weekly Mr.Si's 52 Week Challenge - Final Photos Added

I too prefer the second image and would have been more impressed if you had taken a crop to the size of the second image from the first image; I like the horizontal position of the first picture, it was just too far away (hope that makes sense).

Definitely the 2nd image for me, draws the eye and creates more interest (y)

2nd by a country mile for me, love the strong diagonal line running through, sharp focus on the lock and the texture in the case, and even getting some sparkly bokeh round the rear lock.

Looks great viewed full screen!

I'd almost go so far as to say they look like they were taken by two different people

Hi Simon, only just got round to visiting your thread, sorry.
You are off to a great start, the second edit of play with the selective colour works well, it draws the eye down to the subject.
And
your second one for close works best for me, I like how it fills the frame, good work (y)

Ah, that's better. :beer:

What a great idea and you get to eat your theme idea also, love the colours and reflection.

HI ya

Close....another vote for the 2nd image (y)...dunno why but the angle works much better & the mono is far more interesting than the color version for some reason :thinking:

Bubble......like the placement of the chocolates , colors look fairly true to life (y) Need to clone out the couple of marks toward the top left & possible use of a reflector would have put a smidge more light on to the round chocolates ?

What a great idea and you get to eat your theme idea also, love the colours and reflection.

Thank you. :)

HI ya

Close....another vote for the 2nd image (y)...dunno why but the angle works much better & the mono is far more interesting than the color version for some reason :thinking:

Bubble......like the placement of the chocolates , colors look fairly true to life (y) Need to clone out the couple of marks toward the top left & possible use of a reflector would have put a smidge more light on to the round chocolates ?

Thank you. Ah yes I didn't see them. I'm yet to invest in a reflector so thank you, I will bear that in mind. :)

Thank you. :)

Thank you. Ah yes I didn't see them. I'm yet to invest in a reflector so thank you, I will bear that in mind. :)

I used a large sheet of very stiff cardboard covered in silver foil originally......worked ok , just to see what difference it made. Now bought a collapsible 5 in 1 circular one from fleabay for about £7...works a treat & didn't break the bank :)

Great idea - we don't get them over here - I'm guessing mint aero? Look good enough to eat :D

Hi Simon,

Bubble - I like the composition and the reflection. It does however look a little dark and also a little noisy, so I had a look at the Exif info on Flickr. It tells me you shot this at ISO 3200 at f20, and I was wondering why?

Hi there, thanks for the comment and question. Lighting was very changeable for this one and we don't have the best places to take photos.
So the lighting was natural from the windows in our kitchen along with the ceiling light.
We wanted the whole thing to be fully in focus and so I kept upping aperture until I was happy. ISO was auto from a previous situation I was in. The image didn't look noisy to me, I think it may be the texture of the aero bubble balls.

However, you probably have more trained eyes than me so I appreciate it. I know they look like odd settings. There are certainly things I may try again differently another time.

Hi, agree with above about it being a little dark, composition is fine just needs a little more light

Excellent composition, great idea, love the fact you placed it on a mirror (y)

As I did with mine, cloning out the marks on the glass would make it look a little better :)

Hi Simon,

Bubble - I like the composition and the reflection. It does however look a little dark and also a little noisy, so I had a look at the Exif info on Flickr. It tells me you shot this at ISO 3200 at f20, and I was wondering why?

Simon, I thought it looked noisy too,did exactly the same as Nat, looked at the exif and did wonder why ISO 3200/ f20 :thinking:

I am in no way close to knowing what I'm doing with every photo I take, but did you use a tripod? I would have thought that on a tripod, f8, a lot lower ISO, 200? and a shutter speed to match the two would have certainly helped with quality of the image :)

I'm gutted but I understand my technical settings were incorrect.

I wonder if it will be possible to have another go. I might make a back drop before a reshoot week and have another go with better settings.

Thank you to all for pointing it out as I hadn't noticed.

Lighting the subject is hard!

I'm gutted but I understand my technical settings were incorrect.

I wonder if it will be possible to have another go. I might make a back drop before a reshoot week and have another go with better settings.

Thank you to all for pointing it out as I hadn't noticed.

Lighting the subject is hard!

Simon, I wouldn't be gutted, its a cracking image (y)

I just find, when shooting indoors on a tripod at stationery objects like this, you don't need a high ISO because you can use a slower shutter speed:)

And as for lighting, your not on your own thinking is hard:banghead::D

Sheesh, I must be faster. Bought 6 large bars and a bag for my Bubbles. I might see what I can get :)

Onto yours, like to. Nice colours and the reflection works well.

Think I'd prefer just the balls and having them symmetrical.

Good show.

Cheers.

Not a bad effort there Si....Compostion is strong and adding the reflective surface for the reflections a good idea. Did you use a tripod?...May be worth considering if you want to drop the iso down(y)

Nice job here - taking the easy route away from soapy bubbles, nice touch with the mirror, just needs a bit more light as said and its there.

Back