weekly Ivan Dobski's 52 - Week 7: Root (Page 3, added 18th)

Hi, you need to add exposure compensation to try and achieve the high key lighting you're after, but difficult when shooting a white subject too! The best tip is to take a shot, add exposure compensation in increments until you get the desired effect!

I like you're idea here but agree that it is a little wonky. By cropping out some of the space to the right you're also cropping out some of the slightly grey background.

I don't know why I thought of doing white on white tbh. It was obviously going to be difficult to get the bright background whilst not over-exposing the cup - if I'd been asked I would have said exactly the same thing but whilst playing around I didn't even think about it.

I'll add this to the reshoot list as well!

Thanks to the guys who commented on my distinctly lacklustre "Sweet" shot, it bored me let alone anyone else!

Right, here we have an unimaginative take on the theme but I wanted another go at the white background which didn't work out so well for Sweet. Imho it looks a lot better. The image has been "auto-corrected" in PSE, not a masterpiece of pp'ing but a lot more than my shots normally get!

Feedback much appreciated.

6819169095_56f3c07aa5_b.jpg

Well done on the background, much improved (y)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll concentrate on the basics a bit more for the next few shots. That sweet shot is embarassingly bad!

(not inc Industrial, that's going to have to be snatched phone shot sadly)

And as promised here we have my snatched phone shot. I'm using this as a filler and I'll try for a better version in my reshoots.

6857942945_54a8b8d65c_b.jpg

Apologies to anyone who's wasted seconds of their life looking at this picture...

Hi Ya

Sweet.....has the makings of a good shot....straighten it , crop in tighter & it's about there . Backgrounds are a pain :LOL:

2nd time I've done this tonight....you've got Edit ticked so had a 2 min play in PSE8...not fantastic but sometimes seeing is easier than reading how to edit ....obviously I'll take it down if you prefer :

Edit-Not_mine.jpg

Secure....BG has worked this time , love the gold tones , the angle & well , all of it really (y)

Last edited:
That's transformed it - you've done a really good job there to be fair, much appreciated.

My PP'ing skills are non-existant so I tend not to bother but if my Sweet shot can be rescued then it's def something I need to get to grips with!

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Back