Louise Knight's self portrait 52 - Week 23 - Sarcoma Knows No Borders

Wow Louise, more great stuff and thanks for getting back on it and posting again. Its always worth a visit to your thread.

Your duoflex pieces are fantastic, i really like this style and i love what you have done with putting the images together. im not sure where your creation views lie but i think we all have monkey toes:LOL:

Again with screaming, silence is futile i love the way you have processed this. I'd be really interested to see what the start images look like and how you achieve this look.

Keep up the great work(y)

(y) for The Disappearing Act.

:clap:

Ian.

Wow Louise, more great stuff and thanks for getting back on it and posting again. Its always worth a visit to your thread.

Your duoflex pieces are fantastic, i really like this style and i love what you have done with putting the images together. im not sure where your creation views lie but i think we all have monkey toes:LOL:

Again with screaming, silence is futile i love the way you have processed this. I'd be really interested to see what the start images look like and how you achieve this look.

Keep up the great work(y)

If you like the duaflex images then stay tuned.. week 13 has a TTV outtake.. slightly disturbing, but it's using the camera anyhow so, you may like it :D

I may post before and afters at some point, that'll be interesting :D

(y) for The Disappearing Act.

:clap:

Ian.

:) thank you

Week 13 - Gluttony

Aahhhh now this came out totally different to what was intended.. I was actually going to do something reasonably nice.. but my makeup messed up.. soooo this happened. BUT, mistakes like this are good because I now have a mini project to follow throughout the year.. seven deadly sins. So long as I can get all seven by december, I will be happy!

4563044397_deae7354de.jpg

OUTTAKE

Sort of, not really on the same level as Gluttony here, but this is an outtake, it is called The Hunger, and it was shot through my Kodak Duaflex and lit with a softbox. I like.

4563681240_85e047d056.jpg

Some mesmerising images here Louise.

Your PP is really very good. It really appeals. I'm not sure whether it's a combination of lighting and PP, or just PP, but I like it.

With Gluttony, my concern is that your thigh is right in the front of the shot, and it's very bright and distracting from your face. Not quite blown, but not far off on my monitor. Your pose looks really uncomfortable, which makes it looks like you're dead rather than sleeping off a big meal. Are you supposed to be dead or sleeping?

That Duaflex shot on the left is amazing. Great expression going on.

More please! :)

Ian.

Some mesmerising images here Louise.

Your PP is really very good. It really appeals. I'm not sure whether it's a combination of lighting and PP, or just PP, but I like it.

With Gluttony, my concern is that your thigh is right in the front of the shot, and it's very bright and distracting from your face. Not quite blown, but not far off on my monitor. Your pose looks really uncomfortable, which makes it looks like you're dead rather than sleeping off a big meal. Are you supposed to be dead or sleeping?

That Duaflex shot on the left is amazing. Great expression going on.

More please! :)

Ian.

Hello!

Gluttony is supposed to be almost uncomfortable to look at, the shot is actually rotated 90 degrees clockwise as it makes me look even more awkward than the angle it was originally shot at. But looking at it I can see the uncomfortable-ness of the pose, I could be sleeping OR dead.. the image is completely subjective, which is what I'm going for with a lot of my new stuff. It just depends how the viewer wants to see it.. if my gran was looking at it, I can guarantee she'll think I'm sleeping..!

I know.. the thigh the thigh.. again with the angle, but because of the way it was shot, my legs were closer to the camera, therefore closer to the light source and therefore, annoyingly brighter than the rest of the image. maybe I should've put some red hand prints on them to even the image out a bit :p

will take a look back at more duaflex shots later, it's fun lighting with expensive lights and shooting with expensive kit just to end up with something so... simplistic :D But I'm loving the effect it gives, I'll definitely be doing more studio lit TTV shots!

Hello all, just thought I'd update with another shot from the same session as Gluttony :)

Oh Wow!!!!
That one's really good.
Absolutely brilliant detail in the eyes and I love the feel of this.
Do you use a timer for these SPs? I have no idea how you manage to get them so sharp.

I like the uncomfortable pose in gluttony. I think rotating it through 90 degrees has really worked - and there's something quite disconcerting about the pose and the make-up combined with the almost peaceful look on your face.
I can see what Ian means about your thigh, but TBH it doesn't bother me that much. I'm finding my eyes just skipping right over it and going directly to your face.

