LC2's Many Many (More) Fine Shoehorns in 2018 : Week 52 - Showcase [2018 Complete]

O Gauge seems to work reasonably well with lego figures (y)
Yes, I was thinking that too myself. I was pondering trying to fit my other Harley into the cab as the driver, but didn't get round to it.
Hahaha! What? No orange hi-vis?
Hehe, nope. Trespassers tend not to be in hi-vis.
Beautifully shot!

She's gonna need emergency plastic surgery! :tumbleweed:
Lol.
works well for the theme not much more I can add
:)
Looks like she's working under the train since there aren't any drivers in the cab. :)

Imagewise, very well staged and well lit. I like the head-on composition and the shallow dof.
I do see what you mean, splitting her in two and adding tomato sauce would have been a bit tasteless though ;)
I went for the head on shot as you often get "art" railway shots taken illegally where either the model or the photographer (or both) are obviously in the four foot.

Week 44 Catchup : Filthy

One of my two missing themes. And a bit of a shoe-horn perhaps.
This is part of the "Ice Watch" installation (Scandinavian artist Olafur Eliasson) at the Tate Modern, which is a reminder that the Arctic Ice Fields are melting due to the filthy pollution we are emitting causing global warming.
I also find it fitting that this installation is at the Tate Modern, which was a fossil fuel powered power station, which will have contributed to the pollution during it's active life.

For this reason, I've kept a portion of the Tate Modern's exterior in the shot.
COnverted to black and white because, well Ice suits B&W and I also wanted to lose the sky which really wasn't very attractive this morning.

TP 52 for 2018 - Filthy
by Tim White, on Flickr

I would like to see more of the building, you say you kept a portion of the Tate its just not recognisable to me, you have cut a large part of the right hand iceberg a few steps back and a portrait view might have been a better option, it needs height I think

Would this be more your taste @Allan.H ?
The crop on the B&W was to avoid people in the frame (though I suppose they do give it context) and this shot was about the only angle where you could get all of (some of) the blocks in without cropping into them.
Oh, and directly behind me was a large portacabin for the security staff.
As for not being recognisable, I suspect without getting the chimney in, if you're not a local it won't be obvious. For those of us who have seen it every day for the past god knows, the vertical windows give it away.
The blue hue is actually true to life. They really are that colour.

Ice Watch - Olafur Eliasson
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hi Tim, I do like the Deadpool image for 'Lost' - I think the quizzical tilt of the head implies that he may indeed be lost in some way, and the bright costume jumps out well against the background.
I liked the disturbing-looking characters for Monstrous, especially their red eyes, and again they stand out well against a busier background. Then I saw the B&W version and I think it's an even better got for the theme; not only the scary characters but - as Gareth B says - it has that B&W horror film 'vibe'.
Balanced isn't quite so accessible for me but it achieves what you set out for and the processing adds a jarring feel to the scene, so complements it well.
Crushed - we had the "Big Big Train" too - what a blast from the past :) I like the head-on composition and I don't think another angle would have worked so well. Maybe it's a shame that there isn't a driver, but in real life you imagine a driver would have jumped out pretty quickly anyway.
Filthy - works well on many levels and conveys exactly what you wanted to. I'm torn between the two versions as the inclusion of the person and more of the building in the second one shows the size of the huge ice blocks, but I prefer the B&W processing in the first. Either way, it's a really good idea for the theme (y)

Filthy: Very cool interpretation of the theme....fits perfectly.
Both shots have their merits....like Andrea says, I'm a bit torn too, but I think the B&W just edges it for me....even though it doesn't show the complete installation (or people for scale), it's still masterfully processed with great contrast and punchy impact. I love those vertical windows too, they seem to draw the eye through the image more than in the colour image. And cropping out the signage and those lights on that light pole makes the image work better I think.

Second take on filthy for me, the bit of context really adds to it I think

Tim

I prefer the B&W Monstrous Shot, good tones. More action involved as well.

Balanced - it's lego and Its not doing anything for me. However the processing and the single light is working.

Crushed - Ohh its a model and more lego. It tells a story and its technically fine.

Filthy - Good tones in the B&W Image, needed the explaination to fit the theme for me but it does work. Colour version is not quite as good.

