My 52 - Updated *Week 30 - Colour*

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm back in full swing this week, lots of ideas but no real time for things. This week has been a bit of a downer and I'm not sure when things'll look brighter...Not til beginning of August I don't think, when I'm away at work again.

Anyway, This week, Highlights I've chosen a 'highlight' of photography. A real 'wow' or simple 'OH!' moment when a picture you thought, after taking it, would be straight for the bin actually turns out pretty well and I personally am quite please of this shot. It isn't great by any means but Mia, our Cockatiel doesn't ever come out her cage since she moved in this bigger one, she's a bit of a depressed bird, and when she does 'come out' it's usually just to sit on the doorway[which she was doing here] or to sit on my shoulder for a bit. Anyway, this picture I'd used my flash for - when actually I really didn't need to. So everyting was blown, and a very very simple tweek in RAW editor and I actually quite like it. Her expressions and the way the background is completely seperated from her is pleasing to my eyes :)

So, here is my highlights of photography - the moments you're surprised you got.
3707216372_42d600e83f.jpg

Excellent shot, great composition, sharp where it matters and I like the negitive space at the top right, love the expression.

Looks like you shot this at quite a wide aperture and got the focus spot on.

Very strong shot, good to see you raising the bar.

Excellent shot, great composition, sharp where it matters and I like the negitive space at the top right, love the expression.

Looks like you shot this at quite a wide aperture and got the focus spot on.

Very strong shot, good to see you raising the bar.

:plus1: - I totally agree with Hyster - alovely shot, which you must be thrilled with.

I love your take on the theme - a shot turning out better than expected is enough to put a smile on my face for a whole day. :D

Please tell Mia I think she's a very good-looking bird. :love:

Jean

Catch up time...

Development - first effort lacked punch, second effort overcooked, third effort just right. I'm not sure it fully meets the theme but I see where you were going with the idea.

Reshoot - fab reflection of the sky, and a bit abstract which is always interesting (y)

Night - I also found it basically impossible to get a shot actually at night - so I tried for a night themed animal but shot during the day. Don't feel bad about missing a week - just try and get the shot when you can ;)

Highlight - great feeling when a photo comes out better than you could have hoped isn't it? Great composition and colours - Mia is indeed a beautiful bird.

Thanks very much guys. As of late I've been gettin fairly pleased with results from photos, it's still very much the odd one I am pleased with, but it's becoming a more regular occurance, but that picture really is a fave of mine.

Thanks very much guys. As of late I've been gettin fairly pleased with results from photos, it's still very much the odd one I am pleased with, but it's becoming a more regular occurance, but that picture really is a fave of mine.

It's a great feeling isn't it, when you get something good out of the camera - I'm quite a bit behind you and only just starting to get there.
I can see why you like that one - you've really captured something with it, even if it wasn't intentional.

It's such a shame that she's depressed, although it sounds like she's bonded with you. Is there any particular reason?

That she's bonded, or depressed? Bonded with me, dunno she's always taken a liking to me 'depressed'[more unhappy I'd say] when we first got her we had a budgie aswell, they werent caged together but we used to let them out their cages together and they'd 'swap' cages and he'd sit in hers next to her. He died a couple years after we got her and she's become more n more withdrawn since, her old cage was a bit too small for her in the sense she suffers from night frights[typical to species] and had done a lot of damage to her wings over this time. I think being in the bigger cage she doesn;t feel as secure as the one she had been in for years, she only uses two perches out of the 6 she has in there and one of them she only uses when drinking.

I've asked for a couple of years if we can get a budgie to cage next to her but the mother says no, sadly.
So I just pay her as much as attention as I can - which she doesn't tolerate much, really...She likes hissing at people :LOL:]

Last edited:
Catch up time sorry I'm a bit behind with some of these...

That Reflection shot was a brilliant one... I loved the lighting/sky...:clap:

Hightlight...what can I say but also brilliant, great focusing/lighting and so sharp on the eye, truly fantastic shot...be proud...(y)

Sarah, It's been a good 7 or so years, so unfortunatley not. We do have a parrot, but he's obv a bully to her and we most certainly don't let them out together!

Thanks very much Spartacus

What a great, well-composed, great DoF shot, and I can see why you felt such a positive gut reaction to it when you processed it. :clap::clap::clap:

So threatening to send the boys round seems to have worked :LOL:

I'm glad (y)

Ypur highlight shot is such a lovely capture - the colour is wonderful and the eye and face so sharp - pose and composition really work too :)

I very much like that one (y) :)

I regret posting that photo now, cos nothing is gonna improve from that, so I'll be getting worse not better!! :LOL:

I have two entries this week, couldn't decide which I prefered!

So - fun this week - aren't we having lots!!!

3728787397_9d3a1a5bf9.jpg

And

3727210282_3c09a7e615.jpg

EDIT: changed first pic, had added the wrong one!!

Last edited:
Shorty i missed your hightlight sorry, i think its a great pic (y)

With regard to fun the first is well exposed and the only fault from my pov is the fact you have cropped his feet.

Sorry, missed the Highlight shot. I really like it. It's spot on and it looks like it's eyeing you up suspiciously. Well done.

For fun, they both show the theme well and the dogs are obviously enjoying themselves. But I prefer the Kitten. The exposure looks good, not easy with the white and black, the paws look a little over, but it's nothing too bad and I don't think it detracts form the pose. Not sure about this bit, just something that's occurred to me, it might be good with a little more in front of the kitten :thinking:

Shorty, I don't think you need to worry about topping your highlight shot. I think that both of your fun ones are great, although a very different style to "Highlight".

