My 52 - Updated *Week 30 - Colour*

Well I for one don't have a problem with that...(y)

Don't worry take all the time you need...(y)

Well, when I say quick - I mean quick, I'm done, it isn't my best shot and I don't 'do' Lanscape photography, BUT, This is the most fitting for the theme that I have come up with!

y0p1dy_74c74dcb39a0923937ce87dda08bfd51.jpg

There's plenty of strong lines in that image, and I keep being drawn to the 5 rooves in the upper left. Personally, I think that the other rooves running across the picture, and all the trees break up the lines a little bit too much and it feels a bit disjointed. Perhaps zoom in on those in the upper left, or crop in...

Well done for finding the shot - some weeks are harder than others! :clap::clap:

I like the idea and the only slightly distracting area for me is the bottom left. A small crop off the left and the bottom would emphasise the much stronger lines in the rest of the shot.
:)

... and it looks sunny! We haven't seen much of that this week. :(

Jean

I'll do the crop this morning :)

Yes LOOKS sunny, this was the only sunny gap of the day!! raining before and after this shot. :(

Firstly, apologies for missing your Simple shot. For some reason I miss one out a week and this week was your turn :D) Love the creativity behind this shot and it's well executed with a good DOF :clap::clap::clap:

Linear - this is a hard one for me to crit as it doesn't say anything to me, sorry :(

Sorry but I'm with Bruja - I'm not sure what I would do with that scene as it's just sooo busy and there is no real focal point. Well done for getting the shot in though - I know how some weeks run away from you.

You did give me an idea for a linear dog picture though: I'm thinking a shot of a hand holding the lead (with woofer attached to the other end obviously) with some natty DOF work to throw the hound oof making the lead the focal point... I'm going to keep that idea on ice in case we get another reshoot week :D

So another little 'is this better' shot, but this one is not a variation of my entry, this is what I intentionally took for this task, when I realised I wasn't gonna be able to carry through my original ideas - and then I uploaded the pic and realised what AWFUL colours it had, and what awful shadows casted too :(

But here it is anyway. Still not amazingly on theme but more of a focal point at the least - sorta[althought the hands and leads make it very busy, I know]
y0pltn_74c74dcb39a0923937ce87dda08bfd51.jpg

[having to use fotopic at the moment - so, sorry for soft pictures!!]

Before I say anything else Shorty, can I just say how much I admire your ability to try,try and try again.

The rooftops pic does lack a little focus for me too, I would like to see a really tight crop on just those roofs in the left hand corner and not much else, but I don't know if that is possible or if going in too close would lead to a total loss of clarity.

Either way it fits the theme and has lovely tones to the greens, which I often find a problem.

The dog pic is not as clear, my Oh my dog is that a cocker spaniel I spy....one of my favourite flavours of dog.

Well done for perseverance :clap: :clap: :clap:

sorry for the late catch-up...

"Longing" - I had a look at the other shots that you'd taken and was a little disappointed that you didn't go for this one. I think it's great! (y) Failing that, you could always use it for emotion? ;) :LOL: i like the one you've gone for, but for me the noise detracts from the composition :( sorry.
Maybe it's best to set the ISO a bit lower? i've noticed a few of your shots are a little on the noisy side. what do you think? :shrug:

Linear - Great idea (y) shame about all the pesky trees being in the way :LOL: also could perhaps do with a bit of a contrast tweak maybe? reminds me of a true concrete jungle! :LOL: fits the theme well.

Simple - Fantastic! absolutely nailed that one! :clap: DOF is superb, so is the lighting and angle, and composition! perfect for the theme! well done! :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was hoping by this stage I'd feel more comfortable togging something else except animals, but, nope - I seem to get 'ideas' better, if an animal can be included.
Yet, those shots aren't exactly improved either. But hey, persistance and all that!

Jammy, almost all my shots are left on ISO400, unless - like the Longing shots, they had to be 800, as the rooms were very dark because of the bad weather at the time. And a couple of other shots MAY have accidentally been left on 800, but I'll look at the EXIF later to see - which shots stand out in particular for you as being noisy?

And thanks for the comments :)

I'm catching up too - sorry Shorty!

Simple is fantastic - a simple idea very very well executed in my humble opinion - its a 'wish I'd thought of that shot' :D Nice one!

Linear - hmmm - I can see where you were going but I think a slightly tighter crop to emphasise some of the lines would have been more successful :( I think the linear doggie pic is more on theme :) and, had it been a little sharper, would have been the one :D

Right, now I KNOW I coulda done better than this, but this is the shot that came out best, and showed the emotion properly - without actually knowing the dog - she's not a very grinny dog, so a 'happy' shot wasn't possible, esp as she's just recovering from a leg op at the moment so is not allowed many/long walks, and is therefore very fed up and bored

Here is this weeks' entry.
3554424136_801e3a818f.jpg

And this weeks joke entry :p - which doesn't appear to be working, oops!

Last edited:
I like it. It seems a little dark on here, but that's my lappy screen. The detail is there along the nose. She does look rather fed up, so well done on capturing the emotion there. I think I'd have preferred to have all the ear in shot, I don't think the leg detracts. Good shot for a tough theme (y)

You've caught her expression very well - 'I'm fed up, bored and I want a walk' - dogs can be such emotional blackmailers (well ours are!).:)

You have battled well with difficult lighting here - from both sides, but getting down to a low level has made the most of the markings on her fur.

I hope her leg's soon better and she gets those walkies. :)

Jean

You've caught her expression very well - 'I'm fed up, bored and I want a walk' - dogs can be such emotional blackmailers (well ours are!).:)

You have battled well with difficult lighting here - from both sides, but getting down to a low level has made the most of the markings on her fur.

