weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2019 - 19 & 20 DECAY & FREE WEEK added

Thanks, Pete, it was well worth the trip and the muddy boots and knees!

Thanks - who’s Pete?

Terrific work Andrea!
So much detail, and those rich colours! Lovely!
Definitely qualifies for the theme....and certainly not a (horse)-shoe-horn!:giggle:
Spectacular!(y)

Thanks, Gareth, it was one of those moments when the light is just right and it picked out the colours of those lovely horses.

Definitely fits the theme Andrea. Love how the lighting has emphasised the colouring of the horse on the left. Really lovelly image from you yet again.:)

Thank you very much, Mandy. I agree about the light - it seems to take your eye straight to the horse on the left and then through the scene. They were a gorgeous pair.

I like the image Andrea well done.
Cold and Waiting are both brilliant captures. DOF on both is really good. Lighting on the ice cream has a lovely feel to it

Thank you for looking back through the images and commenting :)

Very good shot indeed. Composition is just right, very sharp and colourful.

Thanks, Bob, they were great subjects and the light broke through at the right moment!

Lovely image Andrea, nicely framed and fits the theme really well. I might have been tempted to clone out the wires that run through the sky?

Thanks, Carl. You're right about the wires, and I can't believe I didn't notice them until I uploaded it and linked it here. You'll be pleased to know I have now gone back and got rid of them, and I'll probably have to do it on quite a few images from the event as they ran right over the field :banghead:

A very different take on the theme. I don't even know such competition exists. Two beautiful animals.

Thank you, Stan, they were lovely animals. They have a few similar contests here throughout the winter for horses and various types of tractors - this one was organised by the local Young Farmers - so you may find something similar. As a photographer, it's well worth a trip if there are.

Very nice Andrea, fits the theme well. Good composition, lighting and colours!

Thanks, Dom (y)

Lovely image and pin sharp with a beautiful background. Well done.

Thank you, Joan :)

I really like the waiting the DOF works very well indeed sending the seating oof.

And rough is very good it’s a rough job and a rough life and they have really roughed the ground up :)

Great work Andrea, there seems to be a few similar images floating around for this weeks theme, not this one! Well done!

Rough
Love a good horse photo.

Thanks Dominic, they were a very striking pair.

I really like the waiting the DOF works very well indeed sending the seating oof.

And rough is very good it’s a rough job and a rough life and they have really roughed the ground up :)

Thank you, Peter, glad you like them :)

Great work Andrea, there seems to be a few similar images floating around for this weeks theme, not this one! Well done!

Thanks, Daniel, it was nice to go out and see something different :)

Love this image. What beautiful detail to it. Those horses are amazing

Andrea, that’s so nice. The detail, setting just right. Well taken

Thanks, Chris, there was lots going on and I took quite a few images but this is my favourite.

Love this image. What beautiful detail to it. Those horses are amazing

Thanks, Ian, there were vintage tractors and two other pairs of horses but these girls stole the show :)

Great Image Andrea. The tension in the ropes show it's an action shot, not staged.
Great colours and not something you see everyday.

Thanks, Tim, I hadn't noticed the ropes but yes they were working hard and it was great to see the effort and skill on show. The horses were the stars but the old tractors were well loved, too.

Week 08 - Object

08 Object by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Our lovely doggy is definitely the object of affection in our house so I think she's a perfect subject for this theme. It has also been my objecti-ve to get a new photo showing off her amazing brown eyes like this, so I think it counts on that front too! She rarely sits still long enough for a photo so thanks to my husband for standing behind me and attracting her attention for a moment :)

I did a back and white version too, but it lost the impact of her bright brown eyes so I prefer the colour version.

Edit: it's lost a little bit of detail in her coat somewhere compared to the original so I'll take a look again tomorrow.

Edit 2: I have started from scratch and replaced version 1 with a new one, hopefully with a better white balance and recovered some of the highlights now.

Last edited:
Yet another lovely shot, it is simply spot on. :cool:

lovely portrait of the dog, having two of them I know how hard it is to get a decent picture
if you don't mind me saying the WB looks a little off the blacks look a little blue,
I think this site might be the issue as to losing detail.

