Is this forum over moderated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't I put 'staff members' on my ignore list? :D

Are those that are in receipt of warning points aware of them?

Judging by the Abusive PM's that I regularly get from persons who have been given the occasional point on their licence, i'd say that's a yes...

(though of course, it probably relies on the person having a valid email address and actually checking their messages...)

Last edited:
(though of course, it probably relies on the person having a valid email address and actually checking their messages...)
Now there's a timely reminder, just realised my forum profile uses an email address I no longer have control over..

Why can't I put 'staff members' on my ignore list? :D

I'm assuming because having every member able to ignore all the mods would be a pretty dumb idea. :LOL:

Perhaps a single day a year....Purge style :LOL:

Now there's a timely reminder, just realised my forum profile uses an email address I no longer have control over..

oh, now there's a thing... according to the rules you should have a valid email address at all times... now, I COULD give you a 1 point warning for that, and then you'd be able to report back as to how you were notified of getting it :LOL:

Thing is, I don't really have the heart to do that, because, well - this place isn't really all that over-moderated... (and as if by magic...we're back on topic...)

Last edited:
oh, now there's a thing... according to the rules you should have a valid email address at all times... now, I COULD give you a 1 point warning for that, and then you'd be able to report back as to how you were notified of getting it :LOL:

Thing is, I don't really have the heart to do that, because, well - this place isn't really all that over-moderated... (and as if by magic...we're back on topic...)

I see what you did there........ :notworthy:

I didn't realise members were also able to see warning points given? How do you know that people were getting away with things? You don't. I was not singling anyone out at all. But feel free to keep making assumptions.

Because the mods were clearly happy then to publicly berate certain members while appearing to give other members free reign, as i said, un-even moderation. And here's another "assumption", maybe theyre too worried about losing advertising revenue if they start to blacklist advertisers. Who knows.

Is it possible for members to view their own points (if they have any)?

I am perfectly even with my moderation thank you. I have no bias whether they are an advertiser or not. If they are out of line on the forum then I will moderate all. I'm not happy about having to berate people. It's not what this forum should be about. The constant bickering on here is not something we enjoy seeing. And something I always say to everyone. You clearly don't see how anything is fully moderated so you have no way of knowing how things are moderated.

fine by me but you also need to include

"peter lik"
"pretty pictures"
and "just don't get it"

Can we add the list
  • "Fairy", and
  • "Dreamy"
As general flags to threads that may require "be good, play nice" attention...

There's a bit in the rules that is in large print (for the visually impaired perhaps ;)) that reads

Moderating decisions are not up for public discussion or debate.

I would assume that negative as well as positive moderating decisions are covered by this (i.e. the decision not to publically act as well as to take a visible to all action)? If so, technically all discussion of individual cases should be via PM with the mods.

Are those that are in receipt of warning points aware of them?

yes - you get an automated pm which looks like this

big soft moose,

Your actions in this message [message in question deleted but its a link to your offending post] (and maybe others) are not appropriate. We cannot allow users to be rude, impolite, deliberately argumentative or derisory towards another member. This does not follow our forum ethos. Please refrain from posting in such a tone or manner, and remember that there is another person at the other end of your message.
Please treat them with the respect they deserve.

Your message may have been removed or altered, and your account's access may be limited based on these actions. Please keep this in mind when posting or using our site.

Please note that this message is a pre-written default, sent when a warning is given.

if you aren't an imbecile on receiving that you then wind your neck in and cease acting like a penis - the alternate route is to have a collossal dummy spit and throw all your toys on the floor ... that way usually ends in a ban

Can we add the list
  • "Fairy", and
  • "Dreamy"
As general flags to threads that may require "be good, play nice" attention...

not really - no one in that thread is being nasty its just a bunch of professionals telling it like it is (which is kind of what the biz forum is for)

There's a bit in the rules that is in large print (for the visually impaired perhaps ;)) that reads

Moderating decisions are not up for public discussion or debate.