Pete

Hi Tim, I do like the Deadpool image for 'Lost' - I think the quizzical tilt of the head implies that he may indeed be lost in some way, and the bright costume jumps out well against the background.
I liked the disturbing-looking characters for Monstrous, especially their red eyes, and again they stand out well against a busier background. Then I saw the B&W version and I think it's an even better got for the theme; not only the scary characters but - as Gareth B says - it has that B&W horror film 'vibe'.
Balanced isn't quite so accessible for me but it achieves what you set out for and the processing adds a jarring feel to the scene, so complements it well.
Crushed - we had the "Big Big Train" too - what a blast from the past :) I like the head-on composition and I don't think another angle would have worked so well. Maybe it's a shame that there isn't a driver, but in real life you imagine a driver would have jumped out pretty quickly anyway.
Filthy - works well on many levels and conveys exactly what you wanted to. I'm torn between the two versions as the inclusion of the person and more of the building in the second one shows the size of the huge ice blocks, but I prefer the B&W processing in the first. Either way, it's a really good idea for the theme (y)
Thanks Andrea. Seems in your eyes I've pretty much achieved what I was trying for in those shots. The B&W monstrous shot is actually one I really liked, but I had set my sights on getting a decent Kaneki Ken (Tokyo Ghoul) image for the theme, so was always going to lead with that one.
Filthy: Very cool interpretation of the theme....fits perfectly.
Both shots have their merits....like Andrea says, I'm a bit torn too, but I think the B&W just edges it for me....even though it doesn't show the complete installation (or people for scale), it's still masterfully processed with great contrast and punchy impact. I love those vertical windows too, they seem to draw the eye through the image more than in the colour image. And cropping out the signage and those lights on that light pole makes the image work better I think.
Ta Gareth. I prefer the B&W shot too. Perhaps because I know the Tate well enough not to need any further context? The colour version does a good job of showing the blue of the ice, but the signage etc are a bit jarring.
Second take on filthy for me, the bit of context really adds to it I think
As I said to Gareth, perhaps I think the 1st one works better because I know the Tate so well.
Tim

I prefer the B&W Monstrous Shot, good tones. More action involved as well.

Balanced - it's lego and Its not doing anything for me. However the processing and the single light is working.

Crushed - Ohh its a model and more lego. It tells a story and its technically fine.

Filthy - Good tones in the B&W Image, needed the explaination to fit the theme for me but it does work. Colour version is not quite as good.
Ta Pete. Lego is not to everyone's taste, but I did need to post something. As per the reply to Andrea, I planned on getting a Kaneki Ken shot, so that was always going to be the lead image. I do really like the B&W one though. I agree that the First Filthy is the better :)

Another classic steam train shot the steam has some body to it, very well caught indeed (y)

I like that, Tim. That massive smoke/steam convey the motion of the train. I also like the juxtaposition of the old train and the modern skyscrapers in the background.
Thanks Stan. I was quite lucky that the exhaust changed colour whilst they were crossing, it had previously been very light grey.
The view into London is very much dominated by high rise these days, isn't it. That said, these locos were still in use in the late 60s, so grey postwar high rise would have been a thing even back then.
Liking your motion shot Tim, good that you got the old and new near to each other, the steam shows very nicely that motion it is.
The tog on platform 9 wasn't quite so please Dave, the 450 got between him and Clan Line. His shot would have been better (with the glint of the sun off the boiler) if he'd got it, but that's the risk you take shooting across half of Clapham, whereas I went with the safety shot.
Another classic steam train shot the steam has some body to it, very well caught indeed (y)
Thanks Allan. As I said to Stan, I was quite lucky to have the exhaust go from light to dark at that point, most times they are coasting into the platform, this one was actually doing something.
Superb, spot on interpretation of the theme.
A compelling photograph of a glorious machine in motion. (y)
Ah Gareth. You've not been around long enough to see that I can shoe horn kettles into most themes (if I'm not shoehorning cosplay in, instead). You'll learn ;)

Motion, Cracking shot Tim, some of your train photography this year has quite inspired me, next year attending a few more train events is high on my priority list.

Nice steamy pic. I may have cropped out the bugs at the right - bit still good :)

Motion, Cracking shot Tim, some of your train photography this year has quite inspired me, next year attending a few more train events is high on my priority list.
Ta Roger. Bear in mind that quite a lot of my shots are from locations I know pretty well and thus have a fair idea if the light may work or not, and that some others are taken from areas that the general public can't access. That said, there are plenty of places that you can get good shots and long exposures work really nicely with the steam.
Nice steamy pic. I may have cropped out the bugs at the right - bit still good :)
Bugs? D'ya mean the 450 & 377? They are a part of the scene and even back in when steam was still on British Railways, the suburban services out of Waterloo (and other Southern Region termini) were predominantly electric (albeit earlier versions of the current stock).

Bugs? D'ya mean the 450 & 377? They are a part of the scene and even back in when steam was still on British Railways, the suburban services out of Waterloo (and other Southern Region termini) were predominantly electric (albeit earlier versions of the current stock).

