B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

Not sure what I was trying to achieve here but I do like it Battered old low grade smart phone and an edit in Snapseed looking for a Grudge look ( Normal photos look terrible on this phone so an effective down grade is the way to go. HDR edit to bring the bricks out either side , these were in near darkness and then a little extra noise ( It was quite noisy in the first place) and then knock the highlights down a little. All in phone so as it is only a little screen I didn't know exactly what I was getting until I got home and transferred it to the PC .

LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL
AL2.jpeg

Last edited:
Sunday I came across my Kodak Superzoom and thought I'll try some batteries in that ( It happens every year) The batteries came today with a little charge in them so I thought I would give it a go out of my back window then my front.I intend to take it on my dog walks with me and if I see the usual birds of prey get a shot for identifying purposes. Hopefully it will do the job.

This one was taken with a fixed shutter speed of 1/250th thinking the camera would up the ISO to suit for some reason it didn't although it was set on auto. So I have had to up the shadows in post. I'm going to have to spend some time with it to re familiarize myself with its functions and capabilities .

1BW.JPG
at about 50 to 60 feet away ,the light house is about a foot tall.
2BW.JPG

I like Staithes, and I like black and white photos, but I feel like this loses all of the different brightly coloured houses. Although that shot has been done millions of times, including by me.

I've taken that shot several times but only with a 35 or 50mm lens and I wanted to take it with a 28mm, so I did. Usually when I'm there the light is poor, it was on that day. I know that B&W conversions shouldn't be a last resort but sometimes I do think that they make a better end result than a dead light colour picture which is what those above would have been.

Here's another taken on a dead flat light day. I don't normally take pictures with strangers prominent in them but I thought I'd snap this one of some tourists at Whitby.

DSC04989-M.jpg

Last edited:
Back