weekly Leebert's 2015 52 - Week 52 - Christmas.

Not been able to think of something for BOLD let alone get out and photograph something that fits the theme! Then I remembered how bold the colours were in the water droplet on glass photos that I had taken a while back were. Here then is a take on that type of photo. Getting the droplets to spell the word was, well, time consuming to say the least!

I generated an image with random coloured ellipses on it and printed it out. That was placed on the table with a couple of baked bean tins on top. On top of the tins awl a piece of glass from one of those cheap clip 6x4 photo frames. The drops were on the glass. Above all this was my D5000 and Tamron 90mm macro lens.

Thanks for looking (y)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qfyEet]
TP 2015 52. Week 7 - Bold by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

Hi an interesting take on the theme, I can only admire your patience, the only crit from me is I would prefer the BG to be a little more out of focus maybe :thinking:

certainly very bold colour wise

Could have killed 2 birds with one stone with this one Lee...Love it

very nice, have to agree with Allan, would be better if background was more oof. I can see the reasoning is to emphasise the BOLD colours. A good interpretation.

Hi Lee,

Watery - I like that a lot- the splash, the reflections, the little rainbows, lovely. I've never tried photographing droplets but I'm sure it can't be easy - well done :)

Bold - great idea and very well shot

Hi Lee ... you but in a lot of effort. (y)

Watery ... those splashes, I'm another one who can't do it. Well done indeed.

Bold ... clever stuff, very effective. Not a criticism but if I was somehow producing the BOLD word I'd use a small "b" to mirror the "d" ... it's just while googling BOLD I came across a couple of logos where they do that.

Watery is one of those things I would never even attempt and I love the refractive rainbow you have captured around the bottom, it really lifts the shot (y)

Bold - what a cracking idea, just needs the bg slightly more OOF I think :)

Last edited:
Hey Lee

What a brilliant shot for Bold! No crit from me, just well done for having that much patience![emoji23]

Hi an interesting take on the theme, I can only admire your patience, the only crit from me is I would prefer the BG to be a little more out of focus maybe :thinking:

certainly very bold colour wise
Thank you for taking the time to comment. I did try a shot with a more OOF BG but my printed sheet looked like it lacked colour unfortunately.

Could have killed 2 birds with one stone with this one Lee...Love it
Thank you - I didn't think of that ;)

very nice, have to agree with Allan, would be better if background was more oof. I can see the reasoning is to emphasise the BOLD colours. A good interpretation.
Thanks. I agree. It's a shot I may revisit to see if I can improve on it.

Hi Lee,

Watery - I like that a lot- the splash, the reflections, the little rainbows, lovely. I've never tried photographing droplets but I'm sure it can't be easy - well done :)

Bold - great idea and very well shot
Thanks for popping by and taking the time to comment.

Hi Lee ....very well done for having the patience to do that one :clap: lovely reflections in the droplets ....I really like it.
Thank you. I do like these sort of photos as my become evident :)

Hi Lee ... you but in a lot of effort. (y)

Watery ... those splashes, I'm another one who can't do it. Well done indeed.

Bold ... clever stuff, very effective. Not a criticism but if I was somehow producing the BOLD word I'd use a small "b" to mirror the "d" ... it's just while googling BOLD I came across a couple of logos where they do that.
Thank you. I like your thinking on the lettering. I may have to give it a go.

Watery is one of those things I would never even attempt and I love the refractive rainbow you have captured around the bottom, it really lifts the shot (y)

Bold - what a cracking idea, just needs the bg slightly more OOF I think :)
Thank you for your comments. You should have a go at water drop photography. it can be quite frustrating but so rewarding when you get the shot you were hoping for.

Bold is a great idea and well focused on those drops
Thanks for commenting. It is much appreciated.

Hey Lee

What a brilliant shot for Bold! No crit from me, just well done for having that much patience![emoji23]
Thanks :) I did wonder why I was doing it about halfway through :D

Here is one of my earlier shots with the lens opened up more. Pity I hadn't got the BG paper in the correct place. Yo can see my baked bean tin stands in the droplets :D

TP 2015 52. Week 7 - Bold by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Better late than never...

Week 8 - Relax...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r5Mq4V]
TP 2015 52. Week 8 - Relax by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

A challenging one this week. I couldn't think of anything out of the box as it were until yesterday evening. If you're tense, you can't hit the broadside of a barn. The key is to relax...

Very tricky lighting on this too. The targets are lit and the area where you stand is relatively low on light. I tried the shot without flash and I ended up with blown targets and a well exposed person or a well exposed targets and a silhouette. I resorted to using the the on camera flash but even on it's lowest power it was too much really. I also forgot to turn the ISO back down so it's a bit noisy!

