weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2019 - 19 & 20 DECAY & FREE WEEK added

Crowd: well, I hope you had a good day with Her Majesty! Nice image, great colours and looks very summery.

It was a lovely afternoon, Jim; nice to be there with the sun shining, bands playing, and people enjoying the occasion. Sadly Her Majesty had a better offer so we were hosted by Charles, Camilla and Anne. We were within about 10 feet of the first two but there was a real lack of genteel manners when it came to people elbowing past you to get closer as they passed. It was quite funny to observe!

Lovely image for crowd Andrea, looks like a nice time was had by all and the building as a BG is great.

Thanks Dave, it was a nice afternoon and great to be there, especially if you were content not to be part of the scramble I described above :)

Andrea, right on theme and a nice composition !

Thanks Chris, I was surprised to see people sitting on the grass in their finery and it made a colourful scene.

That looks very crowded and perfect for theme. Loads to look at throughout the image and great background.

Thanks, Ian - the people on the grass caught my eye, along with the bright colours, and it seemed perfect.

Great shot Andrea!(y)
Couldn't be a more perfect fit for the theme.
Great framing and composition too.

Thanks Gareth, I was pleased to be able to fill the foreground with such colourful people :)

Week 19 - Decay (+ Macro/close-up technique)

19 Decay
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I have had this idea in my head almost since the theme was announced but only today had the time and conditions to give it a go. Desaturated slightly in processing and added a slight vignette to give it a more aged look.

This should also tick the box for the Macro/close-up technique as I used an extension tube to get in close.

Last edited:
Decay
I like it, the desaturated look works well. I think you could add a couple of graduated filters (not real one's) in the top left corner and bottom right corner. To give the impression of a beam of light onto the flower. Does that make sense, I may not have explained it very well.

That's a really nice picture, which I think is difficult with 'decay'. The depth & colours look perfect to me.

Excellent, nothing else to say :clap:

Thank you very much, Allan - I was inspired by some of your flower images to try this :)

Decay
I like it, the desaturated look works well. I think you could add a couple of graduated filters (not real one's) in the top left corner and bottom right corner. To give the impression of a beam of light onto the flower. Does that make sense, I may not have explained it very well.

Thanks, Dominic, and that does make sense. I will have a look at that over the weekend!

That's a really nice picture, which I think is difficult with 'decay'. The depth & colours look perfect to me.

Thank you, Mark, I have been saving this flower for a couple of weeks so had to use it before the petals all fell off :)

Agree with Allan, plus fantastic imo :clap::clap:

Thank you very much, Dave (y)

Week 20 - Free week/Snapper's Choice

20 Free (as a Bird) by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

We spent this day in London and I have a lot of architectural and people images, but this is one of my favourites because of the lovely sky, the tiny appearance of the aircraft and the contrast of the straight line of its contrail against the puffs of clouds.

Free is a nice shot Andrea, like the plane in view and agree the contrast of the lines goes together well.

Thanks Dave, it was a lovely scene and seemed to (just about) fit the theme.

Super images yet again Andrea!:clap:
Decay: What can be said that hasn't already been said? Simply excellent image, expertly processed! Perfect!
Free: Fantastic cloud patterns there, and the contrails are terrific!
First class!(y)

Thank you, Gareth, the flower took several attempts but I got there in the end. The plane was just lucky timing :)

Andrea, what you have done for decay has to be my favourite. I love the way you have processed the colours, truly lovely !

Thanks Chris, I took a lot of images for that one to get an angle I liked and then played around with the processing for a while but I like the end result; glad you do too :)

Hi there Andrea,

I'm loving your recent shots.
Crowded is a great shot for the theme and what a backdrop!
Decay is simply beautiful. Perfectly sharp and the desaturated colours work really well with the gentle colour of the flower :clap:
Nice choice for your free week. Lovely detail in the cloud structure and a wonder blue sky.

Oh dear, after completing two successive 52s this one will go down as a poor effort. :( The will was there but not the time; I haven't been on TP for months so I'm way behind with all of the threads I used to follow daily. I will see if I can manage a couple of the final themes and then think about starting again properly in January.

The main challenge for me has been my involvement with my photography club; I joined the committee last year and this summer was appointed as Chair (after some unforeseen changes) as well as taking on the complete rebuild of the club's website. My committee duties on top of preparing entries for the monthly competitions eat up most of my spare time and photographic 'energy' but I do miss the 52. We have just got a big inter-club event out of the way so I'm hoping things might settle down a little bit.

Thank you to everyone who has viewed and commented on my images this year. I'm looking forward to seeing what themes and images I have missed!

Last edited:
Back