:thinking: I'm not too sure about The Hunger shots though.
Love the feel of them with the Duaflex, and maybe it's because I'm viewing them small, but I'm not sure what those white bits are in them.
At this size they're distracting me, but maybe if I could view them larger and understand what they are it would make a bit more sense.

Oh Wow!!!!
That one's really good.
Absolutely brilliant detail in the eyes and I love the feel of this.
Do you use a timer for these SPs? I have no idea how you manage to get them so sharp.

I like the uncomfortable pose in gluttony. I think rotating it through 90 degrees has really worked - and there's something quite disconcerting about the pose and the make-up combined with the almost peaceful look on your face.
I can see what Ian means about your thigh, but TBH it doesn't bother me that much. I'm finding my eyes just skipping right over it and going directly to your face.

:thinking: I'm not too sure about The Hunger shots though.
Love the feel of them with the Duaflex, and maybe it's because I'm viewing them small, but I'm not sure what those white bits are in them.
At this size they're distracting me, but maybe if I could view them larger and understand what they are it would make a bit more sense.

Hey Sarah :)

It always depends on what camera I'm using and how I'm taking the photo, but I pretty much always use a remote. For my 450D I have a wireless remote, and my 30D has a wired one. The wireless one is handy but will only work for distances of upto 5m which can be a pain if I want to be further away from the camera, but it does focus when you press the thing, which means I don't have to pre-focus with another object or anything! The 30D remote is more handy because I can set it to go off in however many second intervals, for instance, 5 seconds/10 seconds.. and it focuses before each shot so it's really useful as I can just set it going and then do my thing :)

As for the TTV shots, I've uploaded the left shot for you 800x800 so you can see it bigger. The white squares are reflections from the softbox I used to light the shot.. If I'd have created some sort of tube thing to fit between the lens and the top of the duaflex, I think at least two of these reflections wouldn't be there, but I'm not sure where the light is bouncing from seeing as there's three reflections on there.. something to explore! :)

4579015357_63171de60d_o.jpg

the untitled shot is now titled 'The Aftermath'.. interesting!

Thanks for your ongoing support and comments, critique etc, it all helps me learn!

Week 14 - Cocooned

Well, I've almost caught up.. almost!!

Wanting to try some beauty type shots and work on my retouching.. I really really love the outcome of this shot. I know it's a bit standard compared to the other things I've been doing throughout this thread but I tried making it a bit different to your standard beauty portrait with the hair flick.. Does it work?

4579218128_48744815ce.jpg

Lovely shots, Louise. Not sure why I haven't checked out this thread before now, but there's some really striking (and a few scarey but good) images here! I really like cocooned - an interesting portrait with subtle colours - very appealing.

Phil

I must say your untitled shot of Gluttony is fantastic. The eyes are sharp and spot on!
Only crit is it feels a bit more like fear than gluttony, like a horror movie shot.
Maybe a piece of food in one hand or more of the mouth exposed!?

You PP work as said is wonderful indeed, so much so that you Cocooned shot looks 'normal' and not what I have come to expect from your style.
Go grab that shower curtain and drape yourself in it, you know you want to ;)

Post #207 "Untitled"
OK, I could prattle on about how the forearms are slightly blown (on my screen), but it doesn't matter. Great catchlights, great lighting, wonderful contrastly PP, love the expression, and I love the fact it tells a story. Even having it "untitled" makes it more interesting. You're very good at this....

Week 14: Cocooned.
Is it a bit standard compared to other shots you've done? Yes.
Does it work? Yes.

Again, I think the expression and pose combined with the lighting, composition and PP all work very well.

Another big (y) from me this week.

Ian.

Lovely shots, Louise. Not sure why I haven't checked out this thread before now, but there's some really striking (and a few scarey but good) images here! I really like cocooned - an interesting portrait with subtle colours - very appealing.

Phil

Thank you Phil :)

I must say your untitled shot of Gluttony is fantastic. The eyes are sharp and spot on!
Only crit is it feels a bit more like fear than gluttony, like a horror movie shot.
Maybe a piece of food in one hand or more of the mouth exposed!?