The sense of perspective in the first one really works for me.
I haven't got around to taking my fun shot yet, and I was thinking of doing something with the dog and her toys . . . I might have to rethink now because that one will put my effort to shame.

The kitten one is just cute !
Is that the same kitten as in your thread on "animals and nature"? It looks very similar.
I thought that your photo on that thread was adorable, but in this one where you haven't got the clutter in the background is just lovely.

Thanks for the comments, guys, John is there anyway I can create more 'room' infront without any form of reshoot? Cos there's no chance on this earth I can reshoot that exact shot, or indeed similar :LOL:

Sarah, thanks. It isn't the same kitten, no, different litter, that kitten in Animals.... Was the age then that this kitten is now, the rescue have two litters atm, a Week and a half between them, maybe 2weeks, I think!
I do prefer this shot to the other, yeah.

And thanks very much for saying I don't need to worry[even though I do :p]

eerrmmm.... not sure really... extend the canvas at the bottom and clone the flooring in ? Equally it works as it is so I wouldn't worry about it ;)

Like the highlight shot and the kitten is my prefered for fun , well done (y)

I love to see dogs enjoying a good game together - and you've caught the action really well. Great fun. :)

The kitten is sooooooo cute, and looks full of mischief and fun. :love: Ok, so I'd like a bit more floor in front of her, but she's still gorgeous.

After those 2 shots you can forget the downhill route you were talking about after Highlight - the Fun shots are bang on target. (y)

Jean

I love to see dogs enjoying a good game together - and you've caught the action really well. Great fun. :)

The kitten is sooooooo cute, and looks full of mischief and fun. :love:

After those 2 shots you can forget the downhill route you were talking about after Highlight - the Fun shots are bang on target. (y)

Jean

I can only agree, you aren´t going downhill. My favourite is the kitten and I love the way she is framed. You´ve caught her facial expression perfectly and that´s what holds your eye :clap::clap:

Screw it, it's not exactly like there's possibly ANYTHING else that can be done with this theme, surely.
3746825761_7460d8e08d.jpg

Might change it, but know that's not likely. AND also for the fact since the damn theme was announced I've not been able to get the song out of me 'ead!!! :LOL:

Oh and Flash and a lappy screen. NOT GOOD, wow there's dust everywhere, even after cleaning :eek:

Last edited:
:D... That's a good interpretation of the theme.. doesn't look like an easy shot to shoot though. Damn dust gets everywhere...

AND also for the fact since the damn theme was announced I've not been able to get the song out of me 'ead!!! :LOL:

:bang: grrrrr. Guess what's going round in my head right now?

I really like that interpretation.
The interesting thing with these 52s is the number of different takes on a theme that you get to see.

:clap: on getting so clear a photo from a laptop screen . . . definitely NOT easy at all.

Nice shots all of them!! Lovin the bird shot, you have captured its facial expressions well, The two dogs playing tuggy are excellent!! (lovin the tail on the staffie) and the Lionel Richie track cover is ingenious!! well done :clap: :clap:

Fun:

I love the kitten shot but the dog's playing fits the theme better. Shame about the fence in the background but they certainly look like they are having fun.

Easy:

It does fit the theme but it's not doing much for me I'm afraid - not quite up to your usual standard ;)

So how are you getting on with the new camera - I'm so jealous!! :D

Well, tbh I've not been able to have much of a play, gutted I listened to my sister yesterday and took the D40 to a training class with one of the rescues, cos I'd forgotten it was on the D80 that I'd bumped the ISO and not that, so when I grabbed the camera when the dog[fearful of dogs/people] decided to take a huge liking to an uneutered weimmie and they ran around....Hardly a thing came out. But...There's always next week.

It is a lush camera though.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

:bang: grrrrr. Guess what's going round in my head right now?

I really like that interpretation.
The interesting thing with these 52s is the number of different takes on a theme that you get to see.

:clap: on getting so clear a photo from a laptop screen . . . definitely NOT easy at all.

cant argue with that :D

Fun first... the dogs is so well shot I can't believe you were not happy with them...:nono:

But the little kitten works better for me...just a tad more space at the paws and it would have been perrrfect...:clap:

As for Easy that's a great interpretation, and works for me...(y)

I was singing that song all last week too :D

And I did think of the Sunday newspaper with a half eaten croissant and a cup of coffee next to it, but I couldn´t take the risk of waiting until Sunday and then it not working out :(

Not up to your usual standard but still a great interpretation on the theme (y)

ps - I´m still singing that song :bang::bang::bang:

Along with Mellow Yellow for this week´s thread :bang::bang:

:LOL: Bruja, what joys.

This is my 'preliminary' shot for this week, cos time seems to be running away. So incase I don't get a chance to put my proper idea down. Here is this weeks 'rich' colour.

I find myself pushing the contrast and black sliders when PPing shots now, and the colours are always SO rich with this lad.[doesn't help I love him enough already...WITHOUT him being so photogenic :LOL:]
3772302302_c34862d6c4.jpg

And is it really sad that over half my ideas for this week have failed for PURE reason everything I wanted to use is covered in cat fur :thinking: darn things :LOL:

Love your fun shots - the kitten stands out for me - huge awww factor - well caught!

Easy - lol you and me both with Lionel :) Nice one :)

Colour is lovely (a tad more space above his head would top it for me) but the colours are Great!

Oooh love spaniels!!! and it looks like he loves his toy!! great doggy take on the theme, with great colour and clarity. :clap::clap:

Back