weekly Mr.Si's 52 Week Challenge - Final Photos Added

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Ok, sorry I'm a little late to the party.
Was deciding whether or not to have a go at this.

Hopefully they'll get better as I get more experienced.

Week 0 - Odd (I might have another go at this as I couldn't get the lighting correct and I didn't get the background correct either!)

Odd
by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Week 1 - Line(s)

Finger
by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Hi, Odd, nice take on the them. A little light and slightly OOF.

Line, another interesting idea. A bit more shadow in the would add a bit of depth.

Cheers.

Week 2 - Play.

Ok, there's two here, I know, naughty but I couldn't resist.

1. My cat, PLAYing
It's out of focus I know, but I thought it was a great capture anyway.
Playing with my cat with a 50mm prime attached to a crop sensored camera, only just had enough room to frame it and a bit of luck for her to pounce!

Play - Cat
by Mr_Si, on Flickr

2. This is my second go, which was going to be my only one until I got the above picture.

Play
by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Well first off both images fit the theme well but the first image is not doing it for me as its oof. The second image i like better while showing as very noisy on my laptop screen the focus on it is slightly better and i like the composition.

Shame the cat one is oof - but the other one works well enough for me.

2nd image for me (y), but as Mandy mentioned, it does look very noisy :)

compositionally speaking the cat one works, but the combination of focus / shutter speed let it down.

nice idea for the second, my eye naturally ends up on the record button though..... they do say red is the colour that jumps out at you first from an image, you have the DOF and focus point right here though. Maybe a selective desatuation of all but the green triangle??

Thanks all,

Regarding the noise, I'll try to re-take the photo, at a lower ISO, it was on auto-iso I think, and so it chose 3200 on my D7000

As promised, a B&W conversion, with an exposure increase of about 0.45
I'm not sure how to do a selective colour thing but It's something I'm gonna learn.

Play - BW
by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Edit - that was easier than I thought it would be!

Play2
by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Last edited:
Edit - that was easier than I thought it would be!

Learning already - nice one! That Selective colour edit draws the eye nicely down to the play button, which didnt happen before.. Careful though, Selective Colour (SC) is not a technique enjoyed by everyone!! ;)

The version in B & W with the green play highlight works really well for me. It is much obvious what the subject is and deals with all the other problems like the image bing noisy. Well done

Odd - Certainly odd. I couldn't work out what it was until you mentioned cake
Linear/Line - I hadn't even thought of that as a take on the theme. Well done
Play - I'm afraid the cat one is a non-starter for me due to the lack of focus/blur. However the other image is good. I like the use of the diagonal and the DoF on the CD/DVD(?) player. I'd go for the mono conversion as my favourite of the three as I'm not a fan of selective colour. I think converting to B&W has allowed the noise mentioned to work in your favour.

The full colour version I was more drawn to the record button than the play button.
Love the b/w conversion with selective colouring.

Hi Simon

sorry it's taken me so long to pop in !

Odd......think the focus went to the glass bowl rather than the duck but it's Odd for sure

Play....like the color shot for the little splashes of color but the mono for the better look of lighting, shadow at the front appears less harsh in mono

PLay.......would have been & is perfectly on theme with good use of diagonals ( cat coming in top left & string going out almost lower rh corner ) just a shame the shutter speed wasn't slightly faster

ttfn

Play: I like the grainy picture of the amp in colour, the light is doing more. Not sure about the mono. Suprised you chose the green play button to colour pop. So subtle I nearly missed it. I might have chosen the red instead.

Gerry

Play - the play button isn't quite dominant in the frame niether is the display showing the playing track. The B&W conversion doesn't change the composition. Just not quite working for me.

Simple idea for the CD player works for me, final one wit the blue play button being my favourite. not so keen on the cat shot - I had a similar idea but with the little pests being so unpredictable it proved too tricky!

Last edited:
Hi All,
Here's my Week 3.

Ok, so had a few thoughts, the Eye, Harry Potter's first Golden Snitch and others, but they've been done and done well!

I had a great idea when watching the skiing on Sunday when Aksal Lund Svindal was 0.00 of a second behind at the first intermediate, but that was a backup as it was just a photo of the TV screen!

I had some other ideas too, but it was finding the time and getting the theme, so decided to do something that was in my home.

I hope you like.

Close up of a Closed guitar case.

Close
by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi sorry seem to have missed your thread, the second image for close is much better, not sure the B+W is doing it ant favours
the lock seems slightly lost

Back