I would assume that negative as well as positive moderating decisions are covered by this (i.e. the decision not to publically act as well as to take a visible to all action)? If so, technically all discussion of individual cases should be via PM with the mods.

True Stephen, very true... however, it would make the whole of this thread "off limits" - so - it would appear that in this particular thread the staff have employed a couple of other points from the rules...

• Common sense - Apply it, use it, and be guided by it. *
and our standard "get out of Jail Free Card"

Please note : The spirit of the rules will always overrule the literal wording.

* please note, our usual service will probably resume at some point, probably just after someone decides to completely abuse our good nature ;)

So the OP of the thread in question requested it to be closed? OK... I'm missing something aren't I.... is the big debate about whether a mod should sanction this request? i.e. All debate should be allowed even when it gets heated (providing people remain within the rules).

It's not over moderated in my opinion.... It's moderated fairly, and with minimal consumption of Jaffa cakes makes it a pretty efficient machine.

Not possible!

It's just a missing word - insert "war" after civil :D.

cliktor - I think the fact that it was requested to be locked was missed in all the other words....

cliktor - I think the fact that it was requested to be locked was missed in all the other words....

the issue appears to be whether david was treated fairly - but as per usual its not david (or whoever) getting upset about it its third parties getting upset on behalf of the protagonist

From my perspective the moderation is absolutely fine. Some folks just get a bit angry when behind a keyboard and screen.

Something like:

-MY OPINION IS NOT AN 'OPINION'. IT IS FACT! AGREE OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES OF MY RANT!

However too often the pro art position boils down to "I'm right and you're wrong because i'm an expert and you're not", w
It reminds me of that classic line from "Matilda" Harry Wormwood: ( Danny DeVito) to Matilda ( Mara Wilson)
Listen, you little wiseacre: I'm smart, you're dumb; I'm big, you're little; I'm right, you're wrong, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I wasn't aware this was a meme thread...

Herding cats, yes it feels like it sometimes ;)

I'm beginning to feel a bit guilty starting this thread. In my defence
Still 8 pages a personal record.:):)
Nothing to feel guilty about its spawned a good discussion (y)

Judging by the Abusive PM's that I regularly get from persons who have been given the occasional point on their licence, i'd say that's a yes...
Moose covered that, but of course if its a ban they won't see their PM's until after the fact ;)

Is it possible for members to view their own points (if they have any)?
I think so, hang on I'll give you a couple, let me know :p

From my perspective the moderation is absolutely fine. Some folks just get a bit angry when behind a keyboard and screen.

Something like:

-MY OPINION IS NOT AN 'OPINION'. IT IS FACT! AGREE OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES OF MY RANT!

You missed my favourite one..

"End of!!".

:D

Edit: I was beginning to think the oaf/troll situation was a permanent and accepted feature but looking through the Mod and Admin responses to this thread is very encouraging.

Last edited:
Out of interest, how long do `points` stay on our license/posting permit? :angelic:

Out of interest, how long do `points` stay on our license/posting permit? :angelic:
As long as we want them too :D
You don't expect us to give away all our secrets do you? :p
But Generally 3 months

Points win prizes... I'd expect a sunny place if I was to get a 'holiday' :D

Just a thought, re `points`. Could it be a good idea (& easy to do) to implement an automated %, in a similar way to The Classified %. At least folk could see if they were getting close to, err ...... taking a break.

Just a thought, re `points`. Could it be a good idea (& easy to do) to implement an automated %, in a similar way to The Classified %. At least folk could see if they were getting close to, err ...... taking a break.
TBH I thought people could see their own points? When you click on your profile how many tabs do you see?

There are 6 tabs;
Same as yours Marc, but without the usernotes.

Presumably I don't have any warning points then :angelic: (although I did receive a warning email a week or so ago, hence asking how long `points` stayed active)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back