Lake District WEEKEND Meet - RESPONSES NEEDED

Which weekend would you prefer

• Weekend commencing Friday 2nd October

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Weekend commencing Friday 9th October

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Errr - how do we share though? I (obviously) don't have a scanner etc. Maybe I can shoot digital as a back-up ;)

Take digital shots of your negatives then colour them in using Microsoft Paint. That's how I've been doing it, which is why it takes me so long to upload anything. :naughty:

For me, and I don't think I'm alone on this, it's not about the final image. It's simply the fact I enjoy the process of using film more than digital. I don't really know why but I feel far more engaged with the final image from film.

Now THIS I fully understand :)

Dave

Take digital shots of your negatives then colour them in using Microsoft Paint. That's how I've been doing it, which is why it takes me so long to upload anything. :naughty:
At least you're using modern méthods.....i'm still on with using à Kodak soluble crayon outfit from the 1930's....:D

I know you say your not being funny (and I can believe that) but if you don't shoot film, don't see the point of it, don't think that mountain photography is worth it (Joe Cornish seems to think it is) and don't climb hills then I'm not sure why you want to come along.
Now I'm not being funny either...... really I'm not.

@DG Phototraining

Last edited:
I know you say your not being funny (and I can believe that) but if you don't shoot film, don't see the point of it, don't think that mountain photography is worth it (Joe Cornish seems to think it is) and don't climb hills then I'm not sure why you want to come along.
Now I'm not being funny either...... really I'm not.

@DG Phototraining

And I believe that too :)

I've climbed a few mountains in France, Italy and the Lakes - and I've shot images on film (cos that's all there was then) at each of them - but the photos I love the most were all taken at lake shore level (and yes on film too)

High up is amazing, but often doesn't translate into a great image for me

Film I 'get' - but film processed as a scanned image I really can't understand, to me you;re just creating a digital image by another means; and something that can probably be done by digital in the first place

Joe Cornish I know personally, I got him to present to 150 peeps in Barnsley a few years back, he then shot on 5x4" but now does digital courses - kinda says it all

Dave

I've climbed a few mountains in France, Italy and the Lakes - and I've shot images on film (cos that's all there was then) at each of them - but the photos I love the most were all taken at lake shore level (and yes on film too)

Film I 'get' - but film processed as a scanned image I really can't understand, to me you;re just creating a digital image by another means; and something that can probably be done by digital in the first place

Joe Cornish I know personally, I got him to present to 150 peeps in Barnsley a few years back, he then shot on 5x4" but now does digital courses - kinda says it all

Dave

Well now... see, I started by saying I was NOT going to do the whole processing bit, it was just slowed down process of using film again I enjoyed... yeah well, that lasted a few weeks, I now do my own black and white and scan them myself, and as I LOVE portra in particular as a colour film, you can bet your ass by next year I will be deving that too, even though I keep saying I wont!! Ultimately the whole digital part is simply to share with the world, because as you said, you can't upload a neg or slide. For me, the only digital processing on most of them is cleaning up any marks or dust from the scanning process and resizing for web. I generally want them to be as is. My plan is to also print a lot more, particularly the MF stuff, once I have stopped making cock ups with half of every roll :LOL:

edit: I dont do hills either :D Andy has promised a gentle one for me

Last edited:

Dave

Horses for courses I suppose. For me the only reason I can drag my weary old bones up a hill is so I can take shots from up there..... As Simon said a few posts back, shooting film isn't about the result, its about the process. with digital I know I can go out and get good shots but I don't really enjoy it, with film I really love the whole thing from loading the film, finding the shot, taking it, devving the roll and scanning and post processing. I agree that often high up doesn't necessarily mean a great shot but the ones that work, really work, well for me anyway.
Anyhow, film or digital doesn't really matter, it's all about enjoying whichever you choose to use.(y)

Andy

The whole 'oh, why take a film shot and turn it into digital' argument always escapes me and comes across a little ill thought out. Do all digital sensors behave the same? No, of course they don't. Does scanning somehow remove all the characteristics of the film at the time of shooting, somehow suggesting the scanner was there at the time? No, of course it doesn't. A scanned image is the convolution of the film response to the scene and the scanner response to the film; the scanner being vaguely consistent does capture the characteristics of the film - an aspect the 'turning film into digital' brigade seemingly willfully forget. Frankly, I spend most of my time trying to correct for the shoddy performance of the digital conversion to try and make it look like the film, not processing with every tool/action available to me. Ultimately shoot what you want, but at least think about the arguments before making them.

