weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2018 - Week 52 Showcase added & COMPLETE

Come on hurry up, I'm finished :ROFLMAO::p
LOL Georgina :)

I really really like that shot Andrea. The OCD in me might have searched through the trolleys to find one that didn't have a bent side, but actually, I think it adds to the fun, so I would have been wrong.
The contrast of the motion blur and sharp focus in the same plane isn't something you see often and that it's unexpected really adds to the image.
:clap:

Motion is a cracking image Andrea, bet the security were keeping an eye on you, love it.

Thanks, Dave. I was half expecting a tap on the shoulder at any minute, but it never came :D

Come on hurry up, I'm finished :ROFLMAO::p

Cheeky mare! You've taken two months off :p :rolleyes:

Motion, great shot, choosing a supermarket has given some lovely variation in the colours.

Thanks, Roger, you're right that the colours give it the sense of motion. I can tell you that the main colours on the left are from cat food and cat litter, and on the right it's washing detergents :)

LOL Georgina :)

I really really like that shot Andrea. The OCD in me might have searched through the trolleys to find one that didn't have a bent side, but actually, I think it adds to the fun, so I would have been wrong.
The contrast of the motion blur and sharp focus in the same plane isn't something you see often and that it's unexpected really adds to the image.
:clap:

Thanks, Tim - I noticed the bent side of the trolley as I wheeled it into the shop and it did cross my mind, but then I thought it would add something different against the blurred straight lines and that's how it turned out. You can tell that these trolleys lead hard lives by the dents and rust!

Glad you like it; too long an exposure recorded vibration in the trolley too so this one (1/2 second) hit the happy medium.

Week 51 - Party

51 Party by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

This is a bit of a cheat, the only photo of my 52 that was not taken in the right week, but I have nothing more suitable as the only 'party'-ish images taken over Christmas are disgracefully lop-sided :D I was testing the bokeh of this lens by deliberately rendering the Christmas lights out of focus, and I hope the warm colours and bright lights do convey something of a party feel.

Motion: Amazing image Andrea, the super wide PoV really works so well....such a feeling of speed....fantastic!
I see it was 1/2 sec exposure, but my goodness it looks like you're doing about 40mph!!
A great story and perfect for the theme. (y)

Party: Another superb image, very simple but very effective....I do like me a bit of bokeh!

Last edited:
Motion: Amazing image Andrea, the super wide PoV really works so well....such a feeling of speed....fantastic!
I see it was 1/2 sec exposure, but my goodness it looks like you're doing about 40mph!!
A great story and perfect for the theme. (y)

Party: Another superb image, very simple but very effective....I do like me a bit of bokeh!

Thanks, Gareth, you're right, it does look as though I was speeding! I was pleased with the result and the slightly zany effect of the different colours. Glad you like the Party image too; that one is all about the bokeh :)

Party bokeh is a very nice colourful image Andrea, very well taken and it fits the theme bang on.

Thanks, Dave, glad it works (y)

Aww so pretty :D

Only one more to go now!:woot::ROFLMAO:

I bet you can guess which one it'll be... :)

Loving motion Andrea, a cool idea! The perseverance has certainly paid off!

Party, Lovely bit of bokeh there and nice colour too.

Thanks, Michael, I definitely felt uncomfortable going up and down the aisles and fiddling with a camera balanced on top of my handbag, but apparently didn't attract any attention :D

Week 52 - Showcase

52 Showcase
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I really like this idea to finish the 52, @Cobra. I'd like to say it encouraged me to review my images from the year but in all honesty, although I did look back over the 52 and a few others, and Week 50 Motion is a current favourite, there is only one choice for me.

This is not only one of the best sunsets I have ever witnessed, but the image won the annual inter-club competition on the island last month so it's a real favourite of mine and I will probably print and hang it. It was taken a few minutes after the image I used for Match (week 19).

So that's it, my second completed 52! :banana: I am already looking forward to next year's and aiming to keep up to date for the whole year this time.

Last edited:
I really like this idea to finish the 52, @Cobra. I'd like to say it encouraged me to review my images from the year but in all honesty, although I did look back over the 52 and a few others, and Week 50 Motion is a current favourite, there is only one choice for me.
It did seem a popular choice of theme, *maybe* I'll do something similar for the end of next years 52 ...

Stunning image Andrea!:clap:
As Dave has said the beautifully captured reflections and wonderful colours make for a truly outstanding image!
The canoeists are perfectly placed focal points that really draw ones eye through the image.
I really like the shadow reflections of the cliff on the surface ripples.

Congratulations Andrea for completing your 52, can't wait for the next 52 challenge to see more of your super images!(y)

Hi Andrea,

Party - Some nice bokeh you have going on there. Is it some kind of disco ball or cylinder? I ask as it seems to have curvature rather than being in a single plane.
Nicely on theme :)

Showcase - Cracking shot that. I'm surprised it's not already printed and on your wall.
The colours, the imagery and even the horizon is horizontal ;)

What no Wilma!! Seriously though, excellent one to finish with. Well done :D

Fank yew :)

I thought you might finish with a good shot for showcase but sadly not :D You finished with a showcase image that is a fantastic shot imo, you have caught the lighting and colours beautifully and reflections too plus the two people in the canoe really makes the shot WOW :clap::clap:

Thanks very much, Dave. To be honest the image is all about Mother Nature and I was just lucky to be there and to spot the kayakers returning home.

Stunning image Andrea!:clap:
As Dave has said the beautifully captured reflections and wonderful colours make for a truly outstanding image!
The canoeists are perfectly placed focal points that really draw ones eye through the image.
I really like the shadow reflections of the cliff on the surface ripples.

Congratulations Andrea for completing your 52, can't wait for the next 52 challenge to see more of your super images!(y)

Thank you, Gareth we are lucky to live five minutes from this bay and it really was the best sunset I can remember seeing. It just got better and better over the course of about 15 minutes and my little Fuji was busy with all my clicking :D

Hi Andrea,

Party - Some nice bokeh you have going on there. Is it some kind of disco ball or cylinder? I ask as it seems to have curvature rather than being in a single plane.
Nicely on theme :)

Showcase - Cracking shot that. I'm surprised it's not already printed and on your wall.
The colours, the imagery and even the horizon is horizontal ;)

The Party image is a section of a huge Christmas tree made of red bulbs strung on wires running from top to bottom, so you're right - there is some curvature and you can see through the 'tree' to some of the lights on the far side too. It was the ideal subject for some bokeh!

I most definitely will get that sunset printed and framed; it's won a club and an inter-club competition this year so it's been good to me, and it's all thanks to the 52 that I went out that evening anyway, looking for another image! :D

Party
It's a kaleidoscope of colours and bokeh.

Showcase
It's a lovely sunset and the two kayakers (is that a real word) in the foreground and a little something.

Party
It's a kaleidoscope of colours and bokeh.

Showcase
It's a lovely sunset and the two kayakers (is that a real word) in the foreground and a little something.

Thanks, Dominic. Kayakers is how we refer to them but you had me wondering if it's a local term so I checked and it is in use elsewhere. I owe these two a drink :)

Back