B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

I must agree that B&W does, in many instances, have more impact than colour. I have recently dug out my old Pentax MX and am sending it for a service with the intention of shooting a few rolls of B&W - nostalgia I guess. ]

Top man! That is a truly great camera, and the Pentax-M lenses are excellent and still affordable as they're not so easy for the digerati to use (as the Pentax-A and later lenses). Please do visit the Film & Conventional section and tell us what you're up to? :wave::)

Top man! That is a truly great camera, and the Pentax-M lenses are excellent and still affordable as they're not so easy for the digerati to use (as the Pentax-A and later lenses). Please do visit the Film & Conventional section and tell us what you're up to? :wave::)

I certainly will Chris ! I have the 50mm f/1.7 - 85mm f/2.0 and 135mm f/2.5. This was my first ever 'proper' gear and has great sentimental value for me having used it to photograph my children from birth onwards. Like many people I bought into the digital 'thing' a couple of years ago and traded my Nikon 35mm bodies and lenses in to buy a D700. I suppose I love the immediacy of digital but oh dear how quickly the models become obsolete and lose their value !!

I certainly will Chris ! I have the 50mm f/1.7 - 85mm f/2.0 and 135mm f/2.5. This was my first ever 'proper' gear and has great sentimental value for me having used it to photograph my children from birth onwards. Like many people I bought into the digital 'thing' a couple of years ago and traded my Nikon 35mm bodies and lenses in to buy a D700. I suppose I love the immediacy of digital but oh dear how quickly the models become obsolete and lose their value !!

That 50 is excellent, and the 85 is seriously lovely. The only 135mm f/2.5 I have is Tamron, but I don't much like it; the focus changes if you point the lens slightly downwards! I do have the Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5, which you perhaps meant, which is also a fine lens. In fact, I don't know any of the Pentax-M primes that are bad. The zooms... another matter entirely!

That 50 is excellent, and the 85 is seriously lovely. The only 135mm f/2.5 I have is Tamron, but I don't much like it; the focus changes if you point the lens slightly downwards! I do have the Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5, which you perhaps meant, which is also a fine lens. In fact, I don't know any of the Pentax-M primes that are bad. The zooms... another matter entirely!

Ah yes you are correct about the 135mm, it is in fact marked Takumar rather than Pentax

What an amazing shot !! How did you capture it and what did you use ??

There's a hill nearby where there's Kestrels and Buzzards that hang out a bit. The Hill is pretty steep so I can practically get under the Kestrel to get the shots :)

Taken handheld with a 7d2 and a 200-400mm F4L :) 1/800 ISO 500 F5.6 @ 560mm

@ecniv - pencils - could work, just not enough detail/contrast for me and the OCD part of me wants to see the tips lined up.

@ecniv - pencils - could work, just not enough detail/contrast for me and the OCD part of me wants to see the tips lined up.
Hi Thanks.

Technically they are lined up against the edge of the box they are in... Do you mean more lined up visually?
As to contrast/detail... If I should more detail I lose the contrast. But I will try a few other things to see if I can get more on the next lot... :)

Last edited:
Just back from a week in Iceland. Here is a quick LR edit of one of the waterfalls:

18126945350_772a27d696_b.jpg

That is very well done, Rob, although I have no idea how!

I guess I'm EXTREMELY biased but I think my 2 yr old grandson Hunter is very photogenic - enough to make up for the many discrepancies in my photographic abilities !
This was taken at his younger brothers 1st birthday and I've given it a caption : ''Okay, okay, I know it's full of calories but at my age it just doesn't matter'' !!

View attachment 39060

Back