On a personal level, I find the outcome and process of purely digital shooting to be quite puerile, unchallenging, impersonal, disconnecting and boring. :D

Last edited:
Besides all of the above, he shoots with a 200mp sensor and a camera with built in tilt, shift, rise and swings...

Students eh....always organiséd :p :D

I wonder what the local plod are gunna think of all these odd looking flimies stood stranded at the roadside in Penrith :D

I'm incredibly well organised, hence why I'm blagging a lift 3 months and 6 days in advance :D

Having read the whole 5 pages in one go, I kind of lost my way a bit. Could someone clarify...
Is this a film-only (i.e. no digital cams) meet?
Is it fully booked?
What is the actual full cost?

Having read the whole 5 pages in one go, I kind of lost my way a bit. Could someone clarify...
Is this a film-only (i.e. no digital cams) meet?
Is it fully booked?
What is the actual full cost?

Hi Steve. Its not just a filmie thing but to be honest I think we are now at full capacity. It isn't just about the bedrooms, the lounge isn't massive and there are only 5 shower rooms... and 2 of those are outside :eek: So I think I'm going to draw the line here and say we are fully booked. Sorry if it disappoints anyone but I'm sure we will do more if everything goes well.

Andy

I may pop along though I'll make my own separate sleeping arrangements to avoid further complicating that part of the trip. Nearer the time, if I'm still a "Yes", I'll reach out to one or more of you for mobile nos despite the risk of patchy signals in the many valleys

If, like John, anyone wants to sort out their own accommodation and joins us during the day then they would be more than welcome. Let me know nearer the time and we can swap mobile numbers and let you know where we are going etc.

Cheers

Andy

The whole 'oh, why take a film shot and turn it into digital' argument always escapes me and comes across a little ill thought out. Do all digital sensors behave the same? No, of course they don't. Does scanning somehow remove all the characteristics of the film at the time of shooting, somehow suggesting the scanner was there at the time? No, of course it doesn't. A scanned image is the convolution of the film response to the scene and the scanner response to the film; the scanner being vaguely consistent does capture the characteristics of the film - an aspect the 'turning film into digital' brigade seemingly willfully forget. Frankly, I spend most of my time trying to correct for the shoddy performance of the digital conversion to try and make it look like the film, not processing with every tool/action available to me. Ultimately shoot what you want, but at least think about the arguments before making them.

On a personal level, I find the outcome and process of purely digital shooting to be quite puerile, unchallenging, impersonal, disconnecting and boring. :D

I'm not in that argument - I'm asking if turning a film shot into digital at ASDA to share it online loses some of the look of film, and it sounds like you're saying it does

Shooting film then editing in Photoshop - now that does seem a bit pointless, surely film editing should be in a darkroom

As for this bit... I find the outcome and process of purely digital shooting to be quite puerile, unchallenging, impersonal, disconnecting and boring.I find the outcome and process of purely digital shooting to be quite puerile, unchallenging, impersonal, disconnecting and boring. All I can say is that you're nuts :D

Puerile - really? How about the silliness of traveling for hours and not knowing if you've got a good shot at all. Unchallenging, compared to what? All photographers use metering, not sure where the challenge is there, and as film generally has a wider latitude anyway you can get your exposure very wrong indeed and still get a nice print. Impersonal? Sending film off to a lab isn't impersonal then? Disconnecting? Now you are taking the P - with digital's ability to see, review, change instantly you are totally connected. Boring? If any aspect of creating great images is boring to you then surely you need a new hobby ;)

And before anyone rants back at me please remember I shot film for 25 years or so before shooting digital, digital allows me the freedom to shoot differently and 'develop' my images exactly as I always wanted but couldn't do with film

I don't think there's anything wrong with film btw, its just different. If I shot film at all it'd be on MF or larger - I've always fancied a 645 as being the ideal film size for me; one day maybe it'll happen :) But not yet

Dave

If, like John, anyone wants to sort out their own accommodation and joins us during the day then they would be more than welcome. Let me know nearer the time and we can swap mobile numbers and let you know where we are going etc.

