Minx 52 for 2020

Yep - nice triple butterfly stampy thing shots!

Tool - This is my Big shot, it is for Die cutting and embossing

tool
by Alison White, on Flickr

Hi Alison,
I love the story telling in your photo, beautifully thought out and executed. I colourful background makes it stand out all the better.

I'm sensing a theme here... Not that that is any bad thing! This looks like a single shot (?) - but the triptych type treatment (and try say that quickly three times...) works very nicely to tell a story - I will apologise in advance if I "borrow" this technique!
This is three shots the black butterfly outline that appears in all 3 images is the die and I only have one that size.

I love the vintage look about this, and the paper and dies on either side tells the story. Nicely laid out.

Is your big shot really black? I’ve been watching a lot of paper crafting videos lately and haven’t seen any black ones. Looks like a very handy tool to have in your arsenal. I’m trying to resist getting into it [emoji16]

Yes my big shot is black, I have had it some time, shortly after I got it, they brought one out in a pretty aqua. There are a lot of electronic ones which tend to be cream/white.

Great triptych and interesting story! I like the lighting and the background colour. My only critique would be that the middle picture is a bit tightly framed. As you want to be the butterflies to be the same size, maybe you could have taken the middle picture 1.5 time the width of the other ones?

Hi Alison, those are two lovely and unusual images for Pleasure and Tool. I like the way you have presented the stamp and the print so we can see the result, and I also really like the colours of the two sheets of paper underneath, which complement the colour of the wood and the ink. Really nicely done (y)

Your images for Tool are fascinating; I've never seen one of those before and it's a great choice to arrange the images in a triptych to show the process. The background colour is beautiful, too!

Very creative triptych Alison, and a terrific story.
I didn't have the faintest idea what a 'Big Shot' was, until now, so thank you for educating me!:)
Great work, both on the butterflies and the image!(y)
I'm curious though....do you make your own dies?
I'm assuming they must be metal?
Or could they be made from an epoxy resin or similar, using a liquid silicone type rubber to form the moulds?

Very creative triptych Alison, and a terrific story.
I didn't have the faintest idea what a 'Big Shot' was, until now, so thank you for educating me!:)
Great work, both on the butterflies and the image!(y)
I'm curious though....do you make your own dies?
I'm assuming they must be metal?
Or could they be made from an epoxy resin or similar, using a liquid silicone type rubber to form the moulds?

I don't make my own dies, but I am sure some one with the right skills could. They are metal and can be very intricate I used that one as I actually wanted two dozen grey butterflies for a project. The Big Shot is similar to a mangle, the dies are not sharp but when squeezed through the Big shot its thin edge is pushed through the card, paper or fabric that you are cutting.

Hi Alison,
Great shot for pleasure. Nicely composed and perfect for the theme with plenty of detail.
I really like how you have presented your shot for Tool. It tells a story and, as Andrea has mentioned, the BG is a perfect colour to make the images pop.

Discarded, I would like one of those. I like your silhouette, has the tree stump been carved?

You wouldn't want it in that condition though. Yes the tree is a carving as above, you managed to get in between my posts

Hey Ali,
Discarded - Makes you wonder why it has Police tape on it. It's dumped and burnt out, but it makes you wonder if it was involved in a crime of some kind.
Snappers Choice+Tech - Bang on for the technique and an interesting shape. I'm glad you also posted a shot where the detail can be seen as it is evidently an interesting thing, which is only hinted at in the silhouette.

Discarded is a clever composition that brings context to the sad waste.
Snappers Choice is a very good image.

Discarded
Nothing that a little duck tape and WD40 won't sort out

Silhouette
I'm glad you posted the other version, as version 1 looked like some kind of medieval torture implement.
:D

Both fine images and both very much on theme Alison.

I like the way you've framed the discarded theme pic. It tells a story.

I like the silhouette for Snapper's and would never have guessed that it looked like that without the explanatory pic.

Nice shot for tool, nice composition and exposure :)

Broken

broken
by Alison White, on Flickr

Not the most inspiring shot, I did get some shots of some deer one had only one antler but at the limit of the zoom on my phone and they were not very good

Last edited:
Wild, lovely detail on Heron #1 Alison

Broken, short sweet and to the point.

Great shot for wild, like the detail and you have got the focus spot on the eye.
Broken I tend to agree with you not the most inspiring shot! Fits the theme though.

Wild is a great shot, broken does what it says. Some difficult themes so far, keep at it :)

Ability- great take on the theme

Winter - yep certainly a wintery garden I like the inclusion of the bench.

Ability, that's a clever take on the theme and an interesting activity.

Hi Alison

Nice take on the ability theme.

Nice shot of an old tree in the winter garden, nice moss detail which shows up better on Flickr.

Pete

Last edited:
My phone give me the abilty to find Geocaches
I've no idea what that is, but it seems to fit the theme, Alison :)

Back