You PP work as said is wonderful indeed, so much so that you Cocooned shot looks 'normal' and not what I have come to expect from your style.
Go grab that shower curtain and drape yourself in it, you know you want to ;)

Yes I was waiting for someone to say that! Unlike my other images, Gluttony was titled whilst I was processing it, so during shooting, there was no theme.. so it's a totally seperate image all on it's own, does that make sense? The outtakes are nothing to do with gluttony, just shots I felt couldn't go un edited :) PS, I titled it "The Aftermath"

Post #207 "Untitled"
OK, I could prattle on about how the forearms are slightly blown (on my screen), but it doesn't matter. Great catchlights, great lighting, wonderful contrastly PP, love the expression, and I love the fact it tells a story. Even having it "untitled" makes it more interesting. You're very good at this....

Week 14: Cocooned.
Is it a bit standard compared to other shots you've done? Yes.
Does it work? Yes.

Again, I think the expression and pose combined with the lighting, composition and PP all work very well.

Another big (y) from me this week.

Ian.

Standard, yes that's the word I was thinking.. I love my cocooned shot, but it's just not.. me! Glad it works though.. maybe next time I'll smear some makeup on my face of something!

As for the TTV shots, I've uploaded the left shot for you 800x800 so you can see it bigger. The white squares are reflections from the softbox I used to light the shot.. If I'd have created some sort of tube thing to fit between the lens and the top of the duaflex, I think at least two of these reflections wouldn't be there, but I'm not sure where the light is bouncing from seeing as there's three reflections on there.. something to explore! :)

Thanks for posting the larger one . . . and it definitely looks better viewed at that size.
It's a shame about those reflections though. I was really hoping that those white squares would be an exciting, integral part of the shot that I was missing out on - they look really solid for reflections.
I suppose it's something to watch out for next time, and they don't detract too much from the shot.

Your cocooned shot works well too. I like the fact that you've done something unusual with the hair and the PP gives it an almost painted feel.

It doesn't make me sit back in my chair and think "wow!" like your others, but that's because it has a softer, gentler feel to it.
Nothing at all wrong with that, and it's good to do something a bit different now and then.

Is there more?

:)

Ian.

Is there more?

:)

Ian.

Indeed. See description. Getting back on track now, I promise. Thank's for holding on, everyone :)

Week 15 - I think I must be dreaming . .
Because things just don't look the same.

I know.. I've been unbelievably slack the past few weeks. A lot has been going on. Too much has been going on, good/bad/ugly/beautiful. Just. Everything, and I don't like it. I have my last portrait shoot for a long while this coming Wednesday. It makes me sad to think about, but really relieved at the same time because I've decided that it's just not for me. I prefer going out on my own with the camera somewhere secret with no one around, no one to impress, no one.. there. Just me, my camera and somewhere beautiful. That's what I want. Looking back, I think that's what I've always wanted, I just didn't know it until now.

I'm going to catch up with this project in the next coulpe of weeks, and then I'll be back on track and I'll have the time to really concentrate on producing great concepts and images for people to enjoy if they so wish :)

4690349399_b247bcaea8.jpg

Week 16 - Negative Space

I think I hate this shot. I hate the crop, I hate the processing, I even hate the negative space.

4699155783_db3d181db3.jpg

Wow Louise, your ideas and visions come to life in the images... there's so much to see in them... I just wish I had half your imagination and flair (well not your's specifically...:D... but ... )

Week 17 - I can fly, can you?

When I was about 4, I remember going to school and during play time, I'd find my 'special' paving slab. I know right.. a paving slab that is special. Anyway, when I stood on it all of a sudden I began floating about 6 inches off of the floor. It only even happened on that one slab so I never got very far, and of course no one ever saw me do it.. for some reason though, I have vivid memories of it happening.. which is bizarre because if I heard anyone say that, I wouldn't believe them, but I KNOW that I could fly, even if it was just 6 inches from the ground. How high can you fly?

YEESSSSS it's a cliche levvie shot, BUT who wouldn't want to try it out? This was so much fun to shoot, although I nearly fell and injured myself a fair few times.. and my 30D had some Err#99 problems. I also wish my face was in view, my pose was different, and that I'd have shot it from a different angle, but we can't have everything now can we?

Ooh yeah, right.. I made that dress too, for a lovely LOVELY girlie in Canada. It's unfinished in this shot, but I wanted to use it before sending it off!
She made me one too, expect to see some images with me using it.. it is beyond amazing!