Aye that's um :D

Crush(ed)
A good little set up. You're still managing to get trains and cosplay in to the themes :)

Week 43 : Corner

The Cornerstone of British Banking, the "Old Lady" herself.

There is far too much chromatic aberration and I might have been better going even wider due to the amount of perspective correction I've had to apply, but hey, I've caught up (ish).

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 43 : Corner
by Tim White, on Flickr

PS. I'm not quite sure how I've got the top and bottom horizontal with the middle on the slant, but if anyone else can fix it, please do ;)

Last edited:
Nice, sharp image....curious that the horizontals are different...is the building wonky?!
No kettles or cosplay, but still a great image with nice symmetry.

(y)
Ta Gareth,
I don't think that the BoE is wonky, it's going to be either my dodgy shooting or something I did when attempting to get everything vertical (I was near the steps of the Royal Exchange. There wasn't that much space to step back too much further).
Not one of my best shots. Just a PABD really to catch up, though it is something I've thought about for the theme for quite a while, it's just that that part of Lundinium is normally very busy when I'm walking to work. Not so much at 09:30 on Christmas Eve....

Tim

Motion, Now thats a good Image, lots of dynamic motion going on with that steam train. Love the clouds of steam and smoke, reminds me of running over a railway bridge next to the station as a young boy on the way home from primary school.

Corner, good thinking on this theme. Some odd perspective going on in the centre, Top and bottom of the image apear ok, but the cantre is not level. But overall a nice image, well exposed.
Have a Happy New Year.

Pete

Bench, that's what catches my eye it needs to go, throws out what would be a nice symmetrical image, no idea how to sort out the horizontals had a go but would probably need the original to start afresh

Even though it looks a bit odd, I really do like the shot for corner as you got plenty of them.
Hmm, that's not how I meant it, but I suppose there are plenty of corners.
My initial reaction when viewing in the main photo thread was what/where is the Corner theme in the image but all become clear after reading your narrative.

A clever take on the theme and a clean and sharp image too. You've done a great job with the corrections. Can't help with the wonky midsection.
You should see the original !!! It's not too horrendous considering the starting point. Imore far more pleased about the shoe horn than the actual shot itself though.
Tim

Motion, Now thats a good Image, lots of dynamic motion going on with that steam train. Love the clouds of steam and smoke, reminds me of running over a railway bridge next to the station as a young boy on the way home from primary school.

Corner, good thinking on this theme. Some odd perspective going on in the centre, Top and bottom of the image apear ok, but the cantre is not level. But overall a nice image, well exposed.
Have a Happy New Year.

Pete
I'm in my zone taking railway shots at Clapham usually :)
For the Corner shot, yes, the mid section is wonky as noted in my posting. I wasn't able to fix it :/
Bench, that's what catches my eye it needs to go, throws out what would be a nice symmetrical image, no idea how to sort out the horizontals had a go but would probably need the original to start afresh
Or perhaps it needs the whole of the bench? I did try cloning it out (no joy) and getting in closer to remove it from the shot would have made the perspective even worse.
I will have a look in the new year to see if there is a better angle.
Cracking shot for Motion, Tim. A great head of steam, a ridiculous amount of rails and points, and juxtaposition of the lovely old engine against the newer ones and also the modern buildings in the background. Very nice indeed :clap:
Cheers Andrea. It's actually kind of a stock shot for that location, but does need a bit of local knowledge to know where the unimpeded shot is going to be, and knowing what to wait for.
it's handy having this location on my way in to work and not caring if I turn up late :)

Week 51 - Party

More dressing up I'm afraid Allan...

Re-enactors embodying the party spirit / relief that returning home from the front for Christmas during wartime must have instilled for a lucky few.
I loved this (lucky) capture for the feeling of enjoyment it has.
It's far from technically perfect and perhaps could do with a little more cropping or some period style frame, but for me it *just works* as is.

TP 52 for 2018 : Week 51 - Party! (Christmas Leave - Mid Hants Railway)
by Tim White, on Flickr

I will let you off this once, I think the girl and the guy on the rights face makes the image it has it’s faults but their joy makes it work

I like party Tim, looks great fun.Love the colemans mustard sign.

Excellent image Tim, really captures the party feel very well. (y)
The great story by far outweighs the technical shortcomings...few that they are.
I agree with you - it works fine 'as is' - the expressions on their faces are terrific!

Love the colemans mustard sign.

Ahh Colemans....Norfolk-n-Good!!
(Don't say this too fast in polite company!):D
I live in Norfolk, so I've always been fond of Colemans - it's mustard!

Last edited:
Back