Thanks for looking :)

Nice idea with good focus on arm and gun draws the eyes straight in (y)

Hi Lee,

I like the theme - and share the sentiment too, as I'm a keen shot, myself (though not a terribly good one). I think that the shot could have been improved if the pistol had more clearly picked, against some of the lighter coloured background available at the end of the range, perhaps.. I would have liked to see a slightly tighter angle too, with the lens tighter in to the shooter's eye line and lining up a little closer with the view down the barrel and onwards to the target - though I'm being a bit picky there.

Karl

Nice idea with good focus on arm and gun draws the eyes straight in (y)

Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

Hi Lee,

I like the theme - and share the sentiment too, as I'm a keen shot, myself (though not a terribly good one). I think that the shot could have been improved if the pistol had more clearly picked, against some of the lighter coloured background available at the end of the range, perhaps.. I would have liked to see a slightly tighter angle too, with the lens tighter in to the shooter's eye line and lining up a little closer with the view down the barrel and onwards to the target - though I'm being a bit picky there.

Karl
Thanks - I did try a little tighter line but it didn't feel right if you know what I mean. I didn't try a really tight angle though so may give that a go next time. Thanks for your comment.

Bold - a good creative attempt on a difficult theme.

Relax - interesting take on the theme, I like the composition of the image not sure if a closer crop would help the image slightly.

Thanks for dropping in and taking the time to comment :)

Apologies this is a bit late - time seems to be flying past. I wasn't happy with my initial shot for vertical which has made me even later with this submission. A chance chat with a work friend resulted in this. The fence around the work car park. My submission was right under my nose all the time! I really like the patterns in the galvanising. I'm not so keen on the fact that I held the camera not quite square and the shot isn't quite symmetrical.

Week 9 - Vertical:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/rAezqn]
TP 2015 52. Week 9 - Vertical by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

I couldn't think of anything out of the box for mouth either and then had an idea after taking the following photo for the macro part of the forum. I didn't take it specially for this at the time but I think it fits as my interpretation of a 'Gob Shot'..

WARNING: The photo is a close-up of a spider. Please don't follow the link if you'd rather not see that subject matter up close!

Week 10: Mouth:
https://flic.kr/p/rsM7h8

I must apologise for not being able to comment on as many of everyones photos as I'd like. A couple of hours on a Thursday evening and maybe some time at the weekend is all that seems to be available at the moment. I will try my best to rectify that in the near future.

Many thanks for looking in and commenting :)

Vertical, that certainly fits the theme, and very "simple" too (in the nicest way) (y)

Spider, that fits also, glad to see a slightly different take on the theme :)

Hi Lee

Relax ... viewed this a number of times and still not quite sure what to think.

Vertical ... love it ... fantastic POV ... mean-looking fence.

Mouth ... thanks for the warning :eek: I don't really do macro but that looks the business.

Last edited:
Like your vertical shot Lee - I am struggling to find something for this one maybe an idea to look around my work. Haven't looked at the spider too scared after your comment! :)

Vertical....For me the best shot of the theme. I love the simplicity.

Mouth. On theme. I don't have a problem with spiders but it made even me go "Urgh!" :LOL:

Vertical, that certainly fits the theme, and very "simple" too (in the nicest way) (y)

Spider, that fits also, glad to see a slightly different take on the theme :)

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and comment (y)

Hi Lee

Relax ... viewed this a number of times and still not quite sure what to think.

Vertical ... love it ... fantastic POV ... mean-looking fence.

Mouth ... thanks for the warning :eek: I don't really do macro but that looks the business.

Thank you. I know what you mean about Relax. It was a really tricky one for me in many ways. Not my finest shot so far that's for sure.

Vertical - A simple looking image but fits the theme, and nice and sharp.

Mouth - WOW is all I can say that is one excellent shot of a spider I have seen, pin sharp I cant fault it at all.

Thank you very much :)

Like your vertical shot Lee - I am struggling to find something for this one maybe an idea to look around my work. Haven't looked at the spider too scared after your comment! :)

Thanks for popping in and commenting. Personally, I don't think the spider is too bad but then I do like them and find macro shots of them fascinating. The warning in red maybe a touch over the top but I really didn't want to upset anyone.

Vertical....For me the best shot of the theme. I love the simplicity.

Mouth. On theme. I don't have a problem with spiders but it made even me go "Urgh!" :LOL:

Thank you for your kind comments. He (she) was certainly impressive close up :eek:

Yes, all good stuff. I like the idea behind RELAX, although I admit it was not immediately obvious until I read the description.
The take on WATERY is superb. I have tried and failed with water splashes, and ELEGANT is well-framed. So these three would be the stand out shots so far.

Hi Lee - I like your vertical shot, nice and simple, and a great fit for the theme. :)

I won't go look at the spider's mouth though - some things I'd rather not see :eek:

HI Lee

Bold....different take on the theme , you must have some massive patience to get that set up (y)prefer the 2nd one with slightly more oof backdrop....wonder if oosting the color saturation a tad might give it a bit more pop ?

