weekly Jakeblu's 52 for 2016 Week 16 Vast added

Ok I hope thats ok posting three images at once. I know they're not great but I didn't want to fall too far behind, so just tried to fill the brief as best I could. I will try and get miniature up later

I really like all the detail and textures in Old,
and the imaginative Captured.

Off to a flying start there Steve (y)

Ok I hope thats ok posting three images at once.
Not a problem(y)

Hi
Good reflection in 'old', nice detail and textures in 'metal' and 'captive'.

Wonders if we are related?:thinking:

Well done on the catch-up. Three good ones to kick off with. Old - like the b&w treatment of and reflection. Like the texture and colour of the rust for Metal. Thankfully you chose "Trapped Air" as a caption for Captured - trapped wind would have conjured all sorts of unfortunate imagery. Very inventive take on the theme. :clap:

No1 old is a lovely shot I like the reflection and tones spot on, Metal nice shot for the theme and Captive works for me I like the large brick work on the right hand side nice shot.(y)

Wow, what a lot of encouragement, thanks everyone.
Captive - nice take on the theme, very different :)

I really like all the detail and textures in Old,
and the imaginative Captured.

Off to a flying start there Steve (y)
Cheers Chris
I agree with Cobra off to a great start with the challenge.

thanks (y)

Hi
Good reflection in 'old', nice detail and textures in 'metal' and 'captive'.

Wonders if we are related?:thinking:
Thanks for your comments, not sure about the related though :thinking:.

Hi there ....all excellent choices for the themes, but I love your shot for Old, it looks fabulous full screen on my ipad, so much detail when you zoom in, I really like it :clap:
Thanks Suzie
Well done on the catch-up. Three good ones to kick off with. Old - like the b&w treatment of and reflection. Like the texture and colour of the rust for Metal. Thankfully you chose "Trapped Air" as a caption for Captured - trapped wind would have conjured all sorts of unfortunate imagery. Very inventive take on the theme. :clap:

Cheers Carl, strangely enough I did title it trapped wind at first :) but thought better of it.

Love that padlock ... what a find.

Cheers David. Wasn't sure about the padlock seemed a popular subject but O liked the rust and pitted metal

It looks a bit wonky but I'm really liking the rusty lock photo.

Where is "old"? It looks vaguely familiar...

Thanks Chris for you comments. The old is a building by the side of the Leeds and Liverpool canal in Horsforth Leeds

No1 old is a lovely shot I like the reflection and tones spot on, Metal nice shot for the theme and Captive works for me I like the large brick work on the right hand side nice shot.(y)

Cheers Michael, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

That was a great/quick start Steve, and 3 really good images... the first one is wonderful stands out loads for me, Such a lovely old building tucked away there, and the reflection in the water is dreamy - Super start (y)
Thanks DK, its a great old building, very photogenic, and I was lucky on the day the canal was still.

Last edited:
Week 3 Miniature

Ok heres my effort for miniature, didn't quite work out as well as I had hoped by still I feel it fits the brief pretty well

miniature by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hey Steve. Nice choice - sharp focus and like the composition with the bg giving subtle size contrast.

What a grate image Steve ( sorry :coat: )
Nice and sharp ( sorry again :D ) great use of DoF too (y)

Good catch up there Steve.
Old - I really like that shot. The processing suits it well and the reflection is fantastic.
Metal - This could also have doubled for Old. Has someone taken a bolt cropper to the shackle? You've captured the texture of the rust well on the post and shackle, but the lock body itself feels a little soft to my eyes.
Captured - Weakest of the first three, but fits the theme and nicely sharp.
Miniature - Works nicely in my mind. Oddly it puts me in mind of the Shard.

My you've been busy
Old - Great picture I like the reflection in the water and it is definitely old my favorite of your shots so far
Metal - strong colours and fits theme I agree this could have been an old shot too.
Captive - It certainly fits the theme but holds no interest for me.
Miniature - Grate picture for the theme (sorry couldn't resist)

Nice catch up Steve.
That padlock is fabulous.