Cheers

Andy

Will do :)

Mine's 07921 724 055 btw

Dave

I'm not in that argument - I'm asking if turning a film shot into digital at ASDA to share it online loses some of the look of film, and it sounds like you're saying it does

Shooting film then editing in Photoshop - now that does seem a bit pointless, surely film editing should be in a darkroom

As for this bit... I find the outcome and process of purely digital shooting to be quite puerile, unchallenging, impersonal, disconnecting and boring.I find the outcome and process of purely digital shooting to be quite puerile, unchallenging, impersonal, disconnecting and boring. All I can say is that you're nuts :D

Puerile - really? How about the silliness of traveling for hours and not knowing if you've got a good shot at all. Unchallenging, compared to what? All photographers use metering, not sure where the challenge is there, and as film generally has a wider latitude anyway you can get your exposure very wrong indeed and still get a nice print. Impersonal? Sending film off to a lab isn't impersonal then? Disconnecting? Now you are taking the P - with digital's ability to see, review, change instantly you are totally connected. Boring? If any aspect of creating great images is boring to you then surely you need a new hobby ;)

And before anyone rants back at me please remember I shot film for 25 years or so before shooting digital, digital allows me the freedom to shoot differently and 'develop' my images exactly as I always wanted but couldn't do with film

I don't think there's anything wrong with film btw, its just different. If I shot film at all it'd be on MF or larger - I've always fancied a 645 as being the ideal film size for me; one day maybe it'll happen :) But not yet

Dave

I believe this is the LAKE DISTRICT WEEKEND MEET thread, not the film versus digital thread so we'll all leave it there and move on I think. ;)

Thanks for the number Dave, loaded into my mobile.

Andy

Hi Steve. Its not just a filmie thing ...

News to me... ;) Can I bring my vast array of digeridoodahs then? :banana::banana::exit:

Actually, I'd suggest adding the word "film" into the thread title, as it IS basically about the filmies meeting, isn't it? Any Lake District meet thread is likely to spur interest from elsewhere; that's fine (aside from the lodge being full), but it really isn't going to make sense for anyone fully digital...

Look, it doesn't matter, all the filmies are corralled in one place and you don't have to talk to anyone you don't want to talk to :). The accommodation is sorted and now as full as I want it to be, we will be off doing lots of lovely things and taking lots of lovely photos, if a few digital cameras appear it won't spoil anything and it might just convert a few.
I can't imagine that it will spoil it for anyone but if it does then I'm sorry, we can't just isolate ourselves away from the rest of the forum, it is an open forum, even the film and conventional section. So ,that's it, no more complaints please as I'm feeling stressed enough at the moment with real life. :eek:

Thank you

Andy

Does anyone shoot slides still ???

I used to like doing so but only had a cheap viewer from Jessops rather than a proper projector, I had a few Cibachrome prints done and they were lovely :)

Dave

EDIT - I just Googled slide films and they are rather expensive aren't they - I don't think I'll bother

Last edited:
Look, it doesn't matter, all the filmies are corralled in one place and you don't have to talk to anyone you don't want to talk to :). The accommodation is sorted and now as full as I want it to be, we will be off doing lots of lovely things and taking lots of lovely photos, if a few digital cameras appear it won't spoil anything and it might just convert a few.
I can't imagine that it will spoil it for anyone but if it does then I'm sorry, we can't just isolate ourselves away from the rest of the forum, it is an open forum, even the film and conventional section. So ,that's it, no more complaints please as I'm feeling stressed enough at the moment with real life. :eek:

Very true and well put. Apologies for raising your stress levels, you and the CMS have my and t'missus's gratitude for all the effort you've put into organising this :)

Does anyone shoot slides still ???

I used to like doing so but only had a cheap viewer from Jessops rather than a proper projector, I had a few Cibachrome prints done and they were lovely :)

Dave

EDIT - I just Googled slide films and they are rather expensive aren't they - I don't think I'll bother

I shoot mainly slide film and am nearly finished putting together a desk side display system which acts as a viewer/phone charger.