Vertical....liking this a lot.....strong bold lines, simple to the point of almost minimal but very effective :clap:

Yes, all good stuff. I like the idea behind RELAX, although I admit it was not immediately obvious until I read the description.
The take on WATERY is superb. I have tried and failed with water splashes, and ELEGANT is well-framed. So these three would be the stand out shots so far.
Thank you for popping by and for taking the time to comment.

Hi Lee - I like your vertical shot, nice and simple, and a great fit for the theme. :)
I won't go look at the spider's mouth though - some things I'd rather not see :eek:
Thank you. I did question myself as to whether I should put in the Spider shot but, the spider was such a willing subject and seemed happy to pose that I thought 'why not' :)

HI Lee
Bold....different take on the theme , you must have some massive patience to get that set up (y)prefer the 2nd one with slightly more oof backdrop....wonder if oosting the color saturation a tad might give it a bit more pop ?
Vertical....liking this a lot.....strong bold lines, simple to the point of almost minimal but very effective :clap:
Many thanks for taking the time to comment. I will experiment with Bold and see how it pans out. I am a stubborn bugger and don't like to be beaten so once I got started on the theme, that was it :D
Vertical nearly didn't happen for me - I have a colleague at work to thank for the inspiration. It's one of my favourite shots so far (y)

A bit of fun for this week. This is fairly standard in our house. The only days that we don't have to get up early for work and the cats crowd us out of bed at early o'clock to make sure we feed them.
It's clear to me who runs the place :)

Time is just flying by at the moment with one thing and another so it's a real grab shot taken this morning just to record the idea really. The lens was wide open, the shutter speed was slow and the ISO was at 1600 so it was always going to be soft or noisy or, in this case, both :D

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rrd86P]
TP 2015 52. Week 10 - Crowd by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

Thank you for looking.

Straight on with Week 12 - Close up.

I enjoy this sort of photography and have a Tamron 90mm macro lens but, after a comment in the main thread, I thought I'd dig out the Raynox DCR250. This is a simple diopter lens that spring clips over the front of a standard lens. For the shot below, I used it on my 55 - 200mm kit lens. Okay, it's not super sharp across the frame but for £40 it's pretty good I think if you just fancy a go at macro but without the expense of a dedicated lens.

Bonus points if you guess what the letters are made up from :)

TP 2015 52. Week 12 - Close up by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Thanks for having a look (y)

It is indeed sugar (y)
There are some "behind the scenes" photos HERE.

Thanks for the heads up on the link. It works if you click on the photo but not on the text. Odd..

Last edited:
Hi Lee ... this photo definitely needs the 'behind the scenes' link to put it into perspective, I was thinking the background looked too textured but now I can see why with such close magnification. very well done with those sugar grains.
I have the Raynox 150 and 250 and I've taken some excellent shots with them I think they're great value for money.

That certainly is close Lee,
I wouldn't have the patience TBH (y)

Spot on. Well done :)

Clever take on the subject. Are they Foxes Glacier Mints?
Mono suits that shot well.

By the way, your flickr link is broken somehow.
Thanks for your comments. They are a fair bit smaller the Glacier Mints ;) Not sure what is going on with the links - it's straight from Flickr :thinking:

Hi Lee ... this photo definitely needs the 'behind the scenes' link to put it into perspective, I was thinking the background looked too textured but now I can see why with such close magnification. very well done with those sugar grains.
I have the Raynox 150 and 250 and I've taken some excellent shots with them I think they're great value for money.
I agree - they are great for the money. Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment :)

That certainly is close Lee,
I wouldn't have the patience TBH (y)
Thanks. It did take a while. I did have to back off with the magnification though as I couldn't get all the letters in. This is about as close as I can get to sugar grains at the moment (300mm lens and Raynox DCR250 with a crop to remove the soft edges)...

Sugar by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Close up....

Sugar CRYSTALS? ?
Blimey...now that's patience.

Hi, thats dedication for you I would have got really frustrated doing that, on a crit point I am not sure your choise of BG is perhaps the best

Clever macro work now I know they're sugar granules.

Close up....

Sugar CRYSTALS? ?
Blimey...now that's patience.
There was a fair bit of patience involved but I actually enjoyed it - although, I did have to get up and walk away a couple of times when the little crystals flew about. I caught a sugar grain with the cocktail stick a few times and it would fly off and mess up the other letters :mad:

Hi, thats dedication for you I would have got really frustrated doing that, on a crit point I am not sure your choise of BG is perhaps the best
Thanks. The background was the black paperer you can see in the behind the scenes photos. It's quite smooth to look at until the magnification is increased.

Blimey, when you said sugar I thought you meant lumps not crystals - that is Close Up :clap::clap:
Thank you for looking and commenting :)

Clever macro work now I know they're sugar granules.
Thank you for your comment (y)

Back