My 52'ers~ 0-26~2016 part 1

Hi Shirely, I'm not sure if you are looking for feedback on this thread or not but assuming you are it's a good fit for the theme and a lovely old cottage although I think it could do with a bit of a anti-clockwise rotation. It might also be worth a few words explaining why there is "52" project in Personal projects and themes.

Feel free to tell me to butt out if you want ;)

Cobra told me to start it in here:(, so here it is. I would like feedback, I've tried to straighten it but couldn't do it. I want to be able to complete the whole of the 52 themes.

Last edited:
Please don't take that the wrong way, I wasn't suggesting that you had posted in the wrong area, it's just that the folk who hang around here might be wondering what your thread is about, I just thought a little intro to your project might be helpful. I know what and why because I am sad enough to follow the 52'ers discussion but, funnily enough, not everyone does. Just something along the lines of:

I now know what I want to do for my personal project, its the 52's, 0 to 25. How can I do it without messing up my page of photos. I thought I could start at 0 and follow the themes in order. Perhaps I could start the thread in personal projects and leave the photos there. Then if I manage to do all 25, stitch them together, somehow. A sort of catch up, also its nice to go for a walk with a different lens, because I do see lots of things to photo but never have the right lens. I have something old in mind already.

Anyway, it's your thread and you are off to a good start, well done for getting it started and please stick with it (y)

Thanks you Mary, an elderly gentleman lives there but as its a grade 2 listed building everything has to be replaced as near as it was and the expensive is so terrible, he simply cannot afford the repairs. On the upstairs windows are grills to stop Squirrels getting into the house, the creatures used to go into the house and pinch the fruit out of the bowl and they were seen running up the stairs with an apple in its mouth. He tells me wonderful stories about living there. There is a public footpath which goes right past his house, I first past there back in 2010 in Spring and as the flowers were left to grow as really wild, there were Orange Tip butterflies everywhere. The house is in the middle of a wood, his mother back in the 1930's planted all the trees and now they are mature, every tree except Elm's. It is the most wonderful peaceful place ever and I have been given permission to go into the private garden and just listen to the birds whenever I like. In the Spring there are Snowdrops everywhere.:)
Moving on to the next theme which is actually No.1 Metal. There is no Linky as such but I'm storing the photos in my Flickr account but will post them here.
Metal, cast iron gate. My garden gate, reminds me of Peter Rabbits gate ( my Dad's name was Peter)
Any metal by shirleyr2009, on Flickr

No 4 Happy
Happy.jpg

No 5 Abandoned
Abandanded.jpg
Another Chapel is Abandoned

Last edited:
No. 7 Dangerous The other side is always greener but try to get there and the electric fence will get you.....................:eek:

Don't touch.jpg

Only just realised you had this thread as well as the one called "Shirleyr's 52 ...." so forgive the late arrival here. Anyway, I've flitted through the images you have here and can see quite progressive improvement along the way, particularly with the last two - Topical and The Living World. The colour and rays of the sun bursting through those clouds make it a beautiful image. As for the latest offering, my word love the wonderful vibrant colours and the detail on the birds (baby robin?) feathers. Really good stuff - keep it going.

Your my second customer, thank you for dropping by. Its a Wren:):welcome::ty:

Your my second customer, thank you for dropping by. Its a Wren:):welcome::ty:
My pleasure Shirley. Did you mean to have two separate threads? This one is registered in the Personal Project forum which is fine but sits as an individual thread - it sits apart. On the other hand, this thread, "Shirleyr's ...", is registered within TP52 and as such forms part of the TP52 community and that means anything you post is flagged to others like me within the group, to view and comment. Hope this makes sense.

My pleasure Shirley. Did you mean to have two separate threads? This one is registered in the Personal Project forum which is fine but sits as an individual thread - it sits apart. On the other hand, this thread, "Shirleyr's ...", is registered within TP52 and as such forms part of the TP52 community and that means anything you post is flagged to others like me within the group, to view and comment. Hope this makes sense.
Yes, to whatever you just said:thinking:

Week 10 ~ Spiky
Let down by a Hedgehog, can't wait any longer its holding things up. Just for this theme dropping in two photos.
Spiky two.jpg Spiky one.jpg

Excellent choice for the theme Shirley. Teasels are lovely but I prefer the pine as it stands out so much more against the bg.

"let down by a hedgehog" not a phrase I hear often, both images are good for the theme

Let down by a Hedgehog,
Yeah they are very unreliable, terrible time keepers too :(

Still you came good with the teasel, so sod the hedge hogs (y)

Thanks for your comments, as I'm rather behind, I have the next theme. I hope artiticial would be more like a silk rose but whilst waiting in my car in Porthmadog this afternoon what caught my eye on the famous Cadwalader ice cream shop was a plastic ice cream in cone. My long lens missed the cone but got the ice cream with chocolate flake, so for my
Week 11 ~ Artificial
Artificial.jpg

Artificial all right Shirley - doesn't look either attractive or appetising.

Last edited:
Yep works for me too :)

HI you have a great set of photos there I partiularly like your topical and your living world.

Week 12 ~ Personal ~ My little car, very precious and very well looked after.
Personal.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it does look very well cared for Shirley - nice colour. Like the reflection of the tree in the rear window.

Spiky - Good use of not too shallow DoF on both shots. Plenty of separation makes it work. I do find the bokeh at the top of the second shot a bit distracting, so your choice of #1 is spot on.
Artificial - Hmmm, the focus actually looks like it's on the guttering. Nonetheless, a good spot for the theme.
Personal - I know there aren't 'rules', but you might find it better to leave more space in front of the car. Giving it 'somewhere to drive into'.

Week 13 ~ Effort
These guys are getting the boat onto the trailor, used to do this with my Dad. One person lifts the trailor and then has the weight of the boat as well, the other person turns the winch which again as the boat leaves the water the full weight of the boat is making turning the winch very hard. His hand will be wet and if it slips off the handle unless there is a brake the boat slides back into the sea. So, even though this again was taken with a long lens so its at a distance, I think this qualifies for two people making an Effort.
Making an effort.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it certainly looks a palaver. So fits the theme.
Onto the crit...
White point / balance is a bit off, the scene is lighter than 18% grey overall, so the camera has pulled the whites back to grey. Have a play with the white (& black) points in the editing tool of your choice and you'll get a more punchy image.
There is quite a bit of dead space in the shot too, but as you were using a long lens, then maybe there is not much you could have done about that without cropping the image too much.

Agree with Tim here, perfect subject for the theme, composition wise I'd like to see it not quite so centre, the sea is bland but the wavy sand is with reflections is really nice :) I think you could improve the image loads by bringing that into the viewers gaze more, and couldn't agree more that it must be a mighty effort to sort that boat :)

Back