weekly Leebert's 2015 52 - Week 52 - Christmas.

A visit to the in-laws was on the cards this weekend and, as the father in-law was a Horologist, I hatched a plan...
This weeks 'Machine' photo is of a pocket watch made by G Parkin of Newcastle Upon Tyne sometime in the early 1900s. It is an amazing thing to look at. The skill that went into making it is just incredible. This particular one is chain drive. You can just make out some of the chain links towards the bottom left of the photo.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ryMYKj]
TP 2015 52. Week 13 - Machine by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

Thanks for looking.

Hi, nice detailed image and a great example of precision engineering, great piece for the theme

Very nice. A lovely piece of craftmanship there.
I like the blue (enamled?) screws, they really nicely contrast with the base colour (gunmetal?) of the watch.

Nicely focused, no obvious dodgy shadows, a nicely taken shot.

That's an amazing piece of engineering, nicely captured too Lee (y)

Close Up - I like the final one of the sugar crystals. I know how hard shooting this can be. Believe it or not but in a previous 52 I stacked some to get a picture - That's not focus stacking but actual stacking them on top of each other. Patience was definitely tested - as was my control of my language LOL

Machine - Fantastic detail in this - You've certainly got the focus spot on. It really does show off the total craftsmanship of the maker.

Wow for your close up, I thought they were ice cubes! Excellent idea and so very well executed.
The Machine shot is very good too, I do like the blue screw heads!
;)

HI Lee

that is a super shot of the time piece, so much detail (y)

Close up....top marks for patience , amazing the size of those crystals(y) the only slight downside is that they seem a little lost on the background, too much of a similar color maybe ?

Yep you have got the detail perfect no crit just brilliant

Hi, nice detailed image and a great example of precision engineering, great piece for the theme
Thank you for taking the time to have a look and comment.

Very nice. A lovely piece of craftmanship there.
I like the blue (enamled?) screws, they really nicely contrast with the base colour (gunmetal?) of the watch.

Nicely focused, no obvious dodgy shadows, a nicely taken shot.
Thank you. I'm not sure what the materials are made up of but it is beautiful and so clean considering it's age.

That's an amazing piece of engineering, nicely captured too Lee (y)
Thank you for dropping by and commenting :)

Hi Lee,

That's a wonderful piece of craftsmanship, and your shot's done it justice. Nice (y)
Thanks very much.

Close Up - I like the final one of the sugar crystals. I know how hard shooting this can be. Believe it or not but in a previous 52 I stacked some to get a picture - That's not focus stacking but actual stacking them on top of each other. Patience was definitely tested - as was my control of my language LOL

Machine - Fantastic detail in this - You've certainly got the focus spot on. It really does show off the total craftsmanship of the maker.
Thank you. Wow! I thought spelling a word was hard enough but stacking the crystals - max respect (y)

Wow for your close up, I thought they were ice cubes! Excellent idea and so very well executed.
The Machine shot is very good too, I do like the blue screw heads!
;)
Thank yo for taking the time to comment.

HI Lee

that is a super shot of the time piece, so much detail (y)

Close up....top marks for patience , amazing the size of those crystals(y) the only slight downside is that they seem a little lost on the background, too much of a similar color maybe ?
Thank you. I agree regarding the BG. It's a fairly smooth bit of black card to the naked eye but it looks a lot rougher and lighter under the macro lens.

Good detail Lee .. I like it.
Thank you for your comment.

Yep you have got the detail perfect no crit just brilliant
Thank you very much (y)

Thank you all for taking the time to comment. It is much appreciated :)
Cheers,
Lee

I have to give full credit to Mrs Leebert for this idea. I was thinking of Scrabble and Alphabetti Spaghetti but I wanted something different... Wifey came to the rescue with this. My first photo created in Photoshop Elements that I downloaded yesterday and the help of Adobe TV tutorials :)

A photo of a page in an old dictionary (mid 1970s I think). Straightened and cropped then desaturated and given the 'Tilt & shift' treatment in PS Elements.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rTyFvQ]TP 2015 52. Week 14 - Alphabet. by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

That works week and (y) for learning something new, that's what the 52 is all about. I think a slight crop to get in closer would also work, but I like the fact the whites (if they were white) are grey as I feel it adds to the Victorian feel of the photograph.

Cheers.