Enjoy :)

4726862477_3bf3ba807a.jpg

As I said last night on Twitter Louise, I think that's a stunning image. Terrific processing :)

Oh and nice dress too ;)

Flying... I'm not jealous... much... Love it... stunning image, and the processing is spot on. There's a real Peter Pan feel about it too.

There's a real Peter Pan feel about it too.

I couldn't put my finger on what it reminded me of, but that's it John :)

A stunning image Louise. It can't have been easy to get the timing right. Yes, your face isn't showing but I don't think that matters. You are very talented both in photography and dressmaking. I would love to have your imagination and flair (y)

As an aside have you seen this weeks amateur photographer (26th June) ? There is a feature on a young female photographer who is doing a 365 and the lead shot is a levitational one :LOL:

Andy

As I said last night on Twitter Louise, I think that's a stunning image. Terrific processing :)

Oh and nice dress too ;)

thank you so much :) I'll definitely be doing more of these!

Flying... I'm not jealous... much... Love it... stunning image, and the processing is spot on. There's a real Peter Pan feel about it too.

I LOVE peter pan! it's my all time favourite story! thanks :)

A stunning image Louise. It can't have been easy to get the timing right. Yes, your face isn't showing but I don't think that matters. You are very talented both in photography and dressmaking. I would love to have your imagination and flair (y)

As an aside have you seen this weeks amateur photographer (26th June) ? There is a feature on a young female photographer who is doing a 365 and the lead shot is a levitational one :LOL:

Andy

Ooh I had the old 30D plugged in to a remote thingumy to take a photo every 10 seconds or so, which was fine, until my past 'pose'.. where I was balancing so carefully on the stupid thing, it would've been a great shot, but the stupis error99 ruined it, my back & neck were aching so I just left with the shots I already had :(

I haven't seen that issue yet but I'll be sure to pop in to tesco later to have a peek, sounds interesting :) Do you know who the photographer is doing the 365?

Thanks for your comment :)

Week 18 - Black and Blissful, Tumbling

For a long time now I’ve been at war with myself, it took me over 3 years to take this photo, and then another 7 months to show it publicly under my own name (it has been posted on TP before but I don't think I admitted that it was me in the picture or that it had some deep dark secret to go along with it!). Not because it’s me and I’ve not got any clothes on, but because I was hiding it, I was hiding the meaning behind it and waiting until I was strong enough to post it along with a good enough description to go with it so that people can view it and understand why I took it.

Anyway, after those 7 months of hiding the image and meaning from people, I still don’t want to put a full description. I personally don’t think the photo needs it nor do I think the world and his uncle needs to read about it.

So here it is, my hidden photograph with no explanation - open for your own interpretation.

4733288298_747b72c110.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, to go from the nice angelic week 17 to the demonic week 18 without a health warning is just wrong, lol!!

The expression within week 18 is awesome, half crazed, half starved, great work ;)

Yes, yes, excellent! Week 18 has a 70s werewolf sexploitation splatter movie feel to it, just after transforming back into human form in the shower the creature is surprised by Norman Bates :clap:

New to your portrait series, very very nice.. (y)

OMG Louise - those last two are AMAZING !!!!!!!!

Week 17 is beautiful, ethereal and stunning.
The dress is perfect for the shot and it looks pretty much finished to me, and I think the fact that you can't see your face almost adds something to the overall image.
Technically, the lighter patches on the dress look ever so slightly overexposed on my monitor, but again I don't think that's a flaw. To me that just adds to the dreamlike quality.

Week 18 - well you couldn't get a more different shot to week 17, but I love this one too.

I don't think it matters at all that we don't know the story behind it. IMO the image is more than strong enough to stand on its own.
In fact, without your personal story it leaves it open for the viewer to relate it to the dark corners of their own minds. To me, it speaks of insecurity, self loathing and desperation. There's also a certain strength there combined with the vulnerability.
Maybe not necessarily what you wanted to convey, but that's what it says to me.

WOW, to go from the nice angelic week 17 to the demonic week 18 without a health warning is just wrong, lol!!

The expression within week 18 is awesome, half crazed, half starved, great work ;)

I know.. I have a habit of doing stuff like that! Emotions constantly changing, which is good for my creativeness and makes the thread different almost every week (when I actually post weekly!)

Thanks for the comment :) The expression is REALLLLL!