That's an impressive catch up!

Old - Lots of detail and I like the reflection but feel that the building is a bit lost in the background (although that is also partly what shows it as old).
Metal - My favourite of your catch up shots. Nice detail and texture in the chain, post and padlock.
Captured - Very clever idea for the theme.
Miniature - Works for me, the OOF grater is a clever way of showing scale.

Hi Jake, nice one for miniature - sense of scale and perspective/DOF works well in combination. You've also handled the lighting and highlights very well. Only minor comment would be the boundary between worksurface and wall jumps out at me a bit, as does the second white line on the red wall - but otherwise very good shot for that theme!

Week 4 Happy

DSCF8200 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Ok my take of happy, I suppose smile might be a better brief but I think its close enough :)

Last edited:
That is a real fun take on the theme Steve. Love the composition and the colours are fantastic against that plain white bg.

Week 5 Abandoned

Saw this deflated ball out walking the dog a few weeks ago, she nabbed the ball and brought it home. It seemed like a good shot for abandoned so took it back out today for this shot.

DSCF8216 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great find - an unfair advantage having a helper find you suitable props. Obviously well trained. Great texture on the ball itself and nicely composed to show it in it's environment. Well taken

Loving Happy nice bright. Like the composition in abandoned.

Gaz

Really nice sharp shot, very nice :)

Miniature - a nice sharp shot that works nicely for the theme.

Hi there, I like this idea, I think it would maybe stand out more on a dark background, but it has excellent dof and it fits the theme really well.

Hey Steve. Nice choice - sharp focus and like the composition with the bg giving subtle size contrast.

Well it works for me!

What a grate image Steve ( sorry :coat: )
Nice and sharp ( sorry again :D ) great use of DoF too (y)

Good catch up there Steve.
Old - I really like that shot. The processing suits it well and the reflection is fantastic.
Metal - This could also have doubled for Old. Has someone taken a bolt cropper to the shackle? You've captured the texture of the rust well on the post and shackle, but the lock body itself feels a little soft to my eyes.
Captured - Weakest of the first three, but fits the theme and nicely sharp.
Miniature - Works nicely in my mind. Oddly it puts me in mind of the Shard.

My you've been busy
Old - Great picture I like the reflection in the water and it is definitely old my favorite of your shots so far
Metal - strong colours and fits theme I agree this could have been an old shot too.
Captive - It certainly fits the theme but holds no interest for me.
Miniature - Grate picture for the theme (sorry couldn't resist)

Nice catch up Steve.
That padlock is fabulous.

That's an impressive catch up!

Old - Lots of detail and I like the reflection but feel that the building is a bit lost in the background (although that is also partly what shows it as old).
Metal - My favourite of your catch up shots. Nice detail and texture in the chain, post and padlock.
Captured - Very clever idea for the theme.
Miniature - Works for me, the OOF grater is a clever way of showing scale.

Hi Jake, nice one for miniature - sense of scale and perspective/DOF works well in combination. You've also handled the lighting and highlights very well. Only minor comment would be the boundary between worksurface and wall jumps out at me a bit, as does the second white line on the red wall - but otherwise very good shot for that theme!

I like that very imaginative love the colours

It does look very happy ....an original idea and I like the feathery hair.

Happy - nicely done, like the bright colours.

That is a real fun take on the theme Steve. Love the composition and the colours are fantastic against that plain white bg.

Loving Happy nice bright. Like the composition in abandoned.

Gaz

Thanks everybody for the comments. Glad I've caught up

Miniature - a nice sharp shot that works nicely and good dof, perfect for the theme

Happy - fantastic idea for the theme, good colour and lighting.

Abandoned - Love the B&W and the dof is spot on, good idea too

Abandoned - Nice take on the theme I really like the B&W conversion nice DOF too and composition with the ball being off centre works brilliantly

Back