Hi,

Good choice for the theme - I agree with Susie, you've done a good job of the processing there :)

I would maybe have cropped the top down to "alp" but it's still very good regardless :)

also - machine - well I cut my engineering teeth on clocks when I was aged 5 ha ha - I'm also related to John Harwood who invented the self-winding watch. So not only do I love the subject, I think you've done a smashing job with the capture :clap:

Last edited:
Thought it was just a shallow DOF at first. Interesting use of Tilt-Shift. (y)

Hi, as said above interesting use of tilt shift, very nicely done (y)

Hi Lee

limited number of ways I think to shot Alphabet and yi've chosen a simly but effective one.....like the moono , perfectly placed focus as well :) not sure why you chose the tilt shift effect ? unlss you just wanted to play in which case I can't fault you...lol..... a shallow DOF & shot at an gle may well have produced the same effect....possibly :thinking:

That works week and (y) for learning something new, that's what the 52 is all about. I think a slight crop to get in closer would also work, but I like the fact the whites (if they were white) are grey as I feel it adds to the Victorian feel of the photograph.

Cheers.
Thank you for your kind comments. The paper has an old feel to it and is really quite yellow. It didn't seem right in colour but it did in mono :)

Great choice for Close Lee .... super detail.

Same again for Alphabet ...I like the processing and the focus is spot on.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

Hi,

Good choice for the theme - I agree with Susie, you've done a good job of the processing there :)
Thank you.

I would maybe have cropped the top down to "alp" but it's still very good regardless :)

also - machine - well I cut my engineering teeth on clocks when I was aged 5 ha ha - I'm also related to John Harwood who invented the self-winding watch. So not only do I love the subject, I think you've done a smashing job with the capture :clap:
Thank you. I got a bit excited about the tilt shift effect I didn't even consider a tighter crop. I might just investigate :) Cool stuff re the self winding watch. I must admit to not liking wearing a watch but I have a "thing" for pocket watches. They are fascinating.

Thought it was just a shallow DOF at first. Interesting use of Tilt-Shift. (y)
Thank you.

Hi, as said above interesting use of tilt shift, very nicely done (y)
Thank you.

Hi Lee

limited number of ways I think to shot Alphabet and yi've chosen a simly but effective one.....like the moono , perfectly placed focus as well :) not sure why you chose the tilt shift effect ? unlss you just wanted to play in which case I can't fault you...lol..... a shallow DOF & shot at an gle may well have produced the same effect....possibly :thinking:
Actually, this tilt shift photo is kinda down to you in a round about way. I have been toying with the idea of getting Photoshop Elements for ages and the reason I hit the buy button was your seeing your "Machine" shot which I think is fantastic. I downloaded Elements and started playing. The first result is the Alphabet photo :) I tried a machine shot of my own but it was a recycle bin job really - more Elements pp practise needed :D

Machine: Very nice. When I was doing motorcycle mechanics at collage I had a tutor who was into clocks and watches because he said they were like a dream for engineers. The phoyo looks spot on and the grey of the background really helps the watch 'pop'.

Alphabet: Nice depth of field and good light.

Alphabet. ..very nice use of DOF and theme perfect :)

Hi Lee,

that's a beauty. I love watches myself, so can appreciate the engineering in there as well as the aesthetics. A perfect little pocket machine. Yum!

Karl

Oppppp - See, you are one of the threads I have not been to since practice week :( :D

Sorry, loads of threads to catch up on so a quick catch up from me..

Bliss -Aweeee cosy pussy cat, nice DoF on it's head, much prefer the edit with the more foreground, our cats would be blissful there too :)

Fragile - Good idea, caught the moment of impact just right, liking the little schards coming off, again much prefering the edit, the lighting changes makes loads of difference !!!

Companions - Love IT... Marmite that is :D well staged but the board is a tad over cramped for me, I think it could do with out the scrummy looking bread and some marmite on the knife as it looks too clean/staged... must say lighting is lovely and bright/even on this one, nom nom nom (y)

Elegant - A nice sculpture, maybe a tad tight at the top, but I'm liking the strong directional light, loads of different areas of shadows and highlights :)

Watery - Excellent capture, well lit, perfect crown for me, loads of drops too, no crit from me :clap:

Bold - Liking this effect, nice and bright/colourful, fits the theme fine for me too (y)

Relax - Another nice original idea, liking the PoV on this and the focus chosen on the gun, nice one :)

Vertical - A nice odd choice, not quite central/square as you say (LR would sort that out in a jiffy :)), BUT I really like the angle and the detail as you say, liking this (y)

Mouth - Ooooo very nice, excellent detail and Soooooooooo loving the reflection, another :clap: from me

Crowd - This made me chuckle, I think I would be dinging them off the bed instantly :D

Close up - Now my first impression of this was BORING... until i suddenly realised what it was, really good effort with this one, real good shapes, excellent detail, and really liking the background, 10/10 for effort (y)

Machine - Liking the colours and detail on this one, the square tight crop works well too, nice even lighting rounds it off nicely :)

Alphabet - Good idea again, nicely picked out and perfect for the theme :)

Annnnnnd again apologies for not getting over, sad to say I concentrate on replying to posts on mine first then jump on a few random ones to try and slowly catch up... One down :)

Machine: Very nice. When I was doing motorcycle mechanics at collage I had a tutor who was into clocks and watches because he said they were like a dream for engineers. The phoyo looks spot on and the grey of the background really helps the watch 'pop'.

