting for business) hopefully the ones that will succeed are the ones who invest in their network and technology rather than those who rest on their laurels and screw the consumer?

DB

I could live with 500mb if I stopped streaming media.

Just seems such a retrograde step. How are we ever going to use video calling with a 500mb cap. the technology is going one way and the networks the other.

It's interesting that there isn't an option for heavy users, they clearly just want to stop streaming altogether. iplayer on the move? Nope. Internet radio? Nope. Video calling? Nope. Surely this is the stuff smart phones are made for.

video calling is only via wifi at the moment anyway so the data limit wont affect that

Agreed. I hope this is just a intermediate step while they all get there networks sorted. Although I have to say I don't really know what is required to boost the capacity of a 3G network. It's easy with broadband, more/better cables.

o2 just killed their unlimited internet offering - can't see them as a viable option any more. Their data rates are horrible from what i can see.

Hi guys

I'm wanting to get the iPhone 4 as well but can't decide whether to buy the handset or on contract. Does anybody know if bought on contract, can the phone be officially unlocked to accept any network sim......like they do at the moment with the 3G?

Also.......does anybody know if the front facing camera can be used for video conferencing over MSN/Skype type apps over air, or is it literally only restricted to using that Facetime app over Wifi?

Orange have unveiled their pricing here - http://iphone.orange.co.uk/plans/

Unlimited data remains, but the handset prices are a bit steep!!

EDIT - PAYG handset prices are cheaper than the Apple Store, but with the downside that the handset will be locked to Orange.

Last edited:

EDIT - PAYG handset prices are cheaper than the Apple Store, but with the downside that the handset will be locked to Orange.

Yeah the handset prices are a bit steap. Even on the contract options.

They say unlimited mobile internet, however the * tells a different story and it's limited to fair usage limit of 750MB per month!

DB

Or apply for a free micro sim!

O2 don't know / have the ability to order a micro sim, unless you order an iPhone 4 at the moment :LOL:

I rang them up today to ask how I can get a micro sim now, ready for when my sim free iPhone from Apple turns up, and she couldn't do it, basically if the instructions aren't on the website they don't know :LOL:

Scissors at the ready! :D

Already cut my full size sim down from the 3Gs and using it in the iPad, and have an adaptor to use it in the iPhone, but have a separate Sim for that too anyway as I use it as my work phone with their Sim.

Happy Days

So do we know what feature of iOS4 will work on the iPhone 3GS yet? I'm wondering whether the bluetooth keyboard feature will work, we'll get folders and wallpapers etc?

I can only see reference to multitasking not working on original iPhones and 3G's.

Also, I see Apple have removed all reference to iOS4 being available for download for iPhone customers on the 19th June which was originally announced at WWDC.

DB

I have the beta and confirm folders, wallpapers, multitasking, extra ipod controls.

Will check BT keyboard now.

Any others you want checking?

Think that's everything that interests me.

Is the Beta working well - no issues yet as I believe it's the golden master?

Any other bits and pieces that will revolutionise my life?

DB

GM is very stable (had it for a week ish and no falling over).

Folders are uber cool. Erm - supports two push/exchange accounts....

Double click home opens multitasking panel across bottom and you get an acess to ipod controls whatever app you are in....

Erm..... cant think of anything else not mentioned!

Testing BT Keyboard now.

Keyboard Confirmed!!

It works with 3GS on OS4 GM!

Cheers for the headsup David! (y)

Keyboard Confirmed!!

It works with 3GS on OS4 GM!

Cheers for the headsup David! (y)

Good news - makes the new iPhone4 even more pointless to me...

Saved myself a few hundred £££!!!

DB

Yep - preddy cool.

Brightness/volume/track skip buttons all work.

Testing using the 2008ish wireless keyboard - A1255

DB

I think I'm in on this as well. It's just not worth the cash. I've had my 32GB 3GS for a year now and it still does everything I want it to. The up in resolution will be hardly noticable, I dont struggle to read the screen. Movies will require a lot more space to make use of the pixels, streamed iplayer/tv catchup will have the same resolution... Up in battery would be nice but again not worth it, it's something I learnt to cope with, charger in the office, one at home and one in the car. Gyro/Camera/video calling are all a non-starter as well.

I had to write all this just to convince myself!

On something different, does anyone lese think the 2011 will be the 4GS and then maybe a 5 in 2012.

Back