weekly n1kcy's 52 in 2013 - Week 21 added

4 themes in one photo? That's KIND of a cheat. There you go, 5 weeks covered now. ;)

ok, back to sensible land now with 1 image per week:

Week 18 - Kind:

8737199891_3c1f2be706_b.jpg

Week 19 - Vertical:

8737200407_35894f72f5_b.jpg

Great bird shots Nicky - from your garden too - all I seem to get is Pigeons and magpies!

Nuthatch is great, feed table does work better than the cage feeders

and Mr Great spotted Woodpecker on the vertical pole is top.

Great blur to the BG on both, focus spot on, and sharp too!

2 great bird shots can only echo what Graham says above cant fault them at all :clap::clap:

Thanks for all the comments, we are very lucky to get such willing subjects visit our bird feeders, but it is starting to cost me a fortune in seed!

Thanks for all the comments, we are very lucky to get such willing subjects visit our bird feeders, but it is starting to cost me a fortune in seed!

We are in the same position, at this time of year our feeder gets filled/emptied twice a day!

A couple of crackers there Nicky, with some of the rarer "garden" birds. I'd be chuffed to bits with these.*

Well done. (y)

* (actually I'd be chuffed to bits if either of these came into our garden, never mind getting great photo's of them)

We are in the same position, at this time of year our feeder gets filled/emptied twice a day!

A couple of crackers there Nicky, with some of the rarer "garden" birds. I'd be chuffed to bits with these.*

Well done. (y)

* (actually I'd be chuffed to bits if either of these came into our garden, never mind getting great photo's of them)

The woodpeckers and nuthatches are frequently in the garden, we're fortunate to live in a fairly rural part of Wales and the wildlife is tremendous. The rarer birds we've seen at the feeders include bramblings & redpolls. What is odd is pigeons and doves are a rare sight we don't even see that many blackbirds :thinking:

Hi Nicky ,

4 in 1 - clever idea and well thought out. Like the angle and pov anyway, never mind the theme

Kind - nice clear shot , good b/g and well handled exposure and colour

Vertical - spot on theme (y) Good focus and pov and again good colour. The little white bits on the green b/g are a little distracting - could they be easily cloned out :thinking:

Hi Nicky,
I'd just like to echo what everyone else has said about the bird images (y)
Great natural history shots, sharp focus, vivid colours, soft backgrounds all go together to make these really work. Well done :)

Hi Nicky ,

Vertical - spot on theme (y) Good focus and pov and again good colour. The little white bits on the green b/g are a little distracting - could they be easily cloned out :thinking:

Thanks for your comments, the white bits are rain drops but you're right it would be better without them.(y)

Week 20 - Pattern

8854985623_e43598fb3c_b.jpg

Week 21 - Movement

8855602008_c24017a9a1_o.jpg

Both have wonderful colours.

Pattern, great detail and nice lighting. A Few distractions...maybe a closer crop the exclude the upper leaves.

Movement, yup on theme. Bit more room in front is only crit.

Cheers.

Hi Nicky

Love the green in the Pattern shot , lovely angle , very sharp (y)

Movement............hmmmmnot so sure about this one thought it shows plenty of movement . For me I think , I need to see something perfectly sharp...maybe the horses head ? Sorry

Hi Nicky, its been a while

Pattren - love the detail and colour in this, well spotted,

Movement - right on theme ;) but think a little more sharpness around the Man / horse would have made it for me

Last edited:
liking the fern for pattern - I might have pulled away the Ivy leaves.. but I hate the stuff and pull it off anything I can find in my garden....

the horse and rider - certainly conveying the movement, just seems to be a blurred shot to me though, appreciate at 1/15 sec you're going to struggle to get much sharp, but I feel it needs "something" to be, to make it intentionally burred.

Nicky, I really like Pattern; good colours, good isolation from the background, lovely diagonal, and the interruption of the pattern from those top leaves just makes it; on no account crop them out! (Or so say I.)

Movement: there really is a strong sense of movement here, and the composition and colours are great. Not sure it doesn't fall between two stools though: in a panning shot the subject is usually (at least partly) sharp, while in a movement blur shot we usually get a sharp background and blurred subject. But you know, I like it!

One of the things I like most about reading people's comments is how much variety there is between what people like and dislike. :)

Thanks for the comments, sorry I haven't replied individually I've been really busy with some poorly pets and work but hopefully things are calming down again now.

Right, onto week 22 Below:

9078413177_35c1033722_b.jpg

I do like that I would never have thought of it, very clever :clap:

Thanks, actually when I saw it I wasn't thinking of the theme, but I thoughtit would make a nice desktop wallpaper for my computer. I've ended up using it as the background for my twitter account too.

Love it Nicky.

I tried a similar shot for below but ended up with a dark green gunge shot which i quickly deleted.

Colours and sharpness are brill. Well done.

I'm fortunate that it's a very clear stream, as long as we haven't had any heavy rain.

I think this is a cracking image Nicky (y)

Hi Nicky,

Below, simple yet very effective.(y)

Particularly like the colour tones in this, as Lynne said very calming.

Hahaha, I thought it was this weeks theme "rock" :LOL:

Anyway, I Love it, so shiny and wet I can almost smell the ocean, top marks :clap:

Hi Nicky, I really like Below, but I haven't yet found the trout that I know must be in there somewhere! What I particularly like about this shot, is that although it is very simple and apparently a subject-less pic, there is still so much interest in different ways: colour, wonderful sinuous textures, and the stones make nice leading lines leading my eye around.

Back