Alphabet: Nice depth of field and good light.
Thank you. I agree - I find pocket watch movements amazing.

Alphabet. ..very nice use of DOF and theme perfect :)
Thank you.

Hi Lee,

that's a beauty. I love watches myself, so can appreciate the engineering in there as well as the aesthetics. A perfect little pocket machine. Yum!

Karl
Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

Oppppp - See, you are one of the threads I have not been to since practice week :( :D

Sorry, loads of threads to catch up on so a quick catch up from me..

Bliss -Aweeee cosy pussy cat, nice DoF on it's head, much prefer the edit with the more foreground, our cats would be blissful there too :)

Fragile - Good idea, caught the moment of impact just right, liking the little schards coming off, again much prefering the edit, the lighting changes makes loads of difference !!!

Companions - Love IT... Marmite that is :D well staged but the board is a tad over cramped for me, I think it could do with out the scrummy looking bread and some marmite on the knife as it looks too clean/staged... must say lighting is lovely and bright/even on this one, nom nom nom (y)

Elegant - A nice sculpture, maybe a tad tight at the top, but I'm liking the strong directional light, loads of different areas of shadows and highlights :)

Watery - Excellent capture, well lit, perfect crown for me, loads of drops too, no crit from me :clap:

Bold - Liking this effect, nice and bright/colourful, fits the theme fine for me too (y)

Relax - Another nice original idea, liking the PoV on this and the focus chosen on the gun, nice one :)

Vertical - A nice odd choice, not quite central/square as you say (LR would sort that out in a jiffy :)), BUT I really like the angle and the detail as you say, liking this (y)

Mouth - Ooooo very nice, excellent detail and Soooooooooo loving the reflection, another :clap: from me

Crowd - This made me chuckle, I think I would be dinging them off the bed instantly :D

Close up - Now my first impression of this was BORING... until i suddenly realised what it was, really good effort with this one, real good shapes, excellent detail, and really liking the background, 10/10 for effort (y)

Machine - Liking the colours and detail on this one, the square tight crop works well too, nice even lighting rounds it off nicely :)

Alphabet - Good idea again, nicely picked out and perfect for the theme :)

Annnnnnd again apologies for not getting over, sad to say I concentrate on replying to posts on mine first then jump on a few random ones to try and slowly catch up... One down :)
Wow! Thanks for the massive catch up (y)

Machine; beautiful pocket watch with some amazing details. You done very well with the shot, spot on focus and the square crop works perfectly.

Alphabet; again spot on focus but I would even narrow the focus even more to just the "Alphabet" part.
Thank you for your comments - it is much appreciated :)

Week 15 - Sound.

After seeing all the amazing shots so far, I was really scratching my head with how I could depict sound photographically. I came up with an idea after browsing online of using a non-Newtonian fluid and a loudspeaker. It's been done many times before but it was a first for me and great fun - except clearing up afterwards as I found out that custard powder really stains :eek:

The liquid is quite fluid when moved slowly but thickens rapidly when move more swiftly. The speaker was fed with a low frequency at high volume which made the liquid thicken and grow tendrils. These snapped off when they got too high and then bounced around the speaker cone before being flung out onto the side when it almost instantly reverted back to liquid form. Really weird stuff :)

TP 2015 52. Week 15 - Sound. by MrLeebert, on Flickr

So I had a huge "wtf" moment when I saw the image... As to your explanation, I lost the plot when you started talking about non-Newtonian fluid... Can you get it at Tesco? Wikipedia did not help.

That said - what an ingenious entry! The tight crop frames the subject well and almost makes it more of an abstract than a sort-of-still life. That murky orange colour though is really... yucky... I wonder what black & white would look like? It really caught my attention on the main pictures thread so it definitely has impact.

I think this wins the "strangest 52 entry" competition.

The ultimate depiction of sound photographically ... I guess. Well done, enjoy the fun. :clap:

Hi Lee,

when I first saw your shot I thought it was the most unappealing dish of macaroni cheese I'd ever come across! Great idea though - I think it's something to do with the cornflour, so you could probably use food colouring with cornflour & water to get any colour you want. Hope your speaker lived to tell the tale!