Yes, yes, excellent! Week 18 has a 70s werewolf sexploitation splatter movie feel to it, just after transforming back into human form in the shower the creature is surprised by Norman Bates :clap:

New to your portrait series, very very nice.. (y)

You're definitely not the first person to make a Psycho/Hitchcock reference on this image :)
Thanks very much!

OMG Louise - those last two are AMAZING !!!!!!!!

Week 17 is beautiful, ethereal and stunning.
The dress is perfect for the shot and it looks pretty much finished to me, and I think the fact that you can't see your face almost adds something to the overall image.
Technically, the lighter patches on the dress look ever so slightly overexposed on my monitor, but again I don't think that's a flaw. To me that just adds to the dreamlike quality.

Week 18 - well you couldn't get a more different shot to week 17, but I love this one too.

I don't think it matters at all that we don't know the story behind it. IMO the image is more than strong enough to stand on its own.
In fact, without your personal story it leaves it open for the viewer to relate it to the dark corners of their own minds. To me, it speaks of insecurity, self loathing and desperation. There's also a certain strength there combined with the vulnerability.
Maybe not necessarily what you wanted to convey, but that's what it says to me.

Hi Sarah, nice to hear from you :)

The over exposure in week 17 is a right pain in the backside. All the detail shows up on my monitor but a lot of monitors don't like my photos :(
The dress was nearly finished but I needed to add some buttons to the bodice. You can read about the whole dress here which has more detailed pictures of the finished garment.. anywho back to my photography!

Week 18 - the diffence in style of week 17 & 18 is actually rather scary.. but that's just me! Thanks for your take on the image, you're almost half way there. I like to leave some of my more personal images without description as it means that the viewer can put their own take on it and can often relate themselves to it in a way which they wouldn't be able to had it had a written description with it :) (does that make sense?!)

Thanks very much for your lovely comments!

Good grief Louise... what a total difference in style... Sarah has summed up what the image says to me so well... add to that a feeling of enclosed/imprisonment which the walls behind show... it sends a cold shiver down my spine to look at it....

OMG!!! & WOW there is nothing in this thread that i don't like, i will keep looking at this thread as it gets better and better

Good grief Louise... what a total difference in style... Sarah has summed up what the image says to me so well... add to that a feeling of enclosed/imprisonment which the walls behind show... it sends a cold shiver down my spine to look at it....

Thank you :) If you didn't see the thread I started a while back containing week 18, you can see it here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=156743 there are some very interesting ideas in there :) Don't look on there if you don't want to find out what it's about though.. I did try to mask it out, but someone got it spot on :p

OMG!!! & WOW there is nothing in this thread that i don't like, i will keep looking at this thread as it gets better and better

Wow.. thank you very much! :) I have the most AMAZING idea for week 20! it involves bandages (maybe)!! So keep an eye out!

Week 19 - National Motivation Day

Is TODAY! July 1st. I know the week number doesn't correspond with the actual week that it is now, but since today is the day, I will upload as it seems fitting!

We're currently trying to get #uknmd trending on twitter.. but so far we're not having much luck!

This image in particular was taken specifically for the UK National Motivation Day campaign - 'what motivates you?'
There's no special meaning behind it and the quote is absolutely true :)

4751350111_d3b7e368b4.jpg

Week 20 - Somewhere Inbetween

This amazing dress was made for me by a friend in Canada. In return I made her the green dress that you can see me wearing in week 17.

The idea behind this shot was to create some sort of puppet show in levitation format! But I ran into all sorts of problems and this particular shot has turned out more 'pinup' swing acrobat style than puppet, and it also reminds me of a carousel.. but I quite like it. I've added a bit of a retro processing to it go go with the theme, I'm not happy about the skin tone but I can live with it, I did consider painting some colour back in but I'll just live with it and learn for next time :)

I've just realised that 'between' has the weirdest spelling ever.. interesting!

4764278902_e0b80ea0d2.jpg

week 19... the idea is good and it works, but ... I'm not sure about the almost in shot eyes... you've just got the edge of your lower lids in... I reckon all in or all out... although even then I'm not sure on where I'd crop it ... that's not very helpful I know...

week 20... superb, fits brilliantly with the other shot of the dress you made for your friend too... both have the sort of flying context in them. I like it.

week 21... great idea, you're still wearing that dress aren't you ?? This works very well, and the falling keys add to the effect that you blew them off your hand.

:clap: :clap:

Back