I shoot mainly slide film and am nearly finished putting together a desk side display system which acts as a viewer/phone charger.

I used to like Kodachrome 25 and partly as it was developed in with the price - I think they've stopped making it though

What do you use and is developing included? If not, how much is that these days too

Dave

Very true and well put. Apologies for raising your stress levels, you and the CMS have my and t'missus's gratitude for all the effort you've put into organising this :)
Thanks Dean, just a bit stressed at the moment. I'll be fine in a day or two.

I keep trying to shoot slide and seem to mess it up every time.....doh.

As you are talking about Slide film, I just love using this film particularly Velvia 50Asa and sometimes you can be a bit lazy with your approach,as Asha demonstrates here.:D

Shot with Bessa R3a 21mm voigtlander color-skopar and Velvia 50Asa.

Last edited:
I keep trying to shoot slide and seem to mess it up every time.....doh.

From my (admittedly fairly limited) slide days the trick is to do what is now known as ETTR (expose to the right) meaning to make sure you don't clip the highlights. That's fine for landscapes evenly lit but just doesn't work so well on contrasty subjects and of course you can't do that if backlit

Its about learning when to open up a bit or close down a bit from what your meter is telling you - if in doubt though, bracket and takes notes of the exposures to compare later - but as Woodsy says its well worth it as a perfectly exposed slide is a thing of beauty :)

Dave

As you are talking about Slide film, I just love using this film particularly Velvia 50Asa and sometimes you can be a bit lazy with your approach,as Asha demonstrates here.:D

Shot with Bessa R3a 21mm voigtlander color-skopar and Velvia 50Asa.

That aint me.....i was never there.....well, definetly not in that position.:eek:

Be careful Mr Medwaygreen, I have one or two "money shots" of you too! :D

It's actually becoming à relief that you're not going to the Lakes, one less filmie to catch me doing daft things:D

Last edited:
From my (admittedly fairly limited) slide days the trick is to do what is now known as ETTR (expose to the right) meaning to make sure you don't clip the highlights. That's fine for landscapes evenly lit but just doesn't work so well on contrasty subjects and of course you can't do that if backlit

Its about learning when to open up a bit or close down a bit from what your meter is telling you - if in doubt though, bracket and takes notes of the exposures to compare later - but as Woodsy says its well worth it as a perfectly exposed slide is a thing of beauty :)

Dave

You're right, I need to keep trying. It doesn't help when you shoot a roll of Provia 400 thinking its Sensia 100.....:(:)

You're right, I need to keep trying. It doesn't help when you shoot a roll of Provia 400 thinking its Sensia 100.....:(:)

Sorry but - LOL

And yes I've done that before too :D

My old Chinon had a panel in the back where you could tear off the film-box lid and insert it to remind you - clever :)

Dave

@Andysnap monies transferred as requested.

I have train times if any one wants to coordinate closer to the time. I'll get to Penrith at 1750 on Friday night and I must be on the 1645 out of Penrith on the Sunday.

And now for a rant.
I've been watching the trains for the last two weeks waiting for this weekend to open up for booking. They weren't on Friday. This morning I get booked. On the return there were only two trains after 1300 with the reasonably priced tickets, for them to have sold out that quickly on a random weekend in October is pretty good going!!

I was just thinking we should try and organise a group buy of some film from Japan or the states. Though from a cursory glance I couldn't find sheet film for less than EU prices after tax despite the prices on b&h being so cheap.

I was just thinking we should try and organise a group buy of some film from Japan or the states. Though from a cursory glance I couldn't find sheet film for less than EU prices after tax despite the prices on b&h being so cheap.

Steve,are you in the right place with this mate?

I was going to drive but having checked the trains it looks like I can get in to Penrith around 1735 on Friday too so if someone can do a collection from the station I'd appreciate it?

Steve, we can give you a lift if you want, either from Penrith or from Crewe if its easier for you to get to.

Steve,are you in the right place with this mate?

Yeah, figured it would make the exchange of film much simpler. One reason these group buys don't work out is UK postage for the split package is usually ridiculous.

Back