Hi Lee

I also muttered WTF to myself on seeing your Sound photo in the pic thread...but what a cracking idea :clap: A quick google has kind of explained what a non newtonian liquid is - something along the lines of a liquid that turns solid under pressure ( I failed science miserably at school:oops: :$) . Having sorted that bit out I then got lost at "The speaker was fed with a low frequency at high volume "....how's that done then ? Could you get the same effect by , for example , playing heavy rock music quite loudly through a speaker but having the bass turned up higher than normal ? Your image has definately piqued my interest ....quite fancy giving it a try (y)

So I had a huge "wtf" moment when I saw the image... As to your explanation, I lost the plot when you started talking about non-Newtonian fluid... Can you get it at Tesco? Wikipedia did not help.

That said - what an ingenious entry! The tight crop frames the subject well and almost makes it more of an abstract than a sort-of-still life. That murky orange colour though is really... yucky... I wonder what black & white would look like? It really caught my attention on the main pictures thread so it definitely has impact.

I think this wins the "strangest 52 entry" competition.
Lol! Thank you. It's just Bird's custard powder and water (you can use cornflower and water if you don't have any custard powder). See below to a link to a vido of me playing with the leftover "fluid" :)
Re the colour, I tried it with food colouring and it looked worse. Good idea re mono. I'll give that a shot.(y)

Quite a strange and usual image. Well done on the length you went through to get the shot. Very strange liquid indeed and no idea what this non-Newtonian fluid is about.
Thanks very much for stopping by and commenting. Have a look at the video below...

The ultimate depiction of sound photographically ... I guess. Well done, enjoy the fun. :clap:
Thank you:)

Hi Lee,

when I first saw your shot I thought it was the most unappealing dish of macaroni cheese I'd ever come across! Great idea though - I think it's something to do with the cornflour, so you could probably use food colouring with cornflour & water to get any colour you want. Hope your speaker lived to tell the tale!
Thanks very much. Yes, cornflour works a treat. The speaker is fine. It has a plastic coating so I just washed off all the custard :)

Hi Lee

I also muttered WTF to myself on seeing your Sound photo in the pic thread...but what a cracking idea :clap: A quick google has kind of explained what a non newtonian liquid is - something along the lines of a liquid that turns solid under pressure ( I failed science miserably at school:oops: :$) . Having sorted that bit out I then got lost at "The speaker was fed with a low frequency at high volume "....how's that done then ? Could you get the same effect by , for example , playing heavy rock music quite loudly through a speaker but having the bass turned up higher than normal ? Your image has definately piqued my interest ....quite fancy giving it a try (y)

Thank you for your comment. You are absolutely spot on @blondie606 - music with lots of bass and turned up nice and loud will do it as well as annoying the neighbours :D
Give it a shot - I'd love to see what images you get.

View: https://youtu.be/OYQPYkT97Xo

Sound, never tried this and it's a good effort, maybe some clingfilm other the top of the speaker so they were more visible and lower perspective.

Cheers.

Week 16 - Experiment.
Two shots this week. After getting myself a copy of Photoshop Elements recently, I thought I would experiment with layer masks...

This shot was taken tonight in the garden this evening so apologies for the background but I won't have much opportunity for this over the weekend. Two photos - one with Mrs Leebert holding a picture and one of just the garden. I added the two shots as layers and then masked out the picture inside the frame.
TP 2015 52. Week 16 - Experiment_1. by MrLeebert, on Flickr

This next shot I took a a couple of months ago but couldn't work out how to blend the images together nicely especially the clock face. An evening spent mucking around produced this. Ten shots taken about 10 minutes apart around sunset to produce a 'Timeslice'. The left of the image is lit by daylight and it gradually gets darker until you get to the far right where it was quite dark.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/sh7y3r]TP 2015 52. Week 16 - Experiment_2. by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

Thanks for looking :)

Alphabet - Looks like you’ve got to grips with Elements with this. Straightening it I feel has probably helped as has the T&S effect and well done keeping the greyness of the page for the mono conversion

Sound - That looks a rather messy experiment (amusing given the following week’s theme). I do find the colour rather off-putting though

Experiment - I quite like #1. I feel the positioning of your wife and the frame is spot on given the background you’ve masked to show through. Nice one.

Two lovely Experiment shots you have taken there, Lee.

Layer Mask; I thought the shot is just your wife holding a mirror until I read your description. Nice composition and focus.

Timeslice; when I saw the shot in the photo thread I knew it's a time slice technique. This is another technique in my to-do list.

Back