LC2's Many Many (More) Fine Shoehorns in 2018 : Week 52 - Showcase [2018 Complete]

Excellent image Tim, really captures the party feel very well. (y)
The great story by far outweighs the technical shortcomings...few that they are.
I agree with you - it works fine 'as is' - the expressions on their faces are terrific!!
Cheers Gareth. It's not really that good a shot technically, really the only thing right with it is that it's straight...
But yes, it was the expressions and sense of fun that drew me to it and sometimes it's those images that work the best :)

Week 52 - Showcase

Or is that Shoe(horn)case ? ;)
Perhaps a little disappointing that my favourite image from 2018's 52 was actually from Week 1?
Chosen for it's simplicity and singular purpose (and also the awful pun).
I've edited it slightly to brighten up the reflection which was missing from the original shot, and the original re-edit back in Jan didn't show it well at all.

The other images that were in the running were:
Week 18 : Low
Week 23 : Synthetic - Annlee
and Week 40 : Autumn

But no, this is the one...

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 52 : Showcase
by Tim White, on Flickr

Showcase teddy, now that does surprise me as thought you would of picked Autumn as that`s a cracker. Teddy is a good colourful image and nice that the slight reflection grounds it well. Good finish to the 52 (y)
In order of preference, I think it would have been. Gated; Anlee; Low; Autumn.
Autumn does work well, but it was the least fun of the 4 - it was a "I need to get a shot - what can I get" image, taken on my P&S while walking to work.
Yes, it works nicely and I did work on getting the best location / framing and subjects that I reasonably could in the time available, but it wasn't something I could really take time over or really enjoy getting. Maybe that's why it wasn't higher up the list.

Week 52 Showcase. A good image, like the little reflection you have brought out over the original.
My favourite of the four you chose was the Autumn shot.
You put up some really interesting images this year and inspired me with your train shots.
All the best for your 52 in 2019.:)

Ps, thought party was your best image caught the moment so well, perhaps you have started a new genre, street on the station photography!

Last edited:
Excellent image Tim....and I do appreciate a good (or bad!) pun!:D
Brilliant colours and superbly processed....the extra work on those reflections certainly paid off - you've managed to not 'over rescue' them, and improved an already super image.
Well done indeed, a great image to complete your 52.(y)

Looking forward to seeing your awesome shoehorns next year!;)

Hi Tim, the only thing I would change about your Party image is the partial shoulder in the bottom right corner, but I'm guessing if you had waited or moved to exclude that then the faces and expressions of your subjects would have gone so it's a price worth paying. They really do look happy and you sense that they're on their way to celebrate or that they have already started :) Nice sense of the period too, with the uniforms and hair and the Colman's sign in the background. It just works, and it's a really good choice for the theme (y)

I remember your Showcase image and I can't believe it's been almost a year! The edit has brought up the colours very nicely and the clean background and reflection work as well as they did in the original. It's a good idea to shortlist your favourites too. There have been some really excellent images again this year.

Congratulations on finishing again, and I'll be looking forward to your images in 2019!

Well done withthe complete set - and love that bear! Reminds me of the Beanie Bear "Peace" :)

Well done for finishing and good luck with next years, it’s been a pleasure :)

Week 52 Showcase. A good image, like the little reflection you have brought out over the original.
My favourite of the four you chose was the Autumn shot.
You put up some really interesting images this year and inspired me with your train shots.
All the best for your 52 in 2019.:)

Ps, thought party was your best image caught the moment so well, perhaps you have started a new genre, street on the station photography!
Noo, I really don't think it is, in that style "Marked" was better. The railway people shots are more street portraiture than street itself, as in a similar vein to the cosplay photography, I've generally spoken to them first.
Excellent image Tim....and I do appreciate a good (or bad!) pun!:D
Brilliant colours and superbly processed....the extra work on those reflections certainly paid off - you've managed to not 'over rescue' them, and improved an already super image.
Well done indeed, a great image to complete your 52.(y)

Looking forward to seeing your awesome shoehorns next year!;)
I'll let you into a secret. The reflections were added in pp, they did not actually ever exist :)
Liking the party picture Tim, it just works and b+w suits it so well.

Nice teddy!

Well done on finishing Tim!
Cheers Michael. Party is fun, isn't it.
Hi Tim, the only thing I would change about your Party image is the partial shoulder in the bottom right corner, but I'm guessing if you had waited or moved to exclude that then the faces and expressions of your subjects would have gone so it's a price worth paying. They really do look happy and you sense that they're on their way to celebrate or that they have already started :) Nice sense of the period too, with the uniforms and hair and the Colman's sign in the background. It just works, and it's a really good choice for the theme (y)

I remember your Showcase image and I can't believe it's been almost a year! The edit has brought up the colours very nicely and the clean background and reflection work as well as they did in the original. It's a good idea to shortlist your favourites too. There have been some really excellent images again this year.

Congratulations on finishing again, and I'll be looking forward to your images in 2019!
You're right about the shoulder Andrea. I've tried other crops, other processing, dutch angles etc, and nothing really improves / removes it. As you say, a different angle would have been better, but the moment would have been gone. I think the Gay Ted shot is an improvement on the previous two versions. One thing it does show is how the images are different on the forum to flickr, even if it's a link through. The 'reflections' definitely show up differently.
Well done withthe complete set - and love that bear! Reminds me of the Beanie Bear "Peace" :)
Cheers Dave :)
Well done for finishing and good luck with next years, it’s been a pleasure :)
Thanks Allan. Don't worry, I'll haunt the 'takes on' with Cosplay next year just for you ;)

Hi Tim

Nice Image for Party, they look to be having a whale of a time. Well caught.

Showcase I remember but did not realise it was so far back. Lovely colours and detail.

Pete

Last edited:
I promise not to tell anyone!;)
I'm fairly sure I posted how to add the reflections in my thread :)
You know I always find it amazing how easy it is to go off people :troll: :D
Luckily for you, my first Anime Convention of 2019 is the first weekend in Feb. So I need to get "Liquid" done without dressing up!
Hi Tim

Nice Image for Party, they look to be having a whale of a time. Well caught.

Showcase I remember but did not realise it was so far back. Lovely colours and detail.

Pete
Thanks Pete. I did enjoy doing Gated, and it was nice to revisit it for the Showcase image.

Back