weekly Kdot's 52 (2012) : Industry Added (Secure on hold)

Name
Keri
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all.

One or two 09ers may remember me, as I did a partial 52s in 2009 (end) and 2010 (beginning).

I appreciate I am a little late to the party, but I'm in desperate need of inspiration, so am raising this thread as motivation to get my backside in gear, in a nutshell!

I had my idea for Week 1 all sorted, but technical and logistical issues (of the subject matter) put a kybosh to that at the last minute - hopefully only temporarily - so will keep that one on hold and move straight on to Week 2.

I won't comment on anyone else's thread until I have my shot worked out, but I'll try and catch up on a few 09er threads in the meantime.

Week 1 : Direction - post 7
Week 2 : Fear - not posted...yet
Week 3 : Sigh - post 7
Week 4 : Sweet - post 9
Week 5 : Secure- not posted...yet
Week 6 : Industry - post 17

Last edited:
Plenty of time to catch up, look forward to seeing your images.

Hi Keri, great to hear from you again and of course you are remembered.

Looking forward to seeing your images :)

Thanks for the welcome back! :geek:

I'm still way off pace and playing catch-up, but slowly getting back in the swing of things.

Week 1: Direction
Had an idea for this shot as I have been building up a new (road) bicycle recently...but then had to send the frame back and get a replacement (all in the interested of saving money), hence the delay.

Don't think the shot came out quite as well as I had in my head, and I should have taken more time in the set up (i.e. more than 10 seconds). Used the Canon 85mm at f1.8 and focussed on the handlebar stem as the point of control (for direction). I think the framing is okay, but the saddle is off-centre. :bang:

6707656349_39ca40d105_z.jpg

Week 2: Fear
I have 2 ideas for this. One is a proper shot, if it comes out okay, the other is a cop out! Watch this space...!

Week 3: Sigh
Took my camera along to play snooker last night with Kennysarmy. Although this was a staged setup at the end, it is fairly indicative of the standard of play! In hindsight, maybe taking a picture of the white ball in the pocket may have been more apt!!! :thinking:

Anyway, the shot was taken in Manual mode, with a deliberately high ISO so that I could get a dark, grainy shot, to mimic the atmosphere of the snooker hall. Again, used the Canon 85mm at f1.8 to try to highlight the focus on the black ball not dropping into the pocket (...sigh). I deliberately left the chalk on the left hand cushion to add to the composition and (hopefully) dof. Quite pleased with the catch lights (in the black ball), and I don't think I'm reflected in there!

6725578503_3068e02542_z.jpg

Enjoy...comments welcome.

I've got a busy week on now, so decided to get something up for Sweet tonight, and if I get the chance to do what I originally planned, which is a bit more involved, I will.

Not very original, and a bit of a cop out, but had some fun playing with the lighting, and shutter speeds.

6751083759_462a696070_z.jpg

This was f13 for 1 second, with a lamp pointed from top left of shot, hence the shadow, which I deliberately wanted in shot. Background is simply a sheet of white A4 paper, on a window sill.

I did some prelim shots for Plan B, and had some difficulty in maintaining the lighting across shots at such short focal lengths. Hmmm...:thinking:

Last edited:
Hi Kerri

quick round up....

Direction - really nice shot and B&W for me a shame the seat is clipped, apart from that really like it

Sigh - a nice shot, at first I wondered whether a bit of motion on the white was needed, but after deliberation think you have the best shot :)

Sweet - Nom Nom Nom :drool:

Good luck with the rest of your challenge... look forward to seeing your next shots :)

Doesn't look like a cop-out to me, looks an excellent photo, nicely composed and well taken (y)

Hi,

Better late than never i suppose haha, i was also late and completely new to this. For me i prefer the bike in direction shot.

Matt

Week one is a great shot and really suits black and white. As said, a slight shame the seat is clipped but a great effort all the same :)

Haven't had the chance to come up with a good 'Secure' yet, but I'll get to that shortly. In the meantime, here's my daughter, being industrious, doing her homework.

Took several shots and decided on this one, for good or for bad! Had to consider the composition/crop, whether to include eye contact, colour or b&w, DoF, etc.

Decided on this after pp, hope you like it.

6822221969_fdf5a90579_z.jpg

Went for the border, as it matches her hair colour, before going monochrome!

P.S. Thanks for comments above - glad they haven't come across as 'snapshots', as some of them have been rushed. Will review appropriate threads when I get a minute spare. :)

Last edited:
I like that interpretation, I guess we'll se a few along those lines ... my only bugbear is the bit of curl cut off at the top.

sorry i must have missed you on my travels.

Direction. great DoF, love the mono. would have been bette rif you hadn't cropped part of the seat off.
Sigh. i know that sigh only too well and again good DoF.
Sweet. what can i say ............ give me that cup cake.
Industry. a great view on the theme. like the fame.

Hi Keri - catch up time for me! You're on my subscribed list now, so shouldn't get so far behind!

Direction: I hadn't noticed the saddle until someone commented! I love the dof and it feels as though the bike knows where it's going. Good take on the theme.

Sigh: Set up or not - it works. The high ISO has created just the right atmosphere - nice shot in every way!

Sweet: I'm surprised this lasted long enough to get its photo taken - yum, yum! Good detail - I like the lighting and the contrast between the butter cream icing and the chocolate star.

Secure: Lovely shot. Nice crisp conversion. I think I'd have cropped just a little tighter to lose the space above her head, but otherwise very nice. She's clearly doing her maths homework - so perhaps that will lead to a Secure future for her! (y) :)

Jean

Another I've missed...

Direction - very nice pic but not sure of link to theme. Could be improved with a tweak of the saddle snd the removal of the light/comuter bracket.

Sigh - good idea and captures snooker hall atmosphere nicely.

Sweet - excellent imo. Bright background and a sharp, contrasting subject which hits the theme nicely.

Hi Keri
trying to catch up and you have gone under the radar!.:D
Direction - like mono and composition. Ok the saddle is slightly wonky but that is a small detail which may stick with you, particularly as you spotted it yourself
sigh - quite a nice photo but doesn't do much for me i'm afraid. sorry
Sweet - v good lighting, shadow, focus. Nice pic(y)
Industry - one of the very few to have included a person in their shot and I think that it works well. May be just a wee bit tightly cropped:thinking:

Back