Yet another lovely shot, it is simply spot on. :cool:

Thank you, Roger, I have just replaced last night's version with a re-edited one to correct a white balance and highlights issue. That'll teach me to edit late at night on the laptop! She's still a baby and I was lucky to take this one as she has the knack of moving just as I release the shutter :)

That is a lovely picture Andrea, highlights above the nose are a little bright. Well done on getting a picture like this, I can imagine the boundless energy!

lovely portrait of the dog, having two of them I know how hard it is to get a decent picture
if you don't mind me saying the WB looks a little off the blacks look a little blue,
I think this site might be the issue as to losing detail.

Thank you both for your accurate feedback - I have just replaced last night's version with a re-edited one to try to correct the white balance and highlights issue. That'll teach me to edit late at night on the laptop! We were in a misty plantation with trees just above and grass below and I think all the green light and shade threw things out a bit. She's always on the go but she sat still just long enough for this one :)

Completely adorable puppy portrait Andrea!!(y)
Fantastic sharpness and detail....and indeed those eyes are beautiful!
Perfect exposure, and composition too.
Masterful!

You are very kind, Gareth :) I have re-edited and re-linked a newer version as some of the highlights were blown on her nose and there was a hint of green in her coat from the surroundings - I will try to avoid editing at night on the laptop in future!

Beautiful image of your lovely pup Andrea, agree with Allan that the site effects the shot but it`s still a cracker.

Thanks, Dave, I have edited it again and re-linked to the new version so hopefully it's a bit better than the late night version of last night :)

What a beautiful shot!! Enough said.

Thank you, Bob, she's a lovely model, although rarely sits this still :D

Lovely photo and lovely dog. She is pin sharp so you did well to get her to stay still. One for the memory books!

Her eyes are really brown! Really nice image Andrea, missed the first one, but this one looks great.

Fab looking pooch :D

Lovely image Andrea, lovely dog too!

Object
Lovely photo, I feel your pain at getting a dog to pose properly for a good photo. Even though my Ruby is past the days of running around, she won't look at the camera if it's pointed at her.

That's a great, great image Andrea. The detail you've got into this, with the DOF does your dog so much justice. Love this

Lovely photo and lovely dog. She is pin sharp so you did well to get her to stay still. One for the memory books!

Thank you, Joan, luckily my husband caught her attention for a few seconds!

Lovely shot Andrea. I missed the original edit, but this looks spot on.

Thanks, Tim, I had lost some highlight detail in the original but it's mostly there now :)

Her eyes are really brown! Really nice image Andrea, missed the first one, but this one looks great.
Fab looking pooch :D
Looks like it's concentrating on something! Nice looking dog and a great image to go with it.
Lovely image Andrea, lovely dog too!

Thank you all, she (can be) a lovely girl! She's still young and has her moments :) It was nice to get this rare opportunity for a 'posed' image.

Object
Lovely photo, I feel your pain at getting a dog to pose properly for a good photo. Even though my Ruby is past the days of running around, she won't look at the camera if it's pointed at her.

Thanks Dominic, I think that makes it all the more special when you do get a nice one - and you have some lovely ones of Ruby.

That's a great, great image Andrea. The detail you've got into this, with the DOF does your dog so much justice. Love this

Thanks very much, Ian :)

Object - as others have said, simply a lovely portrait. Really detailed. Great colour and background. Really nice.

Thanks Lee, I do like the background here too. It made the light a bit challenging but I just about got away with it :)

Andrea, did you bribe her to sit so still ? Nice image must admit

Thanks, Chris, she was watching my husband's hand as he held her attention and she did get a little biscuit afterwards :D

Week 09 - Wet

09 Wet
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I'm a bit late with this one after a cold knocked the stuffing out of me for a week, but with the winds raging today it seemed the ideal opportunity to go out and catch some waves. Only with a camera though, not a surf board!

I had pondered some long exposure work but underestimated the wind, which almost blew me off my feet at times, so this is a straight-on shot of a wave just before it broke on the beach and I like the way it looks almost like a solid shelf standing above the spray. As you can see it was a grey day and it was tempting to make this monochrome, but I like the hint of cold blue tones in the water.

Last edited:
Brrrrrrr.... nice shapes in there!

Wet
Looks good to me. It's like a giant wall of water, because there is nothing to give it any scale (not a criticism).

Back