I hope her leg's soon better and she gets those walkies. :)

Jean

Agree with Jean here - its a cracking expression and that 'eye level' view is just great :)

The lighting just really works for me and adds to the emotional content!

Very nice! :clap:

Awwww, the expression made me chuckle!! She really does look fed up!!

I agree with the other comments so far, but would add that I really like the way the light hits her between the ears, as it add to the detail. :clap: :clap:

I always like looking at pictures of doogies!!

Thanks for the comments guys. :D really apprciate them. I DO have a shot of her in exactly the same pose, but zoomed out a little, except the editing hasn't worked too well because of the zooming out.

In both the pics there's actually a metal table leg running through her leg/side and I've had to clone that out from running through the picture and the zoomed out edit hasn't turned out so well with the cloning - so I chose this.

But I'm gonna try harder and harder each week - there's no need for excuses :)

Good expression makes this shot, appart from the slight amputations :)..., its a very good shot, well done.

A lovely shot and good to see you are learning from the 52, I know I am. Keep up the good work!

Mark(y)

Right - this week another step-back and a rather dull and not necessarily to the point - shoot.
Like I said - all I ever seem to have excuses. But despite this being a really hard week, I think it doesn't help I'm all over the place at the moment, have only had one day at home and am at another client's home atm - although this has been to my advantage as it provided me with my shot.
So - after trying to find 'complex' trees in the woods. I have ended up with this shot.
The rather COMPLEX, tortoise. I've heard allsorts about their diva attitudes and the way they have to be kept - the owner is about to buy them a new home because they app don't like certain textiles[like glass] So that's complex enough for me......

3578852176_a3de003fa4.jpg

I would like to have seen him slightly more into the frame, like the stuff he is walking on, thats fitting the complex theme well.

Good stuff.

I like it, the complex texture of the shell, facial skin and legs is clear. Is that some form of complex food mountain too ? Good shot, well focused. (y)

Thanks guys :D
Hyster, that's all the room there is, I had to crop the pic a lot, and do some cloning, because there's a big red flowerpot in the way, and they have glass doors which only open so much, I woulda taken the glass doors off but I don't trust myself around glass items! :LOL:

I've always thought tortoise shells are fascinatingly complex so this does it for me :)

Nice sharp well composed shot (especially with what you had to contend with it seems :))

Whats his/her name? :)

Thanks guys :D
Hyster, that's all the room there is, I had to crop the pic a lot, and do some cloning, because there's a big red flowerpot in the way, and they have glass doors which only open so much, I woulda taken the glass doors off but I don't trust myself around glass items! :LOL:

In that case a big thumbs up...

I'd have insisted he be allowed to roam free for a bit to get a nice downward looking shot on his shelll - might have looked good filling the frame :)

Agree with John the shell is a complex structure, so this fits the theme. Keep it up.

Mark(y)

I'm sorry you've had a tough week, Shorty. I hope this one is better. :)

I love tortoises and the complex patterns on their shells, the network of wrinkles on their necks and their ability to disappear from the world into their shells. Mysterious and complex creatures. The chap/chappess in your photo looks slightly amused by all the attention. :)

Well done for getting a lovely shot in very difficult circumstances. (y)

Jean

I've always thought tortoise shells are fascinatingly complex so this does it for me :)

Nice sharp well composed shot (especially with what you had to contend with it seems :))

Whats his/her name? :)

Don't know, don't think the two of them are named - I'm at a client's house so they're not mine!

In that case a big thumbs up...

I'd have insisted he be allowed to roam free for a bit to get a nice downward looking shot on his shelll - might have looked good filling the frame :)

Same as above. They don't come out of their little home, or at least I wasn't told they do/are allowed to, so unfortunatley I couldn't do that :( - Would be lovely for them to be out in this weather though, but they're not mine.

I will keep this info in my mind though, cos my rescue cente has a resident tortoise so I can get good practise at tortoise shots with him - He's called Tommy :LOL:

I so admire your determination to produce a submission every week whatever your circumstances are. :clap::clap:

It's so easy to be self-critical but as Marcus says you have improved so much. (y)

Emotion - you've done really well with the poor lighting conditions and the eyes are so expressive. Definitely fits the theme. (y)

Complex - a bit cramped but certainly shows the complexities of the animal. (y)

Now get out of your comfort zone (circumstances permitting of course :D)

It's all too easy to not get out of my comfort zone, and I think this week isn't helping - so nothing uncomfortable just yet[yay for me :LOL: - and sorry for you guys]

I feel like these tasks are making me THINK more, but they arent making me get out of my comfort zone of including animals in shots, but the having to think long and hard about having to execute the shot/get what I want to come across[not always successfull, but the process is there] I am seeing it help me on a daily basis, and now when I'm at the rescue centre - I am doing, what I never did before, and not taking many shots where I've not THOUGHT about what may be in the way/easy to clone out.

But like I said, the process is there but not always a successfull result/quite what I aimed. But it's a step up from before and literally just pointing and shooting and praying there was a good 'un among the shots!

week 22 - Time(for a walk) - Damn dog :LOL: she moved JUST as I was about to snap[loves the toy that infront of her] this is the only shot I took that she was actually looking at me for, so it's won, but some other shots handled the colours a tad better[is overcast here]

I promise someday soon I'll take a picture that propely relates to the task :p

3595018900_b0fd5130ab.jpg

OR B+W?
3595031270_68b08479fb.jpg

Last edited:
i prefer the colour tbh love the expression you have caught, it says wtf are you doing? take me for a walk already :)

the black and White for me, very nice! What do you mean I'm biased??

Gotta agree with Ruth and I also prefer the colour as it has, to me at least, more details in the fur.

Back